277 posts / 0 new / Last post
  September 27, 2017 - 7:12pm
Bevanpfc's picture
Beta Tester
Kudos: 2

You’re probably get a faster response via twitter, the last time I asked they said they were looking into it.

September 29, 2017 - 1:44pm
jamesv.61036's picture
Kudos: 1

Count me as someone interested in this!

October 1, 2017 - 2:29am
alan121's picture
Kudos: 0

Count me in please!

October 1, 2017 - 6:46am
mc2's picture
Beta Tester
mc2
Kudos: 9

Making Infuse the Plex client Plex Media Player for Apple TV should have been is a great propsal. I can‘t agree more.

Infuse‘s metadata handling is rather incomplete, on the other hand it‘s playback capabilities are far better than the ones of Plex Media Player for Apple TV.

To be honest, I don‘t like those automated metadata fetching functions whether it is Plex or Infuse. Those functions only work 90% of the time and produce more problems and work in the long run for large movie collections than what they should avoid.

My regular process when transferring a newly bought bluray to my server is to also encode two m4v-versions of the mkv-rip at different resolutions and quality levels and embed metadata and bluray cover with Subler for macOS. If you set the metadata correctly you can easily handle multiple versions of the same movie (tag contentID), control display order for collections (tag SortName), etc. Storing three versions of a movie guarantees they all run well on all sort of devices: from high quality on the large screen to watchable on your phone.

The two m4v-files are fully iTunes- and Plex-compatible. iTunes for example can read a directory structure with 1000+ movies in just a minute or so. macOS and Windows will also display the movie cover in Finder or Explorer which is nice and when you move a file, all metadata will move as well.

Unfortunately I didn‘t find a way yet to embed the same metadata in the mkv-file. There is no tool for macOS afaik. Fortunately when using Plex, Plex simply takes the embedded metadata from the m4v-files and uses them for the mkv-file as well, as long as all three files are in the same single directory.

So, after setting up all movie and tv-show files on the server with proper metadata, Infuse would be the best Apple TV client to display and playback a movie collection, if it could connect to a Plex server.

Late 2014 Mac Mini, macOS, Plex Server, OpenPHT, Plex Media Player, AppleTV 4k, Infuse Pro, Sony KD-65X9005B

October 5, 2017 - 6:00pm
thimplicity's picture

Does pending in front of the thread now mean it is being worked on?

October 5, 2017 - 6:30pm
Bevanpfc's picture
Beta Tester
  thimplicity wrote:

Does pending in front of the thread now mean it is being worked on?

I hope so !

October 6, 2017 - 12:09pm
warren2015's picture

I really hope Infuse and Plex can work together and produce magic. I would be willing to pay extra for it too!

October 7, 2017 - 11:55am
thrasher's picture
Beta Tester
Kudos: 11

+1 for me too. Hopefully handle it better than MrMC though as that’s a sloppy integration (not sure if Plex’s fault or MrMC)...

NFS via a 36TB unRAID 6.4 Server
Apple TV 4K, iPhone 7+, iPad Air
2900+ movies, 8500+ tv episodes

October 12, 2017 - 4:39pm
warren2015's picture

I agree. Mrmc is ok but it’s not as smooth as Kodi.

October 20, 2017 - 5:01pm
warren2015's picture

Guys. Do you have an eta for this please?

October 23, 2017 - 9:44am
ersan's picture

If this ever does end up happening you would get a slew of tvOS users switching from the Plex official client - there are a lot of people not happy with the current state of Plex on Apple TV

IMO this is the fastest and easiest way to significantly increase your sales.

October 29, 2017 - 7:45pm
Sketchthis31's picture
Beta Tester
Kudos: 20

Hi, I’ve had infuse for a while but always stuck with the Plex app due to its ease and metadata etc. But for two years I have had to deal with errors, terrible playback and zero responses from the Plex team. I now look to infuse to do what Plex never could.. actually play my media. If infuse could be used as a direct Plex client this would be the perfect solution! Is this something that is being worked on? Thanks very much

October 29, 2017 - 8:14pm
thrasher's picture
Beta Tester
  Sketchthis31 wrote:

Hi, I’ve had infuse for a while but always stuck with the Plex app due to its ease and metadata etc. But for two years I have had to deal with errors, terrible playback and zero responses from the Plex team. I now look to infuse to do what Plex never could.. actually play my media. If infuse could be used as a direct Plex client this would be the perfect solution! Is this something that is being worked on? Thanks very much

How far along I do not know but the team has stated they are looking in to this (which I can’t wait for). I am just like yourself, although I have switched to using Infuse via NFS for the time being on my TVs with Apple TVs attached. This was about a month ago from the staff:

“Multi-user accounts and native Plex support is on our radar to look into for an upcoming version, but unfortunately we don't have an ETA just yet.”

October 30, 2017 - 9:30am
Bevanpfc's picture
Beta Tester

Looks like the “pending” status has been removed, I had hopes for a 2017 plex integration update, little bit less hopeful now.

