125 posts / 0 new / Last post
  November 2, 2015 - 12:31pm
DorffMeister's picture
Kudos: 0
  fastjack wrote:

anyone got any further information around a release date for Infuse ATV4 edition?

it appears that aside from a we have something in the pipeline, everyone has gone quiet....

Gone quiet? This thread never had anything even remotely related to an official announcement. The Firecore folk have been understandably quiet; there is little point in announcing something until it is ready / nearly ready or it will just make people anxious.

Please feel free to review posts here or in http://firecore.com/forum/375 for any details that might be posted, but, this forum post is purely a user-created thread speculating about what Infuse might become on ATV4. Nobody can give you any updates earlier than a yet-to-be-posted Firecore announcement, which you would probably find in the forums I just mentioned (start of this paragraph). Unless you take a job with Firecore, at which point I'm sure you will know a lot more (but still won't be able to share it with us).

November 2, 2015 - 12:39pm
andsoitgoes's picture
  fastjack wrote:

anyone got any further information around a release date for Infuse ATV4 edition?

it appears that aside from a we have something in the pipeline, everyone has gone quiet....

I'm SURE they're working on it, but I've come to recognize that silence from the Firecore team can mean not pleasant things.

James, if you're reading this, I love your products but really, really hate how you just abandoned those who paid for ATV Flash Black. I had support requests that have been ignored for years now, it's very disappointing.q

November 2, 2015 - 1:09pm
fastjack's picture

I am hoping to pick up mine tomorrow, and also would like the same functions as my ATV2

November 2, 2015 - 1:13pm
fastjack's picture
  andsoitgoes wrote:
  fastjack wrote:

I'm SURE they're working on it, but I've come to recognize that silence from the Firecore team can mean not pleasant things.

James, if you're reading this, I love your products but really, really hate how you just abandoned those who paid for ATV Flash Black. I had support requests that have been ignored for years now, it's very disappointing.q

I am hoping that the silence is a good silence, I like there product and want to use it on the new ATV

Just a bit impatient that is all Smile

November 2, 2015 - 1:29pm
Lezz's picture
Kudos: 5
  andsoitgoes wrote:

I love your products but really, really hate how you just abandoned those who paid for ATV Flash Black.

I understand how you feel, but demanding support for an end of life, 5 year old product is a bit odd.

I know, if it ain't broke don't fix it, but it's five years old. I had the same Apple TV and upgraded to the 3, and now the 4. Used infuse reliably via AirPlay for 3 years.

So I'd rather have them pouring their energy in current models/software, even if it means I have to pay for new hardware now and again...

November 2, 2015 - 1:51pm
andsoitgoes's picture
  Lezz wrote:
  andsoitgoes wrote:

I love your products but really, really hate how you just abandoned those who paid for ATV Flash Black.

I understand how you feel, but demanding support for an end of life, 5 year old product is a bit odd.

I know, if it ain't broke don't fix it, but it's five years old. I had the same Apple TV and upgraded to the 3, and now the 4. Used infuse reliably via AirPlay for 3 years.

So I'd rather have them pouring their energy in current models/software, even if it means I have to pay for new hardware now and again...

Then they should have stopped selling ATV Flash Black if they're not going to support it. Or tell us that they can't support it, I have requests that are left in limbo, not updated, no response from anything, not even so much as a "Sorry, we can't support that anymore".

If you sell it actively, you damn well better support it, Lifetime Updates are still available, it doesn't say anywhere that you'll get no support if you purchase the product.

Remember, I'm not asking Apple to support the Apple TV, I'm asking Firecore to support an active product they sell for a very decent amount of money, hell lifetime upgrades puts you at $60, that's almost as much as the 3rd Gen Apple TV.

November 2, 2015 - 1:57pm
andsoitgoes's picture

Actually, I just checked. All my requests have been closed, and the most recent ones I'd been asking for help with were from 2013, so I've had requests go simply ignored for 2 years because of whatever reason, then they just closed the requests.

