125 posts / 0 new / Last post
#1  October 6, 2015 - 6:52am
DorffMeister's picture
Offline
Joined: Oct 2015
Posts: 12
Kudos: 0

I'm a long time user of Kodi / XBMC (since the original Xbox days). While I have been happy running Kodi on my FireTV, if Infuse comes out for AppleTV 4 I might be swayed esp. if the new FireTV OS continues to make launching Kodi difficult. Not to mention that the new AppleTV looks great.

My thoughts

  • I store all my music, pictures, and video on a NAS which shares via SMB
    ** I'd like to be able to point Infuse at my NAS shares to play the various kinds of media
    ** I'd like Infuse watch for updates / additions / deletions in my media and react accordingly
    ** I'd like to be able to delete media after I have watched it (delete it from within Infuse, have it deleted on the NAS). This might be an extra option that needs to be enabled, as it is with Kodi.
  • I'd greatly prefer if the client would transcode natively (unlike Plex which transcodes on the server, which I think is a bad idea).
  • I love the idea of using a central database to mark what I have watched across devices (I believe Trakt does this for you).
  • When viewing my media be able to sort by name, date added (oldest first, newest first), etc.
  • Search for media would be nice
  • Integrate with AppleTV search would be amazing

That's all off of the top of my head.

  October 7, 2015 - 9:02pm
mwick's picture
Offline
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 16
Kudos: 0

I'd like to see some status of what is going on. I'm intending to get the v4 ATV when it comes out but only if Infuse is happening for the unit. I know this is the intent but there hasn't been any latest status to indicate if this will happen (i.e. yes we have a Developer setup with the new ATV and are working to porting Infuse to this)

  October 16, 2015 - 11:09am
tomvs's picture
Offline
Joined: Oct 2015
Posts: 7
Kudos: 0

I'm excited! I've been waiting for a long time for a small media player that supports playing 10-bit (hi10p) h.264 content. I'm primarily a Kodi/XBMC user (now on Fire TV 1 - Fire TV 2 is a buggy mess, so I returned it).

It looks like the ATV4 has everything I need, though gigabit ethernet and 4k support would have been nice. And it supports HEVC/h.265 (hopefully in 10-bit/ main10).

I've also just now learned about Infuse, tried it out on my iPhone 4, and it looks like it has everything I need, which is just the ability to play all media file types from network shares.

I'll be getting an ATV4 and Infuse on it as soon as I can.

  October 20, 2015 - 12:59pm
DorffMeister's picture
Offline
Joined: Oct 2015
Posts: 12
Kudos: 0
  tomvs wrote:

I'm primarily a Kodi/XBMC user (now on Fire TV 1 - Fire TV 2 is a buggy mess, so I returned it).

I just setup the return on my FireTV 2 and am moving back to the FireTV 1, for now. The USB port doesn't work on the new one and the only differences I really see is that apps are missing (Spotify Connect, others). I'll get another FireTV 2 once they iron out the bugs OR, preferably, I'll just get an ATV4 if Infuse comes out for ATV4 and works well enough to run instead of Kodi. Please tell us it is coming soon!

  October 26, 2015 - 4:42am
Lezz's picture
Offline
Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 74
Kudos: 5

Yes, I am also ordering an ATV4 as they'll go on sale later today. I'm hoping infuse will be available very soon.

Thinks I would like to see

  • Transcode/remux on the fly (Does so on iOS already)
  • Store status library database in iCloud, so it syncs between devices (lost my view status a couple of times after reinstall on iOS)
  • Better folder art media handling (it shows a lot of folder icons instead of fetching art)
  • On Apple TV, fetch metadata and artwork on an interval if possible (so folder browsing can work fast. On iOS it can be a bit slow if a lot has changed in the library)
    *** By using an interval good support for a 'recently added' view can be enabled (Now on iOS it seems a bit wonky for my tv shows)
  • Auto fetch/enable subs (multiple languages) Maybe add some criteria matching (if audio track not English > enable subs by default)
  • Downmix DTS 5.1 to Dolby Digital 5.1 (One of the sticking points that made me switch to Plex)
  • Remove files from NAS from within Infuse (As pointed out by DorffMeister)
  • Integrate universal search when Apple opens up the API
  • Remote library access so you can stream a movie outside of LAN (but still on wifi, roaming access will definitely need serverside transcoding or you will die of bill-shock Smile )
    *** Would be awesome if the Apple TV app can be the server for this (As Plex Media Server is on my NAS) Use the ATV to transcode a lighweight stream to an iPhone or iPad.
  • A bit of a feature roadmap would be nice.

