176 posts / 0 new / Last post
  September 19, 2019 - 8:56am
stimpy88's picture
Beta Tester
Kudos: 19
  Pensive wrote:

Erm.....not true.

There are already IOS apps that work with hue sync voia the camera. Plex supports hue sync. kodi supports it. Even MrMC, the Apple TV port supports it.

There are an absolute ton of implementations on multiple platforms. We just want it to work with infuse.

I'm not sure that Osram can do it because I'm pretty sure Philips will have played the patent game very well. My dad had a couple of patents with Philips when he worked there - their legal team is well funded Wink

Thanks for the info. So we can already get full Hue Sync support from the other media player you mentioned, natively on the Apple TV? So we are talking one app, or what here?

I googled Hue Sync Apple TV, and got nothing... I'm not interested at pointing my phone at my TV for people in this thread to prove a point. It happens native on the Apple TV, or what I said previously stands.

AppleTV 4K - tvOS 13 Beta - Sony KDL-55W905A 240Hz QLED 1080p HDTV - Pioneer SC-LX87 Receiver - QNAP TS-251 NAS with QTS v4.3.4 40TB via NFS - Synology DS109+ NAS with DSM v4.2 4TB via NFS - 110Mb/s symmetric fibre Internet connection

September 19, 2019 - 9:10am
crawdad62's picture
Kudos: 0

Yeah the whole point your phone camera at the TV thing is not a solution. However the other implementations are. I'm just not a fan of them and use Infuse. Hence the hope that there will be a solution.

September 19, 2019 - 9:13am
Akerhage's picture
Kudos: 1

Does Plex provide Hue Sync? I have some Hue features with Plex, but the only thing it can do is to turn the lights on when starting a movie, and dim the light some when the media is paused. Thats not "Hue sync" for me. But maybe I have missed some new features?

September 19, 2019 - 9:22am
munpip214's picture
Beta Tester
Kudos: 120
  stimpy88 wrote:

This feature is deader than a dead dingo's donga now. I cant imagine that Philips would let any third party get this up and running on the Apple TV, not after that ludicrously expensive box was released. I mean Hue is expensive, all us owners of it are used to that, but this box is outrageously overpriced for what it actually does - provide a second rate Ambilight without support for Dolby Vision and HDR10+, the two major standards for 4K movies.

I don’t think it really matters that it doesn’t support Dolby vision and HDR10+. Like you would be able to tell the difference with ambient light that the dynamic range or brightness is slightly off. Hue bulbs don’t get that bright or have that many colors. I’m honestly surprised that Philips even mentioned it. I’m sure they didn’t want to pay any royalties to Dolby and there really is nothing with HDR10+ yet. The extra decoding could have required more expensive parts. They will probably just use the HDR10 layer which is still there with Dolby vision movies. I think the important thing is that is supports passthrough and doesn’t lag.

Apple TV 4, Apple TV 3, iPhone Xs, iMac 5k, iPad Pro, Airport Extreme, Airport Express, Synology DS916+

September 19, 2019 - 11:30am
Pensive's picture
Beta Tester
Kudos: 6
  stimpy88 wrote:

Thanks for the info. So we can already get full Hue Sync support from the other media player you mentioned, natively on the Apple TV? So we are talking one app, or what here?

I googled Hue Sync Apple TV, and got nothing... I'm not interested at pointing my phone at my TV for people in this thread to prove a point. It happens native on the Apple TV, or what I said previously stands.

If you read the thread you’ll see - I even posted a video.

Plex has a simple hue integration.

Hue Sync is fully supported by MrMc or Kodi on all platforms with the software render engine up to 4K. But this doesn’t do HDR well.

It also supports hq hardware rendering engine up to 1080p. But 4K stops the hue sync plugin from working.

So the implementations are in their infancy on the Apple TV. That is why we need infuse to do it - and that is why it is not dead in the water.

Hardware implementations are all equally flawed in various ways from cost to DV support to latency through to the physical connection issues.

What about multi room?

I have 4 apple TVs in my house with hue in 3 rooms. It would cost me nearly a grand to implement this in each space.

Or...infuse.

As for Apple directly supporting it....well...I’m sure they could but I think it’s low on the list purely down to the small percentage of users that would benefit.

September 20, 2019 - 1:05am
stimpy88's picture
Beta Tester
  munpip214 wrote:

I don’t think it really matters that it doesn’t support Dolby vision and HDR10+. Like you would be able to tell the difference with ambient light that the dynamic range or brightness is slightly off. Hue bulbs don’t get that bright or have that many colors. I’m honestly surprised that Philips even mentioned it. I’m sure they didn’t want to pay any royalties to Dolby and there really is nothing with HDR10+ yet. The extra decoding could have required more expensive parts. They will probably just use the HDR10 layer which is still there with Dolby vision movies. I think the important thing is that is supports passthrough and doesn’t lag.

