20 posts / 0 new / Last post
#1  July 24, 2009 - 3:00pm
marky9074's picture
Offline
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 13
Kudos: 0

First post.. be gentle with me!

I have a synology NAS drive with an SMB share which is mounted fine in ATV. When I try to play a DVD that I shrunk down using DVDShrink, the frames stutter and the audio is on and off... basically unwatchable..

Now I thought this was due to using 85Mbs homeplugs as when I made a hard connection with the router I saw that it was OK. I read today a review of the 200Mbs homeplugs that said that the real world speed was around 17Mbs, so I would hate to think what the 85MBs run at.. :?

Anyway, as a test I installed XBMC, set up the SMB share, and bam, streamed OK, no stutters... perfect....

So why is there an issue with NitoTV?

Also I could fry an egg on the top of the ATV... even when it is on standby...

I could have sworn that I read a wiki or howto this morning saying that you had to ensure NitoTV was playing back using quicktime.. but for the life of me cannot find it!

Any help much appreciated..

Cheers,

Mark

  July 27, 2009 - 10:23am
robertbroussard's picture
Offline
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 16
Kudos: 0
  

When I try to play a DVD that I shrunk down using DVDShrink, the frames stutter and the audio is on and off... basically unwatchable..

Mark, I have this same problem with full DVD rips being referenced via my Time Capsule using the fastest connection speed and (N) and the strongest signal strength. I was up all night trying to make this work but no dice. I have called and emailed ATV Flash but have not heard anything just yet. I noticed that I was able to play some video via XBMC but that was limited to a short clip...

Do you have a solution? This is an important feature for me.

Thanks,

Robert

  July 27, 2009 - 11:34am
robertbroussard's picture
Offline
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 16
Kudos: 0

[Adding Notify Option...] oops, forgot to click the checkbox.

R

  July 29, 2009 - 12:39am
marky9074's picture
Offline
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 13
Kudos: 0

Hi Robert,

Thanks for replying to me! It's real frustrating right?!

A little history.... I just want my DVD collection backed up, and after trying handbrake and a few others got nowhere. Actually I did use MPEG Streamclip with good results but it took about 8 hours per DVD and now I forget how to use it :roll:

Anyway, DVD shrink will strip to 50%, so that is good enough for me, plus it only takes ten minutes or so per disk... perfect!

Yesterday I got the 200mbs homeplugs... plugged in, no difference :oops:

Now the DVD playback is better, but still unwatchable. The H264 files I ripped using MPEG Streamclip now play OK too...

Ultimately though we have proven that playback is fine in XBMC.. so what is going on in NitoTV....

Did you find the installation comment about playing it through quicktime... I cannot find this.. maybe I made it up... :mrgreen:

  July 29, 2009 - 1:00am
marky9074's picture
Offline
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 13
Kudos: 0

Hi Robert,

I forgot to say that I also tried to play the DVD off a USB stick plugged in the back... almost watchable, but dropped a few frames. Definitely a NitoTV thing going on here, but cannot put my finger on it...

Cheers,

Mark

  July 29, 2009 - 1:14am
marky9074's picture
Offline
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 13
Kudos: 0
  August 6, 2009 - 12:24pm
marky9074's picture
Offline
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 13
Kudos: 0

OK I played around today again... tried it as mixed... tried it as mplayer...tried it as quicktime... all the same.. changed the cache setting.. 1 min, 2 min... 15 minutes.... no good, still jumping...

Now, as a test I installed Boxee on my laptop which is wireless and I could stream the DVD fine from the NAS box.. now the homeplugs are around 4 times faster than wireless, and I can stream no problem to XBMC... so why is there such an issue with NitoTV?