I think you guys have a good chance of becoming the plex of the Apple ecosystem. Plex's strength is that it is everywhere, but that's also it's biggest drawback. It relies on server side transcoding, which was good at the time when you ran it on your PC or Mac, but with all the low powered NASses (like my DS213j) out there, this is less than ideal. If you guys focus the attention on the Apple ecosystem I think you can get a chunk of plex users over.

  October 26, 2015 - 5:20am
Lezz's picture
Offline
Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 74
Kudos: 5
  • An 'on deck' like feature from Plex would be nice. You can immediately pick up where you left of in a series / season. This saves on drilling down into folders.
  October 26, 2015 - 7:55am
DorffMeister's picture
Offline
Joined: Oct 2015
Posts: 12
Kudos: 0

I picked up the 32gb version. Let's hope Infuse is sooner rather than later Smile

  October 26, 2015 - 8:13am
Lezz's picture
Offline
Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 74
Kudos: 5

Same here! Bring on the infuse party! Smile

  October 26, 2015 - 9:25am
willynanita's picture
Offline
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 99
Kudos: 0

I just ordered the Apple TV 32Gb version. Looking forward for Infuse on the new Apple TV.

  October 26, 2015 - 10:57am
GusRocket's picture
Offline
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 28
Kudos: 0

Hello,

I just got my 32GB 4th gen Apple TV. Any ideas when we'll be able to download infuse on it?

Thanks

  October 30, 2015 - 2:10am
arcadelt's picture
Offline
Joined: Dec 2011
Posts: 81
Kudos: 1

My 64GB ATV 4 arrived here in Australia today. Frankly, right now all I would like from FireCore is an Infuse media player app not that much different that the one you have for the ATV 2, with largely the same features (favourite NAS shares, metadata downloading, Trakt.tv integration, etc) and a new interface to match/complement the look of the ATV 4 interface. I can wait for Siri and search integration and the other sexy stuff.

What I'm really confused about is why other are asking on the FireCore forum for other media players like Kodi, Plex, xbmc, etc. It seems to me these were just apps previously provided within the FireCore framework on a Seas0nPass jailbroken ATV 1 and 2. If you really want those, what I think you need to do it lobby the developers of those media players to create an app for the new tvOS app store, which in all likelihood will now be competitors to Infuse. Just my 2 cents worth.

  October 30, 2015 - 8:39am
ednet's picture
Offline
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 35
Kudos: 0

I am currently using ATVflash with a 2nd Gen ATV. I have all my ripped DVDs on an external HD for use with ATVflash. Will I be able to use the same HD (with the ripped DVDs) with Infuse and ATV4 to watch movies on my TV? Will I be able to do this without a computer running?

  October 30, 2015 - 10:20am
Lezz's picture
Offline
Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 74
Kudos: 5
  ednet wrote:

Will I be able to do this without a computer running?

If you use a NAS, then yes... If you now use the external USB on the Apple TV, then no... The port is service only and can only be used on the 2nd gen when jailbroken...

  October 30, 2015 - 12:35pm
DorffMeister's picture
Offline
Joined: Oct 2015
Posts: 12
Kudos: 0
  arcadelt wrote:

My 64GB ATV 4 arrived here in Australia today. Frankly, right now all I would like from FireCore is an Infuse media player app not that much different that the one you have for the ATV 2, with largely the same features (favourite NAS shares, metadata downloading, Trakt.tv integration, etc) and a new interface to match/complement the look of the ATV 4 interface. I can wait for Siri and search integration and the other sexy stuff.

What I'm really confused about is why other are asking on the FireCore forum for other media players like Kodi, Plex, xbmc, etc. It seems to me these were just apps previously provided within the FireCore framework on a Seas0nPass jailbroken ATV 1 and 2. If you really want those, what I think you need to do it lobby the developers of those media players to create an app for the new tvOS app store, which in all likelihood will now be competitors to Infuse. Just my 2 cents worth.

arcadelt, I can only respond from my perspective.

