47 posts / 0 new / Last post
#1  February 5, 2016 - 12:08pm
PsheNik's picture
Kudos: 0

Hello everyone!
First of all I'd like to thank creators for this amazing app, it's awesome!

I've got a question:
Do you have any plans of adding support of music files? (m4a especially)

Because this app is perfect for watching video, and I can't fing the same app for listening to music. (VLC sucks)

Thank you for attention.

February 5, 2016 - 12:13pm
MillerKru's picture
Kudos: 3

I 2nd music support! It would be great to have all my media supported by 1 app. VLC is clunky at best, and it is ugly to the eye!lol

AppleTV4th Gen times 2, streaming from WD MyCloud 4100 PR series 32TB, Mac always off!

February 5, 2016 - 12:30pm
PsheNik's picture

If the answer of creators is negative, maybe someone will recommend app that helps to play music via ATV4 from wi-fi device without macbook? (except VLC) (if it's not prohibited here)

February 5, 2016 - 10:48pm
Yardennet's picture

This would be amazing. Please enable audio on the app. And playlists. Basically something like the Sonos app but playing from Airpor Time capsule or any other drive on the network.

February 6, 2016 - 1:44am
smett's picture
Beta Tester
Kudos: 12
  PsheNik wrote:

If the answer of creators is negative, maybe someone will recommend app that helps to play music via ATV4 from wi-fi device without macbook? (except VLC) (if it's not prohibited here)

Plex.

February 6, 2016 - 5:07am
mrfatboy's picture
Kudos: 13

Also look at Fileexplorer and FileBrowser. Nothing fancy but works.

February 6, 2016 - 5:28am
aarfing's picture

Personally, I would prefer if they concentrate on being the best video player they can be on iOS/tvOS. There's still room for improvement and a lot of features I'ld love to see implemented regarding playing video - especially on ATV.

A great music player is a new project on its own IMO and mixing the two is just adding more complexity to an app that strives towards being as simple as possible.

Synology DS216+ - ATV 4K - Denon AVR-X1100W (5.1) - Panasonic TX-P55VT60

February 6, 2016 - 9:52am
smett's picture
Beta Tester
Kudos: 12
  aarfing wrote:

Personally, I would prefer if they concentrate on being the best video player they can be on iOS/tvOS. There's still room for improvement and a lot of features I'ld love to see implemented regarding playing video - especially on ATV.

A great music player is a new project on its own IMO and mixing the two is just adding more complexity to an app that strives towards being as simple as possible.

Absolutely!

February 6, 2016 - 10:57am
PsheNik's picture
  smett wrote:

Plex.

Plex requires something like server to be installed, it's not quite convenient. But thanks.

February 6, 2016 - 10:59am
PsheNik's picture
  aarfing wrote:

I don't quite agree. This is a quite simple future to be added. And for "great" new project u can wait for ages...

February 6, 2016 - 11:18am
MillerKru's picture

Adding music to the app would make it more complexed? When you think about the app already playing MKV and MP4, to me adding something like MP3 or WAV play back should be quite simple. JMO

AppleTV4th Gen times 2, streaming from WD MyCloud 4100 PR series 32TB, Mac always off!

February 6, 2016 - 12:47pm
aarfing's picture
  PsheNik wrote:

Thanks, will try IMO, hope it's good!

You should try ROFLMAO too Tongue

krumz wrote:

Adding music to the app would make it more complexed? When you think about the app already playing MKV and MP4, to me adding something like MP3 or WAV play back should be quite simple. JMO

Yeah, it's not just about codecs and containers - although that in itself is a bit more comprehensive than just adding "mp3 and wav". You also need to support stuff like embedded metadata, gapless playback etc. and before you know it Infuse will have become a behemoth that does a lot of things in a mediocre way. I prefer a highly specialized video player with as few bugs as possible. But hey, that's just my preference - you're of course entitled to yours Smile

Synology DS216+ - ATV 4K - Denon AVR-X1100W (5.1) - Panasonic TX-P55VT60

February 7, 2016 - 1:21pm
MillerKru's picture
  aarfing wrote:

Yeah, it's not just about codecs and containers - although that in itself is a bit more comprehensive than just adding "mp3 and wav". You also need to support stuff like embedded metadata, gapless playback etc. and before you know it Infuse will have become a behemoth that does a lot of things in a mediocre way. I prefer a highly specialized video player with as few bugs as possible. But hey, that's just my preference - you're of course entitled to yours Smile

Well, to me it's already a great app, as the old saying goes "you can't make everybody happy" I love being able to stream my movies and TV shows with out having to have my mac on, depending on iTunes, I guess in a perfect world, music would be added to this list. I guess if push comes to shove, I will use clunky VLC, or just airplay it from my phone.

