205 posts / 0 new / Last post
#1  October 4, 2017 - 4:27pm
JMGNYC's picture
Beta Tester
Kudos: 7

I've noticed on my new ATV 4K that videos played back via Infuse are somewhat darker than the same thing played back in an app that uses Apple's native player like Plex or Emby. This is in both SDR and HDR modes. Shadow details especially are being lost.

Is there a black level or colorspace issue I need to figure out?

October 5, 2017 - 3:39pm
james's picture
Staff
Kudos: 1,286

If you have any examples of this we'd be happy to look further into what's going on here.

Samples can be uploaded here.
http://firecore.com/upload

Infuse 6 for iOS and Apple TV is now available!

October 7, 2017 - 8:49am
JMGNYC's picture
Beta Tester
  james wrote:

If you have any examples of this we'd be happy to look further into what's going on here.

Samples can be uploaded here.
http://firecore.com/upload

Hi James, thanks for the support but I think I've narrowed it down.

First of all, I've installed the latest update of Infuse and then did side by side comparisons leaving the video running in both Plex (native player) and Infuse and using the task switcher. What I was saying was lack of shadow detail and interpreting as black levels being off is not quite right. It seems to be a sharpening or upscaling issue.

I'm using a 1080p BD rip as the source and the ATK 4K is in 4K SDR mode.

Colors and black scale do seem correct. But Infuse is not as sharp as the native player and that is what was noticeable to me. Perhaps the native player uses a different upscaling algorithm? What does Infuse use for upscaling 1080pto 4K? Or does it not upscale at all and leaves it to the ATV or what exactly?

October 9, 2017 - 8:44am
james's picture
Staff

Thanks for the feedback.

We're currently in the process of migrating from OpenGL to Metal (in order to add HDR support) and will look further into this once this has been completed. It's possible this transition alone may clear up any differences you are seeing, but obviously we'll do everything we can to get this addressed.

October 9, 2017 - 9:48am
JMGNYC's picture
Beta Tester
  james wrote:

Thanks for the feedback.

We're currently in the process of migrating from OpenGL to Metal (in order to add HDR support) and will look further into this once this has been completed. It's possible this transition alone may clear up any differences you are seeing, but obviously we'll do everything we can to get this addressed.

Thanks for the reply.

If it helps, on my old 1080p ATV 4 this was not an issue so I really do think it has to do with upscaling quality where the native players is doing really pretty good upscaling to 4K while Infuse is not yet.

October 9, 2017 - 11:26am
Gurke92sup's picture
Kudos: 0
  james wrote:

Thanks for the feedback.

This migrating to Metal is for HDR support only? What is with iOS version? This generally has an improvement for normal video files without HDR and video decoding or quality??

October 9, 2017 - 11:34am
james's picture
Staff
  Gurke92sup wrote:

This migrating to Metal is for HDR support only? What is with iOS version? This generally has an improvement for normal video files without HDR and video decoding or quality??

At this point we're doing it out of necessity for HDR, but it could prove to have other side benefits. Long term, it's probably a good idea anyway since Apple is putting much more effort into improving Metal compared to OpenGL.

This transition will be for both iOS and tvOS.

October 11, 2017 - 2:08pm
Gurke92sup's picture
  james wrote:

At this point we're doing it out of necessity for HDR, but it could prove to have other side benefits. Long term, it's probably a good idea anyway since Apple is putting much more effort into improving Metal compared to OpenGL.

This transition will be for both iOS and tvOS.

Metal 2 for the migration?

October 12, 2017 - 12:39pm
james's picture
Staff
  Gurke92sup wrote:

Metal 2 for the migration?

Most likely yes, though not all devices support Metal 2.

October 12, 2017 - 12:53pm
Gurke92sup's picture
  james wrote:

Most likely yes, though not all devices support Metal 2.

Which devices not supports this? I think all devices the not supports iOS 11?

This device use old OpenGL? Or this new Infuse version is for iOS 11 only? Dropped ios 10,9 support etc..?