  • I don't use Plex because I don't want to transcode my media. Why waste a ton of cycles on my server when a decent player can play all my media "as-is".
  • I love Kodi. It does everything I want. I run it now on my FireTV (because I can easily sideload on my FireTV), but I think the AppleTV might be a better device. I've been using XBMC since the days when I actually ran it on an original Xbox. I'd probably stay with Kodi in a heartbeat but the likelihood is that Apple will never approve Kodi for their store.
  • I've never used Infuse and I never meant to imply: "add these features or I won't buy your app" or "these things better be there day one or I won't buy your app". My intent was merely "I know what features a great media player would have for me" and listed some of those things here. If FireCore don't know what people want from an app, they might miss things they didn't think of or didn't think people cared about.
  October 30, 2015 - 2:00pm
arcadelt's picture
Offline
Joined: Dec 2011
Posts: 81
Kudos: 1
  ednet wrote:

I am currently using ATVflash with a 2nd Gen ATV. I have all my ripped DVDs on an external HD for use with ATVflash. Will I be able to use the same HD (with the ripped DVDs) with Infuse and ATV4 to watch movies on my TV? Will I be able to do this without a computer running?

I presume by an external HD you mean a NAS or similar. That would be the whole point ednet, to have it working similarly to how it currently works on the ATV 2, otherwise there would be no advantage over using the 'Computers' functionality built into all versions of the ATV.

  October 30, 2015 - 2:02pm
arcadelt's picture
Offline
Joined: Dec 2011
Posts: 81
Kudos: 1
  Lezz wrote:
  ednet wrote:

Will I be able to do this without a computer running?

If you use a NAS, then yes... If you now use the external USB on the Apple TV, then no... The port is service only and can only be used on the 2nd gen when jailbroken...

Can you do that on the ATV 2 Lezz? I never thought to try.

  October 30, 2015 - 3:30pm
arcadelt's picture
Offline
Joined: Dec 2011
Posts: 81
Kudos: 1
  DorffMeister][quote=arcadelt wrote:

arcadelt, I can only respond from my perspective.

  • I don't use Plex because I don't want to transcode my media. Why waste a ton of cycles on my server when a decent player can play all my media "as-is".
  • I love Kodi. It does everything I want. I run it now on my FireTV (because I can easily sideload on my FireTV), but I think the AppleTV might be a better device. I've been using XBMC since the days when I actually ran it on an original Xbox. I'd probably stay with Kodi in a heartbeat but the likelihood is that Apple will never approve Kodi for their store.
  • I've never used Infuse and I never meant to imply: "add these features or I won't buy your app" or "these things better be there day one or I won't buy your app". My intent was merely "I know what features a great media player would have for me" and listed some of those things here. If FireCore don't know what people want from an app, they might miss things they didn't think of or didn't think people cared about.

I wasn't limiting my comments to posts just in this thread DorffMeister, but the other threads under the ATV 4 topic, where some are asking for those media players. FireCore has previously bundled a number of media players, creating a sort of defacto App Store for jail broken ATV 1s and 2s, including their default media player before it was rebadged as Infuse along with their IOS offering. I presume this was because those other media players were popular early on, so they thought they would give users choice, and thus broaden the market for ATV Flash. However, those other media players have their own developer set, and they are the people that should be lobbyied if they want their favourite player in the ATV 4 App Store.

As you haven't used Infuse, let me reassure you that it is very comprehensive in its current form, and it has many of the features you would like. Of course, that might not apply to the ATV 4 App Store version, but I'm sure you could adjust or look elsewhere if it doesn't fully meet your needs. However, the development environment for Infuse is not a blank slate, as it is quite mature and has its own look and feel and feature set; and more importantly, it's own user base who have expectations that it will not stray too far from what they are used to.

  October 30, 2015 - 6:27pm
ednet's picture
Offline
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 35
Kudos: 0

Thanks guys for your input! To clarify, I currently use a 2nd Gen. ATV, jailbroken and using ATV Flash. My external HD with the ripped DVDs (via Ripit or MDRP) is connected via USB to my wi-fi router (Apple Extreme) and not to the ATV2. I guess this makes it a NAS? Sounds like I can leave the HD connected where it's at and when the Infuse for the ATV4 App Store comes out, I can enjoy the movies via the ATV4.

