871 posts / 0 new / Last post
  September 5, 2019 - 12:48pm
Andrewtst's picture
Offline
Joined: Aug 2018
Posts: 14
Kudos: 2
  EssamB wrote:

In fact, when I play the Atmos EAC3 demo media with Plex client using the native player under tvOS 13, my AVR shows atmos in the display, so, it seems that Plex tvOS 13 can pass through EAC3 Atmos, True HD is not!

Great to known that it support in iOS 13 beta for Plex.

  September 5, 2019 - 1:00pm
saji2020's picture
Offline
Joined: Aug 2018
Posts: 31
Kudos: 3

Not just Plex but MRMC also supports DD+Atmos even in TVOS 12.4

So infuse also be updated to support it

True HD Atmos is different story it’s TVOS limitation and no app support it so its fine ... but we need DD+Atmos ....

  September 5, 2019 - 2:00pm
archer75's picture
Offline
Joined: Jun 2018
Posts: 43
Kudos: 4
  slashtom wrote:

Guys this is very simple.

Can we get DD+ version of atmos (yes lossy) the reason for this is because people are starting to rip 4k UHD movies with Dolby Vision and DD+ Atmos, yes it's lossy but I'd rather watch a film in DV and DD+ Atmos versus DV and LPCM 5.1 or HDR10 and LPCM 7.1 Lossless.

Atmos is overrated. It's much better to get the HD audio without atmos then to have lossy DD+ with it. Let your receiver upmix the HD audio. Most of you don't have the equipment or the ears to notice that it's not true atmos. And on most content the atmos mix isn't done very well and the upmix will sound better. It's mostly all placebo effect.

  September 5, 2019 - 2:10pm
lazer's picture
Offline
Joined: Mar 2016
Posts: 28
Kudos: 0
  archer75 wrote:

Atmos is overrated. It's much better to get the HD audio without atmos then to have lossy DD+ with it. Let your receiver upmix the HD audio. Most of you don't have the equipment or the ears to notice that it's not true atmos. And on most content the atmos mix isn't done very well and the upmix will sound better. It's mostly all placebo effect.

Somewhat. It is true that most Atmos mixes are not always done particularly well. And it's also true that Atmos upmixers (like Dolby Surround) do a fantastic job. But to say it's mostly placebo and that you couldn't tell the difference between true Dolby Atmos and plain old surround is pretty subjective

  September 5, 2019 - 2:26pm
archer75's picture
Offline
Joined: Jun 2018
Posts: 43
Kudos: 4
  lazer wrote:

Somewhat. It is true that most Atmos mixes are not always done particularly well. And it's also true that Atmos upmixers (like Dolby Surround) do a fantastic job. But to say it's mostly placebo and that you couldn't tell the difference between true Dolby Atmos and plain old surround is pretty subjective

Sure, it is subjective, you're right about that. Though I bet I could setup some blind tests and most people wouldn't be able to accurately point out what was what. I'm confident most people would say the non atmos HD audio with upmix was the lossy atmos track. To my ears it certainly sounds better. I'd love to test it with people.

  September 5, 2019 - 2:37pm
xinseo's picture
Beta Tester
Offline
Joined: May 2018
Posts: 34
Kudos: 5
  archer75 wrote:

Except dolby vision. And it doesn't play atmos in Netflix.

And the shield has poor image quality next to the ATV4k. I have a shield. I use it to collect dust.

Poor image quality? What? If anything, you can switch resolution on the Shield so you should techincally get a better image quality. Your probably haven't seen it up properly.

  September 5, 2019 - 2:48pm
archer75's picture
Offline
Joined: Jun 2018
Posts: 43
Kudos: 4
  xinseo wrote:

Poor image quality? What? If anything, you can switch resolution on the Shield so you should techincally get a better image quality. Your probably haven't seen it up properly.

I've had it since it came out, yes, it's set up properly. It's known to have inferior image quality to the ATV4k and i'm certainly far from the only one saying it. Primarily with content below 4k.

  September 5, 2019 - 3:20pm
JarvisMeier's picture
Beta Tester
Offline
Joined: Dec 2011
Posts: 482
Kudos: 48
  archer75 wrote:

Atmos is overrated. It's much better to get the HD audio without atmos then to have lossy DD+ with it. Let your receiver upmix the HD audio. Most of you don't have the equipment or the ears to notice that it's not true atmos. And on most content the atmos mix isn't done very well and the upmix will sound better. It's mostly all placebo effect.

Why not allow both so the consumer has the option of running either or. A video file with Dolby digital plus and atmos will sound a lot better with the atmos soundtrack than having the Dolby digital plus converted to LPCM.

  September 5, 2019 - 3:22pm
archer75's picture
Offline
Joined: Jun 2018
Posts: 43
Kudos: 4
  JarvisMeier wrote:

Why not allow both so the consumer has the option of running either or. A video file with Dolby digital plus and atmos will sound a lot better with the atmos soundtrack than having the Dolby digital plus converted to LPCM.

