555 posts / 0 new / Last post
#1  January 13, 2011 - 9:35am
james's picture
Staff

Full details on jailbreaking the Apple TV 2 with Seas0nPass can be found here.

http://support.firecore.com/entries/387605

Check for latest version

Always ensure you're running the latest version of Seas0nPass. The latest versions are listed below.

• Mac - 0.9.6 (826)
  • PC - 0.9.6.18647

Trouble with DFU mode

Pre-launch checklist

1. Ensure you're using a silver (aluminum) Apple TV remote. The older white (plastic) Apple TV remotes are missing the dedicated play/pause button and will not work.
  2. Disable the 'remote control infrared receiver' option through System Preferences --> Security --> General. (Mac only)

If you're having trouble getting the Apple TV into DFU mode try the steps below once you're at the 'Waiting for DFU' step.

1. Disconnect Apple TV from USB. 
  2. Reconnect, and wait for the rapid flashing light.
  3. (Optional) If you're not seeing a rapid flashing light, hold down the menu and down arrow buttons for about 7 seconds (or until you see the rapid flashing light). 
  4. Hold the menu and play/pause buttons together for 7 seconds (count slowly - one thousand 1, one thousand 2, one thousand 3, etc...)

If all else fails...

1. Connect the power cable along with the USB cable to get into DFU mode. Disconnect the power cable once the restore process begins.
  2. Try a different USB cable - a good, low cost cable can be found here.

Mac specific issues

• Some users have reported issues when Filevault or Clean My Mac are in use. Disabling these should resolve most issues that arise during the jailbreak process.
  • If you're getting errors when creating the IPSW (stuck on Patching Ramdisk) please try the fix found here.

PC specific issues

• If you're receiving errors regarding Microsoft .NET framework you can download and install the latest version here.

Note: If after all this you're still having trouble please open a support ticket and attach your Seas0nPass log file.

Mac log file: SP_Debug.log (locate by selecting the 'Show Log In Finder' option from the Seas0nPass --> Help menu)

PC log file: /Libraries/Documents/My Documents/Seas0nPass/Seas0nPass.log

January 13, 2011 - 10:03am
shahheidari's picture

james,I did everything correctly and when I connect my apple tv (black) to the HDMI it is stuck at the Apple logo as the light on the device is just a slow steady blinking...any idea with what going on?  I have jailbroken and did the tethering as well...thanks!

January 14, 2011 - 6:41am (Reply to #2)
ken2's picture

This was what I observed when I booted the aTV untethered... try repeating the tethered boot.

January 14, 2011 - 5:12pm (Reply to #3)
pmcd's picture

I did to a tethered boot. I am a bit confused here. Is the process as follow? - jailbreak using SeasonPass with the atv attached to a Mac only with the usb wire.- unattach temporariliry- reattach usb and put in power chord at which point it boots ( do you have to force a boot somehow or is pressing tethered booth enough)- unattach the usb cable- attach to TV and ethernetInstall atv flash from Mac ( it sees the atv). Go to ATV----At this point my atv is showing the white Apple screen forever---- Now what? Each time we restart the atv will we then have to jailbreak again and go through the whole process or is the jailbreak permanent until a firmware upgrade? Do we have to keep the atv attached to the mac via the usb cable? I have tried all of this several times. The jailbreak part is easy ( with .66 of SeasonPass). It would be nice to be able to reuse the modified restore images. I think I will wait.... don't want to brick the atv. Plex is nice but not that nice. philip 

January 16, 2011 - 3:56am (Reply to #4)
roemerv.107071's picture

Dear Philip, I experience exactly the same problems. It works one go, and than next time you start it up (next morning the 2nd time) it got hung and a restart lets the apple TV hang on the Apple Logo. I restored the Apple TV 2 now with Apples update. I hope it is not bricked now.I will wait further developments, it is now to buggy on several levels unfortunately.Warmest regards,Roemer

January 17, 2011 - 6:21am (Reply to #5)
macmaniac's picture

The same for me here, it works till I toggle the power (to restart) and the there was the apple logo..... for ever....Hopefully you can fix that

January 17, 2011 - 10:01am (Reply to #6)
rsands's picture

I have the exact same problem as described above. I hope there's a solution.

January 17, 2011 - 2:23pm
breban's picture

I've been unable to get my Atv 2 into DFU mode.  Tried the instructions and other tricks online but still won't work.  Any suggestions?  I'm on 4.1.1.

January 17, 2011 - 6:10pm (Reply to #8)
kerryk.17854's picture

make sure you are putting your apple tv into dfu mode before you do the tethered boot

January 17, 2011 - 6:13pm (Reply to #9)
kerryk.17854's picture
breban wrote:

I've been unable to get my Atv 2 into DFU mode.  Tried the instructions and other tricks online but still won't work.  Any suggestions?  I'm on 4.1.1.

I can help you out if you can tell me exactly what you are doing and at which point of the jailbreak you are doing it. I have been raping my apple tv 2g the past couple of days working on figuring out other peoples problems :) happy to help,kerryk.17854 (nandor690)

January 17, 2011 - 7:28pm
pmcd's picture
james wrote:

4. When performing a tethered boot timing seems to be important. You will want to ensure the HDMI cable is connected promptly once the tethered boot process is complete, and before the white light on the AppleTV stops flashing.

Hi James,I think for some ATV users the jailbreak process goes fine, but tethered boot will not work with the current instructions to put the ATV back into DFU mode. The power cable has to be not connected to get it into that mode. If the SeasonPass instructions could be modified to include that then that would be great. I tried many times with SeasonPass and the tethered boot. It failed right at the DFU stage.I could be wrong but I suspect that is the problem. The utility is otherwise really nice for me. philip