313 posts / 0 new / Last post
  November 20, 2017 - 12:41pm
ronald.vapelt's picture
Kudos: 8

It seems faster but after a couple of minutes it starts buffering (spinning wheel) again! Large 1080 3D movies seem to work fine now, like the following:
Video
ID : 1
Format : AVC
Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile : High@L4.1
Format settings, CABAC : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames : 3 frames
Codec ID : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
Duration : 2 h 20 min
Nominal bit rate : 16.0 Mb/s
Width : 1 920 pixels
Height : 1 080 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate mode : Constant
Frame rate : 23.976 (24000/1001) FPS
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Scan type : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.322
File size: 25,35 GB
..but I acquired an Apple TV 4K and Infuse 5 to play 2160p files and so I hope this buffering can be improved!

November 20, 2017 - 4:12pm
Hold Fast's picture
Kudos: 5
  james wrote:

FWIW, the Time Capsule isn't a particularly fast device, and is limited to SMB1, so you may be running into limits of the hardware itself.
To test this, you might try placing this video on your Mac/PC and streaming from there to see if things improve.

True, TC is pretty slow when you're transferring data to/from its hard drive but otherwise it is fast. My internal network is all 802.11ac and I've not experienced any issues with other apps like iTunes (not bit starved iTunes releases) or VLC. Any file will play without any buffering and even 10 sec skips are real time without any lag. With Infuse everything is sluggish. I've stopped using 10 sec skip because sometimes it takes longer to skip. Getting rid of AFS format seems to help a lot!

November 20, 2017 - 4:22pm
james's picture
Staff
Kudos: 1,206
  Hold Fast wrote:

True, TC is pretty slow when you're transferring data to/from its hard drive but otherwise it is fast. My internal network is all 802.11ac and I've not experienced any issues with other apps like iTunes (not bit starved iTunes releases) or VLC. Any file will play without any buffering and even 10 sec skips are real time without any lag. With Infuse everything is sluggish. I've stopped using 10 sec skip because sometimes it takes longer to skip. Getting rid of AFS format seems to help a lot!

Right - I was definitely referring to the I/O performance of the network/drive combo. Normal networking via Ethernet/Wi-Fi are totally fine, and as a matter of fact I'm personally using one (AirPort Extreme 6th gen) as a Wi-Fi access point right now. Wink

Infuse 6 for iOS and Apple TV is now available!

November 21, 2017 - 12:02am
ronald.vapelt's picture

That is how I am using my TimeCapsule for streaming; just the Ethernet and definitely not from the internal disk (is just for backup). So I still hope that something will improve on the buffering part in infuse!

November 21, 2017 - 7:11am
Deathcrush's picture
Kudos: 0

Hi Again

i did some more testing yesterday, and found out it was my network server that was the bottleneck. It was simply to overloaded (due to vm's)

So infuse 5.6.1 and appletv 4k can play UHD in very high quallity if you have the power on your nas Smile

my nas is a hp microserver n40l, 16gb ram, hp smart array p410 with 4, 2tb disks in a RAID5
two vm's where running in hyper-v on microsoft server 2012 R2.

as soon as i stopped the two virtual machines, there was no disruption or buffering at all. so it's just really cpu demanded on your nas to run large 4k movies.

November 21, 2017 - 8:15am
ronald.vapelt's picture

All my movies are directly coming from my brand-new iMac 3.8GHz 4-Core i5 with 48GB of memory connected with 1Gb/s Ethernet on my Timecapsule to my Apple TV 4K that is also connected with 1Gb/s Ethernet. So this configuration should be able to stream without any hiccups and still Infuse keeps spinning regularly on 2160p movies Frown The storage that is directly connected to my iMac on thunderbolt 3 is delivering >500MB/s.

November 21, 2017 - 3:03pm
ronald.vapelt's picture

I found this website (https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7674819?s...) explaining the AFP vs SMB Performance and that the smb was actually worse than AFP. The suggestion was:
If you believe that your network is secure from man-in-the-middle attacks and the Badlock bug, then you can disable client signing.
Create a nsmb.conf file in /etc with vim. sudo will be required.
Write into the file:
[default]
signing_required=no

So I added these 2 lines (and stopped/started smb) and now it works perfectly!!

November 22, 2017 - 11:28am
m_rota's picture
Kudos: 3

I have updated yesterday to version 5.6.2 and it seems the buffering problem every 3-4 sec with spinning Wheel is fixed.
Both on smb or nfs it play flawlessly
Thank you

November 22, 2017 - 3:43pm
makaus's picture

Hi i am fairly new to Infuse. I have bought Infuse 5 and trying to stream from my MacBook Pro 2016 to my iPhone X.