  October 31, 2015 - 12:36am
arcadelt's picture
Offline
Joined: Dec 2011
Posts: 81
Kudos: 1
  ednet wrote:

My external HD with the ripped DVDs (via Ripit or MDRP) is connected via USB to my wi-fi router (Apple Extreme) and not to the ATV2. I guess this makes it a NAS?

Perhaps, but I have no experience with this kind of setup. That said, if it works with your ATV now, then I suppose it should in the future.

  October 31, 2015 - 1:41am
DorffMeister's picture
Offline
Joined: Oct 2015
Posts: 12
Kudos: 0
  ednet wrote:

Thanks guys for your input! To clarify, I currently use a 2nd Gen. ATV, jailbroken and using ATV Flash. My external HD with the ripped DVDs (via Ripit or MDRP) is connected via USB to my wi-fi router (Apple Extreme) and not to the ATV2. I guess this makes it a NAS? Sounds like I can leave the HD connected where it's at and when the Infuse for the ATV4 App Store comes out, I can enjoy the movies via the ATV4.

While you aren't using a NAS box per-se, you have storage connected to your router and your router is sharing it, probably via SMB. This is pretty much the definition of Network Attached Storage, I'd say. It should work fine, I'd speculate.

Kevin

  October 31, 2015 - 5:02pm
davige's picture
Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 53
Kudos: 0

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong but if Infuse is currently an ATV app that we know works well with a jailbroken ATV2 why does Firecore feel they have to reinvent the wheel to get out Infuse for the ATV4? I would have expected Infuse to be available from day one. Developers have had almost 2 months to get apps ready. Firecore already had it done. Is it Apple's approval process? Why is Firecore's line "we'll have one ready by the end of the year." That's 2 months away. Just wondering. I've got a new ATV4 in my hands ready to load Infuse so I can get rid of my old ATV2's. Someone told me I should get a Roku 4. Not even an option if Infuse on ATV4 will work as great as it does on the ATV2.

  October 31, 2015 - 7:31pm
DorffMeister's picture
Offline
Joined: Oct 2015
Posts: 12
Kudos: 0
  davige wrote:

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong but if Infuse is currently an ATV app that we know works well with a jailbroken ATV2 why does Firecore feel they have to reinvent the wheel to get out Infuse for the ATV4? I would have expected Infuse to be available from day one. Developers have had almost 2 months to get apps ready. Firecore already had it done. Is it Apple's approval process? Why is Firecore's line "we'll have one ready by the end of the year." That's 2 months away. Just wondering. I've got a new ATV4 in my hands ready to load Infuse so I can get rid of my old ATV2's. Someone told me I should get a Roku 4. Not even an option if Infuse on ATV4 will work as great as it does on the ATV2.

While I could easily be wrong, I don't think ATV2 apps will run directly on ATV4. The new ATV4 runs a completely different operating system and likely has different APIs. I doubt the binaries are compatible.

  October 31, 2015 - 8:18pm
SubElement's picture
Offline
Joined: Oct 2015
Posts: 8
Kudos: 0

Does anyone know if Infuse for ATV4 will be able to bitstream audio to my amplifier?

  November 1, 2015 - 2:14am
arcadelt's picture
Offline
Joined: Dec 2011
Posts: 81
Kudos: 1
  davige wrote:

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong

You asked for it - you are wrong.

