March 16, 2009 - 7:28am
rktsci's picture
Kudos: 0

DID NOT WORK: Kingston Data Traveller 4GB

DID WORK: Lexar 2GB

March 22, 2009 - 9:43pm
jonsmaxima's picture

I USE PNY 2GIG ATTACHE FLASH DRIVE. IT WORK FINE WITH ME... ONE THING TO REMEMBER, I USED ONE FLASH DRIVE TO DOWNLOAD ATV PROGRAM AND ONE FLASH DRIVE TO DOWNLOAD DMG FILE. THEN USE THE DMG DRIVE ON APPLETV.

March 23, 2009 - 1:19am
Sideburn's picture

Hi!
Since I'm new to tweaking my ATV, I was glad to find this forum yesterday. I bought and installed the aTV Flash for windows (I have Vista) and followed the installation manual. Everything seems to have worked out ok on the ATV, but i can't reformat my USB-stick properly. Win XP says that my TwinMOS 1Gb only has 244Mb of space to format. In disk manager I can see that the rest of the USB is "unallocated space". There is no way to delete the existing partition of 244Mb (Can't be done on mobile units).

-Any ideas on how to get my 1Gb USB back to normal?

March 29, 2009 - 12:21pm
explosion242's picture
  "ekr" wrote:

I've been using Dane-Elec 128MB and 1GB since I've owned this app with no prob.

I am using a Dane-Elec 1 GB and the installer does not even see it as a option.

I am using Vista. I am going to try it on a xp machine and see if it works.

Very frustrating since most people are saying "I had success with this one but not this one" then when you try that it does not work.

It seems to be a shot in the dark which can get costly. Not cool.

March 30, 2009 - 8:52am
mavis29's picture

WORKED:
PNY 1GB attache drive. Purchased at WalMart for $8.

DIDN'T WORK:
Dan-Elec 4GB purchased from Target.

It's very odd how all of this is SO "hit and miss". You could be at this forever until you get lucky. Fortunately for me it only took 2 purchases for the aTV to install. Great software if you can get it to patch.

March 30, 2009 - 9:41am
explosion242's picture
  "explosion242" wrote:
  "ekr" wrote:

I've been using Dane-Elec 128MB and 1GB since I've owned this app with no prob.

I am using a Dane-Elec 1 GB and the installer does not even see it as a option.

I am using Vista. I am going to try it on a xp machine and see if it works.

Very frustrating since most people are saying "I had success with this one but not this one" then when you try that it does not work.

It seems to be a shot in the dark which can get costly. Not cool.

Did not work when I ran the installer using Vista but it did when using XP.

March 30, 2009 - 9:54pm
franciscrossman's picture

[b]Works for flashing:[/b] 2 GB Sandisk SD Card with Dynex SD card reader.
[b]Did not work for flashing:[/b] 8 GB PNY Optima SD HC Card with same reader. These are higher speed cards I use in my DSLR. To be honest I didn't expect it to work, but turns out it works fine for USB Storage, just not flashing.

Both setups work just fine for USB storage to watch movies.

Sandisk card: [url]http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7640699&type=product&id=11...
Reader: [url]http://www.amazon.com/Dynex-DX-CRMN1-Mini-Memory-Reader/dp/B0010W8F8G[/url]
PNY SDHC card: [url]http://www.amazon.com/PNY-P-SDHC8G4-FS-Secure-Digital-High-Capacity/dp/B...

April 30, 2009 - 3:24pm
dollarbillz's picture

Worked on Windows Vista with a Kingston 8GB Data Traveller

May 5, 2009 - 4:44pm
cellisimo's picture

Hi all,

I'm new to this and just tried my first USB stick (Hitachi 4gb)...everything seemed to go well, however, when I plugged it into the Apple TV, the unit booted up as if nothing was in the USB port...is that what you all mean when you say that certain USB sticks work and some don't?

June 18, 2009 - 7:44pm
philtrate's picture

I tried about 6 different keys unsuccessfully. Then I read on this forum that the Staples Relay 1 Gb worked for many others. So I went and got one. BAM! It worked like a charm the first time. Happy puppy now!