You have to understand how this makes me hesitant to trust in a company.

But again, they're still selling the damn product, who wants to buy something that will certainly not be supported when that's not advertised?

November 2, 2015 - 2:02pm
Lezz's picture

Yeah, it's weird they're still selling it when the atv2 is end of life. Was a longtime subscriber myself.

Don't know how many developers they have working, but it feels like they are spreading themselves thin.

November 2, 2015 - 2:19pm
andsoitgoes's picture
  Lezz wrote:

Yeah, it's weird they're still selling it when the atv2 is end of life. Was a longtime subscriber myself.

Don't know how many developers they have working, but it feels like they are spreading themselves thin.

I really wouldn't be so upset if they actually just explained themselves, but they fully closed the requests down after I send at least 5 "Can you let me know what's going on?" questions when Match stopped working.

My last follow up to a match question was in Feb of 2014, it was closed by support as "complete" in March, with no notification to me about it, no comments, nothing.

What does that mean for their other software?

I get that one needs to abandon old tech, but when you set yourself up to sell something with "Lifetime Upgrades", and then kill support requests (which also kill the ability to rate your support) and proudly display an 89% satisfaction rating, it's dishonest and really, really sketchy.

Take that down, or support your damn product, simple as that. They're gaming the system and making people think they'll get support if they buy in, that's really not cool.

November 2, 2015 - 3:33pm
arcadelt's picture
Kudos: 1

People, with all due respect, could you please take your support (or lack there of) discussion to another place in the forum. The OP's topic is about a version of Infuse for ATV 4, not Firecore's support history.

November 2, 2015 - 5:02pm
andsoitgoes's picture
  arcadelt wrote:

People, with all due respect, could you please take your support (or lack there of) discussion to another place in the forum. The OP's topic is about a version of Infuse for ATV 4, not Firecore's support history.

No.

I don't see how their lack of support of their products does not relate to the concern with Infuse being not only released but supported in the long term.

They are still selling a product that costs $60 that they do not support. That they ignored previous support requests and prevented their support being rated. These are all things that speak to a company with some questionable customer service. It also relates to their lack of communication.

I know they're a small team, but ignoring customers who have supported them and recommended them to many speaks to their overall quality.

November 2, 2015 - 5:29pm
arcadelt's picture
  andsoitgoes wrote:

No.

I don't see how their lack of support of their products does not relate to the concern with Infuse being not only released but supported in the long term.

They are still selling a product that costs $60 that they do not support. That they ignored previous support requests and prevented their support being rated. These are all things that speak to a company with some questionable customer service. It also relates to their lack of communication.

I know they're a small team, but ignoring customers who have supported them and recommended them to many speaks to their overall quality.

Look, I get that, and could almost have predicted your response because you are on a mission. But truly, this post is about discussing the new version on Infuse for the ATV 4 and its feature set, capabilities, etc. Your discussion is about a wider company issue, and really needs to go elsewhere. I have resisted commenting on my experience about Firecore support because I did not want to breach forum etiquette by furthering your hijacking of the OP's topic, but I would be more than happy to engage with you if you start a post on your topic of interest. Please play by the accepted rules and give the OP common courtesy by doing that.

If it's any consolation to you, the version of Infuse for the ATV 4 will be in the Apple tvOS App Store, so purchasing, licensing and support will be governed quite differently to how it is through Firecore's own sales channel.

November 2, 2015 - 11:16pm
itimpi's picture
Kudos: 112

I would have thought that any version of infuse for the ATV4 will be based on the current inFuse 3 available for iPad/iPod/iPhone devices, not on the version that is on the ATV2. The iOS infuse is already compatible with iOS9 so the extra work will be about adapting it to the ATV4 user Interface (which is probably non-trivial). InFuse 3 is also already sold via the app store, so as such has satisfied any requirements that imposes in terms of internal API's used, and is able to run on devices that are not jailbroken which has to be good in the longer term.

