125 posts / 0 new / Last post
  November 5, 2015 - 1:28pm
GusRocket's picture
Kudos: 0

Hello all

Do we have an ETA on inFusion for ATV 4?

Regards,

Gustavo

November 5, 2015 - 1:47pm
arcadelt's picture
Kudos: 1
  GusRocket wrote:

Hello all

Do we have an ETA on inFusion for ATV 4?

Regards,

Gustavo

Simple answer: NO!

I'd love for one of the FireCore staff to write a short update.

November 9, 2015 - 5:18pm
jake.shenker's picture
Beta Tester

Well, the beta was announced today, which will start next week. So the new app should be coming soonish.

November 9, 2015 - 5:59pm
arcadelt's picture

Frown Sad Face. Guess I'm not a beta tester then?

November 9, 2015 - 6:09pm
davy1shoe's picture

They need to hurry up before someone works out how to side load Kodi

November 9, 2015 - 9:05pm
thanatrix@gmail.com's picture

Gotta say I'm pretty disappointed to not have received a beta invite today. As a long time ATV Flash user (with a lifetime plan) and a purchaser or Infuse Pro for my phone and ipad I thought I'd be a shoe in. All other media streaming apps on the new ATV are crap compared to Infuse....and my kids get increasingly upset they can't watch their movies on the new one.

November 9, 2015 - 11:19pm
Lezz's picture
Kudos: 5

I got an invite so I'm looking forward to go bug hunting and provide feedback.

November 9, 2015 - 11:52pm
davy1shoe's picture

Keep us updated man so we see how good it going to be.

November 10, 2015 - 1:12am
arcadelt's picture

I very curious what the criteria to get into beta testing program was?

November 10, 2015 - 1:14am
arcadelt's picture
  arcadelt wrote:

I very curious what the criteria to get into beta testing program was?

Arghh. I'm very curious...

I hate that this forum doesn't have an edit feature.

November 10, 2015 - 2:27am
Lezz's picture

What they said in the beta signup was it would be a random draw...

November 10, 2015 - 2:47am
arcadelt's picture
  Lezz wrote:

What they said in the beta signup was it would be a random draw...

Must have missed that. Not sure that's how you get the best outcome. Would have thought you'd want to test across a range of hardware and countries, given that both factors could introduce failure.

November 10, 2015 - 3:51am
odok76's picture
Beta Tester

Just an question for you guys, what's going to be an optimal hardware setup for the new atv and infuse?

Atm am using a time capsule which streams HD video no probs to a WD TV. Can I expect performance to be okay with this option? Would consider a dedicated NAS otherwise, but preferably something cheap.

Any thoughts?

November 10, 2015 - 4:12am
Lezz's picture

I use a DS213j, which I consider a whimpy NAS. As the transcoding should be done on the Apple TV, the NAS's CPU shouldn't matter, as it is only being used as a file server.

November 10, 2015 - 4:29am
dergerman's picture

I am using a time capsule with more hard disks attached on USB. No Problems with infuse on ATV 2, so i think it will work on ATV 4 a the same

Gretes

November 10, 2015 - 4:45am
WimbledonEd's picture
Kudos: 2
  odok wrote:

Just an question for you guys, what's going to be an optimal hardware setup for the new atv and infuse?

Atm am using a time capsule which streams HD video no probs to a WD TV. Can I expect performance to be okay with this option? Would consider a dedicated NAS otherwise, but preferably something cheap.

Any thoughts?

Well, I used to use a WD My Book Live with an iPad 2 and I would AirPlay movies to an Apple TV 3. That set-up worked perfectly well, although I always tried to keep my movie library consistent (all MP4, h264 etc) so as little transcoding as possible is happening. I still do, actually.

The iPad 2 has (I think) an A5 processor so the Apple TV 4 should be considerably more powerful than that. I'd see how you go with the Time Capsule before you fork out for a new NAS.

November 10, 2015 - 4:59am
odok76's picture
Beta Tester

Thanks. Will see how I go w the time capsule and will try an upgrade to a NAS as necessary. Sounds like any old NAS wired w gigabit Ethernet should do the trick. Have looked at the WD My Cloud

November 10, 2015 - 5:14am
arcadelt's picture
  odok wrote:

Any thoughts?

