MLB no longer working

hey all

Ive been using mlb for years and subscribe… i believe it was after a recent update in the maintenance app, but my mlb app on the atv2 is no longer working… it says “MLB.tv is unavailable. Try again later” it has been saying this for about 1 week now but i can log in from my iphone fine…

Help! I dont want to have to flash back to factory…

Thanks
Chris

Chris, I see this too. I have gone ahead and rerun all the steps (restore to factory, re-jailbreak) and can add a couple of observations. First, after a full factory restore to Apple’s current iOS, MLB.tv did work, as far as logging in was concerned. I did not try it with a geospoofed IP, but my understanding is that with a geospoofing DNS proxy service you can get around blackouts in the app on a non-JB ATV.

My prior setup had an old version of XBMC installed with divingmule’s abandoned MLBMC XBMC add-on and the add-on was able to connect and stream MLB content even with the MLB.tv app no longer functioning. However, the livestreams were stuttering and failing badly enough that I decided to tear it all down and start over.

Once I was on Apple’s official release I tried using several AirPlay-based restreamers to send my local content to the ATV and found that lo-rez content (480SD and up to 720p) played well, but HD 1080p content did not. I therefore determined to try an install of Kodi.

I just finished re-jailbreaking with seas0npass. I can confirm that seas0npass successfully rolls the base system on the ATV2 to 5.3 and that reinstalling Firecore and in 5.3 MLB.tv is no longer functional. I do not yet know if I can re-add MLBMC to Kodi even though it is no longer maintained.

Same deal here with MLB.TV not working on an ATV2 as of about a week ago. I had been running 5.2.1 tethered for basically forever because I was too lazy to upgrade to 5.3, and went ahead and did the upgrade to 5.3 untethered last night, and it didn’t make a difference. MLB.TV is working fine through all my other devices. I would love to see a fix for this, although I realize that the ATV2 is quite dated. I’m also expecting Netflix to stop working any day now, seeing that for the past couple months I’m always prompted to upgrade it upon launching the app… although that’s beyond the scope of this issue :slight_smile:

I don’t want to have to replace my ATV2, it’s been a workhorse going on 5 years now!

I’m in the same boat. Can’t get MLB.tv to work at all. Please help (and go Nats!).

I was able to reinstall MLBMC in Kodi, and it seems to work OK. It’s somewhat convoluted to do. divingmule has stopped maintaining the add-on and another volunteer, Youioup, has been working on it. Since the add-on is not in the official repository any longer, you must install it another way.

The MLBMC thread at kodi.tv:

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=104391&page=67

Youioup’s github for the add-on:

https://github.com/Yuioup/kodi-mlbmc

When you download the release (the ‘download’ button on the right of the Github page), you’ll need to locate a zip file inside the zip file you download called ‘plugin.video.mlbmc.2.0.75.zip’. the numeric string may differ; it’s the release number. That’s the install-ready zip that Kodi needs to see to install the add-on.

I followed these instructions to upload the zip file to Kodi / XMBC’s ‘Home’ directory on the Seas0npass/Firecore JB 5.3 ATV2:

The article was posted in 2012 and uses screenshots taken with a much older version of XBMC. The basic procedure: Copy the zip file to Kodi’s Home Folder as described using SFTP. Navigate to “Settings > Add-Ons > Install from zip file”. When the file source dialog displays open the ‘Home Folder’. I am not sure if it’s labeled ‘Home Folder’ or ‘Home’. Once you’ve selected it, you should see the filename of the zip file you uploaded earlier along with some other info and folders. Select it and Kodi will install the add-on.

You’ll need to configure it with your MLB.tv account info. My install went without a hitch and I have not had problems with playback or logging in or anything. Your experience may vary; posting to the MLBMC thread at kodi.tv for help and with questions is your best bet if you run into problems.

A note to consider: I found that I had to restore and jailbreak the ATV a couple of times. The first time the restore-to-current went fine but then performing the JB failed as the device became stuck in DFU mode. I was able to restore it again and the second time everything went smoothly. However, other users here have sometimes reported that getting stuck in DFU mode can make the device unrestorable. I also had to pay for the Firecore software again, which was aggravating, but does provide access to what must be considered the final release of the software, including an implementation of Infuse which provides excellent downconversion of 1080p content to the ATV2’s 720p.

Finally, in January, the development lead for the Apple TV 2 implementation of Kodi announced that the current release is the final release for the platform:

As absurd as it seems to relegate these less-than-ten-year-old devices to history, that is the reality we are facing. Given that MLB.tv is the subject of active and well-executed technical development and that MLBMC is both not an official MLB licensee nor officially supported under Kodi, one must anticipate the eventual loss of MLB.tv playback functionality on these jailbroken devices at any time.

Hope this helps.

Thanks mwhybark, I was able to install MLBMC, and I’m back in business. I appreciate you chiming in with the suggestion!

mwhybark - THANK YOU , THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!! I had called MLB to ask what had happened to the app on my (4) Apple TV’s. They were very nice (two tiers of support), and didn’t understand what was happening either, but finally suggested upgrading the OS of one of them to 6.2.1 to see if that helped. Sure enough, it did. Bummer, 'cause, as we all know, you can’t JB 6.2.1. So this solution ROCKS!!! I hadn’t used Kino, though I used to use XBMC years ago when I was streaming Hulu (not sure if THAT works any more.) So maybe this whole experience will give me another reason to use Kino (again).

Your help in this is EXTREMELY appreciated. Too bad Apple didn’t give us fair warning that this was going to happen.

MLB started working for me again. I didn’t change/reinstall or update anything!

I can confirm that MLB on 5.3 is now login-enabled again. After the end of a game, the auto-poll to redisplay the day’s games generated a bug but it did not crash the system or anything.