35 posts / 0 new / Last post
#1  December 8, 2013 - 11:16am
icanic's picture
Kudos: 0

Greetings, 

I have purcased infuse 2 because it is a great app.

For now I have purchased it mostly because to give you support for further application development because Infuse 2 is not so usable to me without DTS.

Can someone please tell me is there any ETA for infuse 2 DTS support (which is a must have audio format for anyone who have audio/video receiver and watching movies in MKV file format).

Thank you! 

December 9, 2013 - 10:20am
james's picture
Staff
Kudos: 1,151

DTS is one of the top things we are working to add, and we hope to have more news available soon.

Infuse 6 for iOS and Apple TV is now available!

December 13, 2013 - 1:42pm
georgeb.3146's picture

I'm assuming the lack of DTS support is why the audio won't work on a couple of my files?  I know one is DTS, and I am not sure what the other one that won't work is.  

Getting this to work is a question of when, not if, correct?  Thanks for the help.

December 16, 2013 - 1:37pm
james's picture
Staff

Yes, if you get a message like 'Infuse is unable to play audio for this file' it's likely DTS related.

We're hoping to have more news available soon.

December 17, 2013 - 4:24am
richard_browne's picture

Is DTA support available yet?

What about now?

January 18, 2014 - 10:55am
Chris's picture

Still waiting for an update for support of DTS on InFuse App. I have infuse on my Apple TV and there are no problems whatsoever.

February 1, 2014 - 9:35am
olivierb.0162's picture

Just to say that good news about DTS support would be nice.
A great leak in a global beautiful app.

March 16, 2014 - 7:39am
linuxgonz's picture

Hey, longtime ATV Flash and Infuse 2.2 Pro customer here. 

+1 on DTS support. Please make it top priority and keep us posted with the progress.

March 24, 2014 - 2:14pm
JonnyB33's picture

+1 for DTS support. Just purchased Infuse 2 for my iPad to stream off of my NAS, only to find that about half my videos work, the other half are DTS :(.

April 4, 2014 - 8:20am
barrist's picture

Yeah just spent 7 bucks on this and realised half my movies won't play with sound. Not sure what the hold up is, I had other apps that could play them no problem. 

April 4, 2014 - 11:30am
itimpi's picture
Kudos: 112

No idea what technical issues are involved, but Dolby have a reputation for dragging out negotiations for licensing.

I would like to know what other apps you have that can currently play DTS audio?   All the ones I have had on iOS have withdrawn DTS support when Dolby chased them for not having licensed DTS from them.

I AM A USER - NOT A FIRECORE EMPLOYEE

April 4, 2014 - 3:24pm
barrist's picture
  itimpi wrote:

No idea what technical issues are involved, but Dolby have a reputation for dragging out negotiations for licensing.

I would like to know what other apps you have that can currently play DTS audio?   All the ones I have had on iOS have withdrawn DTS support when Dolby chased them for not having licensed DTS from them.

the app i used to stream/download from my SMB share is FileExplorer. and I'm certain the DTS movies i tried worked fine on it, while getting the error in Infuse. I'm not sure if it does some type of transcoding or anything before playing?  I'll give it another try tonight just to make sure.

EDIT: Yep just tried two files that wouldn't play audio in Infuse, worked fine in FileExplorer.

April 4, 2014 - 4:08pm
guspaz's picture
  itimpi wrote:

Dolby has no connection to or involvement in DTS. The DTS sound system is owned by DTS Inc., a public company. Dolby does not have a bad reputation for licensing (Infuse and many other apps have DolbyDigital licenses), it's DTS Inc. that has a bad reputation.

April 4, 2014 - 4:18pm
guspaz's picture
  barrist wrote:

the app i used to stream/download from my SMB share is FileExplorer. and I'm certain the DTS movies i tried worked fine on it, while getting the error in Infuse. I'm not sure if it does some type of transcoding or anything before playing?  I'll give it another try tonight just to make sure.

EDIT: Yep just tried two files that wouldn't play audio in Infuse, worked fine in FileExplorer.

There's lots of opensource software out there to decode DTS, but to do so legally, you need a license. Barely anybody bothers to get a license (DTS Inc. is notoriously difficult to get a license from), so most apps that support DTS are illegal. FileExplorer doesn't mention DTS support anywhere on their website or AppStore description, nor do they display any DTS logos, so it's likely illegal. I suspect DTS Inc. hasn't called them out on it because they don't advertise the fact they support it.

EDIT: I should clarify that this may not even be intentional on FileExplorer's part. They may handle all audio by just dumping it into a third-party decoder library, which happens to support DTS. They may not even realize they support DTS or that they need a license to distribute their app if it does so.