October 12, 2017 - 12:59pm
james's picture
Staff
  Gurke92sup wrote:

Which devices not supports this? I think all devices the not supports iOS 11?

This device use old OpenGL? Or this new Infuse version is for iOS 11 only? Dropped ios 10,9 support etc..?

We'll have more info as we get further along with the migration. In essence, we plan to provide an excellent experience on all devices running iOS 9 or later.

November 21, 2017 - 7:17am
JMGNYC's picture
Beta Tester
  james wrote:

Thanks for the feedback.

I've tested this again with the latest release and there is still a noticeably better PQ with the native player in Plex direct streaming than in Infuse. I've done side by side comparisons of the same film/scene. It appears the native player is using a better upscaling/sharpening algorithm compared to Infuse.

November 21, 2017 - 9:32am
Christian1979's picture
Beta Tester
Kudos: 177

Hey James 😉

I have done a Test with a SD-Resolution Video:
Infuse vs ITunes Homesharing...

I must confirm iTunes really make a much scharper and not pixelated Upscaling compared to Infuse!

Infuse Upscaling is in comparison very blurred and pixelated...

Could you take a try?

TV 4K (32 GB) • tvOS 13.3.1 • Infuse Pro 6.3 • Synology DS-216play • Unitymedia Connect Box • Sony MASTER Series AG9

November 21, 2017 - 9:35am
james's picture
Staff

Are you only seeing this with upscaling?

IE 480p video on a 1080p TV, or 1080p video on a 4K TV?

November 21, 2017 - 9:38am
JMGNYC's picture
Beta Tester
  james wrote:

It's 1080p video on a 4K Apple TV and LG 4K OLED.

November 21, 2017 - 9:39am
Christian1979's picture
Beta Tester
Kudos: 177
  james wrote:

Yes with Upscaling only! 😉
In my case 576p to 1080p (AppleTV 4K)...

With native resolution files (1080p), everything looks good 😉👍

TV 4K (32 GB) • tvOS 13.3.1 • Infuse Pro 6.3 • Synology DS-216play • Unitymedia Connect Box • Sony MASTER Series AG9

November 21, 2017 - 10:50am
james's picture
Staff

Thanks. We'll look into this.

November 22, 2017 - 8:38am
Videoman's picture
Kudos: 17
  Christian1979 wrote:

Yes with Upscaling only! 😉
In my case 576p to 1080p (AppleTV 4K)...

Good work with the testing!

More and more people gets UHD TVs now. However, most of their content is 1080p or less, witch means there is a lot of upscaling going on. In other words, this is a highly critical fix.

Otherwise it would be better with some kind of passthrough option that would allow the TV or receiver to take care of the upscaling.

November 23, 2017 - 1:04am
mrrobotoplus's picture
Beta Tester
Kudos: 9

I do confirm Native Player is much punchy and brighter than Infuse player.

November 23, 2017 - 4:25am
Videoman's picture
Kudos: 17

Is the reason for not using the native player that it would prevent support for some video and audio formats?

November 23, 2017 - 12:56pm
Ed_Stark's picture
Kudos: 1
  Videoman wrote:

Is the reason for not using the native player that it would prevent support for some video and audio formats?

The native player doesn’t support many formats, so I am personally using Infuse instead of Plex only because of this reason. MKV with DTS runs ootb via SMB without any transcoding.

November 24, 2017 - 12:54am
brad_the_dad's picture
Kudos: 1
  james wrote:

Thanks. We'll look into this.

