43 posts / 0 new / Last post
#1  November 21, 2016 - 12:21pm
GadgetComa's picture
Beta Tester
Kudos: 0

If I understand correctly, Infuse 5 is not a free upgrade. Is that correct? (I'm not complaining. I just want to make sure I don't buy it incorrectly. ;).

Assuming I'm right on the above point, I have a question about the $6.99 annual fee. Does this cover all future upgrades (e.g., 5->6, 6->7, etc)? If so, I think that's a good route to go - especially if the features added in each major version continue like they have in the past.

Thanks!

• Leon
  November 21, 2016 - 12:27pm
blackbird's picture
Beta Tester
Kudos: 5

I was about to post the same question.

November 21, 2016 - 12:32pm
itimpi's picture
Kudos: 111

I am not sure it is that simple! I am not even sure that it is meant to be a paid upgrade.

On the iPad version the App Store v5 free version makes no mention of the in-app purchase, and if you install it asks for a £6.49 annual fee to upgrade to Pro. On the other hand if you install the Pro version directly it says it is £9.99 with no annual fee.

All-in-all things seem a bit confusing, so I think we need an official statement from FireCore. Unfortunately this is one area that does not get exercised during beta testing so there could be a software error, or it could be something with the way FireCore have set up the App Store settings for inFuse.

I AM A USER - NOT A FIRECORE EMPLOYEE

November 21, 2016 - 1:53pm
timstephens24's picture
Beta Tester
Kudos: 118

Check out the blog:

https://firecore.com/blog

Apple TV 4K --> Denon X6500H 7.1.4 --> LG OLED65C6P
======== SYNOLOGY DS1815+ DS513 ========
iPhone XS Max ||| iPad Pro 10.5

November 21, 2016 - 1:55pm
GadgetComa's picture
Beta Tester

The blog doesn't specifically state that it's a paid upgrade and doesn't answer my question about what upgrades are included in the $6.99 annual fee.

November 21, 2016 - 2:09pm
james's picture
Staff
Kudos: 1,080

Sorry for the confusion.

Infuse 5 is a paid upgrade, and if you choose the $6.99 in-app option this will cover ALL future updates (v6, v7, etc...).

Infuse 6 for iOS and Apple TV is now available!

November 21, 2016 - 2:17pm
GadgetComa's picture
Beta Tester

Thanks, James. Time to buy the upgrade!

November 21, 2016 - 2:39pm
Skinch's picture
  james wrote:

Sorry for the confusion.

Infuse 5 is a paid upgrade, and if you choose the $6.99 in-app option this will cover ALL future updates (v6, v7, etc...).

And if I bought a pro version , will i have to pay for v6 or v7 ?

November 21, 2016 - 2:44pm
james's picture
Staff
Kudos: 1,080
  Skinch wrote:

And if I bought a pro version , will i have to pay for v6 or v7 ?

Correct. If you choose to purchase the paid Pro app, it would be safe to assume you would need to purchase Infuse Pro to update to v6...whenever that may be. This is historically how software updates work, though we have been rather generous with updates in the past.

Infuse 6 for iOS and Apple TV is now available!

November 21, 2016 - 3:29pm
nutmac's picture
  james wrote:

Correct. If you choose to purchase the paid Pro app, it would be safe to assume you would need to purchase Infuse Pro to update to v6...whenever that may be. This is historically how software updates work, though we have been rather generous with updates in the past.

Historically:

Infuse Pro 3: October 21, 2014
Infuse Pro 4: February 12, 2016
Infuse Pro 5: November 21, 2016

Since 4.0 was a free upgrade, I think expecting 5.x to receive free upgrade for minimum of 2 years is reasonable, particularly since $12.99 for Pro is almost the same as 2-years of $6.99 Pro In-App Purchase subscription. Ideally it should be much more than 2 years. Any ETA?

But that begs the question. Can we expect gradual price decrease of Pro 5 pricing?

If you ask me, I would've much prefer a single version with subscription model. While I understand offering a choice, and some folks really hate subscription pricing even if it offers superior value, having two versions seems rather confusing.

November 21, 2016 - 4:10pm
vicsha's picture

Infuse is the best player for IOS but it is really disappointing that I bought it less than 2 months ago and I need to pay again the same amount with -no upgrade discount-. And the version 5 is 10£ (around 13$), not really cheap!. I think I will keep for now the old version. You never know if in two months they will ask me again the same amount. I would expect more care for their users.

Apart of that there is no way to transfer my old library to the new version and the transition is far from seamless, specially with the bookmarks of videos in progress.

November 21, 2016 - 4:25pm
nutmac's picture
  vicsha wrote:

And the version 5 is 10£ (around 13$), not really cheap!. I think I will keep for now the old version. You never know if in two months they will ask me again the same amount. I would expect more care for their users.

