Submitted by james on August 12, 2011 - 12:27pm

Happy Friday! Today we are pleased to present you with another major update to Media Player for the 2nd gen (black) AppleTV. Version 0.7 adds a number of exciting new features (especially for our friends outside the US) and resolves a number of pesky bugs. All in all, a solid update that moves us one step closer to the final version!

What's new in Media Player 0.7?

• Added new playback menu (hold select during playback)
  • Added support for .srt subtitles
  • Added support for multiple audio tracks
  • Added support for chapters
  • Added support for localized metadata
  • Added support for local cover art
  • Added option to refetch metadata for a specific file
  • Added option to clear all metadata
  • Added toggle setting for volume control
  • Improved metadata fetching (courtesy of themoviedb.org)
  • Improved progress bar controls
  • Improved DVD playback and ff/rw controls
  • Improved audio track selection logic
  • Resolved aspect ratios issues for certain video types
  • Resolved file browsing related crashes
  • Resolved metadata fetching related crashes
  • Resolved audio queue related errors
  • Resolved Top Shelf related playback issues
  • Resolved playback related memory leaks
  • Minor UI improvements
  • Many other miscellaneous fixes

What can I do with the playback menu?

The new playback menu provides quick access to chapters, audio tracks and subtitles. To access this menu simply press and hold the center (select) button during playback. Press the menu button to return to the movie.

Note: Chapter controls can also be accessed by pressing the down arrow on the remote during playback.

Spectacular! Now how do I get it?

With aTV Flash (black) installed, Media Player 0.7 can be downloaded on your ATV2 through the Maintenance --> Manage Extras menu. If you need to re-install aTV Flash (black) links for the latest version can be found under the Downloads tab in your account.

New users can pre-order aTV Flash (black) here.

Enjoy!

Comments

Submitted by amaga on August 12, 2011 - 2:52pm

yes, the same issue for me.. Frown

Submitted by james on August 12, 2011 - 2:52pm

Try unpairing your remote? http://support.firecore.com/entries/259301-my-...

What are you using to navigate if your remote isn't working?

Submitted by craigw.0324 on August 12, 2011 - 2:56pm

Install worked and after a couple of freezes and restarts its working fine. Nice to have chapter support. Still can't get 5.1 sound. When I select the AC3 audio track "2 channel (English)" listed it still only comes through as stereo. Interestingly enough if I swap the channels around in Handbrake (so the AC3 passthrough is the first track) then Media selects it as default and plays 5.1!?

Just can't choose it as an option and have it work in Media?

Submitted by sammyQc on August 12, 2011 - 2:58pm

Works great for me! keep them coming B-)

Submitted by adamdewhurst on August 12, 2011 - 3:31pm

Remote issue is sorted now Smile was using my iPhone and the remote app, but managed to unpair and re-pair them.

Unfortunatly when I select any option on the "Media" menu the system totally crashes, I'll submit a bug report!

Submitted by Anon on August 12, 2011 - 3:33pm

Hi i allready update, but i cant see the subtitle srt. can you help me.

Submitted by Anon on August 12, 2011 - 3:47pm

re-jailbreak solved this problem for me

Submitted by andreass.2910 on August 12, 2011 - 4:07pm

Great work!

Only one problem:

When i play a 1080p mkv video i get an Memory warning (Your device is running low on memory.) after 45 minutes.

normal?

Submitted by Anon on August 12, 2011 - 4:25pm

It's strange. I can see subtitles in some videos, but not in others. Same video format, same SRT format, but different result, why?

Submitted by LarsLauritzen on August 12, 2011 - 4:26pm

The same here, a small howtoo is velcome ??

I have a small bug the sound is great, but the film is lagging it`s not running smoth.

But great work so far :)

Lars/

Submitted by Anon on August 12, 2011 - 4:45pm

I am going to buy this if you people add UPnP support Smile

Submitted by tomiy1 on August 12, 2011 - 5:18pm

would it be possible to add the ability to use folder.jpg files in the same folder as the movie file for the album art as well? (all of us WDTV owners would certainly appreciate that) thanks in advance!