February 7, 2016 - 11:05pm
MortUK's picture

Does iTunes not do what you need to do.?

I stream straight from either my Mac or over AirPlay from my iPhone...

Do we really need infuse to do this as well.? I'm not sure what you need to do that isn't all ready offered by tvos.?

February 8, 2016 - 6:24am
MillerKru's picture
  MortUK wrote:

Does iTunes not do what you need to do.?

I stream straight from either my Mac or over AirPlay from my iPhone...

Do we really need infuse to do this as well.? I'm not sure what you need to do that isn't all ready offered by tvos.?

But I need my Mac on to use iTunes, I don't need my mac on to use infuse. To me that's the biggest draw back. Plus I don't like the way iTunes organizes my music. This is the only thing I miss about windows, media player kept my albums organized by artist, not by who was featured on it. Is there ways around this? Of course there is, but I shouldn't have to do it manually. Guess windows media player spoiled me. But my biggest issue with iTunes, is having to keep my mac on just to use it. I can stream my media with my cloud app, but the music and video needs to be in a certain format, not infuse, it takes care of all my needs. So supporting music is not a deal breaker, but it would be nice. JMO

February 8, 2016 - 6:47am
PsheNik's picture
  krumz wrote:

But I need my Mac on to use iTunes, I don't need my mac on to use infuse. To me that's the biggest draw back. Plus I don't like the way iTunes organizes my music. This is the only thing I miss about windows, media player kept my albums organized by artist, not by who was featured on it. Is there ways around this? Of course there is, but I shouldn't have to do it manually. Guess windows media player spoiled me. But my biggest issue with iTunes, is having to keep my mac on just to use it. I can stream my media with my cloud app, but the music and video needs to be in a certain format, not infuse, it takes care of all my needs. So supporting music is not a deal breaker, but it would be nice. JMO

+++

February 8, 2016 - 9:00am
MillerKru's picture
  MortUK wrote:

So where do you store your music that you would access with infuse if it's not on your Mac.? You Mac can be woken on lan only when it's needed and told to switch off automatically...

You can tell iTunes not to reorganise your music collection...

Personally I use google music.. It stores my music collection in the cloud and I can stream my whole collection wherever I am in the world to my iPhone.. When I'm at home it's to my Apple TV via AirPlay.. And it's free...

Mort..

I have never seen the option to tell iTunes not to organize my music. I store my music on my time capsule, and I have a copy of it on my network attached storage MY Cloud 4 EX 24TB. I can stream it with the my cloud app like I stated before and air play, but having infuse do it would be perfect. But not a deal breaker. So my NAS works as a cloud, just like your google music. And again, keeping my mac on, or having it wake just to play music is lame. JMO

February 8, 2016 - 9:26am
itimpi's picture
Kudos: 117

I store my music on a NAS, so I want the ability to play music without a PC (or Mac) switched on. We could do this with inFuse on the ATV2 by playing from SMB shares.

I believe that Firecore have said this item is on their roadmap for inFuse but have given no idea of an ETA. I would guess that until inFuse 4 is completely stable for video on both the iOS and TVOS versions then there is unlikely to be any movement in this area.

I AM A USER - NOT A FIRECORE EMPLOYEE

February 8, 2016 - 10:14am
MillerKru's picture
  itimpi wrote:

I store my music on a NAS, so I want the ability to play music without a PC (or Mac) switched on. We could do this with inFuse on the ATV2 by playing from SMB shares.

I believe that Firecore have said this item is on their roadmap for inFuse but have given no idea of an ETA. I would guess that until inFuse 4 is completely stable for video on both the iOS and TVOS versions then there is unlikely to be any movement in this area.

So, are you saying there is a setting on my NAS to enable SMB shares, and I wouldn't need to wait for firecore? Or is there a setting in infuse to do this? Please inlighten me.

February 8, 2016 - 10:50am
itimpi's picture
  krumz wrote:

So, are you saying there is a setting on my NAS to enable SMB shares, and I wouldn't need to wait for firecore? Or is there a setting in infuse to do this? Please inlighten me.

No - I am saying that the ability to play music off SMB shares (SMB/samba shares are a standard feature of most NAS sysems) was in inFuse for ATV2, and at some point will probably arrive in inFuse for TVOS (ATV4) although we have no ETA as yet.