DIDN'T WORK:
Various Sandisk keys (8Gb, 4Gb, 2Gb)
Dazzle USB2.0 Multi-Reader w/Sandisk flash cards. Compact Flash and SD. (512Mb and 2Gb)

WORKED:
Staples Relay 1 GB (Item 740927) ($12.99 CDN)

[img]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3619/3640258950_8e8ffff68b.jpg?v=0[/img]
View large image: [url]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3300/3639449335_f61c0e41fa.jpg?v=0[/url]

June 21, 2009 - 11:16am
spathi's picture

I usually use a SanDisk 2gb Cruzer without issues however this was unavailable, I tried several other drives and none would work (most of them were 4/8/16gb drives)

I've since found moep's thread [url=http://forum.atvflash.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=1363&start=0]here[/url] and have been able to use this to to boot every flash drive without issue. All previous 4/8/16gb drives that wouldn't work now do using this method.

So if you don't mind using the terminal and have a basic grasp of the commands and syntax I'd suggest giving it a go Smile

June 28, 2009 - 1:06pm
adl999's picture

Dane-Elec 2GB flash drive worked
Kingston Datatraveller 4GB did not work

July 22, 2009 - 10:20pm
mstein's picture

i tried using a 4gb sandisk cruzer micro that matches exactly the picture that is shown in the link to amazon -- didn't work, isn't even recognized by the apple tv, doesn't boot atv flash installation.

a 512mb sandisk cruzer mini is recognized but the installation fails

August 22, 2009 - 1:48am
madcran's picture

This might be some good news for those who want big storage and a flash drive, I just used aTV Flash 3.6.3 on a 4GB EasyStore SDUSBES1-004G. The flash drive worked fine with aTV Flash 3.6.3 on Snow Leopard and Apple TV 2.4. You can find a list of places to buy it here:
[url]http://www.google.com/products?hl=en&q=sdusbes1-004g&scoring=p[/url]

or just get it at Buy.com here:

[url]http://www.buy.com/prod/4GB-DRIVE-EASYSTORE-USB-2-0-EXT-HI-SPEED/q/loc/5...

P.S. This is basically a SanDisk USB drive with a different brand on it, I think SanDisk actually makes this and markets it, but for some reason does not put their logo on it. But don't quote me on that fact.

November 30, 2009 - 2:55am
suvamatt's picture

Worked on ATV 3.01 ATVF 4.02 - Kingston DataTraveler 16Gb

December 27, 2009 - 5:37am
igroucho's picture

I succeeded to install aTVF from a Cruzer Micro 8GB

March 13, 2010 - 9:50am
snookie's picture

Frown the recommended outdated USB Flash Drives are practically impossible to find here in the Philippines... any recommendations of newer USB Flash Drives? I don't want to shell out a $50 USB Flash Drive for the equivalent price of the ATV Flash itself and then knowing later that the USB Flash Drive wont work :|

any chance of a prog upgrade that isn't hit or miss with USB Flash Drives? Wink

March 27, 2010 - 12:11pm
MOOKOH's picture

I agree. When the brand of flash drive is so critical, there should be an easy-to-find, recently-updated list of recommended flash drives. I bought aTV Flash 2 years ago and never got it installed. I just bought it again because I thought my old low-end mac was the problem, and now I need to ferret out another flash drive. (BTW: This is the only reason I need a flash drive.)

March 29, 2010 - 3:31pm
MichaelLAX's picture
  "snookie" wrote:

Frown the recommended outdated USB Flash Drives are practically impossible to find here in the Philippines... any recommendations of newer USB Flash Drives? I don't want to shell out a $50 USB Flash Drive for the equivalent price of the ATV Flash itself and then knowing later that the USB Flash Drive wont work :|

any chance of a prog upgrade that isn't hit or miss with USB Flash Drives? Wink

Try this solution:

http://forum.atvflash.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=1951

April 9, 2010 - 11:03am
cyberche's picture
  "igroucho" wrote:

I succeeded to install aTVF from a Cruzer Micro 8GB

how did you do it? same flash drive and always "unable to partition" or "unmounted bla bla bla"

Thankx

July 14, 2010 - 6:43pm
Kevin's picture

Hello my name is kevin, and i just bought this atv flash today. I have tried five usb drives so far and a waste of time (Transcend-2gb, Sandisk cruzer-2gb, kingston data traveler g2-2b, Lgear-4gb, and a noname brand-2gb with no results.

Could someone from file-core refund me my money please? or send me the correct flash drive.

August 8, 2010 - 6:55am
zeolite's picture

Ok, There a lack of support here from ATV flash staff. They should give out better guides. Are you guys not watching over the forum anymore?

