25 posts / 0 new / Last post
#1  March 16, 2016 - 1:11am
sh2sg's picture
Beta Tester
Kudos: 5

Infuse pro 4.0.3

I like "sort by date" so I will know which movies are recently added as they appear on top.

Unfortunately I noticed if I have folders that contain some movie folders, those folders are always on top of everything...

For example I have

Collection 1
  -- Movie 1
    -- Movie 1.mkv
  -- Movie 2
    -- Movie 2.mkv
  -- Movie 3
    -- Movie 3.mkv

Movie 4
  -- Movie 4.mkv

Movie 5
  -- Movie 5.mkv

Movie 5 is added last, so it is supposed to be the first one. I was expecting something like

Movie 5, Collection 1, Movie 4

But what I saw it,

Collection 1, Movie 5, Movie 4

Looks like "sort by date" needs to mix file and folder?

Any workaround?

Thanks

March 21, 2016 - 3:10am
shirosaki's picture
Kudos: 0

Hi

I have the same issue since i have put all my movie in my new NAS (Syno 215j).

Any solution ?

Thanks a lot
++

March 21, 2016 - 4:03am
shirosaki's picture

Issue solved for me.
I was in Upnp. You just have to switch in SMB and everything should be all right.

++

March 21, 2016 - 4:07am
sh2sg's picture
Beta Tester
  shirosaki wrote:

Issue solved for me.
I was in Upnp. You just have to switch in SMB and everything should be all right.

++

I am connecting via SMB...

March 28, 2016 - 9:05pm
sh2sg's picture
Beta Tester

Any workaround? Seriously, when more movies are grouped into various folder collections, sort by date has lost its meaning because folders are always on top...

April 15, 2016 - 3:40am
sh2sg's picture
Beta Tester

Any hope? Really want to mix sort folders & movies...

BTW, can you add Sort by Release Date option?

April 24, 2016 - 4:34am
nrkeone's picture

I have tried upnp, smb and currently on FTP, still the same problem. folders always sit on top! must be code related

April 26, 2016 - 8:18am
Pmehlin's picture

Well, I have a kind of workaround until they fix this. I also sort by date and found the same thing as you, that folders came up on top. I tried putting all files in folders, but it seems like Infuse treats a single file in a folder as a single file and puts them at the end of the list.
What I did was that in a folder with a single file I created a "dummy" .txt-file. I then renamed it dymmy.mp4, or dummy.mkv depending of what file type the movie file was.
That did the trick. It is not an optimal solution, but it is what I have done until they fix the sorting issue.

April 27, 2016 - 1:03pm
james's picture
Staff
Kudos: 1,281

This is done by design, though a number of more flexible browsing options will be available in the upcoming 4.2 update.

Infuse 6 for iOS and Apple TV is now available!

May 20, 2016 - 9:08am
sh2sg's picture
Beta Tester
  james wrote:

This is done by design, though a number of more flexible browsing options will be available in the upcoming 4.2 update.

nothing has been improved in v4.2, still can't mix sorting folders/movies.
i am not a big fan of 'Library View'.

October 8, 2016 - 8:51am
tomsalinsky's picture
  Pmehlin wrote:

Well, I have a kind of workaround until they fix this. I also sort by date and found the same thing as you, that folders came up on top. I tried putting all files in folders, but it seems like Infuse treats a single file in a folder as a single file and puts them at the end of the list.
What I did was that in a folder with a single file I created a "dummy" .txt-file. I then renamed it dymmy.mp4, or dummy.mkv depending of what file type the movie file was.
That did the trick. It is not an optimal solution, but it is what I have done until they fix the sorting issue.

I've just tried this, and it sorted out the ordering, but Infuse has retrieved artwork and meta data for a film called "Dummy" which is distracting. Is there any way of telling Infuse NOT to retrieve meta data for a specific file?

Cheers

Tom

November 24, 2016 - 8:09pm
sh2sg's picture
Beta Tester

Bump up. Can you add a global option or per Favorite setting, to allow to sort by mixing folders and files?

November 25, 2016 - 12:38am
ags-for-infuse's picture

There is the feature of Infuse. As to me I can't understand this idea at all. I have the same problem but when I tried to sort my collection alphabetically in Poster View screen. I tried to write to support and James proposed to use List View. But it is inconvenient for me and, what is more important for today, for my child. I see only one solution of this problem - make something like TV Shows with only one season - if you put all episodes of tv show with only one season in folder "ShowName", you will receive Poster with label "Season 1" in Poster View. If you want to see name of the show under its poster, you have to put all episodes into folder "Episodes" or "Season 1" which would be into the "ShowName" folder. Something like this:

ShowName
-- folder.jpg
-- Season 1 (or Episodes, or XXX - it doesn't matter what is the name of this folder)
--- showname.s01e01.mkv
--- showname.s01e02.mkv
--- etc.