One workaround I am using at the moment is to completely bypass Firecore and use the File Browser app running on an iPad to play music and then using AirPlay to send it to my ATV4 and thus to my home sound system. Although this works it is not as convenient as would be the case if it could be done directly through inFuse.

February 8, 2016 - 11:26am
PsheNik's picture
  itimpi wrote:

No - I am saying that the ability to play music off SMB shares (SMB/samba shares are a standard feature of most NAS sysems) was in inFuse for ATV2, and at some point will probably arrive in inFuse for TVOS (ATV4) although we have no ETA as yet.

One workaround I am using at the moment is to completely bypass Firecore and use the File Browser app running on an iPad to play music and then using AirPlay to send it to my ATV4 and thus to my home sound system. Although this works it is not as convenient as would be the case if it could be done directly through inFuse.

Thanks for this variant, will try it as u recommended!
Sounds nice)

February 8, 2016 - 1:41pm
DebbieFL's picture

Or, if you would rather not use Airplay, try NAStify or FileBrowser (directly) on the Apple TV. Both stream music from SMB share on NAS.

NAStify also can utilize UPnP from NAS to view by Album, Artist, etc.

February 8, 2016 - 2:30pm
mrfatboy's picture
Kudos: 13
  PsheNik wrote:

Thanks for this variant, will try it as u recommended!
Sounds nice)

You can also use the FileBrowserTV and Fileexplorer native apps on the atv4 to play music without Airplaying.

February 8, 2016 - 2:49pm
HowlingManiac's picture
Kudos: 1
  aarfing wrote:

Yeah, when I first started using Infuse I actually sent an email to Firecore asking why they don't support AIFF files. The more I think about it, though, the more I think that would be a mistake. I'd much rather have Infuse be a truly great video app than have it be another bloated jack-of-all-trades media player.

February 9, 2016 - 4:56am
itimpi's picture
  mrfatboy wrote:

You can also use the FileBrowserTV

Looked at the TVOS version of this. Not as good as the iOS version as when you go into a folder you have to select each track to play individually whereas the iOS version automatically selects all remaining tracks in the folder so that you only have to click on the first one to play all of them.

and Fileexplorer native apps on the atv4 to play music without Airplaying.

This seems to work quite well and clicking on the first rack in a folder plays all of the ones in the folder. One big advantage is that there is a free version (limited to a single server) so you can easily check it out to see if it does what you want.

February 11, 2016 - 2:11pm
MillerKru's picture
  itimpi wrote:

This seems to work quite well and clicking on the first rack in a folder plays all of the ones in the folder. One big advantage is that there is a free version (limited to a single server) so you can easily check it out to see if it does what you want.

Sure, can't argue with free. But file core has spoiled us. I am use to having my favorite folders right there when I open the app. With the file explorer app, you have to find the folder each time. But hey, you get what soupy for, and it still beats having to turn my Mac on just to play music on my ATV4

February 11, 2016 - 2:52pm
DebbieFL's picture

File Explorer allows designation of Starred (Favorite) folder, even in the free version. Navigate to the folder, long press (on that folder), highlight STAR, press enter.

At startup: Enter (for Starred), Enter (for Folder)...Voila

February 11, 2016 - 4:05pm
MillerKru's picture
  DebbieFL wrote:

File Explorer allows designation of Starred (Favorite) folder, even in the free version. Navigate to the folder, long press (on that folder), highlight STAR, press enter.

At startup: Enter (for Starred), Enter (for Folder)...Voila

Thanks for the tip.

February 12, 2016 - 4:21pm
PsheNik's picture
  itimpi wrote:

Looked at the TVOS version of this. Not as good as the iOS version as when you go into a folder you have to select each track to play individually whereas the iOS version automatically selects all remaining tracks in the folder so that you only have to click on the first one to play all of them.

Are u sure about it?
Cause I want to buy FileBrowser, as they say it's better than FileExplorer for iPad. So I want to use the the same on ATV.
But if it's true FileBrowser is useless on ATV for me and I'd rather use FileExplorer.
Can't decide!

February 12, 2016 - 4:23pm
PsheNik's picture

And does FileBrowser or FileExplorer have cross-buy feature iPad-ATV as InFuse does?
Anyone knows?

February 12, 2016 - 4:32pm
DebbieFL's picture
  PsheNik wrote:

And does FileBrowser or FileExplorer have cross-buy feature iPad-ATV as InFuse does?
Anyone knows?

I had FB & FE on iPad. Neither showed up as a cross purchased app when I got ATV. Had to buy FB again Frown