LPCM is identical audio. It's bit for bit the same. But if you're comparing two DD+ files, one with atmos, one without, sure the atmos one would sound better.
But when comparing DD+ to HD audio it's a different story. As to why not have both? You'd have to ask the developer that question.

  September 5, 2019 - 3:43pm
bl4ck's picture
Offline
Joined: Aug 2019
Posts: 47
Kudos: 7
  xinseo wrote:

Poor image quality? What? If anything, you can switch resolution on the Shield so you should techincally get a better image quality. Your probably haven't seen it up properly.

Ofc shield tv has sh** PQ I have oppo atv4k and xbox one x and image in shieldtv is the worst.

PS
Even my sat tuner Vu+ ultimo 4k has better pq.

  September 5, 2019 - 4:28pm
slashtom's picture
Offline
Joined: Jun 2018
Posts: 8
Kudos: 1
  archer75 wrote:

LPCM is identical audio. It's bit for bit the same. But if you're comparing two DD+ files, one with atmos, one without, sure the atmos one would sound better.
But when comparing DD+ to HD audio it's a different story. As to why not have both? You'd have to ask the developer that question.

Which is why we’re bringing it up in the Atmos thread. Not to debate randoms on whether or not Atmos difference is placebo.

  September 12, 2019 - 1:44pm
pschakravarthi's picture
Offline
Joined: Sep 2019
Posts: 2
Kudos: 0

While MrMC app on Apple 4K TV able to play ATMOS content (Receiver can recognize it as Dolby Atmos) why can't Infuse ?

  September 12, 2019 - 1:57pm
JarvisMeier's picture
Beta Tester
Offline
Joined: Dec 2011
Posts: 482
Kudos: 48
  pschakravarthi wrote:

While MrMC app on Apple 4K TV able to play ATMOS content (Receiver can recognize it as Dolby Atmos) why can't Infuse ?

Mrmc can only recognize eac3 content with atmos. Not TrueHD content with atmos.

We’ve asked for minimum of eac3 atmos support. It’s just a matter of developers implementing it in infuse.

  September 12, 2019 - 6:29pm
Andrewtst's picture
Offline
Joined: Aug 2018
Posts: 14
Kudos: 2

Yup. Wonder why infuse not implement it until now for Dolby Digital+ in Dolby Atmos.

At least implement this first instead of waiting TrueHD in Dolby Atmos.

Every time new release also like nothing is new. No new added user request function, for example this and also a,b,c selection while scrolling the listing.

  September 15, 2019 - 12:04am
Cristian's picture
Offline
Joined: Mar 2018
Posts: 7
Kudos: 0

I think Infuse should focus for now on implementing Dolby Digital +, this is at least we can get on ATV for now, i guess. On mrmc it is working fine, infuse can do it also.

  September 15, 2019 - 12:27am
saji2020's picture
Offline
Joined: Aug 2018
Posts: 31
Kudos: 3

This is exactly what we needed, at least for paid customers this should be implemented

@infuse support team: pls comment on this feature if you are working on it or not ?

  September 15, 2019 - 8:31am
lazer's picture
Offline
Joined: Mar 2016
Posts: 28
Kudos: 0
  Cristian wrote:

I think Infuse should focus for now on implementing Dolby Digital +, this is at least we can get on ATV for now, i guess. On mrmc it is working fine, infuse can do it also.

What's the use case here though? There's not that much content out there that's DD+ & Atmos though. Most of it is TrueHD + Atmos

  September 15, 2019 - 8:39am
saji2020's picture
Offline
Joined: Aug 2018
Posts: 31
Kudos: 3
  lazer wrote:

What's the use case here though? There's not that much content out there that's DD+ & Atmos though. Most of it is TrueHD + Atmos

There is a lot of content with DD+ Atmos not just TrueHD Atmos
Biggest point is both these format needs to be supported on this app at least for paid users

There is no argument of what content is more or less,, point is support, and DD+Atmos support is already there with many apps in ATV even with TVOS12

Dolby is inferior to Dolby True HD does this mean Infuse should stop Dolby support ?

  September 15, 2019 - 8:48am
Andrewtst's picture
Offline
Joined: Aug 2018
Posts: 14
Kudos: 2
  lazer wrote:

What's the use case here though? There's not that much content out there that's DD+ & Atmos though. Most of it is TrueHD + Atmos

Now plenty of DD+ with Dolby Atmos content.

Infuse should give this option at least for paid user.

By don't care and don't support is a bad movement for paid user.

  September 15, 2019 - 8:53am
saji2020's picture
Offline
Joined: Aug 2018
Posts: 31
Kudos: 3
  Andrewtst wrote:

Now plenty of DD+ with Dolby Atmos content.

Infuse should give this option at least for paid user.

By don't care and don't support is a bad movement for paid user.

Absolutely right and Infuse team is just not responding to this why ??

At least they should give some update as they are working on it or not at all ...