Apart of that there is no way to transfer my old library to the new version and the transition is far from seamless, specially with the bookmarks of videos in progress.

Lack of migration path from 4.x, lack of Tweetbot style bundle upgrade pricing, and expensive IAP subscription pricing strike me as rather hostile moves for existing user base.

Don't get me wrong. 5.0 seems like a pretty good upgrade, particularly cloud stuff, and we've been getting free updates for awhile.

But I am not sure if 5.0 is worth recurring $6.99/year, especially since the library view hasn't changed at all (at least as far as I can't tell). Too bad. I feel a bit guilty that I am not supporting the developer this time around with some sort of payment. But $6.99/year or $12.99 one time for uncertain lifetime of the product do not appeal to me one bit, especially since I paid for 4.x few months ago.

What I would've liked to see: a single yearly subscription for pro features at more reasonable $4.99/year, with first year free for existing 4.x pro users.

November 21, 2016 - 5:09pm
pmcd's picture
  james wrote:

Sorry for the confusion.

So this will be the yearly fee no matter the version? On the other hand the pro version is twice the price with no yearly fee, and no upgrade pricing, but you pay for major updates? In either case, the functionality will be the same?

November 21, 2016 - 5:09pm
Thmbo's picture
Kudos: 1
  vicsha wrote:

Infuse is the best player for IOS but it is really disappointing that I bought it less than 2 months ago and I need to pay again the same amount with -no upgrade discount-. And the version 5 is 10£ (around 13$), not really cheap!. I think I will keep for now the old version. You never know if in two months they will ask me again the same amount. I would expect more care for their users.

I am in the same situation, I bought 4.3 two months ago, now I have pay again, thought (and asked on this forum) that multitasking will be simply an update, and now this. I understand that it's not possible to develop software with free upgrade for every generation, but you should consider different approach. Maybe info that some features will be in infuse 5? BTW I asked about pip in 4.3 on the forum last month. Didn't get any info. Now I have to pay once again to get this. It's not honest.

rgds

November 21, 2016 - 5:14pm
vicsha's picture

I think that would make sense at least a discount for recent buyers. No way I will pay the double for two months too early. As I said no doubt this is the best player of IOS but no really the best treating costumers.

November 21, 2016 - 9:32pm
Clever's picture

I bought Infuse 4 last week for $14.99 Canadian. I'm pretty bummed about being told to pay $17.99 to upgrade to 5. Will version 4 still get updates and support?

I contacted the company and asked if they going to provide some sort of discounted upgrade pricing and was told no. At last they could do is give me the upgrade free. Like I said it's been like 4 days.

November 21, 2016 - 10:28pm
kazuni's picture

So in essence,

For all future updates, opt for the $6.99/yr option.
For Just v5, opt for the $12.99 option.
There is no v4 to v5 upgrade discount and it's not for free.

November 21, 2016 - 11:49pm
WimbledonEd's picture
Kudos: 2

It's cheaper than buying ONE new release HD movie from iTunes.

These things even themselves out. I'm sure you catch my drift.

November 22, 2016 - 12:23am
id_agnostic's picture

I've paid 10 euros less than month ago. I find it unfair that I'll have to spend another 12 euros for the new version. At least offer some discount for the existing customers who haven't benefited from free upgrades yet. If I understand correctly, your pricing includes some sort of Dolby consumer license and I don't understand why the existing users should pay for it again?

November 22, 2016 - 4:20am
bondi73's picture

Whaaat.... I'm totally disappointed. Just bought the IPhone and the IPad Pro Version and now I should pay again if I like to have the improved Version of infuse. Hey guys, as much you Software was really promissing for me I guess I need to change to someone else with not that horrible price politics.

November 22, 2016 - 6:21am
vicsha's picture

I would suggest to send your critics also to the reviews of iTunes as they will be less likely to be ignored.
Even I understand the need for the author to get money with this high quality app, he simply need to buy an app and see that he needs to pay it again two months later for upgrades. What he would think?

November 22, 2016 - 6:38am
Seafox's picture

I'm also very dissapointed. I only just purchased V4.3 Pro a few weeks ago, and Firecore doesn't offer me any kind of discount on the new version. No way I will pay again to upgrade to V5. 😡

November 22, 2016 - 7:43am
JeePee's picture

I see also that the update for Infuse 5 is not free after i purchased the Infuse4 Pro for my iPad iPhone and Apple TV4 ?
Is it possible to downgrade to Pro 4 ? I do not upgrade my iPad and ATV4 so i can stay use the Pro4

This is not the wat to do it , if the update means to pay again i go back to Plex where you pay one time for use of it.

Really dissapointent about the way you do this.