I just plugged in a hard connection again, and all is good, so it is certainly a speed issue, but if I have no issue with XBMC on the ATV then why is there an issue with NitoTV.... Frown

  August 7, 2009 - 2:02pm
marky9074's picture
Offline
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 13
Kudos: 0

Had another play today.. installed vlc player on the laptop and streamed DVD from the NAS drive fine using both wireless and the Homeplug AV 200.... so I am at a loss now... thinking of binning the ATV and looking for something else to stream my DVDs.... :cry: :cry:

  August 21, 2009 - 1:16am
marky9074's picture
Offline
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 13
Kudos: 0

OK, it seems that I was not aware the ATV had wireless built in.. :roll: :lol:

Once I enabled this (didnt like wep with my Linksys router, so tried wpa2 instead) DVD streamed fine, but H264 was jumpy.. Frown previously this was the other way around.. not sure how a wireless connection can trump a 100Mbs connection, unless there are errors using the homeplugs etc...

Anyway, this seems to work for me, but it is not ideal...

Mark

  August 21, 2009 - 5:52am
gillesdreu's picture
Offline
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 30
Kudos: 0

I have the same problem while streaming... it is a little bit jumpy, not enough not to watch the movie butI don't understand why is there a problem with Nito TV !?!?

  September 29, 2009 - 8:48am
MatsA's picture
Offline
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 2
Kudos: 0

Hi,

I am using NitoTV on WLAN network with an Aiport Extreme and my DVD rips stored on an iMACs hard disk. I get very sluggish behaviour when trying to stream through a SMB share to my ATV! Streamimg normal ATV content (i.e. ATV formatted media files) using the stanrard ATV stuff works OK (no problems at all)!

I this something to expect? Is transferring of ripped DVD content more bandwidth consuming than standard ATV content or maybe something is wrong? Settings? Problems in the NitoTV release? Ohers?

Any comments or suggestions for me! I would really like to stream DVDs over WLAN to my ATV!

Mats

  October 1, 2009 - 2:20pm
james's picture
Staff
Offline
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 14,566
Kudos: 1,281

Streaming DVD (VIDEO_TS) files is best done through a wired connection. It is possible to do via a wifi connection, however depending on the distance between the router and AppleTV the performance may not be ideal.

Infuse 6 for iOS and Apple TV is now available!

  November 22, 2009 - 10:40am
marky9074's picture
Offline
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 13
Kudos: 0

Just a little update that I am still using wireless, but dropping frames. As I highlighted earlier, [b]there are no problems [/b] streaming this content with Boxee or XBMC, only [b]Nito TV [/b].... bearing this in mind I do not think it is a wired/wireless issue, but accept the fact if I had a hard connection direct to the router it would solve the problem...

  December 24, 2009 - 12:47am
vidman's picture
Offline
Joined: Feb 2009
Posts: 4
Kudos: 0

[size=150][b]What is the deal here!!![/b] we [u]need [/u]a solution ATV Flash[/size].

I have the exactly the same issue. Boxee on ATV streams perfectly but not NitoTV it basically hangs after 3 seconds of audio and video, after that i only get a frame every 5-10 seconds and no audio.

Yet in Boxee it plays without a glitch.

  January 12, 2010 - 1:18am
marky9074's picture
Offline
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 13
Kudos: 0

Hi there, glad you posted... we need to bring more attention to this as currently it is ignored.... :evil:

I think people are overlooking the obvious.... if it can stream OK with Boxee or XBMC [b]IT IS NOT [/b]a wireless problem....

The only thing I can think of is maybe its an SMB mount problem? Unless I am mistaken XMBC creates its own mounts? Not sure about Boxee. If I get time I might try an NFS mount instead, but tbh as XBMC streamer my music and photos, I am running out of reasons to try and get this working on Nito TV...

  June 3, 2010 - 1:35am
marky9074's picture
Offline
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 13
Kudos: 0

Just a little update here... I have spent quite some £££££ flood wiring my house with CAT5e in an attempt to futureproof. I assumed this would fix the problem, it's a gigabit network anyway (yes, I know the ATV is 100 base T), but alas no... it is still juddery...

[b]Does the cache function work at all???[/b]

I notice too that the file access to the samba share is pretty sluggish... I have to wait for the images to load up and to navigate down my mounted folder. All of this is flawless in XBMC. I am wondering if there is a way to force the ATV to load straight up into XBMC. If they update the theme to be the same as the Windoze version there would be no reason to bail out to the Apple UI....