Submitted by holger k.16186 on August 12, 2011 - 5:21pm

after update to 0.7 media player crashes when I want to play a movie ... I OX Lion, up to version 0.6, everything went ok

Submitted by Pilatus on August 12, 2011 - 5:25pm

I also got a problem with subtitles.

When I play a movie(Avi or MKV) I got the subtitles and it works fine.

But with a Serie episode there is no subtitle. How weird is that........(I've tried 20 series....)

Scaling issue? (Serie is playing Full screen)

Title and sub have the same name.(I think everybody knows that already)

Submitted by Anon on August 12, 2011 - 5:30pm

Hi James,
Why isn't the Unicode (UTF-8) format working? When I choose it, no subtitles are shown.
we need it in order to use Hebrew *.srt files Confused
moreover, some *.srt files are not recognized at all...

Submitted by Anon on August 12, 2011 - 5:38pm

cant upgrade said installation failed

Submitted by Anon on August 12, 2011 - 5:39pm

So for the people who owned ATV1s and supported you guys right from the start, what about us?

Submitted by rvmeush on August 12, 2011 - 5:45pm

I am getting constant lockups after installing .7 Media Player.   I'm not even trying to play a movie, just navigating the menus.   After a while a reboot seems to take place and I can try to navigate the menus again.  The unit is unusable in this condition.   My Apple TV version is 4.2.2.    Is there something I can do to get things working properly again?

Submitted by Anon on August 12, 2011 - 5:54pm

Hi! Great improvement on subtitle support.

If I may suggest, the encoding should be pre-setted. That way some of us wouldn't have to choose the type on every movie/episode. Me for example always use Western (ISO Latin 1).

Other than that...JUST GREAT!

Submitted by nimernet on August 12, 2011 - 5:55pm

To anyone experiencing the (rather frustrating) reboot issue - I managed to fix this by re-jailbreaking and starting from scratch - I used the latest version of Seas0npass (available from this page), then re-installed aTV Flash all over again, and since then have had no problems. Good luck!

Submitted by Anon on August 12, 2011 - 5:57pm

Doesn't work for me either, just crashes when selecting Media. Hangs for about a minute or two then atv reboots. Completely unusable. This is an offline atv if that's related. On a private network with no Internet access. Thanks.

Submitted by Anon on August 12, 2011 - 5:58pm

Hi! Great improvement on subtitle support.

Other than that...JUST GREAT!

Submitted by james on August 12, 2011 - 6:05pm

It will try to set the encoding type automatically based not the ATV's language settings and we'll probably add a main setting in a future version so you don't have to set the encoding each time.

Submitted by Anon on August 12, 2011 - 6:05pm

I have the same problem. Subtitles with MKV files shows up without problem. When i am trying to play AVI i see checked subtitle file in the center button menu, but subtitle in the movie dont work.

Submitted by james on August 12, 2011 - 6:11pm

Thanks for the feedback. Do you recall the version of AppleTV software you were previously running?

Submitted by james on August 12, 2011 - 6:13pm

Any chance you can send in one of the srt files you're having trouble with?

Best to open a support ticket with an attachment.

Submitted by Anon on August 12, 2011 - 6:24pm

that would by great. i am sure some of us (it is my case too) use default english UI with is ok because language our unknown little country is not on the list Smile

Submitted by Anon on August 12, 2011 - 7:12pm

try to do a clean restore using the latest Seas0npass, and then install aTV Black Beta 6. (and Media Player 0.7)
It solved the problem for me.

Submitted by Anon on August 12, 2011 - 7:15pm

Thanks james. I filled the form and attached an Hebrew srt file in hope you can fix it.
btw, another problem I've been experiencing is that no metadata is collected by the media player at all.... is that a known issue?

Submitted by creativo on August 12, 2011 - 7:42pm

I can't see any subtittle, I try every file tha I have and don't work.

The subtittle most have...?

Submitted by Anon on August 12, 2011 - 8:40pm

rmvb support?

