24 posts / 0 new / Last post
#1  January 8, 2017 - 11:43am
albinousrex's picture
Kudos: 0

Hi,

Can someone confirm where Infuse pulls metadata (posters/art, etc) from? I thought it was theTVdb.com but I am seeing a show on the website and it does nto show up when I search for it when trying to amend meta data in the Infuse app.

Additionally, is there a way to search the forums? I didn't see a search function but may have completely missed it.

Thanks!

January 8, 2017 - 2:51pm
james's picture
Staff
Kudos: 1,203

Infuse currently pulls movie info from https://www.themoviedb.org and TV info from http://thetvdb.com

One thing to note for TV shows, is you'll need to use one of our supported naming styles. A list of these can be found here. https://support.firecore.com/hc/en-us/articles...

Infuse 6 for iOS and Apple TV is now available!

January 8, 2017 - 2:56pm
byronp.8958's picture

I also use a cheap program called MetaX that embeds that metadata in the file

January 8, 2017 - 3:01pm
albinousrex's picture
  james wrote:

Infuse currently pulls movie info from https://www.themoviedb.org and TV info from http://thetvdb.com

One thing to note for TV shows, is you'll need to use one of our supported naming styles. A list of these can be found here. https://support.firecore.com/hc/en-us/articles...

Thanks James! On that note, I figured out that one of my shows (All-Star Academy) did not show in the search until I typed the full thing out entirely. The other one I am seeing on thetvdb.com but it is not showing up in the manual metadata search.

Although I am following the naming schemes you mentioned for most files, that is more for auto matching metadata correct? For manually updating metadata, it shouldn't matter how it is named right? Or does it still matter? For example, I am trying to match a file to the NY friars club roasts (http://thetvdb.com/?tab=series&id=82896&lid=7). I am in other videos and hold down the middle button and select edit meta data. Then I tried searching for The N.Y. Friars Club Roasts in its entirety in the search bar and it says no results within Infuse. Do you have any advice here?

January 8, 2017 - 3:08pm
james's picture
Staff
  albinousrex wrote:

Thanks James! On that note, I figured out that one of my shows (All-Star Academy) did not show in the search until I typed the full thing out entirely. The other one I am seeing on thetvdb.com but it is not showing up in the manual metadata search.

Although I am following the naming schemes you mentioned for most files, that is more for auto matching metadata correct? For manually updating metadata, it shouldn't matter how it is named right? Or does it still matter? For example, I am trying to match a file to the NY friars club roasts (http://thetvdb.com/?tab=series&id=82896&lid=7). I am in other videos and hold down the middle button and select edit meta data. Then I tried searching for The N.Y. Friars Club Roasts in its entirety in the search bar and it says no results within Infuse. Do you have any advice here?

You would still need to follow the season/episode naming style, since that is what Infuse uses to determine if a video is a movie or TV show. In essence, if Infuse determines your video is a TV show it will search the TheTVDb. For everything else, it will treat it as a movie and search TMDb.

January 8, 2017 - 3:24pm
albinousrex's picture
  james wrote:

You would still need to follow the season/episode naming style, since that is what Infuse uses to determine if a video is a movie or TV show. In essence, if Infuse determines your video is a TV show it will search the TheTVDb. For everything else, it will treat it as a movie and search TMDb.

Makes sense, thanks James. I'll try renaming it and see what I can come up with. Unfortunately the series was more of one off specials than season and episodes, but I tried clearing the title up a bit and will see what happens.

January 8, 2017 - 3:29pm
james's picture
Staff
  albinousrex wrote:

Makes sense, thanks James. I'll try renaming it and see what I can come up with. Unfortunately the series was more of one off specials than season and episodes, but I tried clearing the title up a bit and will see what happens.

So, in this case you can simply use a season number of 00 (since they are all specials) and the appropriate episode number. http://thetvdb.com/?tab=season&seriesid=82896&...

January 8, 2017 - 4:19pm
albinousrex's picture
  james wrote:

So, in this case you can simply use a season number of 00 (since they are all specials) and the appropriate episode number. http://thetvdb.com/?tab=season&seriesid=82896&...

That worked, recognized now. Thanks again for the help!