I hope there is a speedy determination .. and the issue is able to be resolved.
I'd hate to entomb all my content in iTunes to workaround an upscaling issue.
I dropped by the forums (fori ?) to see if you recommended a 32GB or 64GB ATV 4K (before i began my BlackFriday shopping) .. but now I think I'm going to tap the brakes and continue to watch content from the Firecore Media Player on my ATV2 .. only using Infuse on my iPads and wife's iPhone 7 Plus
I was soooo hoping to surprise the wife with a shiny new Infuse on a new ATV on BlackFriday Frown

BTW, I'm a big fan of the new layout of the latest 5.6.x Pro update for iPad (specifically year-of-release, and the return of labeled icons for options such options as download, delete, and edit metadata. I loved the labels in the Infuse 4.3 era, and found the label-less icons confusing and unintuitive. Love Infuse!

regards -- brad_the_dad

November 24, 2017 - 1:07am
mrrobotoplus's picture
Beta Tester
Kudos: 9

yeah, i'm disappointed too about the new version. always been happy and satisfied since day one about infuse (on ATV 4) but not anymore until a fix is out (for ATV4K). Even the samsung native player is much better in picture quality and it is not powered by an A10X Fusion processor and also i have the buffering issue for 4k large files which are played fine over the same smb share on the wanky samsung tv wifi connection.

November 25, 2017 - 1:23am
astirling's picture
Beta Tester
Kudos: 37

I actually see some flickering which I assume is related to upscaling or 4k output as it doesn’t occur on my bedroom Apple TV. Interestingly this flickering occurs even when the video is paused. An easy place to see this is on Pans Labyrinth near the start. The encode of this disc is horrible (not infuses fault) and it can be seen in the heavily compressed shadow area in the ruins at the very start of the film just before it cuts to the bright outside shot. Maybe about 3 mins in.

November 25, 2017 - 5:12pm
astirling's picture
Beta Tester

Also flickering at the 5:59 point in ‘Her’. Again this is present when the movie is paused. Happy to upload a video to show the problem. I’ve done some testing and the flickering only seems to appear when set at 24hz on my Oled tv. If I turn off match frame rate, I get a flicker free image unless I set the video mode to 24hz.

Please fix!! It’s so distracting. Frown

November 25, 2017 - 5:31pm
astirling's picture
Beta Tester

Actually. I’ve just noticed that If I set ‘noise reduction’ to low on my tv then the flickering disappears. Maybe it’s not something infuse can fix. 😕

November 25, 2017 - 10:03pm
Hoosier317's picture
Beta Tester
Kudos: 12
  astirling wrote:

Actually. I’ve just noticed that If I set ‘noise reduction’ to low on my tv then the flickering disappears. Maybe it’s not something infuse can fix. 😕

What do you normally have it set to? It should be off.

November 25, 2017 - 11:36pm
astirling's picture
Beta Tester

I always have it set to off. It’s a strange one. The flickering only occurs in certain dark scenes when in 24hz mode. It occurs at 1080p and 2160p. I haven’t tried forcing HDR but adjusting noise reduction completely eliminates the issue. I haven’t seen this issue at all in the iTunes native player.

November 26, 2017 - 7:03am
.javiervitorero's picture
Beta Tester
Kudos: 21

I’m also very disappointed so, at the moment, I’m taking into account to change to Plex... I’m sorry... Frown

November 26, 2017 - 7:27am
JMGNYC's picture
Beta Tester
  astirling wrote:

I always have it set to off. It’s a strange one. The flickering only occurs in certain dark scenes when in 24hz mode. It occurs at 1080p and 2160p. I haven’t tried forcing HDR but adjusting noise reduction completely eliminates the issue. I haven’t seen this issue at all in the iTunes native player.

It likely happens on grainy films with pans when it's trying to clean up the grain. It's best to leave that setting off in general on TVs.

November 26, 2017 - 7:47am
astirling's picture
Beta Tester

Sorry I’m not sure if I was clear. What I’m seeing is a flickering across patches of black or near black which persists even if I pause the film. The whole area flickers in unison. It’s definitey not grain. I always have noise reduction off as my tv is ISF calibrated. However at the moment, im forced to switch noise reduction to low as this gets rid of the flickering. I’ll try video it later and upload to YouTube.

This issue only happens with infuse when the framerate is set to 24hz. It doesn’t occur in the native iTunes player at any refresh rates or in infuse if I change the refresh rate to 50hz or 60hz