Assuming that the ATV4 version of inFuse will have feature level compatibility with inFuse 3 on other iOS devices that does mean the initial release is likely to be missing features in the ATV2 version (e.g. playing .iso files, playing audio files). Releasing for the ATV4 would I think increase the pressure/demand for these features to be added. However I would assume that it is likely these features would then arrive on all iOS devices, not just the ATV4 when they arrive in the iOS version.

Whether there will be any sort of upgrade pricing for the ATV4 version of inFuse for those who already have another variant I have no idea (or whether there will even be a practical way of offering it). However even if one has to pay again as long as the price is comparable to the iOS pricing rather than the ATV2 pricing I personally would be happy to pay for again for an app I expect to use for hours every day. In the ideal world it would become an Universal app that runs all iOS9 platforms.

I AM A USER - NOT A FIRECORE EMPLOYEE

November 3, 2015 - 1:46pm
arcadelt's picture

Plex gets an Apple TV app for streaming your media library.
http://www.pcworld.com/article/3000896/streami...

While I don't like Plex because of the different capabilities of various server-side processing, as the first NAS capable app in the tvOS App Store, they have stolen a march on Firecore, so will snap up new users first. Once you get used to something, you often don't change.

November 3, 2015 - 2:27pm
arcadelt's picture
  itimpi wrote:

I would have thought that any version of infuse for the ATV4 will be based on the current inFuse 3 available for iPad/iPod/iPhone devices, not on the version that is on the ATV2. The iOS infuse is already compatible with iOS9 so the extra work will be about adapting it to the ATV4 user Interface (which is probably non-trivial). InFuse 3 is also already sold via the app store, so as such has satisfied any requirements that imposes in terms of internal API's used, and is able to run on devices that are not jailbroken which has to be good in the longer term.

Assuming that the ATV4 version of inFuse will have feature level compatibility with inFuse 3 on other iOS devices that does mean the initial release is likely to be missing features in the ATV2 version (e.g. playing .iso files, playing audio files). Releasing for the ATV4 would I think increase the pressure/demand for these features to be added. However I would assume that it is likely these features would then arrive on all iOS devices, not just the ATV4 when they arrive in the iOS version.

Whether there will be any sort of upgrade pricing for the ATV4 version of inFuse for those who already have another variant I have no idea (or whether there will even be a practical way of offering it). However even if one has to pay again as long as the price is comparable to the iOS pricing rather than the ATV2 pricing I personally would be happy to pay for again for an app I expect to use for hours every day. In the ideal world it would become an Universal app that runs all iOS9 platforms.

itimpi, have a read of this blog on the development of the Plex app, and that might provide some answers as to why it might be a little of both Infuse 3 and Infuse for aTV Flash (Black) that will contribute to the new app: https://blog.plex.tv/2015/11/02/plex-on-the-ne...

November 3, 2015 - 4:00pm
davy1shoe's picture

Got my ATV4 today just set up Plex on it running great only problem my NAS drives (my drive live) are to old to run Plex on them so i need my pc running plex server on to stream from them.

November 4, 2015 - 1:41am
ClonyXXL's picture

I have not tried Plex. I read almost any Synology NAS has a processor with such power that managed transcoding directly to the NAS itself. So it's not about the age of the NAS.

November 4, 2015 - 2:35am
Lezz's picture

Most NAS's cpu's are not fast enough to transcode the full video, so starting a video with subtitles on (which plex will burn in to the video file) will not work. What does work is:

• Direct Play
    an h264 mp4 with DD 5.1, does not need to be transcoded as the format is a standard Apple TV format.
  • Direct Stream
    an h264 mkv with DTS 5.1 and subtitles off will be remuxed on the fly, which means the audio and video files will be unpacked and repackaged to an mp4. Only the audio will be transcoded to DD 5.1. The end result is a correct mp4 file the Apple TV can play. This is some thing most low and underpowered NAS's can do.
  November 4, 2015 - 2:53am
arcadelt's picture
  Lezz wrote:

Most NAS's cpu's are not fast enough to transcode the full video

...and ARM based processor in NAS won't transcode at all. I'm currently trying to serve Plex from my WD My Cloud EX4 to the ATV 4, and it's a dog.