January 16, 2017 - 7:34pm
patrice.moracchini's picture

Could you please also add the possibility of different language per folder? Sometimes infuse doesn't find the match if the language is not the one of the movie.

December 9, 2018 - 2:01pm
Moolala's picture

...am I understanding correctly that the only way to match/correct manually for TV episode is by renaming of file itself ??

...or there is still a glimmer of hope of it searching the correct database if INFUSE already thinks it might be a TV show based on the existing filename that it was unable to auto-match ?

To the best of my knowledge I have never been able to manually fix any TV episodes whether ios or tvos with or without siri. Depending on answer here, would be nice to have either ability to point to desired database or file rename where read/write share was granted.

Sorry if this has been detailed adnauseum...still a little confused.

December 10, 2018 - 10:23am
james's picture
Staff
  Moolala wrote:

...am I understanding correctly that the only way to match/correct manually for TV episode is by renaming of file itself ??

...or there is still a glimmer of hope of it searching the correct database if INFUSE already thinks it might be a TV show based on the existing filename that it was unable to auto-match ?

To the best of my knowledge I have never been able to manually fix any TV episodes whether ios or tvos with or without siri. Depending on answer here, would be nice to have either ability to point to desired database or file rename where read/write share was granted.

Sorry if this has been detailed adnauseum...still a little confused.

Can you provide a few examples of how your files are named?

Infuse supports most of the common naming styles, and a list of these can be found here.
https://support.firecore.com/hc/en-us/articles...

December 10, 2018 - 10:37am
danemacmillan's picture
Beta Tester
Kudos: 146
  james wrote:

Infuse supports most of the common naming styles, and a list of these can be found here.

@James, unrelated but I've been meaning to ask as I noticed it about a month ago. It looks like TV Show matching is now not just based on the filename, but can now determine a match based on the parent directories, which I keenly remember not being possible at the beginning of January 2018. Is this correct? You guys added #6 and #7 for TV Show matching recently, right?

• Infuse Pro Lifetime
  December 10, 2018 - 10:47am
james's picture
Staff
  danemacmillan wrote:

@James, unrelated but I've been meaning to ask as I noticed it about a month ago. It looks like TV Show matching is now not just based on the filename, but can now determine a match based on the parent directories, which I keenly remember not being possible at the beginning of January 2018. Is this correct? You guys added #6 and #7 for TV Show matching recently, right?

Directory organization has been around for awhile, but this currently isn't available if you are using Google Drive.

December 10, 2018 - 3:05pm
Moolala's picture
  james wrote:

Hey James ! Thanks so much for jumping in to help out so quickly. Can’t say enough about impression of the infuse team and yourself re how engaged and supportive and passionate you repeatedly seem to be ! Best app experience overall regardless of the occasional hiccups. Thanks !!

Anyhow...there is no doubt that naming conventions for great many of my TV episode files don’t stand a chance in hell of matching when the lookup occurs...no issue there ! the part I’m asking about is whether there is no ability to edit and correct tv episodes on the fly like we do for movies. I can retype name in edit for a search but seems like it only checks Movie db....yes ?? Why ?? Couldn’t the correction search easily go to the other tv db if you incorporated some kind of indicator or prefix for us to type (if demand warranted) I only ask because so used to fixing the movies in that same fashion for metadata rather than changing actual file name.

December 10, 2018 - 3:45pm
james's picture
Staff
  Moolala wrote:

Hey James ! Thanks so much for jumping in to help out so quickly. Can’t say enough about impression of the infuse team and yourself re how engaged and supportive and passionate you repeatedly seem to be ! Best app experience overall regardless of the occasional hiccups. Thanks !!

Anyhow...there is no doubt that naming conventions for great many of my TV episode files don’t stand a chance in hell of matching when the lookup occurs...no issue there ! the part I’m asking about is whether there is no ability to edit and correct tv episodes on the fly like we do for movies. I can retype name in edit for a search but seems like it only checks Movie db....yes ?? Why ?? Couldn’t the correction search easily go to the other tv db if you incorporated some kind of indicator or prefix for us to type (if demand warranted) I only ask because so used to fixing the movies in that same fashion for metadata rather than changing actual file name.

