46 posts / 0 new / Last post
  June 7, 2019 - 10:31am
NC Bullseye's picture
Kudos: 372
  Spats Colombo wrote:

They belong in entirely separate categories so that comparison doesn't really make sense. One of these is a nice-to-have feature and another involves basic usability.

For suggestions there are no categories when you're dealing with what people want. Some feel their request is most important while others have no desire for it so that is why the best indicator of what the user base wants is the number of requests for a feature and the number of up votes it gets.

This doesn't mean that the one with the most votes will always be developed first since there are so many variables in programing but it shows where the most interest lies.

•Just Another Infuse User• •Not An Employee Of Firecore• •Certified Curmudgeon•

June 7, 2019 - 10:38am
Spats Colombo's picture
Kudos: 18
  NC Bullseye wrote:

For suggestions there are no categories when you're dealing with what people want. Some feel their request is most important while others have no desire for it so that is why the best indicator of what the user base wants is the number of requests for a feature and the number of up votes it gets.

This doesn't mean that the one with the most votes will always be developed first since there are so many variables in programing but it shows where the most interest lies.

This is why developers have a responsibility to triage bugs, features, and user requests.

June 7, 2019 - 7:36pm
Dandemon's picture
Kudos: 3
  Spats Colombo wrote:

This is why developers have a responsibility to triage bugs, features, and user requests.

Agreed. That's why it doesn't make sense that this can has been kicked down the road. It was slated for 6.0. Now it's been pushed down to 6.3 or 6.4.

If you're having technical trouble with implementing this feature, by all means say so. But if you keep deprecating it when so many people want it, expect annoyed paying customers who might not feel like paying any more till you've implemented it.

July 22, 2019 - 8:53am
aqfa.ex's picture
Kudos: 0

+1

September 3, 2019 - 1:42pm
ceekay's picture
Kudos: 1

I'm here because I was completely shocked when I went to search by actor, and found I couldn't.

How is this not a thing yet?

September 3, 2019 - 1:51pm
NC Bullseye's picture
Kudos: 372
  ceekay wrote:

I'm here because I was completely shocked when I went to search by actor, and found I couldn't.

How is this not a thing yet?

Looks to be on the "To Do" list for an upcoming version https://firecore.com/forum/topic/13575 "Additional Library filters (by actor, director, etc...)"

•Just Another Infuse User• •Not An Employee Of Firecore• •Certified Curmudgeon•

September 3, 2019 - 2:09pm
Spats Colombo's picture

Yes it’s been on there for I think a couple years now, and keeps getting bumped to a later release, and a later release, and a later release, while tack on features like Dropbox support get added and we get charged again for new versions that have few substantial improvements while lacking basic functionality like this.

It’s been years and Infuse, despite having an industry-best playback engine, is still useless for navigating collections larger than a couple dozen movies. Devs badly need to fix the UI but their priorities are all out of whack.

September 3, 2019 - 2:18pm
Spats Colombo's picture
  Dandemon wrote:

Agreed. That's why it doesn't make sense that this can has been kicked down the road. It was slated for 6.0. Now it's been pushed down to 6.3 or 6.4.

If you're having technical trouble with implementing this feature, by all means say so. But if you keep deprecating it when so many people want it, expect annoyed paying customers who might not feel like paying any more till you've implemented it.

^this guy gets it. The devs keep pushing this down the line - along with other really basic UI features like RT/IMDb ratings - and don’t bother telling us why.

September 16, 2019 - 11:06am
Tom1102's picture
Kudos: 8
  NC Bullseye wrote:

...the best indicator of what the user base wants is the number of requests for a feature and the number of up votes it gets.

This is so wrong... My parents, my sister, and even my grandma are using Infuse. ALL OF THEM keep complaining at me because they can't search by country or by actor. All I can do is add a "+1" in this post.

"Techies" are the ones who go into forums and request features. Of course Philips hue will have more posts than this. Forums don't account for what regular users want.
And let's be honest. Searching by actor or director is a very basic feature that EVERY other media app has. How many of them have Philips hue support?

Basic features should always come first.

October 2, 2019 - 1:39pm
Spats Colombo's picture

^ Exactly. This:

6.3 (pending)

Philips Hue
HomeKit

6.4 (pending)

Multi-user support
Additional Library filters (by actor, director, etc...)

should be the other way around.

October 2, 2019 - 3:41pm
lyskamm's picture
Beta Tester
Kudos: 14
  Spats Colombo wrote:

should be the other way around.

I completely agree. The interface is the weakest aspect of Infuse.
IImprovements should be prioritised

October 5, 2019 - 4:02pm
nicknick's picture
Beta Tester
Kudos: 10
  Tom1102 wrote:

This is so wrong... My parents, my sister, and even my grandma are using Infuse. ALL OF THEM keep complaining at me because they can't search by country or by actor. All I can do is add a "+1" in this post.

"Techies" are the ones who go into forums and request features. Of course Philips hue will have more posts than this. Forums don't account for what regular users want.
And let's be honest. Searching by actor or director is a very basic feature that EVERY other media app has. How many of them have Philips hue support?

Basic features should always come first.

Spot on!
As the devs you have to use the product to better understand to predict user's needs rather than relying on votes

October 6, 2019 - 1:53pm
hanzi45ax's picture

In May 2020 I will not continue with my yearly subscription, if the developer still moves the search by actor/director to coming soon bla bla.
Especially for the connected Plex server content I do not get where the problem is not to read the already existing tags from the Plex database...

October 12, 2019 - 8:18pm
Johnnyblack's picture

This should be the basic features of any media center app...

October 15, 2019 - 8:23pm
Jaciel's picture

+1