Seriously considering ditching the ATV on ebay and replacing it with an xtreamer which I've been testing the last few months.. :evil:

  June 3, 2010 - 11:39am
max's picture
Moderator
max
Offline
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,745
Kudos: 1
  "marky9074" wrote:

Just a little update here... I have spent quite some £££££ flood wiring my house with CAT5e in an attempt to futureproof. I assumed this would fix the problem, it's a gigabit network anyway (yes, I know the ATV is 100 base T), but alas no... it is still juddery...

[b]Does the cache function work at all???[/b]

I notice too that the file access to the samba share is pretty sluggish... I have to wait for the images to load up and to navigate down my mounted folder. All of this is flawless in XBMC. I am wondering if there is a way to force the ATV to load straight up into XBMC. If they update the theme to be the same as the Windoze version there would be no reason to bail out to the Apple UI....

Seriously considering ditching the ATV on ebay and replacing it with an xtreamer which I've been testing the last few months.. :evil:

Which version of aTV Flash are you running? Was it recently updated? The current 4.1.2 version includes a number of SMB streaming improvements.

  1. Ensure all items are up-to-date through the Maintenance --> Manage Plugins menu.
  2. Re-run the Smart Installer to take advantage of the SMB streaming improvements (http://wiki.atvflash.com/index.php?title=Smart...)
  June 4, 2010 - 8:49am
odinb's picture
Offline
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 213
Kudos: 0
  "marky9074" wrote:

I am wondering if there is a way to force the ATV to load straight up into XBMC.

Well, there are several ways actually:

AppleTV/Linux bootmenu: http://wiki.github.com/Evinyatar/atvclient/app...

HOW-TO install a Miminal Ubuntu and XBMC with sound over HDMI on the AppleTV: http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HOW-TO_in...

XBMC CrystalHD branch on a USB stick: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?t=64634&h...

  June 16, 2010 - 12:26am
marky9074's picture
Offline
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 13
Kudos: 0
  "guardianmax" wrote:
  "marky9074" wrote:

Just a little update here... I have spent quite some £££££ flood wiring my house with CAT5e in an attempt to futureproof. I assumed this would fix the problem, it's a gigabit network anyway (yes, I know the ATV is 100 base T), but alas no... it is still juddery...

[b]Does the cache function work at all???[/b]

I notice too that the file access to the samba share is pretty sluggish... I have to wait for the images to load up and to navigate down my mounted folder. All of this is flawless in XBMC. I am wondering if there is a way to force the ATV to load straight up into XBMC. If they update the theme to be the same as the Windoze version there would be no reason to bail out to the Apple UI....

Seriously considering ditching the ATV on ebay and replacing it with an xtreamer which I've been testing the last few months.. :evil:

Which version of aTV Flash are you running? Was it recently updated? The current 4.1.2 version includes a number of SMB streaming improvements.

  1. Ensure all items are up-to-date through the Maintenance --> Manage Plugins menu.
  2. Re-run the Smart Installer to take advantage of the SMB streaming improvements (http://wiki.atvflash.com/index.php?title=Smart...)

Yep, I'm on the latest version... was quite optimistic about the SMB updates... but doesnt seem to have done anything for me... Frown

  June 16, 2010 - 12:29am
marky9074's picture
Offline
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 13
Kudos: 0
  "odinb" wrote:
  "marky9074" wrote:

I am wondering if there is a way to force the ATV to load straight up into XBMC.

Well, there are several ways actually:

AppleTV/Linux bootmenu: http://wiki.github.com/Evinyatar/atvclient/app...

HOW-TO install a Miminal Ubuntu and XBMC with sound over HDMI on the AppleTV: http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HOW-TO_in...

XBMC CrystalHD branch on a USB stick: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?t=64634&h...

Thanks for that.. but I was more thinking along the lines of a straight redirect rather than booting into linux..