I am trying to find the reason for the buffering.
My router have 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz.
I have my MBP next to my router - transmit rate: 867 Mbps
I have my iPhone X next to my router - transmit rate: ~400 Mbps
Sharing a folder with SMB.
a 50 Mbps HEVC Jellyfish file is smooth.
a 100Mbps HEVC Jellyfish file is buffering every 5-10 seconds.
Jellyfish files: http://jell.yfish.us
MBP and iPhone X are on latest software update.
In Activity Monitor it says sending out ~10MB/s under Network, while trying to play the 100Mbps file.

I really hope you can help me out.

EDIT: im sorry, I can now see that I posted this in the wrong forum.
But the same happens when I try to watch the same video on my Apple TV 4K. Powerline connection with 337Mbps both ways, works perfect with ethernet computer to router and powerline to Apple TV 4K, if I take out the cable(still cable in ATV) and use Wifi from computer, it is buffering even though its on +800Mbps.. No problems with ethernet.

November 26, 2017 - 4:07am
costaud's picture
Beta Tester
Kudos: 4

Hello,
I recently bought APPLE TV 4K and infuse Pro.
I have Proliant NAS with 1080p and 4K movies with gigabit network.
I have many other player on this network and all play well 1080p and 4K movies (Shield TV, OPPO 203, Zappiti 4K, Sony A1 TV)
With Infuse, when I use wifi, all is playing well for 4K movies, but when I use ethernet I have buffering issues every 4mn (smb or nfs same issues)
I'm sure it's not a network problem because all is well with other players.
you confirm APPLE TV 4K/Infuse just stream movies from NAS, it's a hardware decoding process by the ATV 4K ? no trancoding from the NAS ?

November 26, 2017 - 4:11am
ronald.vapelt's picture

Take a look at reply #38! I also had issues with smb but solved it by adding 2 lines in the nsmb.conf file; as described in link I included!

November 26, 2017 - 4:24am
costaud's picture
Beta Tester
  ronald.vapelt wrote:

Take a look at reply #38! I also had issues with smb but solved it by adding 2 lines in the nsmb.conf file; as described in link I included!

Thanks, I will see that Wink
It means I have to create "nsmb.conf" file on my HP Proliant NAS based on Xpenology ?
I'm not sure I will be able to do that Grin

November 26, 2017 - 4:27am
ronald.vapelt's picture

I think it was a specific macOS problem and so I am not sure if that works on your NAS.

November 26, 2017 - 4:47am
costaud's picture
Beta Tester

Yes, that is what I think too Wink
As I'm on an old DMS version on my NAS, I don't have smb3 available Frown
Then I'm gonna see to upgrade my NAS OS Wink

November 26, 2017 - 7:25pm
makaus's picture

Nsmb.conf didnt work, still buffering 100mbps hevc file on 300-350mbps ethernet connection Frown

November 27, 2017 - 7:53am
vandam00's picture
Kudos: 2
  makaus wrote:

Nsmb.conf didnt work, still buffering 100mbps hevc file on 300-350mbps ethernet connection Frown

same problem here Frown

November 27, 2017 - 8:28am
nickpicker's picture
Beta Tester
Kudos: 9

I'd say most of these issues are actually network-specific rather than something Firecore could fix. In my own network I'm streaming 100mbps Jellyfish samples or HEVC movies from an old NAS (5+ years, only spinning HDDs) over SMB and 2 switches, more than 30 meters inbetween, without any hiccups or buffering issues. The network is quite saturated, both switches have 8 ports, with 5-6 devices on each switch, and continuous network traffic.

This tells me that both tvOS and Infuse can handle streaming high-bitrate HEVC over SMB just fine. When people say, "But it's a gigabit network!" from my experience they never verified this but simply assume it must be connecting at 1gbps, while in reality it's falling back to 100-500mbps because of bad cables, bad connectors, long runs, sleep mode (yes, many "green" switches degrade to 100mbps when there's little activity), packet collisions, packet loss, etc. They never noticed this (especially packet loss) in the past because they never ran an application that tried to stream >100mbps continuously. A fast file-copy across the network is not proof that everything is fine or that it's running at 1gbps because in all operating systems (Mac, Windows, Linux) file-copies from the desktop UI only show an aggregate, extrapolated speed, not packet loss or link speed.

November 27, 2017 - 3:04pm
makaus's picture

I can see what you mean Nitpicker, but I still find it strange that there are problems with these high numbers.