Thanks for the kind words. Smile

In regard to your question...the answer is yes, and no. Currently, Infuse uses two different databases for metadata/artwork: TMDb and TheTVDb.

Before searching, Infuse does its best to see if the file in question is a TV show. It does this by seeing if the filename matches one of the naming styles outlined in the metadata 101 guide. If it's a TV show, Infuse will search (or allow you to manually search) TheTVDb for a match. If the file doesn't use one of the TV show naming styles Infuse expects, it will search TMDb for movie titles.

For example, say I have an episode of ‘The Walking Dead’ I want to match in Infuse.

• The.Walking.Dead.S01.E01.mkv - Infuse would likely match it automatically
  • The.Waking.Dead.Episode1.mkv - Infuse would treat it as a movie
  • My.Favorite.Show.S01.E01.mkv - Infuse wouldn't match it to TWD, but you could search for it manually (since Infuse knows it's a TV show) to get the right info

There are a few additional naming styles we'll likely be adding support for in future versions, so if you were able to share a few examples of how your files are named it could be helpful in improving future versions.

December 10, 2018 - 4:05pm
Moolala's picture
  james wrote:

Thanks for the kind words. Smile

In regard to your question...the answer is yes, and no. Currently, Infuse uses two different databases for metadata/artwork: TMDb and TheTVDb.

Before searching, Infuse does its best to see if the file in question is a TV show. It does this by seeing if the filename matches one of the naming styles outlined in the metadata 101 guide. If it's a TV show, Infuse will search (or allow you to manually search) TheTVDb for a match. If the file doesn't use one of the TV show naming styles Infuse expects, it will search TMDb for movie titles.

For example, say I have an episode of ‘The Walking Dead’ I want to match in Infuse.

• The.Walking.Dead.S01.E01.mkv - Infuse would likely match it automatically
  • The.Waking.Dead.Episode1.mkv - Infuse would treat it as a movie
  • My.Favorite.Show.S01.E01.mkv - Infuse wouldn't match it to TWD, but you could search for it manually (since Infuse knows it's a TV show) to get the right info

There are a few additional naming styles we'll likely be adding support for in future versions, so if you were able to share a few examples of how your files are named it could be helpful in improving future versions.

Ok...I get all that (some of the ones in question got tagged with production codes instead of episode numbers. Hardly a situation I need you guys to cater to...I can xref with the database to obtain episode numbers because file name has episode name too.

May I ask why infuse can’t just approach a corrective search in the same manner as it uses for a filename and if it sees we keyed: showname s01e01 it would opt to look up thru tv database instead of incorrectly coming up empty in movies db ??

December 11, 2018 - 10:06am
james's picture
Staff
  Moolala wrote:

Ok...I get all that (some of the ones in question got tagged with production codes instead of episode numbers. Hardly a situation I need you guys to cater to...I can xref with the database to obtain episode numbers because file name has episode name too.

May I ask why infuse can’t just approach a corrective search in the same manner as it uses for a filename and if it sees we keyed: showname s01e01 it would opt to look up thru tv database instead of incorrectly coming up empty in movies db ??

I guess it's simply a use case that has never really come up. Smile

One nice thing about Infuse's current approach is even if it gets the series wrong, as long as it knows it's a TV show you can simply correct one of the episodes and all the other episodes in the series would be updated at the same time. Manually entering a series, season, and episode would need to be done for each and every episode...though I suppose it could make sense if you just had a handful of files stored locally on your device, and were in a pinch.

I'll add this to our list of things to look into. Thanks!

December 11, 2018 - 11:03am
Moolala's picture
  james wrote:

I guess it's simply a use case that has never really come up. Smile

One nice thing about Infuse's current approach is even if it gets the series wrong, as long as it knows it's a TV show you can simply correct one of the episodes and all the other episodes in the series would be updated at the same time. Manually entering a series, season, and episode would need to be done for each and every episode...though I suppose it could make sense if you just had a handful of files stored locally on your device, and were in a pinch.

I'll add this to our list of things to look into. Thanks!

Correct one, correct all...good to know thanks !
I assume you mean at a SHOW level. Won’t help me here where I need to xref episode names back to numbers.

