44 posts / 0 new / Last post
#1  October 31, 2015 - 9:21am
Cj2hS's picture
Kudos: 0

Hi!
Is there any chance to play .iso files (DVD and Blu-ray) through a dedicated app on the Apple TV?
Thanks!!

Clem

November 12, 2015 - 9:39am
ljarrett's picture

I too am hoping for .ISO support since my entire 1500+ DVD collection has been ripped to .ISO.

Would someone from Firecore please comment.

November 13, 2015 - 12:50pm
landoncube's picture

I'd love to see .iso support.

"I am jealous of everything whose beauty does not die."
--Oscar Wilde

November 19, 2015 - 4:02pm
virtualbox's picture

+1 for this feature

November 21, 2015 - 12:06pm
APU's picture
APU
Kudos: 1

+1 For this Feature

November 24, 2015 - 10:40am
gpdl67's picture
Kudos: 4

+1 for this feature

November 26, 2015 - 12:28am
FCDonkey's picture
  • 1 from me too. Without .iso support infuse will not be my option nr. 1.

Would be Nice if FireCore updates their customers about if and when.

November 27, 2015 - 3:18am
s_ranzau's picture

+1

Can anyone elaborate on why nobody's implementing ISO support in their app's for iOS/tvOS? Is there some technical difficulties other than menu navigation; which I actually think is pretty straight forward with the new ATV4? And when it's already implemented in aTV Flash, why isn't it a part of Infuse? I just don't get it....

November 27, 2015 - 8:22am
tomdotcom's picture

Can I ask what the benefits of .iso compatability are? 99% of the stuff I download is in .mkv of .mp4 format. Is there a lot of stuff in .iso format?

November 27, 2015 - 8:31am
landoncube's picture

.iso is a non compressed 1:1 copy of a blu-ray or DVD.

"I am jealous of everything whose beauty does not die."
--Oscar Wilde

November 27, 2015 - 8:38am
tomdotcom's picture

Ahhh, OK, so better picture quality with less strain on the processor? Cool.

November 27, 2015 - 8:44am
Cj2hS's picture
  tomdotcom wrote:

Ahhh, OK, so better picture quality with less strain on the processor? Cool.

Better picture, better sound, with all languages and subtitles, chapters, menus, bonus, a pure virtual bluray! This is why .iso is a killer-feature.

November 27, 2015 - 8:50am
Cj2hS's picture

And of course, no waste of time with extraction/conversion/etc ... Just copy and that's it.

November 27, 2015 - 9:01am
tomdotcom's picture

Awesome! So it's less about downloading stuff, more about ripping from disc?

November 27, 2015 - 11:19am
Cj2hS's picture

It's more about backing up

November 27, 2015 - 12:43pm
WimbledonEd's picture
Kudos: 2
  tomdotcom wrote:

Can I ask what the benefits of .iso compatability are? 99% of the stuff I download is in .mkv of .mp4 format. Is there a lot of stuff in .iso format?

The disadvantage is that they can be massive files as they're uncompressed. Which is why you tend to see them er... shared... less.

November 28, 2015 - 7:40pm
pmcd's picture

ISO support on the ATV will never happen. Apple won't allow it. That whole issue is mired in controversy.

November 29, 2015 - 2:27am
Cj2hS's picture
  pmcd wrote:

ISO support on the ATV will never happen. Apple won't allow it. That whole issue is mired in controversy.

I don't agree.
While most .mkv are downloaded and playable with 3rd party softwares on the atv4, most .iso are issued from personnal backups of personnal discs. So where is the point of blocking this fonctionnality?
It has been said before: .iso are massive files that are almost never shared.
For exemple: i recorded a TV debate with my panasonic dmr and burned it on a dvd-rw.
I made a backup on my computer (no conversion here) and saved it as an .iso file.
Can someone tell me when this has been forbidden?
So what's the point of blocking .iso playing?

November 29, 2015 - 3:55pm
pmcd's picture

Backing up a commercial DVD requires breaking the encryption which is not legal in many jurisdictions. Do you know of any media players which support disk image playback?