  September 15, 2019 - 9:00am
Andrewtst's picture
Offline
Joined: Aug 2018
Posts: 14
Kudos: 2
  saji2020 wrote:

Absolutely right and Infuse team is just not responding to this why ??

At least they should give some update as they are working on it or not at all ...

Ya. Maybe they don't have ability to do it. Haha!

  September 15, 2019 - 9:36am
lazer's picture
Offline
Joined: Mar 2016
Posts: 28
Kudos: 0
  saji2020 wrote:

There is a lot of content with DD+ Atmos not just TrueHD Atmos
Biggest point is both these format needs to be supported on this app at least for paid users

There is no argument of what content is more or less,, point is support, and DD+Atmos support is already there with many apps in ATV even with TVOS12

Dolby is inferior to Dolby True HD does this mean Infuse should stop Dolby support ?

All fair points. I think everyone just needs to realize that not all requests are immediately prioritized and released ASAP just at the whim of user requests. There's a defined roadmap for all products (Infuse included) with a prioritized release schedule for specific features that are in development. They're not going to just drop everything on their roadmap to work on this just cause we're all asking for it. The best they can do is put it on the roadmap for future development, which they will probably do. Patience.

  September 15, 2019 - 11:11am
JarvisMeier's picture
Beta Tester
Offline
Joined: Dec 2011
Posts: 482
Kudos: 48

I suggest everyone who wants DD+ atmos support upvote the original post here https://firecore.com/forum/topic/23584

The new iPhones support Dolby atmos so this is not only important for tvOS users but also iPhone 11 users as well.

  September 16, 2019 - 11:26pm
bPlaTyPuS's picture
Offline
Joined: Sep 2019
Posts: 9
Kudos: 1

Hi everyone!

I did not have the patience to read the 29 pages :-D, what's the current state?

Yesterday I tried to play a TrueHD.Atmos without success... I mean I had some sound but my receiver was showing "Multi" (not LPCM nor Atmos).

Thanks!

  September 16, 2019 - 11:32pm
NC Bullseye's picture
Moderator
Online
Joined: May 2016
Posts: 2,602
Kudos: 373
  bPlaTyPuS wrote:

Hi everyone!

I did not have the patience to read the 29 pages :-D, what's the current state?

Yesterday I tried to play a TrueHD.Atmos without success... I mean I had some sound but my receiver was showing "Multi" (not LPCM nor Atmos).

Thanks!

This thread has meandered toward every point on the compass but the issue is still active and the one post that matters is the first one.

Have you added your voice to the choir?

•Just Another Infuse User• •Not An Employee Of Firecore• •Certified Curmudgeon•

  September 16, 2019 - 11:50pm
bPlaTyPuS's picture
Offline
Joined: Sep 2019
Posts: 9
Kudos: 1
  NC Bullseye wrote:

This thread has meandered toward every point on the compass but the issue is still active and the one post that matters is the first one.

Have you added your voice to the choir?

yes, I did a feedback and bug report @Apple.

1 year and still nothing, not very encouraging... at least I know I have to use my old NUCi3 and VLC for atmos content.

Thanks.

  September 17, 2019 - 12:26am
bPlaTyPuS's picture
Offline
Joined: Sep 2019
Posts: 9
Kudos: 1
  September 18, 2019 - 6:33am
Sebastian Rasch's picture
Offline
Joined: Feb 2017
Posts: 2
Kudos: 0
  archer75 wrote:

Atmos is overrated. It's much better to get the HD audio without atmos then to have lossy DD+ with it. Let your receiver upmix the HD audio. Most of you don't have the equipment or the ears to notice that it's not true atmos. And on most content the atmos mix isn't done very well and the upmix will sound better. It's mostly all placebo effect.

Certainly true for most of us who maximum own a 6:2 or 7:1 system. Those demigods who own a 9:2 system or higher however are out of luck without Atmos since LPCM just ignores the additional channels (e.g. ceiling speakers).
If you have a system like that you sure want to use all channels as well.

  September 18, 2019 - 6:43am
archer75's picture
Offline
Joined: Jun 2018
Posts: 43
Kudos: 4
  Sebastian Rasch wrote:

Certainly true for most of us who maximum own a 6:2 or 7:1 system. Those demigods who own a 9:2 system or higher however are out of luck without Atmos since LPCM just ignores the additional channels (e.g. ceiling speakers).
If you have a system like that you sure want to use all channels as well.

Your receiver can do an upmix to fill in those upper channels. And in most cases it sounds better than atmos.

  September 18, 2019 - 7:03am
blenky's picture
Offline
Joined: Apr 2019
Posts: 6
Kudos: 0
  Sebastian Rasch wrote:

Certainly true for most of us who maximum own a 6:2 or 7:1 system. Those demigods who own a 9:2 system or higher however are out of luck without Atmos since LPCM just ignores the additional channels (e.g. ceiling speakers).
If you have a system like that you sure want to use all channels as well.

I have a 5.1.4 system and I would like Apple to allow full audio bitstream pass through - which I'm sure will never happen!