You can't expect people to buy your software when there is nothing talked about in your video that it "might" work with your USB drive. You have to understand that people are buying your software for 50 and then they get no answers from you guys and waste maybe $20-30 finding the right usb key. If there is something people can do to use their usb drives with 3rd party software or whatever, you guys must pick it up and explain it to people.

You say that the ipod shuffle works, nothing has ever worked for me since I bought your software. For example, I work for new york times and we have thousands of USB stick all over the place. I've tried 3892742398743 types and nothing ever happens. How on earth can you get ipod shuffle to work? WHere is the 1 year support I choose when I bought your software?

This post is before mine:

Hello my name is kevin, and i just bought this atv flash today. I have tried five usb drives so far and a waste of time (Transcend-2gb, Sandisk cruzer-2gb, kingston data traveler g2-2b, Lgear-4gb, and a noname brand-2gb with no results.

Could someone from file-core refund me my money please? or send me the correct flash drive.

No answer at all to his post or any support? Guys, not cool.

This is not acceptable, Maybe I should tip my friend who writes the consumer reports for popular mechanics or maybe New york times :=) The headline would be "pricey for no support and guides that don't work" Smile

Please take this as a friendly tip for now.

August 9, 2010 - 11:42am
max's picture
max
Kudos: 1

Most flash drives are compatible, though from our experience around 15% will not be. This percentage is mainly comprised of Kingston brand drives, as well some generic brands.

If you're not finding answers to your questions on the forum you can always send us a direct email at the link below and we'll be more than happy to help.
http://www.atvflash.com/contact.php

September 9, 2010 - 5:27am
kowalski's picture

Not very happy to find out my new Kingston USB drive doesn't do the job. I bought the software and there was no mention of certain drives being incompatible, why is this not mentioned?

So which drive do I need to guarantee I can install ATVflash properly? my ATV is an unmolested 160gb model, it doesn't even acknowledge the drive is mounted at power up, so I've just wasted my money on the drive.

Before I waste more money can you advise which drive I need?

September 9, 2010 - 6:56am
max's picture
max
Kudos: 1

Unfortunately Kingston is the one major brand that does not get along with the AppleTV. Most flash drives will work just fine, but if you're going to go buy a specific drive anything from Sandisk, Memorex or Transcend should be fine.

November 12, 2015 - 4:43am
GKentC's picture

See post #88. Now that I see I can edit posts, I'll keep adding to that one and changing it as needed.

November 12, 2015 - 4:40am
GKentC's picture
  GKentC wrote:

I have tried 7 different USB drives without success. Lexar 15 GB , ScanDisk Cruzer Blade 4 GB, Sony 4 GB, ScanDisk Cruzer Glide 4 GB, and 2 different generic Micro Center. I have checked all of them with the launchpadremoval.exe.

The instructions show using a Mac as the example. Are there instructions using a Windows computer as the example? I think I am doing everything right, however. I start with a fresh download every time (after refreshing the download page). And it goes through the long creation process, including the download. I get the message that the drive has been created correctly. But I can't get any of my 7 USB drives to boot up and install. Very frustrating.

Any suggestions?

I'm adding more information:

Here is what I do:
I download the zip file.
I copy the zip file from my downloads folder to my desktop.
I extract the zip file to my USB stick.
It goes through the long process, including "if this is the first time" with
that download.
At the end, the creation of the flash stick seems successful.
I take the stick to my aTV.
I make sure it is unplugged.
I stick in the USB stick
plug the power in for the aTV.
and every time the aTV boots up normally into the normal iTunes like
interface.

What can I do now?

Hmm. No answers here.

Here is more information:

I bought and have tried yet another USB stick, a Toshiba USB 2.0 TransMemory. It didn't work. During the process of creating the drive, I took screenshots of each step. I was wanting to upload them here, but I don't see a way to do that. Hmm. I suspect that the problem is not the USB stick, but something else, though I don't know what. What are the files that are supposed to be on the stick in the end? How can I send my screenshots to someone to look at?

November 12, 2015 - 4:41am
GKentC's picture

I tried to delete this post, but couldn't. Sorry. I added my new information to my previous post and deleted that content in this post.

April 8, 2016 - 5:48pm
GracelyJames's picture

Most drives are absolutely not compatible with this program, moderator.

October 21, 2016 - 9:29am
calhoun.robert's picture

I have swapped out servaral USB's and can't get the DMG file to run on MAC and the same with my PC. I have tried formatting the USB's and come up short. Could you please help a newbie. I didn't think it would be this hard.

Please help me. I really want to be like the cool kids. Smile