Submitted by Anon on August 12, 2011 - 10:41pm

WOW, WOW, WOW....another awesome update guys. The "incremental" FFD & RWD option, like that of Netflix (when you press down on the controller), is SWEET!... exactly what I was hoping for. Far way less crashes using Time Capsule for streaming also. Keep up the good work guys.

Submitted by Anon on August 13, 2011 - 12:58am

Finaly ,
How we can see proper Cyrillic encoding ?

Submitted by jorger.5697 on August 13, 2011 - 1:58am

I installed new 0.7 media player and try to play a 1080p, DUAL+Subs mkv file. No Subs detected, no sound, just noise in both languages. VLC plays the file without any problem and detects languages and subs. I also tried a dual+subs .avi file and languages were detected perfectly but no subs.

Submitted by Anon on August 13, 2011 - 2:58am

Metadata seems not be cached anymore. Going up a the directory tree and aging back shows again fetching when scrolling through the file list.

Submitted by wernerm.12728 on August 13, 2011 - 3:09am

James,

Congrats, awesome improvement!

While V0.6 crashed here almost always while fetching, using resume and scrolling through a long list, no issues with V0.7. Playing around now for a while and haven't had any issues. Just works great!

Thanks for adding local metadata! Only downside here is that it takes pretty long until the cover is displayed, even if it is locally available.

Keep up the good work guys!

Submitted by SteaG on August 13, 2011 - 5:00am

Do you plan to also support MP4 embedded subs? (it would be great Smile

Submitted by muftkai on August 13, 2011 - 5:08am

The new version works fine, after the restart, I cut the power to restart the Apple TV 2, Thanks for the update.

Submitted by michele.6283 on August 13, 2011 - 5:09am

How is it possible that i can't see AVI files with SRT subtitles? In the menu I see the SRT file but during playing its not added. If I watch a MKV file the SRT file is added and vissible

Submitted by pierrev.1207 on August 13, 2011 - 6:37am

Great job and thanks for the subs , Keep up the good work

Submitted by larsv.4412 on August 13, 2011 - 7:20am

Super update, but I have some issues:

1) Fetching metadata takes a long time, and there is apparently no caching. XBMC is faster even with fan art.

2) Can't change fetched metadata. You can add your own covers, but not description ect.

3) No preset of encoding your subtitles. Have set ATV2 to my country (Denmark) - does not help.

4) Loading and buffering movies is slow - XBMC seems faster.

Submitted by autoy on August 13, 2011 - 8:55am

Subtitles are a 50/50 deal for me. Most of the movies will show them fine, most of the TV shows will not for some weird reason. All is fine in XBMC but I hate having to use it (besides, it uses SAMBA ant it's borked in Lion). I have the encoding format problem too, please allow it to remember changes or auto detect. Besides, I'd lower the position of subtitles and maybe make them a tiny bit smaller. You're getting there guys, just a few more fixes and the occasional reboots and it'll be great.

Submitted by Anon on August 13, 2011 - 9:58am

dpkg was interupted, you must manually run ...etc ???

Submitted by james on August 13, 2011 - 10:37am

Any other 3rd party plugins installed?

Re-running the aTV Flash (black) installer should clear up this issue.

Submitted by james on August 13, 2011 - 10:41am

Thanks for your feedback.

We're looking into the TV show related subtitle issues, not sure what's causing that yet.

Other than that, we're planning to ensure the subtitle setting remains persistent in the next version, and possibly add some size adjustment settings as well.

Submitted by james on August 13, 2011 - 10:42am

Thanks for your feedback. We're currently working all four of these issues...stay tuned.

Submitted by james on August 13, 2011 - 10:46am

Support for files with embedded subtitles will be available soon.

Submitted by james on August 13, 2011 - 10:47am

If you're able to submit a bug report we can look further into what may be causing your issues.

Submitted by james on August 13, 2011 - 10:48am

Which version of AppleTV software are you running? (check in Settings --> General --> About menu)

Submitted by james on August 13, 2011 - 10:49am

Can you submit a bug report and provide more information?