It simply does not work with Dolby Vision and HDR10+. It acts as a passthrough box when it gets fed those. To reiterate, your lights will do nothing when playing 60% of HDR content.

AppleTV 4K - tvOS 13 Beta - Sony KDL-55W905A 240Hz QLED 1080p HDTV - Pioneer SC-LX87 Receiver - QNAP TS-251 NAS with QTS v4.3.4 40TB via NFS - Synology DS109+ NAS with DSM v4.2 4TB via NFS - 110Mb/s symmetric fibre Internet connection

September 20, 2019 - 1:16am
stimpy88's picture
Beta Tester
  Pensive wrote:

If you read the thread you’ll see - I even posted a video.

Plex has a simple hue integration.

Hue Sync is fully supported by MrMc or Kodi on all platforms with the software render engine up to 4K. But this doesn’t do HDR well.

It also supports hq hardware rendering engine up to 1080p. But 4K stops the hue sync plugin from working.

So the implementations are in their infancy on the Apple TV. That is why we need infuse to do it - and that is why it is not dead in the water.

Hardware implementations are all equally flawed in various ways from cost to DV support to latency through to the physical connection issues.

What about multi room?

I have 4 apple TVs in my house with hue in 3 rooms. It would cost me nearly a grand to implement this in each space.

Or...infuse.

As for Apple directly supporting it....well...I’m sure they could but I think it’s low on the list purely down to the small percentage of users that would benefit.

Its interesting to see that there is some Hue Sync support out there, but it seems very limited, not to mention that you have yet another player app to install and maintain. It would be good if Firecore could get this feature off the ground, but maybe they cant due to the way their player code works... I just think that unless Apple supports this directly in tvOS, it will always be a compromise and wont work well in all cases, so therefore wont be worth it, which is why its not here.

Maybe if the ATV5 is A12X based, then maybe there will be enough horsepower to get this working in software. We can at least hope for that, as this new box is too badly compromised to be worth spending money on.

September 20, 2019 - 7:48am
Sledgehamma's picture
Beta Tester
Kudos: 14
  stimpy88 wrote:

It simply does not work with Dolby Vision and HDR10+. It acts as a passthrough box when it gets fed those. To reiterate, your lights will do nothing when playing 60% of HDR content.

How come? If the box doesn’t support DV or HDR10+ you will fallback to HDR10. So hue sync will still work with DV content.
So example:
DV movie -> ATV 4K -> philips Hue Sync Box -> TV (DV capable)
ATV doesn’t send DV but sends HDR10 instead.

September 20, 2019 - 8:53am
Pensive's picture
Beta Tester

The article said that hue sync will not work with DV or HDR10+ content. It needs to fully decode the signal and process the colourspace on the fly to run hue sync

September 20, 2019 - 9:17am
munpip214's picture
Beta Tester
  Pensive wrote:

The article said that hue sync will not work with DV or HDR10+ content. It needs to fully decode the signal and process the colourspace on the fly to run hue sync

Maybe it depends on type of DV. If it is double layer it can just passthrough the DV layer and read the default HDR10 layer (what infuse is already doing). For single layer DV I can understand that it might have to just passthrough.

Apple TV 4, Apple TV 3, iPhone Xs, iMac 5k, iPad Pro, Airport Extreme, Airport Express, Synology DS916+

September 20, 2019 - 9:50am
Sledgehamma's picture
Beta Tester
  Pensive wrote:

Oh my god how stupid is this. So it can bypass DV but that’s it? So they really cheaped out...
I thought the device doesn’t support DV at all so that the playback device would notice it and sends HDR10 instead....I seriously hope they add an option to disable the DV bypass.

September 20, 2019 - 9:56am
yorktowne1981's picture
Beta Tester
  Sledgehamma wrote:

Oh my god how stupid is this. So it can bypass DV but that’s it? So they really cheaped out...
I thought the device doesn’t support DV at all so that the playback device would notice it and sends HDR10 instead....I seriously hope they add an option to disable the DV bypass.

I took it that the Hue Sync wouldn’t be able to process the DV so no lighting effects would be present during DV content.

However, the DV signal would be passed through to the display unaltered

Apple TV 4K --> Bose SoundTouch 300 --> LG OLED65B7A
======== SYNOLOGY DS1517+ ========
iPhone XS Max iPad Pro 10.5

September 20, 2019 - 12:13pm
peteo's picture
Kudos: 4
  stimpy88 wrote:

Maybe if the ATV5 is A12X based, then maybe there will be enough horsepower to get this working in software. We can at least hope for that, as this new box is too badly compromised to be worth spending money on.

