492 posts / 0 new / Last post
#1  December 3, 2015 - 12:00pm
Christian1979's picture
Beta Tester
Kudos: 167

I have installed the new AppleTV App!

It looks great, but the playback very often stutters...!
I use a dlna-Server from my Mac (twonky)...

I have tried another AppleTV App (dlna Client) and there everything plays Fine without Stuttering!

Whats wrong with Infuse??

The files are Apple conform mp4-files, so no transcoding is needed...!

December 3, 2015 - 7:29pm
Pmh's picture
Pmh
Kudos: 2
  Christian1979 wrote:

I have installed the new AppleTV App!

It looks great, but the playback very often stutters...!
I use a dlna-Server from my Mac (twonky)...

I have tried another AppleTV App (dlna Client) and there everything plays Fine without Stuttering.

(...)

The files are Apple conform mp4-files, so no transcoding is needed...!

I also experience some stuttering which was not present on Infuse with ATV2. I have a 4K TV - is this perhaps the reason?

Samsung 78JU7500, Apple TV 4, Sonos "5.1", Samsung K8500 UHD player

December 3, 2015 - 10:26pm
Cryogene's picture
Kudos: 1

Same here, it is not a bandwith stuttering, loading time and timeline jump is really quick, the stuttering is unregular and minimal , i got a similiar effect when i turn off the 24p playback option on my panasonic bdt-500

Panasonic 50CXW804, Monitor LG IPS234, Yamaha RX779, Panasonic DMP-BDT700, Philips BDP-7700, ATV4

December 3, 2015 - 11:14pm
knudsen's picture
Kudos: 0

Me too... apparently several times/second. Streaming with Beamer does'nt do this. I'm in Europe if it matters

December 3, 2015 - 11:51pm
alexioklini's picture
Beta Tester
Kudos: 4

yep - same here - its hard to describe - not smooth playback, looks like lost frames on fast movements here and there - definitely not a network throughput problem as plex or airvideo hd play the files smoothly on the apple tv from the same location.

December 3, 2015 - 11:59pm
Miagi's picture
Beta Tester

Same stuttering here... I belive that the reason is that infuse is using its own player and not the native apple tvos player... that´s why the infuse player does not need to transcode/remux anything server side... but something needs tuning.

I posted this yesterday: http://firecore.com/forum/topic/13648

December 4, 2015 - 12:02am
Vetekli's picture

Do you use 50 or 60 hz? I had problems with stuttering in different apps when display was set to 1080p 60hz but switching to 50 hz made it way better.

December 4, 2015 - 12:07am
ELTokko's picture

I also experience small jumps every few seconds. I play my files from a synology nas with smb. My Apple tv is connected with the 100 base-t port to à gigabit switch. All my files are 1080p mkvs. I think we need the nfs protocol for smooth playback.

December 4, 2015 - 12:07am
alexioklini's picture
Beta Tester

Tried both - Same result

December 4, 2015 - 12:25am
niceday1's picture

There were reports of stuttering during the beta test, i was advised to try wifi 5gz (which i did but made no difference)

I purchased the app though as its a great product but I still believe this needs looking into.

December 4, 2015 - 1:39am
Miagi's picture
Beta Tester

The stutter issue i´m experiencing has nothing to do with buffering, ethernet/wirespeed/duplex or wireless frequence (that would all cause "unstable" playback).

The constant playback stutter iám experiencing has to be a framrate issue!

Source = 23.976
ATV4 = 50 or 60

To play source material with a different framerate than used by the playback device, you need to do some magic (pulldown, frame insertion etc.) as neither 60 & 50 fps is devidable with 23.976.

I have always used XBMC/KODI and always set the display refresh rate to match that of the source... but Apple does not allow any other setting than 50 or 60.

But Apples native player is really remarkably good at the "magic" framerate manipulation, and the Infuse player currently is not (i hope they will catch up thou, as i really like the infuse app)

December 4, 2015 - 1:41am
alexioklini's picture
Beta Tester

I agree

December 4, 2015 - 3:33am
Vetekli's picture

Thats a bummer, that type of stuttering is really annoying. You might be right, maybe the native apple media player is better att adapting the framerate.

December 4, 2015 - 3:47am
alexioklini's picture
Beta Tester

Lets see how kodi (mrmc) handles this when it will be available in the near future.

December 4, 2015 - 3:50am
Miagi's picture
Beta Tester
  Vetekli wrote:

Thats a bummer, that type of stuttering is really annoying. You might be right, maybe the native apple media player is better att adapting the framerate.

I´am only speculating offcourse, but playing back the same h.264 files, from the same NAS (no transcode) shows a very big difference - sadly in the native OSTV players favor, so I´am pretty sure that has to be the root cause.... hopefully something the firecore team is able to address in a fix.

December 4, 2015 - 4:11am
ZTZ's picture
ZTZ

Same stuttering playback issue here.

December 4, 2015 - 4:15am
harbri's picture
Beta Tester

I’m also experiencing heavy stuttering in a lot of mkv-files. Sometimes it happens immediately, sometimes after a couple of minutes. I’ve tried wired as well as over WiFi (5 GHz) but the result is the same. My aTV is connected to an amplifier which is connected to my TV. I’ve also connected the aTV directly to the TV but that setup also gave me the same stuttering.