November 4, 2015 - 3:44am
Lezz's picture

Mine works great if you know what can and can't be done. I've got a Synology DS213j with plex and works flawlessly if you can live without subs.

I hope infuse will handle subs better than plex and be able to play or transcode DTS. That would make me switch back to infuse...

November 4, 2015 - 3:57am
arcadelt's picture
  Lezz wrote:

I hope infuse will handle subs better than plex and be able to play or transcode DTS. That would make me switch back to infuse...

Using aTV Flash (Black) on the ATV 2 subtitles were flawless. Given that the processing power of the ATV 4 is miles ahead of the ATV 2, I'm sure it will still be flawless. Anyway, my Plex dalliance has ended in abject failure and I have now deleted all traces of Plex from my ATV 4 and WD NAS...I'm waiting for Infuse: hope it's not too far away!

November 4, 2015 - 6:49am
aj.14852's picture
  itimpi wrote:

I

I have new ATV4 and the app store shows 'purchased' iOS apps that are available for the new ATV. I think the surprise was that Plex was released as a 'free app' and that sets a line in the sand for other streaming apps. Infuse for ATV2 has features I would pay for - I miss external subtitle support for one.

November 4, 2015 - 6:54am
aj.14852's picture
  arcadelt wrote:

Plex gets an Apple TV app for streaming your media library.
http://www.pcworld.com/article/3000896/streami...

While I don't like Plex because of the different capabilities of various server-side processing, as the first NAS capable app in the tvOS App Store, they have stolen a march on Firecore, so will snap up new users first. Once you get used to something, you often don't change.

Actually SimpleX was the first in the app store and it is very good. Not free and not as visually rich as Plex but in some ways, I actually prefer its clean and simple UI. Now if either Plex or SimpleX had simple external subtitles, I would be content. Oh yeah - Siri search of NAS media would be great.

November 4, 2015 - 6:55am
aj.14852's picture
  Lezz wrote:

Mine works great if you know what can and can't be done. I've got a Synology DS213j with plex and works flawlessly if you can live without subs.

Amen

November 4, 2015 - 10:54am
andsoitgoes's picture

Plex simply does not work for the majority of, well, anything. I've had it throw up error after error, saying it can't play this file or that. If you don't have your media in Apple-friendly formats, you're going to find a lot that simply don't work, and the ones that do are often baffling.

Right now, the only solutions are NAStify and VideoExplorer. I'm in the beta for both and they've had extensive updates over the last few days alone. Each have their strengths and weaknesses, NAStify is the only option currently that supports subtitles, but it cannot resume where you left off. VideoExplorer is great, but when video files don't fully buffer, unless they're of a certain type, you can't skip forward/back, only within about 30 seconds (I presume that's where their buffering system is).

I don't think either will match what Infuse has to offer, and it's this lack of any discussion past the 26th of October that concerns me. Some, ANY information as to what's happening is important for those who are currently sitting and anxiously waiting what seems to be the only real solution.

Infuse works, many have requested to join the beta, I for one while critical would be happy to try and help figure out what needs to be done, but the silence is just intensely frustrating.

November 4, 2015 - 1:06pm
fastjack's picture
  andsoitgoes wrote:

Plex simply does not work for the majority of, well, anything. I've had it throw up error after error, saying it can't play this file or that. If you don't have your media in Apple-friendly formats, you're going to find a lot that simply don't work, and the ones that do are often baffling.