October 30, 2017 - 10:40am
Sketchthis31's picture
Beta Tester

That sucks. I was really hoping this solution was real close. I really hope we can get some clarity over this issue. Would be a huge business boost for Infuse as me and so many others are tired of the Plex app

November 1, 2017 - 6:25am
Torsten85's picture
Beta Tester
Kudos: 4

would be great if the one who removed the pending status could also briefly explain what's going on

November 1, 2017 - 6:49am
Sketchthis31's picture
Beta Tester

I agree completely

November 1, 2017 - 8:34pm
FranknStein7's picture
Beta Tester
Kudos: 22

This would be amazing and provide a near perfect server/client solution. I'm using Plex in Infuse via DLNA right now with trakt to keep watched status in sync. This works great but tighter integration would be awesome, a la PlexKodiConnect for Kodi. My major problem with DLNA is it doesn't keep my Plex metadata and posters/backgrounds in sync.

November 4, 2017 - 11:51am
Sketchthis31's picture
Beta Tester

Yes the integration is pretty weak. Having to download all the metadata etc when we already have it with Plex seems like an extra long step. Also every time I watch something on infause it messes with my Plex saying I’ve watched whole series and films and half way also. This is seriously annoying. If we could just connect directly to Plex so we don’t have to scan for changes which fails quite often too

November 4, 2017 - 4:02pm
shakes's picture

I really like Infuse 5, and I upgraded to pro even though I'm mostly a Plex user just to support this app. +1 for making Infuse able to function as a Plex client. I don't think I'd ever touch the Plex app on my Apple TV 4K again if this happened.

November 4, 2017 - 4:59pm
ersan's picture
  FranknStein7 wrote:

This would be amazing and provide a near perfect server/client solution. I'm using Plex in Infuse via DLNA right now with trakt to keep watched status in sync. This works great but tighter integration would be awesome, a la PlexKodiConnect for Kodi. My major problem with DLNA is it doesn't keep my Plex metadata and posters/backgrounds in sync.

Plus there are a lot of Plex users out there like me who have a gigantic media library which have several gigabytes of metadata and artwork, I doubt Infuse is going to handle that particularly well. Especially with the data store getting deleted automatically. Proper Plex support is a must, I won’t even attempt using Plex with Infuse in its current state.

November 4, 2017 - 5:16pm
Bevanpfc's picture
Beta Tester

I’ve tried using plex via dlna and it’s terribly slow for me as all my servers are shared to me by my friends, it’s too slow to stream anything successfully.
If mrmc can add this surely the infuse team can.

November 6, 2017 - 3:45pm
Sketchthis31's picture
Beta Tester

This thread was pending so it would be nice to get some clarity on whether this is in the works or not? It would help so many people and increase the amount of users for Infuse also. Just a simple response so we know whether this is on their to do list or if this isn’t in the pipe line any time soon

November 7, 2017 - 11:30pm
hwf's picture
Beta Tester
hwf

For me too.
I would like to have a plex client integrated.
Taking care on only one big database is much better than having one on every device.

November 10, 2017 - 5:07am
steve.waite's picture
Beta Tester
Kudos: 17

Happy anniversary, one year ago I requested this feature and hoped it would have been implemented by now. I don’t think it is going to come anytime soon with all the new features and support they are working on now.

November 10, 2017 - 5:51am
Bevanpfc's picture
Beta Tester

Happy Anniversary !
Yeah it’s a real shame that this hasn’t been implemented yet, the developers comments “on our radar” “future update” etc etc are becoming tiresome.
But don’t get me wrong, he’s made a fantastic app and at least takes the time to reply on the blog and twitter, just wish he was a little bit more vocal on this thread... !

November 10, 2017 - 5:20pm
Sketchthis31's picture
Beta Tester

Any form of communication would be nice. There was a post from a year ago saying they’d review this for an upcoming version? How has this still not been implemented? It’s a great app but unfortunately the Plex intergration is rather poor and slow, if this could connect directly to Plex it would be the perfect app!

November 22, 2017 - 8:25am
Hoosier317's picture
Beta Tester
Kudos: 12

This would be absolute perfection.

November 22, 2017 - 9:15am
thrasher's picture
Beta Tester

from a user on the Plex forum:
@elan would Plex be willing to license the InFuse player technology perhaps? There are plenty of guys asking in InFuse blog posts whether or not they would be willing to use PlexMediaServer as a plugin to play data, meaning people would use InFuse to connect directly to Plex... InFuse guys are responding positively every time...

Elan (CEO of Plex) response:
I'd be lying if I said I hadn't thought about that before, but of course the devil's in the details. Since we're also on Android, a shared solution between the two would of course be more attractive too. We've definitely talked over a few different scenarios internally, so clearly we're interested in improving the player stacks to where they Direct Play more, and do so better.

Come on y'all, make it happen either you guys becoming a client for Plex or licensing your video player for Plex!!! Smile

Source:
https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/288954/reall...

November 23, 2017 - 10:24am
fsl2017's picture
Beta Tester

I think from an egoistic infuse perspective a solution where infuse just uses the file patches for playing everything and on top makes use of the meta of the plex server the problem is solved ... a comparable third party plex client is e.g. my beloved DPC plugin on the Dune players, which does exactly this. Hopefully this will become true soon.