84 posts / 0 new / Last post
  September 22, 2015 - 4:01am
walterv.0708's picture
Kudos: 0

Exactly. Firecore needs to stop selling ATV Flash Black or at least mention that on iOS 9 AirPlay won't work with a jail broken AppleTV 2. They can't keep selling this and say all other features work as intended because it's truly crippled now. Yeah sure we can blame Apple but they really don't care about jailbroken stuff for which you can't really blame them. It's a wonder ATV Flash Black was around for so long. But this seems to be the nail in the coffin.

September 22, 2015 - 5:01am
dmitrit.2291's picture

Re:"shall I ask Apple why Firecore didn't mention about airplay issue with ios 9 while selling its product. Instead it promises that "The normal Apple TV features will remain intact and unchanged".
Firecore is right saying "The normal Apple TV features will remain intact and unchanged". It's not firecore fault that Apple messing up their updates. Every single app in IOS 9 has no mirroring to ATV2 thanks to Apple. For the same very reason XBMC (KODI) completely abandoned Apple devices now.
If you want mirroring back wait Apple to something about or downgrade to IOS8 while it's still signing it. And hurry up the clock it ticking, they might stop signing from today.

September 22, 2015 - 5:32am
willkuer's picture

aiplay mirroring from ios 9 doesn't work ONLY with jailbroken apple tv. Airplay is one of the normal features. Ios 9 beta was available for anyone since months. So firecore knew about this. No mention. No info. No one who bought atv flash had any idea about this issue. At the very least now Firecore have to mention "The normal Apple TV features will remain intact and unchanged except for airplay". But I know why they do this way. The answer is apple tv 4 and the chance to sell its app once again

September 22, 2015 - 5:53am
dmitrit.2291's picture

IOS 9 Airplay mirroring doesn't work with non jailbroken fully updated ATV2s either. Why don't you go and hassle Apple about it?

September 22, 2015 - 6:03am
walterv.0708's picture

I hate to admit it but I agree with Dirty Duke for the most part. Why didn't Firecore warn us about this if issue that they could see coming from miles away. It's no use blaming Apple as they can change the AirPlay protocol as they seem fit. All latest releases of all firmware work with AppleTV, second and third edition included. So for all iOS users using all the latest firmware there is no issue. In that way Apple isn't doing anything wrong. That all jailbroken devices can't use AirPlay doesn't interest them as they do not support or encourage jailbreaks in the first place. Firecore can't help this too. As long as the latest firmwares can't be jailbroken we're stuck with either no AirPlay or no jailbreak. I'm prett amazed though that no one was able to jailbreak the latest firmwares on AppleTV and the AppleTV 3 as all the latest and newest devices can be jailbroken. Even iOS 9 has already been cracked. But no one seems smart or interested enough to jailbreak the latest AppleTV's and firmware.

Sure I bet there will be another infuse for the AppleTV 4 but that would be the fourth time I buy infuse from Firecore. I love the things these guys do but being silent about this issue and still selling ATV flash black and probably buying Infuse yet again gives me a bit of a bad taste in my mouth.

September 22, 2015 - 6:03am
willkuer's picture

in my case ios 9 works well with unjailbroken apple tv, for me no reason to blame apple

September 22, 2015 - 6:52am
dmitrit.2291's picture

ATV exist solely because of products like XBMC or fusion. XMBC abandoned Apple already and if firecore follows your ATVs are dead in the water. A new ATV promised API to allow developers create apps without hacking it. Will wait and see. I'm not planning to buy another shitty apple product. I have raspberry pi running KODI, PLEX and airplay mirroring and it much better than any ATV.
Also Fusion works well on standalone jailbroken ATV as promised why are you people complaining? MIRRORING IS NOT FIRECORE FEATURE BUT APPLEs. The claim that firecore is responsible for implementing mirroring is rediculous! You should call Apple about it not firecore.

September 22, 2015 - 7:10am
walterv.0708's picture

No one ever said that Firecore is responsible for AirPlay mirroring. The only thing people say is that as of now, a jailbroken AppleTV is severely crippled because it isn't able to provide AirPlay. People are only saying that Firecore should stop selling ATV Flash Black or at least put a big red warning on their buy page that AppleTV 2 will not work as intended when jailbroken. That's all. People are not angry at Firecore as they can't do anything at the moment. Although some clear communication would help.

September 23, 2015 - 3:02am
dmitrit.2291's picture
  walterv.0708 wrote:

No one ever said that Firecore is responsible for AirPlay mirroring. The only thing people say is that as of now, a jailbroken AppleTV is severely crippled because it isn't able to provide AirPlay. People are only saying that Firecore should stop selling ATV Flash Black or at least put a big red warning on their buy page that AppleTV 2 will not work as intended when jailbroken. That's all. People are not angry at Firecore as they can't do anything at the moment. Although some clear communication would help.

September 23, 2015 - 3:06am
dmitrit.2291's picture

IOS 9 is crappy incremental update to IOS 8. Instead of working on new features Apple works hard on making previous jailbreaks obsolete. Just downgrade to 8 and don't bother.

September 23, 2015 - 6:36am
walterv.0708's picture

Well that's your opinion. I find iOS 9 pretty stable and working well. It has some nice new features. Nothing really shocking. Most improvements are under the hood anyway. I need iOS 9 though because WatchOS 2 does have some good improvements but requires iOS 9 to install.

Most AirPlay I do is YouTube anyway (mostly for my kids) and Firecore bringing back the YouTube channel has worked great until now. So that's a big thanks to Firecore otherwise I would have updated to the latest firmware and say goodbye to the jailbreak. It's not that important anymore as it once was thanks to easy legal content for a reasonable price (Netflix for me).