Seriously though, from a programming perspective, an app that works on a jail broken device is likely to have a different level of accessibility to the underlying OS, and it's interfaces and services, than those made 'legally' available by the software development kit (SDK) provided as a vendor opens access to a previously closed system. Therefore, while I suspect the recently announced Apple tvOS is based on IOS and an evolution to the OS originally provided on the Apple TV, Firecore would need to adjust their software to suit the access now allowed. Furthermore, Apple might not be too happy with software based on a commercial model that essentially involved hacking their system, so Firecore might want to tread lightly and conservatively (albeit that they already have a similar app in the IOS App Store, so maybe the relationship is better than I think) - one thing I think I could bet on though, is that because of that commercial model they probably didn't get a call from Apple to be one of the early adopters, unlike the developers of, say Crossy Road, who had a product ready to demonstrate at the Keynote Address. Another issue is that the ATV 4 interface is quite different looking and much richer, so they would want to take advantage of that, possibly including Siri support which has never really been that open to non-Apple apps before, not even on the iPhone. Also, for some reason, Apple have always limited their in-house efforts to content off iTunes (both in their store and locally on your computer) that is in MP4 or M4V format, although they have let plenty of developers sell apps in the IOS App Store that allow access to NAS devices and in different formats. It is possible that while this was acceptable for small screens, the content providers have limited Apple from giving access to users' content on larger screens (not sure why, but I am never surprised by the effort media companies go to protect themselves from piracy). Finally, I have no idea how big Firecore is, but they might not have had the spare programming capacity to meet the recoding needs.

But what a great first-world problem to have to only have to wait two months for a piece of software so we can watch TV and movies - I wish all problems were such short-term...

  November 1, 2015 - 2:15am
arcadelt's picture
Offline
Joined: Dec 2011
Posts: 81
Kudos: 1
  SubElement wrote:

Does anyone know if Infuse for ATV4 will be able to bitstream audio to my amplifier?

No, only through the TV as there is only an HDMI connection.

  November 1, 2015 - 2:49am
SubElement's picture
Offline
Joined: Oct 2015
Posts: 8
Kudos: 0
  arcadelt wrote:
  SubElement wrote:

Does anyone know if Infuse for ATV4 will be able to bitstream audio to my amplifier?

No, only through the TV as there is only an HDMI connection.

What? The Apple TV already can bitstream audio, it does it all the time with Dolby Digital content.

I meant will infused be able to bitstream DD and DTS audio streams directly over HDMI to my amplifier. Or will it need to transcode the audio first.

  November 1, 2015 - 3:48am
arcadelt's picture
Offline
Joined: Dec 2011
Posts: 81
Kudos: 1
  SubElement wrote:
  arcadelt wrote:
  SubElement wrote:

Does anyone know if Infuse for ATV4 will be able to bitstream audio to my amplifier?

No, only through the TV as there is only an HDMI connection.

What? The Apple TV already can bitstream audio, it does it all the time with Dolby Digital content.

I meant will infused be able to bitstream DD and DTS audio streams directly over HDMI to my amplifier. Or will it need to transcode the audio first.

So you asked a question you already knew the answer too?

The point I was making is that the ATV 4 no longer has audio out, only HDMI, so you need to pass any audio through the TV and then the TV needs to pass the audio signal to your receiver. It is therefore dependent on the capability of your TV, not just the ATV 4.

  November 1, 2015 - 4:38am
SubElement's picture
Offline
Joined: Oct 2015
Posts: 8
Kudos: 0
  arcadelt wrote:
  SubElement wrote:
  arcadelt wrote:
  SubElement wrote:

Does anyone know if Infuse for ATV4 will be able to bitstream audio to my amplifier?

No, only through the TV as there is only an HDMI connection.

What? The Apple TV already can bitstream audio, it does it all the time with Dolby Digital content.

I meant will infused be able to bitstream DD and DTS audio streams directly over HDMI to my amplifier. Or will it need to transcode the audio first.

So you asked a question you already knew the answer too?

The point I was making is that the ATV 4 no longer has audio out, only HDMI, so you need to pass any audio through the TV and then the TV needs to pass the audio signal to your receiver. It is therefore dependent on the capability of your TV, not just the ATV 4.

No, just because the Apple TV has the ability to bitstream DD audio, doesn't mean that applications like Infuse will be able to do it. It might not be available to do through an app, or only work with certain encoding types. Like it might work with only Dolby Digital, lossy formats like DTS. It may not be able to do compressed lossless codecs, like Dolby Digital True HD or DTS Master Audio.

Sorry that my original question wasn't specific, but I didn't think I would need to be.

In regards to no longer have optical out, that has nothing to do with getting audio to your receiver. Hooking it up to your TV first, then to your receiver is the wrong way. You should be hooking your devices up to your receiver, then having one universal output from your receiver to your TV. So that all video and audio streams on HDMI are processed by your receiver.