Now I have tried with a network speed tester app which tracks the connection directly to the server running on the iMac. My Apple TV says Min: 123 Max: 159 Mbps, I get these data directly from the app.
My Powerline 500Mbps NEGEAR Utility app says I have 337Mbps on my Powerline connection and I think that sounds pretty accurate when my readings are 123-159Mbps in the Client/Server setup I have with my Apple TV and iMac.

How do you prefer to test the connection?

November 27, 2017 - 3:12pm
nickpicker's picture
Beta Tester
Kudos: 9
  makaus wrote:

My Apple TV says Min: 123 Max: 159 Mbps, I get these data directly from the app.
My Powerline 500Mbps NEGEAR Utility app says I have 337Mbps on my Powerline connection and I think that sounds pretty accurate when my readings are 123-159Mbps in the Client/Server setup I have with my Apple TV and iMac.

How do you prefer to test the connection?

And that's the problem: you're likely seeing raw packet numbers, without protocol overhead, so 123-159mpbs is not enough to transmit 100mbps over SMB continuously.

I have actually tested the connection with a hardware device that tests each wire separately, and also from within my managed switch, i.e. there's a web UI for the switch which shows effective link speed, and a built-in tool for testing cabling, cable distance, packet loss, and CRC errors. The switch tells me I'm running at 1gbps effective rate with zero packet loss and zero CRC errors.

FWIW, I have never managed to get continuous streaming over powerline, most of the time the adapter would just overheat and drop packets or reboot.

November 27, 2017 - 4:00pm
makaus's picture
  nickpicker wrote:

And that's the problem: you're likely seeing raw packet numbers, without protocol overhead, so 123-159mpbs is not enough to transmit 100mbps over SMB continuously.

I have actually tested the connection with a hardware device that tests each wire separately, and also from within my managed switch, i.e. there's a web UI for the switch which shows effective link speed, and a built-in tool for testing cabling, cable distance, packet loss, and CRC errors. The switch tells me I'm running at 1gbps effective rate with zero packet loss and zero CRC errors.

FWIW, I have never managed to get continuous streaming over powerline, most of the time the adapter would just overheat and drop packets or reboot.

Okay, maybe you can tell me if this is enough. How accurate do you think these numbers are, straight from my router in "client monitoring" feature looking at the Apple TV.
This is on the 5Ghz network through 2 walls on 10-15 meters.

Attachments: 
  November 28, 2017 - 12:29pm
Illusia's picture
Kudos: 13

Anyone has buffering problem from synology NAS?

November 28, 2017 - 12:54pm
costaud's picture
Beta Tester

I have problem with synology NAS 😉

November 28, 2017 - 1:58pm
timstephens24's picture
Beta Tester
Kudos: 118
  Illusia wrote:

Anyone has buffering problem from synology NAS?

No issues for me, but I use NFS to connect to my Synology DS1815+ and not SMB.

Apple TV 4K --> Denon X6500H 7.1.4 --> LG OLED65C6P
======== SYNOLOGY DS1815+ DS513 ========
iPhone XS Max ||| iPad Pro 10.5

November 28, 2017 - 2:07pm
costaud's picture
Beta Tester

Nfs or smb, it doesn't change anything, the problem seems to be smb3, it's available on new NAS but not on old, and I have an old one.
But as I don't have problem with 4K files on network with android shield TV or oppo 203, I'm gonna use them for 4K files and not Apple TV 4K and infuse pro 😣

November 28, 2017 - 2:08pm
costaud's picture
Beta Tester

Another thing, it works well using wifi ac 😉 with Apple TV 4k and infuse for 4K files.
So the problem is ethernet network on this box.

November 28, 2017 - 2:16pm
timstephens24's picture
Beta Tester
  costaud wrote:

Another thing, it works well using wifi ac 😉 with Apple TV 4k and infuse for 4K files.
So the problem is ethernet network on this box.

Which Apple TV do you have?

November 29, 2017 - 4:21am
costaud's picture
Beta Tester

The new apple TV 4K 😉

November 29, 2017 - 1:02pm
timstephens24's picture
Beta Tester

Yeah I'm an idiot I didn't read "gud"... I had an issue like that with my Apple TV 4, but my Apple TV 4K's one is hard wired and one is 802.11AC and I don't have an issue with my 4K movies.

November 29, 2017 - 1:06pm
costaud's picture
Beta Tester

Could you tell me if your NAS is smb3 or smb2 activated?

November 29, 2017 - 1:39pm
timstephens24's picture
Beta Tester

I use NFS not SMB.

Edit: just checked and it supports up to SMB3 if I connect with SMB.