12 posts / 0 new / Last post
#1  November 23, 2011 - 12:14pm
maarten2424's picture
Offline
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 2
Kudos: 0

Hello. I have an black Apple TV, 3 days old, and i want to jailbreak it.

But, when i plug my apple tv into the computer, nothing happens, no light or something.

I tried with several usb cables, nothing happened.

 

Is my usb port dead, or a software problem?

How can i fix this?

 

Thanks,

Maarten

  November 23, 2011 - 4:09pm
itimpi's picture
Moderator
Offline
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 2,057
Kudos: 112
  maarten2424 wrote:

Hello. I have an black Apple TV, 3 days old, and i want to jailbreak it. But, when i plug my apple tv into the computer, nothing happens, no light or something. I tried with several usb cables, nothing happened.   Is my usb port dead, or a software problem? How can i fix this?   Thanks, Maarten

You should certainly get the little LED flashing on the ATV2.   The fact that you do not strongly suggests that power is not getting over the USB lead to the ATV2.   Just a check - you are not trying to connect via a USB hub - that is very likely to fail.

I AM A USER - NOT A FIRECORE EMPLOYEE

  November 24, 2011 - 11:26am
maarten2424's picture
Offline
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 2
Kudos: 0

Maybe the micro-usb cables are not good, so it cant get the power it wants?

  November 24, 2011 - 9:17pm (Reply to #3)
itimpi's picture
Moderator
Offline
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 2,057
Kudos: 112
  maarten2424 wrote:

Maybe the micro-usb cables are not good, so it cant get the power it wants?

That is possible, but you said that you had tried several cables with the same result which I thought made this less likely. However you are correct in that it could be the cables.

I AM A USER - NOT A FIRECORE EMPLOYEE

  April 10, 2012 - 11:21am
Thz10's picture
Offline
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 2
Kudos: 0

I have the same problem. All other devices connected to my macbook are working via USB. I can't seem to get the ATV to be recognized... any suggestions?

  April 10, 2012 - 11:42am
ormanton's picture
Offline
Joined: Feb 2009
Posts: 418
Kudos: 0

Plug power cable in, then usb.

 BTW you have ATV3(I'm sure 200%), so there is no JB for it atm.

2008-atv1
2011-atv2
2012-atv3 (getting dusty waiting for a miracle)

  April 10, 2012 - 12:05pm
Thz10's picture
Offline
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 2
Kudos: 0

Yeah you are right! Just disnt realize there was a atv3... Need to watch the apple events a bit more closely!
Lets hope for a quick solution... I switch back to atv1 for the moment :))
Thanks for the fast reply!

  April 10, 2012 - 12:27pm
ormanton's picture
Offline
Joined: Feb 2009
Posts: 418
Kudos: 0

Cool

2008-atv1
2011-atv2
2012-atv3 (getting dusty waiting for a miracle)

  April 10, 2012 - 12:40pm
rs939's picture
Offline
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 2
Kudos: 0

Sorry for being a newbie at this, but I have just bought a new Apple TV2 and I have the very same problem the light will not come on with just the usb plugged in.

I know the cable is good, I have read whats above what is this ATV3 you talk about I assumed the one I had is a ATV 2?

Thanks for any help

EDit : I think I have found the answer in your signature. 2012 ATV's are 3's and of course its not working as you said there is no jailbreak for this. 

 

I am off to sit in the corner with the dunce cap on lol

  April 10, 2012 - 12:52pm (Reply to #9)
ormanton's picture
Offline
Joined: Feb 2009
Posts: 418
Kudos: 0
  rs939 wrote:

Sorry for being a newbie at this, but I have just bought a new Apple TV2 and I have the very same problem the light will not come on with just the usb plugged in. I know the cable is good, I have read whats above what is this ATV3 you talk about I assumed the one I had is a ATV 2? Thanks for any help

 I bet £10 it is atv3. You owe me already! Smile

P.S. NEVER EVER say this again : ''Sorry for being a newbie at this''.    Especially with women .               -this one for free. Cool

2008-atv1
2011-atv2
2012-atv3 (getting dusty waiting for a miracle)

  April 10, 2012 - 12:55pm (Reply to #10)
rs939's picture
Offline
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 2
Kudos: 0
  ormanton wrote:

 I bet £10 it is atv3. You owe me already! Smile

P.S. NEVER EVER say this again : ''Sorry for being a newbie at this''.    Especially with women .               -this one for free.8)

 

PMSL ... that the fastest way I have lost £10 Wink

 

Thanks for the advice Wink

  April 10, 2012 - 1:01pm
ormanton's picture
Offline
Joined: Feb 2009
Posts: 418
Kudos: 0

debt written off  ''for being a newbie at this''  and for PMSL.

Take care mate. Wink

2008-atv1
2011-atv2
2012-atv3 (getting dusty waiting for a miracle)