My mediafiles are on a MacMini (2012) with OSX El Capitan. I’ve even disabled all other tools and utilities that were running on the MacMini but that also didn’t make any difference at all. I’ve tried streaming the files from a share on my MacBook Air, unfortunately still the same stuttering.

This is such a disappointment, I was so looking forward to Infuse! Now it’s back to plex for me until this issue will (hopefully) get resolved. If I can be of any help analyzing the problem then please contact me as I’m happy to help trying to solve this.

December 4, 2015 - 5:59am
smett's picture
Beta Tester
Kudos: 11

Same stuttering with infuse. No problems with plex for example.

December 4, 2015 - 8:20am
Thunder2001's picture

I have also the problem.

When i play the video files over my Ipad / Infuse App / Arplay, the stuttering not present with this combination.

I think the Player in the Infuse App transcoding the video file and have frame drops from time to time.
I hope a update brings an improvement.

December 4, 2015 - 8:26am
Vetekli's picture
  Thunder2001 wrote:

I have also the problem.

When i play the video files over my Ipad / Infuse App / Arplay, the stuttering not present with this combination.

I think the Player in the Infuse App transcoding the video file and have frame drops from time to time.
I hope a update brings an improvement.

I might be wrong, but i dont think there is any transcoding going on. Only decoding.

December 4, 2015 - 8:36am
james's picture
Staff
Kudos: 1,153

We're looking into a few cases of this, and hope to have the issue resolved soon.

In the meantime, the more info we can get about the affected files the better - so if you have a moment to provide a bit more info it would be very much appreciated.

1. Run one (or more) of the video files through MediaInfo (Download links: Mac - http://fireco.re/YCm3 and PC - http://fireco.re/YCY2)
  2. Open a support ticket at http://support.firecore.com/hc/en-us/requests/new and attach the specs
  3. If you also want to provide a few details about the type of device you're streaming from, that could also be helpful

Thanks!

Infuse 6 for iOS and Apple TV is now available!

December 4, 2015 - 8:57am
harbri's picture
Beta Tester
  james wrote:

We're looking into a few cases of this, and hope to have the issue resolved soon.

In the meantime, the more info we can get about the affected files the better - so if you have a moment to provide a bit more info it would be very much appreciated.

1. Run one (or more) of the video files through MediaInfo (Download links: Mac - http://fireco.re/YCm3 and PC - http://fireco.re/YCY2)
  2. Open a support ticket at http://support.firecore.com/hc/en-us/requests/new and attach the specs
  3. If you also want to provide a few details about the type of device you're streaming from, that could also be helpful

Thanks!

Thanks for your support!
I've opened a ticket, I hope it helps to solve this.

December 4, 2015 - 10:53am
schmitz's picture

I have grey artefacts on the screen every few minutes during playback.
Is this the same problem that you all have?

I don't know when it happens, but it happens only in a few movies.

December 4, 2015 - 11:49am
knudsen's picture

Sounds to me like an encoding thats not fully supported by the ATV. You can check the encoding in i.e. VLC

schmitz wrote:

I have grey artefacts on the screen every few minutes during playback.
Is this the same problem that you all have?

I don't know when it happens, but it happens only in a few movies.

December 4, 2015 - 12:00pm
schmitz's picture
  knudsen wrote:

Sounds to me like an encoding thats not fully supported by the ATV. You can check the encoding in i.e. VLC

Codec is H264 - MPEG-4 AVC

December 4, 2015 - 12:02pm
zeib's picture

I have the same problem here. Playback stuttering for all my movies. Its really noticeable. Does is it linked to 24p in 60fps stream output?
I opened also a ticket with some media info of files.
Hope it will help for a fix to come.

December 4, 2015 - 12:57pm
Audionymous's picture

Same here, i have this Problem with all files. 480p, 540p, 720p, 1080p. MKV, Avi, MP4 and so on.

December 4, 2015 - 1:10pm
markd.8586's picture
Beta Tester

What about x265/hevc playback 1080p, it works, but with stills, the audio is good, but 1 frame a second. the atv4 is powerful enough to playback. will t work in a future update?

December 4, 2015 - 3:57pm
helonaut's picture
Beta Tester
  smett wrote:

Same stuttering with infuse. No problems with plex for example.

Same, when playing exact same file with the native Panasonic "Media Server" smart TV app, flawless processing.
Maybe it has something to do with the receiver post-processing the AppleTV?... Anyhow, the receiver is Onkyo TX-NR525 and I also have it with an Onkyo TX-NR727. That last one has got plenty of horse power so it has nothing to do with the processor not being able to handle the file.

Fire(proof|hard)Core

December 4, 2015 - 5:13pm
zamson's picture
Kudos: 3

Experiencing the same stutter/judder. Switching to 50hz makes it a bit better but still not smooth. Maybe it has something to do with 24p playback (come on Apple, we've been struggling with this for a long time). Hopefully firecore can shed some light. Meanwhile the stutter renders infuse useless Frown

December 4, 2015 - 9:52pm
tsviper's picture

Experiencing the same things as you guys are describing. Very disappointing as most of my video's are shuttering and what seems like dropping frames. Hopefully they will fix soon as I love everything else about this app and the main reason I upgraded to the new ATV 4. I submitted a ticket with Mediainfo as James requested.