So, the solution might be in the same idea for movies too... Something like this:

Movie 1
-- folder.jpg
-- Movie (or something else)
--- movie 1.mkv

Unfortunately, I haven't tried yet this idea. I'm going to try it on weekend may be. If it works I will thing on simple AppleScript which should going down on collection, find movies, make subfolders, move movies into subfolders and print list of these movies (to find artworks for there folders after moving in the future) and make vice verse operation (it's for case if anytime James and team realize mix sorting between movies and tv shows). It takes time in any case for me (i'm not professional programmer:-)) that is why I haven't realize it yet. But I think it should work.

November 28, 2016 - 5:43am
umzyi's picture
Beta Tester
Kudos: 3

I have sent many tickets regarding this and was told that this would be fixed. However, with the introduction of version 5, I can confirm that this has still not been fixed. I have emailed the support to follow up, and regrettably no one wants to answer the support tickets. I have also sent messages to James and he is mute on this. All i can say that this is very bad support system, who dont even bother answering the users/customers.

I have however, found a workaround which is although annoying but yet works: just create a "new empty folder" in the folder of those movies which has only one file. See the attached screenshot. Now change the sorting option to filenames. This shows all the movies in sort order a-z.

I hope we can get some proper work around from the developer or alteast an added option to show the folders like this.

Thanks

Attachments: 
  November 28, 2016 - 6:38am
ags-for-infuse's picture
  umzyi wrote:

I have however, found a workaround which is although annoying but yet works: just create a "new empty folder" in the folder of those movies which has only one file. See the attached screenshot. Now change the sorting option to filenames. This shows all the movies in sort order a-z.
Thanks

Thanks a lot! Your solution looks simpler and faster in realization!

October 14, 2017 - 4:44pm
umzyi's picture
Beta Tester

Even after a year or so, we do not have a way to sort movies in a true A-Z sorr order Frown

April 21, 2019 - 10:49pm
sh2sg's picture
Beta Tester

3 years passed...not even in the upcoming features list... not doable? or infuse team has no interest on it?

January 2, 2020 - 2:39pm
james's picture
Staff
Kudos: 1,281

This has been partially addressed for the upcoming 6.2.5 release.

Infuse will now treat files and folders equally with the 'sort by filename' option enabled.

Grouping of folders at the top will still be present for other sort options.

Infuse 6 for iOS and Apple TV is now available!

January 2, 2020 - 2:40pm
umzyi's picture
Beta Tester
  james wrote:

Infuse will now treat files and folders equally with the 'sort by filename' option enabled.

Wonderful news - thanks james

January 5, 2020 - 3:39am
sh2sg's picture
Beta Tester
  james wrote:

Thank you, can it be applied to other sort options too? I believe 'sort by date' is used more popular.

January 7, 2020 - 6:55pm
georgi's picture

If you're going to make a change like that at least give people the option to exclude folder names from being mixed in. Not everyone mixes folders and files as watchable content and some of us like it separated as it was.

January 7, 2020 - 7:27pm
NC Bullseye's picture
Kudos: 419
  georgi wrote:

If you're going to make a change like that at least give people the option to exclude folder names from being mixed in. Not everyone mixes folders and files as watchable content and some of us like it separated as it was.

If you go to Infuse Settings > Sort Order and select "Title" it will be back to folders on top.

•Just Another Infuse User• •Not An Employee Of Firecore• •Certified Curmudgeon•

January 7, 2020 - 8:14pm
georgi's picture
  NC Bullseye wrote:

If you go to Infuse Settings > Sort Order and select "Title" it will be back to folders on top.

That mode isn't good when some videos cannot be identified.

January 8, 2020 - 12:03am
iSchnatz's picture

For me the Update is really bad! I liked the sort options as it was before. I loved the "sort by filename" because it listed the folders first and then all the movies sorted from A to Z. Now everything is mixed (why?). The folders are my collections and no, I don't want my collections only in library mode.
When I now sort this by title, a lot of movies are not sorted from A to Z anymore. For example "the accountant" is now sorted as A for accountant and not T for the accountant. This is so annoying and makes no sense for me.

So James, pls give us an option that everybody is sorted like before! From A to Z and album/collections/folders first. Now my library is completely mixed and I don't like it. You mix peoples sorting over years in a minute with this update. Fix this pls..every update is really good but this one makes me really angry. You have to give the people options as before and not mix this with a new update without giving us the chance to decide what we like..

Thnx a lot

February 22, 2020 - 8:41am
ftomi's picture

I completely agree with iSchnatz ... please do change back the listing method to the previous one when it comes to “File name” based sorting. Mixing folder and file names now is a COMPLETE mess! If you would like keep this “new feature” of yours, fine ... but at the very least we should have a “keep/list folder le first” option to tick. Windows, MacOS, younameit, all op systems support this feature this way. Why you broke things like this I don’t even follow nor understand...