April 5, 2014 - 4:43am
itimpi's picture
Kudos: 112

Not sure why I thought Dolby owned DTS licenses - but I guess the issue I mentioned still applies..

All the IOS media player apps I have owned that used to have DTS support were updated to remove it when the authors were chased about not having licensed use of the codec.  None of them have yet re-introduced DTS support.   In their case it is obviously not a technical issue as they already had DTS support working - and then withdrew it.

It is likely that the File Explorer app mentioned has fallen through the cracks as it is not obviously a media player.

I AM A USER - NOT A FIRECORE EMPLOYEE

April 6, 2014 - 2:14am
yapper's picture

Given that DTS likely costs a lot of money, if it means forking Infuse to a v3 with the cost of the DTS license factored in I think that would be the way to go.

Offer a low cost upgrade to v2 owners if possible.

Granted some people might not be happy with that but I think if thats the blocker then that is really the only way to go, you could keep v2 around for those who don't care but if most upgrade to v3 then you could stop supporting v2.

April 28, 2014 - 2:17am
Lezz's picture
Kudos: 5

This is also my main request. Almost all files files are encoded with DTS. Having to convert 95% of my media library on a NAS is not optimal :S

Can you give a rough ETA? Is it weeks away, a few months or 2014/2015?

April 29, 2014 - 8:44am
theoak's picture

I do not mean to sound pessimistic, but if you look at their posts in the forum, and other forumns, Firecore has been saying "soon" ... or "we are trying for the next release" ... for a good year (literally) now.

Do not get me wrong.  I actively use the Infuse app on my iPad ... LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!  Airplay rocks.

Just do NOT expect DTS anytime "soon" unfortunately Frown

April 29, 2014 - 9:04am
Lezz's picture

A bit of transparency into the roadmap would be good to manage user expectations...

Maybe make DTS a payed upgrade in 2.x and free in 3.0 or 3.5 or something like that. Paying 5 bucks vs converting my entire library by hand... I'd gladly pay the 5 bucks!

DTS is more important to me than the bugs I encounter while using the app...

April 29, 2014 - 9:29am
barrist's picture
  Lezz wrote:

A bit of transparency into the roadmap would be good to manage user expectations...

Maybe make DTS a payed upgrade in 2.x and free in 3.0 or 3.5 or something like that. Paying 5 bucks vs converting my entire library by hand... I'd gladly pay the 5 bucks!

DTS is more important to me than the bugs I encounter while using the app...

I really think the $7 pro upgrade ought to be enough to entitle the user to DTS, especially if the developer has again and again said it is "one of the top things" its working on.  $7 ain't much in the grand scheme of things but in the app world that's a pretty big ask, especially for a media app of which there is alot of competition. 

May 1, 2014 - 4:31pm
barrist's picture

2.3 Update... still no DTS

May 1, 2014 - 5:42pm
Chris's picture

I think that it is interesting that FireCore staff have not made any comments on this thread in a long time.  We are all waiting but no response?

May 8, 2014 - 11:15am
Sohape's picture

I am also very curious as to when DTS support is added. I bought the Pro version before I realized DTS was not supported. Hope it will be added soon, so I can actually use the app

May 8, 2014 - 11:38am
barrist's picture
  Sohape wrote:

I am also very curious as to when DTS support is added. I bought the Pro version before I realized DTS was not supported. Hope it will be added soon, so I can actually use the app

I've literally stopped using the app now. It's useless to me with how my library is formatted. The most expensive in-app-purchase I've bought too... sigh. 

May 8, 2014 - 12:59pm
james's picture
Staff

Posted this a few days ago which should shed some light on the current situation.

http://forum.firecore.com/topic/12186

August 7, 2014 - 2:56am
Lezz's picture

Still hoping for DTS one day, but I finally managed to get my Synology DS213J NAS to do the heavy lifting. So DTS is not a problem for me any more, that had me manually convert every movie.

Now everything runs on DS213J:

1. Add movie to IMDB watchlist
  2. Couchpotato on NAS checks watchlist and searches for NZB file and sends it to NZBget on NAS
  3. NZBget downloads, repairs, unpacks files and downloads subs
  4. Couchpotato checks status ands sees movie is done, renames file and moves it to destination folder
  5. NAS runs script every hour, checks all movies with ffmpeg, and if it sees DTS track it starts the conversion (leaves video track untouched)
  6. Stream from NAS with Infuse. Finally no more 'infuse cannot play audio' crap Smile

It took a while to get the conversion running on DS213J because most online posts are for higher end, intel based, synology's. To get it to run on my ARM based version took a lot of googling and trial and error. But finally it's a fully automated process!