November 22, 2016 - 9:43am
Nomad's picture
Kudos: 6

Not everyone is aware if this but... APPLE DOES ALLOW REFUNDS FOR ITUNES/APPSTORE PURCHASES.

http://reportaproblem.apple.com/

So if you recently purchased Infuse Pro 4 (in the last 90 days) and meant to get Infuse Pro 5 instead, then you can apply for a refund direct from the Apple website (this is the only way, FireCore cannot help you with billing issues or refunds). DO IT FAST. Your chances of success will be higher the sooner you apply. I've had no problems claiming refunds up to 7 days after initial purchase, after 14 days I think your chances are very low. When you're asked to select a reason for wanting a refund just remember that companies like money... they are usually happier to comply if they know you intend to buy something else from them instead, so choose something along the lines of "I meant to buy a different app".

APPLE DOES NOT LET FIRECORE (NOR ANY DEVELOPER) OFFER DISCOUNTS AND UPGRADE PRICING. Direct your hate on this subject to Apple, because they make it very difficult for all developers, including FireCore, to do the right thing by their users. If you've been stung by recently purchasing Pro 4 then try the refund method mentioned above, because it does work. Just don't abuse it.

If like me you've owned Pro 4 for some time and feel let down because you'd waited and wished for them to deliver the ability to search your library... wished and waited right up until receiving an email that Pro 4 is defunct and 5 is out, then join the club Smile I left my comment in the tvOS category by accident, but there it is. I hope more people repeat what I said. https://firecore.com/comment/69931#comment-69931

November 22, 2016 - 10:07am
FotoModel's picture

ah to late, to get back my money for infuse 4 pro... This purchase is not eligible for a refund.

November 22, 2016 - 10:31am
vicsha's picture
  Nomad wrote:

Not everyone is aware if this but... APPLE DOES ALLOW REFUNDS FOR ITUNES/APPSTORE PURCHASES.

APPLE DOES NOT LET FIRECORE (NOR ANY DEVELOPER) OFFER DISCOUNTS AND UPGRADE PRICING. Direct your hate on this subject to Apple, because they make it very difficult for all developers, including FireCore, to do the right thing by their users. If you've been stung by recently purchasing Pro 4 then try the refund method mentioned above, because it does work. Just don't abuse it.

What about telling the users that a new version is coming in a couple of weeks and they won't be able to upgrade? At least that would be a sign of good will and not simply some kind of trick to trap users in an older version.

November 22, 2016 - 10:51am
Thmbo's picture

I've made refund procedure, and I have confirmation that it's ok... so soon I will have my money back.
Everything took me some seconds since pressing send within the refund form - refund confirmation arrived almost at once.
My first refund in apple stre:)

So, let's troll a little: nplayer or what?

rgds

November 22, 2016 - 11:31am
vicsha's picture

The refund didn't work for me....
Nplayer seems half of price and similar features. But what I really would like is to upgrade the player without going to the chore of copying again all videos and settings the points where I stopped watching them.
Also I can not really go to a subscription model. I never would remember that my card will be charged again one year away and this is a source of problems, I could be paying the subscription for ages even I don't use it.
Also the no subscription version was 7£ before and now 10£

November 22, 2016 - 11:45am
Seafox's picture

I purchased version 4 five weeks ago and I am no longer eligible for a refund. 😡

November 22, 2016 - 11:57am
vicsha's picture
  Thmbo wrote:

I've made refund procedure, and I have confirmation that it's ok... so soon I will have my money back.
Everything took me some seconds since pressing send within the refund form - refund confirmation arrived almost at once.
My first refund in apple stre:)

So, let's troll a little: nplayer or what?

You said before you bought it 2 months ago. How you was able to do it? I did it also two months ago and it is refused instantly.

November 22, 2016 - 12:20pm
Troysc's picture
  Nomad wrote:

http://reportaproblem.apple.com/

So if you recently purchased Infuse Pro 4 (in the last 90 days) and meant to get Infuse Pro 5 instead, then you can apply for a refund direct from the Apple website (this is the only way, FireCore cannot help you with billing issues or refunds). DO IT FAST. Your chances of success will be higher the sooner you apply. I've had no problems claiming refunds up to 7 days after initial purchase, after 14 days I think your chances are very low. When you're asked to select a reason for wanting a refund just remember that companies like money... they are usually happier to comply if they know you intend to buy something else from them instead, so choose something along the lines of "I meant to buy a different app".

If like me you've owned Pro 4 for some time and feel let down because you'd waited and wished for them to deliver the ability to search your library... wished and waited right up until receiving an email that Pro 4 is defunct and 5 is out, then join the club Smile I left my comment in the tvOS category by accident, but there it is. I hope more people repeat what I said. https://firecore.com/comment/69931#comment-69931

THIS. Needs more highlighting. I love you man, thank you very much! Just got my 9,99€ for infuse 4 back and now I can happily use Infuse 5 Smile