SSH Connection Refused

I am having similar troubles. Ssh no longer works after having installed multiple software via ssh as well as from xbmc repositories on my atv2 with iOS 5.1.
if I am going to have to rejailbreak, I’d like to get some confirmations or advice whether this is truly a virus, or if there is something funny going on with the new jailbreak, nito or xbmc.
I sent in a report via the maintenance menu. Are there other ways to help diagnose the problem?

I have the same problem. Seasonpass has the icon on the main TV2 screen, but Connection refused when trying to SSH to it. Tried putty tried xterm, I don’t think this is working. 

Try this:

1. Re-jailbreak (restore in iTunes and update to latest firmware) first
  2. Use SeasonPass then TV Flash (hopefully you’ve purchased)
  3. After TV Flash- restart Apple TV
  4. Install everything hou want in “Maintenance”- but install Nito TV last.
  5. Open Putty. Use default login “root/alpine”- enter your IP (found in “Settings/About”)
  6. Once you’re in, type: “passwrd”
  7. You can now change your default password (advisable) It will have you re-enter.
    Once done, type “exit” (no quotation marks)

Now that your password has been changed, you shouldn’t encounter any problems. Credit goes to threads I’ve read here and it has worked for me on 3 ATV’s with same problem. :slight_smile:

By the way… If you’re on a Mac, you can use terminal.

Ok I re-jailbroke my ATV2 and it worked first time  :) Previous problems as it happens were caused by iTunes. I re-installed it with the same library and problems over.

However, I would do this differently to icatchchaos in that I recommend changing your password as soon as you successfully jailbreak your ATV2 and before you install anything else after SeasonPass. You need to change the password ASAP to avoid a risk of the worm infecting you again. 

Type user as ‘root’ and then password as ‘alpine’ in any terminal program that can SSH. I have a PC so use Putty for this and WinSCP for repository transfers.

Once you are in, type, ‘passwd’ not ‘passwrd’ (no ‘r’) and then when prompted, enter a new password. You will be asked to confirm it. Once that’s done go ahead and add anything you want!

Incidentally, many of the instructions tell you to keep unplugging your ATV2 to restart each time you add something. In the terminal program, just type,‘reboot’ instead!

I’ve been monitoring these discussions RE: loss of SSH connectivity on FireCore, XBMCHub, forums.XBMC & other sites. I am getting the sense that a re-jailbreak is the only solution. I was holding out hope that this would not require a full wipe. I get tired of wiping and reinstalling everything (yes, I have backups of XBMC settings, etc) but it is still a process that takes a bit of time.

any suggestions from people on the quickest way to get back to normal? Can I use the Backup FireCore blobs in any way to revert and get SSH back (without re-jailbreaking)? Are there quicker ways to install all the dependencies I need?

I want to have these things installed for a basic use of my ATV2:

5.1.1 jailbroken with Seas0nPass

aTV Flash- can I select which features (Media/HD remote/Block Updates) I want to auto restore?

XBMC 11 beta 3 with some addons (all backed up. I usually use Filezilla to SFTP folders after install) I’ve installed XBMC via SSH or aTV Flash in the past. Flash seems “easier” but is it better/faster than using an SSH session to do it all?

restoring ATV2 settings (screensaver, removing buttons, etc): are they included in the backups? Can I pick and choose what to restore?

So my question is 2 parts:

1. Is there a way to restore SSH access (and change my password from "alpine") without a re-jailbreak?
  2. If I will be re-jailbreaking, what is the quickest way to do it & what backups I have created are best/easiest/safest to use to restore my settings?

I will be posting this question on other forums as well, to try to get a full range of responses. I will post links between them if that would be useful to others.

As you have seen, we’ve been trying to crack this issue together and although we’ve been reading all over the place for solutions, the only one that has worked so far is re-jailbreaking then changing the password. Having said that, putting it all back on again didn’t take as long as I thought it would.

Sorry I didn’t work from back-ups, so I can’t help you with that one. One benefit though was that because I’d tried a few add-ons out, I knew which ones to leave off second time around.

Good luck.

The same goes for my experience- I did try to restore one Apple TV with the backed up firmware, but didn’t have any luck. I agree with ArmyMedic though- it seemed to take less time this go round- or maybe we just know the steps so well that it feels like it is faster…?

I also agree with ArmyMedics addition to my suggestions (above)- The BEST thing to do asap is changing that root password first off. I haven’t encountered any problems, so I think I was okay. Also, as ArmyMedic pointed out- I had a typo on “passwd” Thanks for correcting. 

By the way, has anyone else had error messages (script failed" on 1 Channel plugin? Both Apple TV’s had it working smoothly, but getting errors on 1 Channel for 2 days now.