Performance on the little ARM chip is not to shabby! takes about 30 to 40 minutes on a 11gb 1080p file...

August 13, 2014 - 11:16am
iceberg's picture
Beta Tester
Kudos: 4
  Lezz wrote:
  1. NAS runs script every hour, checks all movies with ffmpeg, and if it sees DTS track it starts the conversion (leaves video track untouched)
  2. Stream from NAS with Infuse. Finally no more 'infuse cannot play audio' crap Smile

It took a while to get the conversion running on DS213J because most online posts are for higher end, intel based, synology's. To get it to run on my ARM based version took a lot of googling and trial and error. But finally it's a fully automated process!

Performance on the little ARM chip is not to shabby! takes about 30 to 40 minutes on a 11gb 1080p file...

Link please! DS411-owner here, would love to see how you are running these scripts.

August 14, 2014 - 3:01am
Lezz's picture

These are the steps I took for my DS213J. If you already have a good version of ffmpeg running you can skip these steps.

1. add http://packages.pcloadletter.co.uk and http://packages.synocommunity.com to your package repo's in DSM
  2. add a shared folder 'public'. This must be lowercase
  3. enable user home directory in DSM control panel > user > advanced
  4. go to http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/embedde..., create an account and download this exact Java embedded 8 file: ejdk-8u6-fcs-b23-linux-arm-vfp-sflt-12_jun_2014.tar.gz
  5. place ejdk-8u6-fcs-b23-linux-arm-vfp-sflt-12_jun_2014.tar.gz in public folder and leave as .tar.gz (don't unpack)
  6. go to DSM package center and install java 8. It will tell you if you placed the correct file in the public folderAll the above steps where for the goal of installing Serviio, which has a fully functional ffmpeg build. Synology's own videostation app also has a ffmpeg build that gets installed when you install videostation, but they stripped out anything that has to do with DTS. I know, I tried. When trying to convert that way you end up with silent audio tracks Frown
  7. Once java is installed, you can install Serviio. It will tell you if you enabled 'home directory' correctly
  8. If Serviio is installed, you can stop it's process, we don't need it actively running
  9. remove the java 8 package (it's only goal was to get Serviio on there)
  10. download script file, rename extension to .sh and place it in your preferred directory
  11. create a task in DSM as root with the following parameters: /volume1/xxxWhereYouPutTheScriptxx/convert_mkv_ac3.sh /volume1/xxYourMovieDirectoryxx >> /volume1/xxYourMovieDirectoryxx/logMind the spaces in there Smile
  12. schedule task to suit your needs, mine runs every hour...

The script I got from internet and trialled and errored it just as long until it worked with ffmpeg and did what I wanted. Just make sure the ffmpeg="/volume1/@appstore/Serviio/bin/ffmpeg" line matches the volume you installed Serviio on.

I'm sure there are better ways when you know your way around linux, ssh, building custom ffmpeg etc. But I am a n00b on that front. This was a fun, but frustrating challenge to get to work, but once it does, you won't have to look after it ever again........... Until something updates and breaks this configuration Grin

August 14, 2014 - 3:24pm
iceberg's picture
Beta Tester
Kudos: 4

Wow! Thanks! I was not expecting such a lengthy and informative post.

I have the script running now. Out of curiousity, what does this script do with the original DTS?

Does it create a new mkv container with AAC-encoded audio track? Does it just add a secondary AAC-encoded audio track in addition to the DTS track? Does it delete the original MKV and leave me with just the remuxed one with AAC audio? What are the encoder settings used for the new audio track?

Please link me to whatever resources you got this from; I was dreaming of automating a remux script to convert all my MKVs into MP4s and add AppleTV compatible audio streams when necessary.

August 14, 2014 - 4:29pm
Lezz's picture

The way it is set up now. It checks the mkv for dts. If it has dts it renames the file to a temporary name and creates a new container with the original name and only one Dolby digital ac3 track at 640k. aopts="-c:a ac3 -b:a 640k" in the script are the audio parameters. Ffmpeg supports more, so in theory it's possible to also add a stereo AAC track for full apple tv compatibility. They would have to be in an mp4 container though to work without infuse and work with the standard iTunes home sharing.

August 14, 2014 - 4:36pm
Lezz's picture

The base of the script came from this topic: http://forum.synology.com/enu/viewtopic.php?f=222&t=81266. Had to rework some stuff to get it to work without ffprobe and with my version of ffmpeg. If you want to dive in the audio parameters https://www.ffmpeg.org/ffmpeg.html

good luck and keep us posted!