Not to steer this topic sideways but I’m babbling away over on “Where does online metadata fetching get stored?” Trying to make sense of what keeps happening to exisitng metadata and corrections already made. Would really welcome comment there once time permits : )

May 7, 2019 - 5:46pm
motoo1's picture

Hello, I have problem with one TV show in Czech republic. Name is Návštěvnící (The visitors) from 1983. On this page https://www.thetvdb.com/series/the-visitors no problem. Here are right information, but in latest infuse 6 I don't see it. On this page (https://www.themoviedb.org) TV show is absent.
Is it possible to add serial or how and on what page? I don't want to create an xml file. Thak you so much fot answer and for your good work of this best program.
M.

May 7, 2019 - 6:39pm
remotevisitor's picture
Kudos: 35

Looking at the name on thetvdb.org that you linked to the last letter of the name is different to the one you quote in your posting: Návštěvníci vs Návštěvnící

That might be why Infuse doesn’t match that series.

May 7, 2019 - 7:36pm
NC Bullseye's picture
Kudos: 383
  motoo1 wrote:

Hello, I have problem with one TV show in Czech republic. Name is Návštěvnící (The visitors) from 1983. On this page https://www.thetvdb.com/series/the-visitors no problem. Here are right information, but in latest infuse 6 I don't see it. On this page (https://www.themoviedb.org) TV show is absent.
Is it possible to add serial or how and on what page? I don't want to create an xml file. Thak you so much fot answer and for your good work of this best program.
M.

First, Infuse won't pull TV show metadata from themoviedb.org it only pulls TV info from thetvdb.com. What happens when you try to edit the metadata in Infuse? There is a guide here https://support.firecore.com/hc/en-us/articles... that explains how to edit the metadata.

Also, can you provide a sample of how you have the files named? Sometimes that will keep Infuse from finding the correct metadata.

•Just Another Infuse User• •Not An Employee Of Firecore• •Certified Curmudgeon•

May 8, 2019 - 3:16am
motoo1's picture

Hi, thank you for your reply. To begin with, I use the infusion over a year, and I understand the format and system of storing and naming files (movies and serials). If not, I found the metadata after editing and selecting the correct year or name. I understand the metadata editing. I use Infuse 6 on Apple TV 4K and on iOS. This Czech series was also named The Visitors in English or Die Besucher in German. There was no option after metadata editing even after various combinations. I tried the same names but the year was different, of course, and there was a mistake. I do not understand that.
Have nice day and thank you.
M.

---- now is all OK, sorry and thank you all Smile
Problem was in bad name of files Name of TV Show/1 series/
Yes, I haven`t file "/1.series/" Smile after adding this file metadata is automatic upgrade

October 28, 2019 - 7:08am
mriksman's picture

Hi All,
Sorry to jump on this thread - but it is the same issue.
I have a file named;
Watchmen_S01.E01.mkv
On thetvdb.com, there are three similar names;
English Watchmen 360733 Continuing HBO Oct 2019 Dec 2019
English Watchmen (2017) 335946 Continuing Oct 2017 Apr 2019
English Watchmen: Motion Comic 82618 Ended iTunes Jul 2008 Nov 2009
However, Infuse only sees the last one 'Watchmen: Motion Comic'.

What could cause Infuse not to get the updated list from thetvdb.com?

October 28, 2019 - 8:40am
NC Bullseye's picture
Kudos: 383
  mriksman wrote:

Hi All,
Sorry to jump on this thread - but it is the same issue.
I have a file named;
Watchmen_S01.E01.mkv
On thetvdb.com, there are three similar names;
English Watchmen 360733 Continuing HBO Oct 2019 Dec 2019
English Watchmen (2017) 335946 Continuing Oct 2017 Apr 2019
English Watchmen: Motion Comic 82618 Ended iTunes Jul 2008 Nov 2009
However, Infuse only sees the last one 'Watchmen: Motion Comic'.

What could cause Infuse not to get the updated list from thetvdb.com?

There's a thread running here that may help https://firecore.com/forum/topic/23953

•Just Another Infuse User• •Not An Employee Of Firecore• •Certified Curmudgeon•