For example, my PS4, Wii U, Xbox One and Apple TV all hook into my receiver via HDMI. I then control what input is selected on my receiver to then output to my TV.

  November 1, 2015 - 7:09am
DorffMeister's picture
Offline
Joined: Oct 2015
Posts: 12
Kudos: 0
  arcadelt wrote:
  SubElement wrote:
  arcadelt wrote:
  SubElement wrote:

Does anyone know if Infuse for ATV4 will be able to bitstream audio to my amplifier?

No, only through the TV as there is only an HDMI connection.

What? The Apple TV already can bitstream audio, it does it all the time with Dolby Digital content.

I meant will infused be able to bitstream DD and DTS audio streams directly over HDMI to my amplifier. Or will it need to transcode the audio first.

So you asked a question you already knew the answer too?

The point I was making is that the ATV 4 no longer has audio out, only HDMI, so you need to pass any audio through the TV and then the TV needs to pass the audio signal to your receiver. It is therefore dependent on the capability of your TV, not just the ATV 4.

I don't run any of my devices HDMI directly through my TV. I run each inputs HDMI output into my receiver's HDMI input. My receiver does the HDMI switching and handles the audio. The receiver then forwards the selected HDMI AV signal to the TV.

Kevin

  November 1, 2015 - 9:52am
arcadelt's picture
Offline
Joined: Dec 2011
Posts: 81
Kudos: 1
  SubElement wrote:

Hooking it up to your TV first, then to your receiver is the wrong way. You should be hooking your devices up to your receiver, then having one universal output from your receiver to your TV. So that all video and audio streams on HDMI are processed by your receiver.

  DorffMeister wrote:

I don't run any of my devices HDMI directly through my TV. I run each inputs HDMI output into my receiver's HDMI input. My receiver does the HDMI switching and handles the audio. The receiver then forwards the selected HDMI AV signal to the TV

I no longer own a receiver, but use a Sonos soundbar, surround speakers and sub instead. This has been designed to use the TV as the input selector, and can only deal with DD and PCM stereo, requiring the TV to convert any other format to either of those. I simply forgot that using a surround receiver is the other way around.

  SubElement wrote:

No, just because the Apple TV has the ability to bitstream DD audio, doesn't mean that applications like Infuse will be able to do it. It might not be available to do through an app, or only work with certain encoding types. Like it might work with only Dolby Digital, lossy formats like DTS. It may not be able to do compressed lossless codecs, like Dolby Digital True HD or DTS Master Audio.

Sorry that my original question wasn't specific, but I didn't think I would need to be.

Sorry I misunderstood. In short, I have never checked what audio formats the Apple TV and/or Infuse can handle because I haven't needed to. However, I would have thought the ability of Infuse on the ATV to output a particular audio format was dependent on whether the underlying hardware could. According to Wikipedia (sorry, couldn't find an Apple source), the ATV 4 supports the following audio formats:

HE-AAC (V1)
AAC (16–320 kbit/s)
FairPlay protected AAC
MP3 (16–320 kbit/s, or optionally VBR)
Audible (formats 2, 3, and 4)
Apple Lossless
AIFF
WAV
Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound pass-through (aka AC-3)[60]
Dolby Digital Plus 7.1 surround sound pass-through

The only information I could find on audio formats for aTV Flash (Black) is that you can "Enable AC3 sound from files that contain an AC3 audio track (requires an AC3 compatible receiver)" in settings.

As you suggested in a previous post, even if Infuse on the ATV currently can and will in the future handle files encoded with audio format that the ATV is not capable of handling, it would need to convert those on the fly in order for them to play correctly. I would have thought this leads back to the only output going to your receiver being those that the ATV can handle. I simply cannot find any information on whether Infuse on the ATV can deal with other audio formats, so only a FireCore rep could tell you more about their software's current and future capabilities. I hope one comes on to do that for you.

  November 1, 2015 - 3:06pm
fastjack's picture
Offline
Joined: Sep 2012
Posts: 11
Kudos: 0

anyone got any further information around a release date for Infuse ATV4 edition?

it appears that aside from a we have something in the pipeline, everyone has gone quiet....