September 23, 2015 - 11:02am
dmitrit.2291's picture

I'm sorry man you have your Apple watch and you need IOS 9 for that. I prefere my swiss watch for time keeping. I have heterogenious network with multiple devices running. I rely on mirroring because of XBMC, Kodi, Dreamboxes, RaspberryPI etc. I like Blackbox to mirror 1000's of satellite channels on my jailbroken ATV2. My XBMC setup in any day better than your Netflix. I can compare Netflix only to Amazon Kindle Unlimited where for 10€/month you can load unlimited amount of junk books. I would rather prefer every 3 month buy a proper 30€ book. I like 100's of XBMC plugins available on jailbroken ATV. I'm not a big fun of Infuse myself but I'm sure your Apple watch is very important device and I wish you good luck with that. I dunno what are doing on this forum.

September 23, 2015 - 11:25am
walterv.0708's picture

This thread is about the AirPlay issues on a jailbroken AppleTV 2 and ATV Flash Black and iOS 9. Please stick to the topic or post your suggestions in a general topic. I don't want the moderators to lock this topic too. Thank you.

September 25, 2015 - 7:48am
walterv.0708's picture

Any chance of on official reply of someone of Firecore? ATV Flash black is still on sale and promising "unchanged original features". I know this is beyond your fault and Apple changed the AirPlay protocols but you guys can't keep selling ATV Flash black and promise a fully working AppleTV. Besides, as a lifetime paying customer I would like to know if Firecore is working on a fix. I also submitted a ticket but didn't get any response. It's not that hard to give an update that you are either working on it or that this is a helpless case unless the latest firmware can be jailbroken on the AppleTV (which seems very, very unlikely as we would have seen the jailbreak by now).

September 25, 2015 - 5:46pm
arcadelt's picture
Kudos: 1

walterv.0708, James from Firecore provided a response at posts #17 and #20 - go back and have a look and I think you'll see that there will be no fix for this issue unless a jailbreak for the current version of ATV software can be found.

September 25, 2015 - 6:28pm
walterv.0708's picture

I saw post 17 but apparently missed 20 which states most info. My fault. Pretty clear they're not going to solve this anytime soon and probably doesn't have a lot of priority with the AppleTV 4 around the corner. Still, it bothers me that they're still selling ATV Flash Black without any warning. But I guess sales are not that spectacular anyway with an AppleTV 2 that is not for sale anyway and most of them are jailbroken anyway (for people interested).

September 29, 2015 - 4:02am
popklister's picture

If you only use Infuse on the atv why not just update the atv and buy the infuse app for your ipad or iphone and share the content from your nas/mac to the ipad and then airplay to apple tv?

September 29, 2015 - 4:11am
walterv.0708's picture

That's exactly what I did now. I already had Infuse for iOS. But Infuse native on the ATV was just easy to use. Now I always need an iPhone/iPad to play from a NAS. Kodi was great having but to be honest a lot of channels were broken anyway.

September 29, 2015 - 5:08am
DirtyDuke's picture

Has anybody updated a Apple TV 2 to the latest firmware 6.2.1 and got Airplay working from iOS 9?

I have looked at Apple's support that ATV2 is supported up to firmware 6.2.1 and that the 7.1 update only is supported by ATV3.
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202157

September 29, 2015 - 6:12am
dmitryk.5093's picture

I updated my ATV2 a 10 days ago (not sure which version was current then) and AirPlay from iOS9 works fine now. Obviously I can no longer watch movies from NAS on ATV2.

September 29, 2015 - 7:10am
DirtyDuke's picture

OK, Thanks for confirming!
Guess I will do an upgrade then, I use PlexConnect anyways.

September 29, 2015 - 7:25am
dmitrit.2291's picture

Airplay Mirroring doesn't work with OS X El Capitan either.

September 29, 2015 - 7:28am
dmitryk.5093's picture

2 DirtyDuke - let me double check tonight...

September 29, 2015 - 9:32am
DirtyDuke's picture

OK, thanks, will wait until you have double checked!

September 29, 2015 - 7:45pm
dmitryk.5093's picture

Double checked - AirPlay works fine between iPhone iOS 9.0.1 and ATV2 running 6.2.1 (no JB). Tested with music and with YouTube app. OS X 10.10.5 works fine as well.

September 29, 2015 - 11:19pm
DirtyDuke's picture

Thank you for checking, will update asap Smile

October 3, 2015 - 12:25pm
BobW's picture

If i backed up my firmware with "maintenance" tool on the ATV2, will i be able to restore to a previous version if i update it now?

October 3, 2015 - 4:15pm
dmitrit.2291's picture
  BobW wrote:

If i backed up my firmware with "maintenance" tool on the ATV2, will i be able to restore to a previous version if i update it now?

No boy, you should know how to save your SHSH Blobs in case you want come back on your previous version

October 3, 2015 - 4:20pm
dmitrit.2291's picture
  walterv.0708 wrote:

This thread is about the AirPlay issues on a jailbroken AppleTV 2 and ATV Flash Black and iOS 9. Please stick to the topic or post your suggestions in a general topic. I don't want the moderators to lock this topic too. Thank you.

Airplay issues is nothing to do with Infuse. I can see the boy who picks up on thread and play a boss. Untill you promoted to admin I dont care

October 3, 2015 - 7:43pm
BobW's picture
  dmitrit.2291 wrote:
  walterv.0708 wrote:

Airplay issues is nothing to do with Infuse. I can see the boy who picks up on thread and play a boss. Untill you promoted to admin I dont care

It's already done. So I can revert back then.