November 29, 2015 - 4:14pm
Cj2hS's picture
  pmcd wrote:

Backing up a commercial DVD requires breaking the encryption which is not legal in many jurisdictions. Do you know of any media players which support disk image playback?

If people are taking the risk of doing illegal stuff, this is their concern... By the way, .mkv and other .mp4 files playable by infuse are all legal stuff, for sure!
There are some that can play disk image: popcornhour, nvidiashield TV, chromecast, wdtv...

November 29, 2015 - 4:39pm
s_ranzau's picture

Wrote with the Lead developer of VLC, and according to him it comes down to, quote:"the App Store ToS and the GPLv2 are incompatible as freedoms of latter are not granted to the user."

November 29, 2015 - 9:49pm
andrewg.5279's picture

Some facts:
1. PlayerXtreme on the App Store supports .iso
2. Infuse for the Apple TV2 already supports .iso.

November 30, 2015 - 4:06am
TheMadHatter's picture
  pmcd wrote:

Yes, my OPPO Blu-ray plays back .iso (as long as I don't upgrade to the newest firmware) Wink

November 30, 2015 - 9:00am
snakebyte's picture

.iso and VIDEO_TS directory, I backup all my purchased DVDs to RAID

November 30, 2015 - 1:46pm
pmcd's picture
  snakebyte wrote:

Then the Apple TV is not for you. I don't know why people seem to have such a hard time with this. In my opinion Apple won't allow disk image playback on the ATV ( a jail broken ATV2 doesn't count). If it happens then fine but I wouldn't buy an ATV4 expecting it to happen. There are plenty of unofficial Android TV boxes from China that would better suit the needs of someone for whom disk playback is important. As far as Infuse is concerned, I would rather they not include that capability as it would only delay the app being made available.

November 30, 2015 - 2:38pm
Cj2hS's picture
  pmcd wrote:
  snakebyte wrote:

Then the Apple TV is not for you. I don't know why people seem to have such a hard time with this. In my opinion Apple won't allow disk image playback on the ATV ( a jail broken ATV2 doesn't count). If it happens then fine but I wouldn't buy an ATV4 expecting it to happen. There are plenty of unofficial Android TV boxes from China that would better suit the needs of someone for whom disk playback is important. As far as Infuse is concerned, I would rather they not include that capability as it would only delay the app being made available.

Hey! Apple does allow .iso playback, some apps can do it.
I can understand you want infuse to be released soon, but you have to consider that .iso is something that infuse users want to be implemented

November 30, 2015 - 6:05pm
pmcd's picture

iOS doesn't support image playback nor all kinds of other video files ( Aviv, DivX, flash, ...). So even if you could sneak it by Apple the decoding would have to be in software which doesn't sound appealing. The Apple TV isn't going to turn into Kodi or a Popcorn Hour. Apple has to be careful not to alienate content owners. I still prefer that Firecore concentrate on other issues rather than waste time on a zillion codecs and containers.

November 30, 2015 - 9:11pm
forenikegolf's picture

I am part of the beta and I can tell you Firecore is non-committal on .iso. So probably don't hold your breath.

I have to disagree on why content owners would have a problem with a service that supports .iso. They have no less reason to be up in arms about .mkv, .avi, and other file formats. There are plenty of formats that can carry multiple audio tracks, DTS and DD, plus full HD video. Adding a menu doesn't do much to change the dynamic. Moreover plenty of home videos, like the tribute video made for my mother's funeral have menus and I have it saved as .iso so I never lose it due to a scratched disc. I simply cannot see content owners being substantially more threatened by .iso files than other file formats.

December 2, 2015 - 5:12am
snakebyte's picture

I already have an ATV4 and fire core Beta; so it is for me!

If you didn't want to wait you should have joined the Beta program.

September 2, 2016 - 1:23pm
BigWasabi's picture

Just use HandBrake to rip an ISO to MKV or M4P, keep the ISO and publish the video file.

September 2, 2016 - 2:12pm
dysse27's picture
  BigWasabi wrote:

Just use HandBrake to rip an ISO to MKV or M4P, keep the ISO and publish the video file.

I know, but I have many files to convert, so I rather wait, I know Firecore will make it happen😊