Considering that MRMC for apple TV currently supports hue syncing for over a year it would seem the apple TV has the hardware capable of doing this.

September 23, 2019 - 7:28am
stimpy88's picture
Beta Tester
  peteo wrote:

Considering that MRMC for apple TV currently supports hue syncing for over a year it would seem the apple TV has the hardware capable of doing this.

A few posts up, I was told that this did not work for 4K content... So it does the whole Ambilight thing, like this new box does, or does it just change your lights to a preset theme when watching a 4K HDR movie?

September 23, 2019 - 7:49am
Pensive's picture
Beta Tester
  stimpy88 wrote:

A few posts up, I was told that this did not work for 4K content... So it does the whole Ambilight thing, like this new box does, or does it just change your lights to a preset theme when watching a 4K HDR movie?

It works up to 4k SDR. It works 1080P HDR. When you select the HDR rendering engine (AV Foundation) and load a 4k video it stops doing anything to the lights.

Here's a video of it working at 1080P with AV Foundation rendering engine.

The lighting preset scene plugin is totally different.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkqjLiCwiZc&t=29s

October 23, 2019 - 3:38pm
iAzriel's picture
Beta Tester
Kudos: 4

Hue support moved for 6.4... Pitty, was really looking forward for this feature in Infuse 6. I wonder if it a Firecore matter or an Apple Home Kit issue...

October 23, 2019 - 4:23pm
janpolsen's picture

Nooooo.... I checked yesterday and it were still in 6.3.
I look so much forward to Hue Support in Infuse instead of having to buy Philips' new box 😕

October 23, 2019 - 4:26pm
yorktowne1981's picture
Beta Tester

I can say this, Philips box is fantastic.
F’ing pricey but fantastic

October 23, 2019 - 5:15pm
munpip214's picture
Beta Tester
  iAzriel wrote:

Hue support moved for 6.4... Pitty, was really looking forward for this feature in Infuse 6. I wonder if it a Firecore matter or an Apple Home Kit issue...

I think variable playback speed in 6.3 instead of Hue is personally a good choice for infuse. That has been requested by more people for a lot longer and needed support. It will affect everyone whereas hue is just to those with specific lights. At least it’s not just on future planned. Don’t think any specific limitation.

October 23, 2019 - 6:44pm
crawdad62's picture
  yorktowne1981 wrote:

I can say this, Philips box is fantastic.
F’ing pricey but fantastic

Yeah I broke down and bought it. Seamless.

October 24, 2019 - 5:04am
Rasket787's picture

Nooo.... Earlier Philips Hue support was planned in 6.2 and then 6.3... now 6.4.....Please dont do this. Just say u dont want or u cant do it....

October 24, 2019 - 1:22pm
Sledgehamma's picture
Beta Tester
  Rasket787 wrote:

Nooo.... Earlier Philips Hue support was planned in 6.2 and then 6.3... now 6.4.....Please dont do this. Just say u dont want or u cant do it....

This doesn’t really fill me with confidence that we’ll see hue support anytime soon...

October 24, 2019 - 2:42pm
munpip214's picture
Beta Tester

For reference of the last few years:
Average x.y.z release is ~2 weeks
Average x.y release is ~3 months
But that all depends on how many minor features/bugs are introduced/fixed too. Might be sooner

October 24, 2019 - 3:05pm
yorktowne1981's picture
Beta Tester

It may just be an issue of getting the sync to be acceptable to Firecore’s standards.

They’ve proven over the years that they tend to wait to release a feature until it is working as expected.

An example of the opposite of this would be the Hue support in MrMc.... terrible, the lag was pretty ridiculous

Compare that to Philips’ Sync Box which has little if any lag. (Which I would expect from a piece of hardware made specifically for this purpose)

If that is the case and Firecore is taking extra time to iron out issues.... more power to them.

As always though, it would be cool to have some communication on why a features release is pushed back.

October 28, 2019 - 1:19pm
Sledgehamma's picture
Beta Tester
  yorktowne1981 wrote:

It may just be an issue of getting the sync to be acceptable to Firecore’s standards.

They’ve proven over the years that they tend to wait to release a feature until it is working as expected.

An example of the opposite of this would be the Hue support in MrMc.... terrible, the lag was pretty ridiculous

Compare that to Philips’ Sync Box which has little if any lag. (Which I would expect from a piece of hardware made specifically for this purpose)

If that is the case and Firecore is taking extra time to iron out issues.... more power to them.

As always though, it would be cool to have some communication on why a features release is pushed back.

Yeah, that might be true. Still, it would be great to see some communication from infuse.