Right now, the only solutions are NAStify and VideoExplorer. I'm in the beta for both and they've had extensive updates over the last few days alone. Each have their strengths and weaknesses, NAStify is the only option currently that supports subtitles, but it cannot resume where you left off. VideoExplorer is great, but when video files don't fully buffer, unless they're of a certain type, you can't skip forward/back, only within about 30 seconds (I presume that's where their buffering system is).

I don't think either will match what Infuse has to offer, and it's this lack of any discussion past the 26th of October that concerns me. Some, ANY information as to what's happening is important for those who are currently sitting and anxiously waiting what seems to be the only real solution.

Infuse works, many have requested to join the beta, I for one while critical would be happy to try and help figure out what needs to be done, but the silence is just intensely frustrating.

I agree, the silence isn't golden...

November 4, 2015 - 1:18pm
tomvs's picture

I tried NAStify, but coudn't get it to play anything from my SMB shares (Default Windows 7 and El Capitan SMB shares). Infuse on my iPhone and Kodi on my Fire TV work fine, though. I may try to set up a uPnP server to see if that works better.

I'd give VideoExplorer a try, but don't want to pay $$ for something that I'm not sure will work.

In other news, Kodi is coming to the Apple TV soon, under the name MrMC (take a look at the Kodi iOS forum). They're stripping out non-Apple compliant stuff (addons) and expect to put it on the app store. And I'm not sure if it's already been mentioned here, but side-loading to apple TV is a thing that's happening now that anyone can do for free (via Xcode). So we've got a lot of options for software, even if they don't meet Apple's guidelines.

I can't wait to compare kodi and Infuse on the ATV with some high-bitrate 10bit video files. Because Infuse has been on iOS devices and the app store for a while, I'm guessing (hoping) it will have much better decoding performance. Though that may not be an issue because of the power of the A8 and that we're limited to 1080p output. Though that won't stop me from decoding some 4k files Smile

November 4, 2015 - 1:50pm
ulyses's picture
  tomvs wrote:

I tried NAStify, but coudn't get it to play anything from my SMB shares (Default Windows 7 and El Capitan SMB shares). Infuse on my iPhone and Kodi on my Fire TV work fine, though. I may try to set up a uPnP server to see if that works better.

I'd give VideoExplorer a try, but don't want to pay $$ for something that I'm not sure will work.

In other news, Kodi is coming to the Apple TV soon, under the name MrMC (take a look at the Kodi iOS forum). They're stripping out non-Apple compliant stuff (addons) and expect to put it on the app store. And I'm not sure if it's already been mentioned here, but side-loading to apple TV is a thing that's happening now that anyone can do for free (via Xcode). So we've got a lot of options for software, even if they don't meet Apple's guidelines.

I can't wait to compare kodi and Infuse on the ATV with some high-bitrate 10bit video files. Because Infuse has been on iOS devices and the app store for a while, I'm guessing (hoping) it will have much better decoding performance. Though that may not be an issue because of the power of the A8 and that we're limited to 1080p output. Though that won't stop me from decoding some 4k files Smile

Hi
I compare kodi and infuse on atv2 (black) with my 120'' projector screen. And I have to say infuse is much better in both resolution and color gamut. I also noticed dolby digital and dts sounds better on infuse (much darker background, clear positioning). I am just holding trigger on atv4 for infuse. This silence keeps me hold.

November 4, 2015 - 2:01pm
davy1shoe's picture

I've got Plex running flawless via my computer but it's a water oiled beast that nothing slows it down.
Never had any issues with my old atv2 running Infuse so hopefully with new hardware and the incoming infuse will be stunning.

November 4, 2015 - 2:02pm
davy1shoe's picture
  davy1shoe wrote:

I've got Plex running flawless via my computer but it's a water cooled beast that nothing slows it down.
Never had any issues with my old atv2 running Infuse so hopefully with new hardware and the incoming infuse will be stunning.