I was getting more script errors than usual with 1channel so I followed some other advice:

• turn off meta data in 1channel settings
  • reset modem/router/atv/xbmc - literally unplug modem (pull battery) for 15 min. same with other devices. fire up modem, then router, then xbmc. this resets the modem and allows for a "clean" connection again

My performance on menus and streaming through 1channel (and other addons) was improved greatly and removed most of the script errors, too

Thanks FritzBoyle! I’ll give that a try. :slight_smile:

-“Have fun, and try not to take life too seriously.
No one gets out alive anyway”

FritzB: i did try the instructions you outlined above for 1 Channel, but I’m still receiving the same script failed error message…?
Do you think at this point I should delete them out of XBMC and reinstall?

I am certainly no expert. If you are still having trouble, you probably want to visit http://www.xbmchub.com/oldforums/viewforum.php?f=31&sid=0931e8c0d87afcc938bef374041fb769 they support those addons (like icefilms) there.

Be sure to verify your wifi is good, try plugging the atv directly into router, etc. I’m sure you have verified, but it doesnt hurt to remind you.

I would also say you need to be clear about your exact setup (which version of ATV software, XBMC) also, how you installed XBMC & the addons (ssh, NitoTV or repository) sometimes that can make a difference, too.

I would also mention that sometimes the source of the file can be the problem, for instance, I never get good files from filebox, but have good luck with putlocker…That has nothing to do with your setup and everything to do with the site.

Good luck & please let me know if you find something on XBMCHub that is helpful for you.

I have been able to reproduce this issue by doing the following:

1. Jailbreak with seas0npass
  2. ssh into device as root:alpine
  3. apt-get update
  4. apt-get upgrade
  5. reboot

Upon reboot, the UI will revert to stock and the device will no longer accept incoming ssh connections.

So my guess is that the fault lies with one or more of the components that are upgraded in step 4, which must be newer in repo than the version installed by seas0npass and not fully compatible with iOS 5.x on Apple TV.

We are suggesting that people change the password before doing anything else! Since doing that, two of us now do not have the SSH issues.

Interesting. Have you also done an apt-get upgrade via ssh or installed NitoTV or any other components via the GUI? I always change passwords during the first ssh session as well (for both root and mobile accounts) and that didn’t prevent my jailbreak from getting nuked. I really doubt the problem we’re seeing is caused by malware.

I have put everything back on including NitoTV and yes of course updated. Why do you doubt it that it is malware? All the evidence suggests this… a universal login username/password is ideal and easy to take advantage of. 

I could still do everything including add new repositories, except SHH. In my view, the jailbreak was not ‘nuked’ as you described it, I was locked out of SSH and that is exactly what happens in the Ikee worm which affects idevices. 

I have to agree with ArmyMedic- getting items in initially was no problem- however, clearly *something gets through if the default remains.
As for myself, I use fresh copies of SeasonPass, I purchase and have the latest version of TV Flash- in addition, I get all of my 3rd party repos directly from the source. They are all current and working. Types of plugins would include:
1 Channel, TubePlus, Live Tv, Navi-X, IceFilms, PandoraOne (I have paid accounts with Ice & Pandora) and What the Furk.
Again, I don’t yet understand where the problem lies- but I have another Apple TV that I’m doing a test on- I will see how far I get before things go crazy- and I’ll let you know.

We’re still looking into this issue, but here are a few thoughts on the malware theory…

The Apple TV on its own is well protected from malware since it will usually reside behind a router (with built-in firewall), and will rarely, if ever, connect to outside networks.

However, other iOS devices (iPhone, iPad, etc…) will often connect to outside networks, then come back and connect to the same network as the Apple TV. Thus, if malware is to blame for these issues, it’s likely it was first installed onto an iPhone/iPad and then made its way over to the Apple TV.

Do any of those experiencing trouble have a jailbroken iPhone, iPad, or iPod with SSH installed?

I do have a jailbroken iphone, but no SSH. All (or any) apps are purchased from Cydia- (no cracked apps).
To me, it seemed like the issue came from somewhere in Nito (installed via TV Flash)- The reason I say this is that I noticed both Apple TV’s (before being re-jailbroken) had various packages that said ‘update’, but though I did update, they never would. In my past experience, if something did this, a message would come up indicating a need to “fix dependacies”- however, this wasn’t the case for both ATV’s.
Something else that was odd, is that I have a 3rd ATV that I had kept on 4.4.3 firmware and it never closed the SSH- it was working great, but I did end up restoring and re-jailbreaking that one as well because I just wasn’t sure what was going on and I wanted to be safe.
Hope the added info can help, I’m big fan of Firecore. :slight_smile:

One more thing: my iphone (Verizon) is not enabled to connect to any wi-fi networks other than my own at home. I do understand the point you made above, but I honestly don’t think the issue came from my iPhone.