In my time as an Infuse user on two separate ATV 2s, I have used a WD My Book World Edition II, WD My Book Live Duo and now a WD EX4. All have worked flawlessly, which is pretty impressive considering the low processing power of the MBWE II. I'm fairly certain the Time Capsule will be more than adequate. My only issue has been continually running out of space, hence the EX4 with 24TB on board.

November 10, 2015 - 5:22am
GusRocket's picture

Does anyone knows if we'll be able to play MKV files with DTS-HD audio?
I'm currently using a WD TV and despite the very old user interface, I can easily stream videos files with DTS-HD audio.
I really want to buy the new Apple TV, but Infuse is the only reason I would get one. But, It's pretty important to have this support, otherwise there is no reason to change the hardware.

FYI: I can play DTS-HD files in Infuse 3 on my Ipad and even send them to my Apple TV (3rd Gen), but the audio is only stereo.

November 10, 2015 - 5:23am
odok76's picture
Beta Tester

That's a pretty serious media library. I've got my TC partitioned so it is limited to 1TB for backups whilst the rest is media... Does the job so far, I only save classics and delete the rest after they're watched.

Have been using SMB. Is that what everyone else is doing?

November 10, 2015 - 5:45am
arcadelt's picture
  odok wrote:

Have been using SMB. Is that what everyone else is doing?

Yep, SMB for me too using Infuse on the ATV 2, but I find on my Mac connecting to my NAS via AFP is much faster than an SMB connection for some reason.

November 10, 2015 - 5:59am
davy1shoe's picture

Gus all my files on my two my drive lives are mkv and play any type of surround I throw at them I my old atv 2 running infuse.

November 10, 2015 - 6:00am
odok76's picture
Beta Tester
  arcadelt wrote:

...connecting to my NAS via AFP is much faster than an SMB connection for some reason.

Yeah I read that may be the case. I'm hoping to be able to stream directly from my seedbox to the apple tv. Barring that, I'll be using ftp/sftp to transfer media to the NAS.

But you get adequate speeds using SMB for 1080p content without buffering?
Thanks again for your help!

November 10, 2015 - 6:05am
Lezz's picture
  GusRocket wrote:

Does anyone knows if we'll be able to play MKV files with DTS-HD audio?

My guess is it'll be stereo for now as I think they are porting their current codebase. I don't know how far along there were with implementing downmixing DTS 5.1 to Dolby Digital 5.1, but that one is high on my wish list, as before I had configured my NAS to recode all DTS mkv's to Dolby Digital (using ffmpeg)

November 10, 2015 - 6:44am
DorffMeister's picture
  odok wrote:

On my FireTV (2014 edition), using Kodi (wired, not Wifi) I can play 1080p from my NAS via SMB with zero issues.

My friend has a FireTV Stick (also 2014 edition) and via Wifi he cannot play 1080p without a LOT of buffering, streaming from his Mac via SMB, although 720p plays perfectly for him.

Multiple issues possibly at work here: the first is the Stick is not a terribly fast device, 2 cores vs 4 cores of the FireTV non-stick. Second, streaming over Wifi can have connectivity / physical obstacle issues which can slow down your speed. Finally, the Mac has issues with providing SMB. He's running SMB-Up, which seems works pretty well but I haven't benchmarked it. My first bet is that HIS Wifi isn't powerful enough to stream 1080p - he has a relatively old, simple router. The closer you have your Wifi to the devices that use it the more bandwidth you will likely get.

Kevin

November 10, 2015 - 12:04pm
arcadelt's picture
  odok][quote=arcadelt wrote:

Thanks again for your help!

I have very few 1080p files since the ATV 2 was only 720p. My connection is strong wireless, but only the highest bit rate 1080p will be affected. I certainly cannot play raw MKV rips straight from Blu-ray Discs, but this could be due either to the wireless connection or processing limitations of the ATV 2, rather than being an SMB connection.

November 11, 2015 - 8:22am
keldw's picture
  Lezz wrote:

I got an invite so I'm looking forward to go bug hunting and provide feedback.

Received the invite as well. Looking forward to test it out.

keld_w

November 11, 2015 - 9:54am
jake.shenker's picture
Beta Tester

Apple just raised the limit for beta users from 1000 to 2000 (through TestFlight) so perhaps more people will receive invitations!

November 11, 2015 - 1:14pm
fastjack's picture

hopefully

November 11, 2015 - 1:42pm
Lezz's picture

They already sent out the other 1000 invites...