180 posts / 0 new / Last post
  May 4, 2018 - 1:27am
4kdude's picture
Kudos: 0

Just adding my experience to give more information on the issue.

I have also experienced buffering every 1-2 minutes when streaming 4k remux (~60gb) . when streaming 1080p there were no problems and everything was working perfect, so it must be the file size.
I have my ATV 4k connected with AC wifi (can deliever up to 433mbps) where router is like 1.5 meter from the ATV, so connection strength is at max, but still got the buffering issue.

I have managed to fix it, by changing the smb to "legacy" as many other suggested.

so you CAN stream 4k remux over wifi , but for me it only worked when smb was set to "legacy".

May 4, 2018 - 1:54am
Taucheranzug's picture
Kudos: 4

The problem when streaming via WiFi is NOT the file size, it's the bit rate. If a remuxed 4K movie has a file size of 60 GB and runs 1,5 hours, the bit rate is obviously twice as high compared to a movie of the same file size that runs 3 hours. This means that twice as much movie data has to be transferred per second from your server (via WiFi in your case). That said, you will experience hiccups beyond a certain bit rate threshold, believe me. I have streamed A LOT of movies via WiFi (and I used high-speed WiFi equipment too) before I switched to cabling my setup and found that most 4K movies were playing without any problems as you said - but some didn't. After a while, I was able to determine my "personal threshold" for WiFi streaming quite exactly, and every movie with a bit rate beyond that threshold started to stutter at some point - mostly after a couple of minutes. That was the point when I changed to cabling because I'd like to stream ANY remux 4K movie without any problem.
I am pretty sure that you will find the same if you do some more testing.

May 4, 2018 - 3:17am
uspx's picture

hi guys, thanks a lot for your help! it actually makes sense indeed.

however, I tried to play the video on my MacBook Air 2013, and i can barely read the video, I hear the audio but the image is blocked.. so do you need like supercomputer to read a 4K video? by the way I use VLC to read the video. and the video was about 35 GB.

and I tried the legacy didin't help at all, neither NFS or AFS or SMB or UPNP , I tried all of them.

Feel free to ask anymore questions..

May 4, 2018 - 3:28am
Taucheranzug's picture

4K video is usually encoded using the HEVC (h.265) codec whereas 1080p (Full HD) video is mostly encoded with the h.264 codec (sometimes called "AVC"). The HEVC codec is much more effective - it offers a higher video quality while providing even better compression than its predecessor h.264. The downside is that it also needs more "firepower", meaning a higher computer performance, so that's where your problems probably come from. I'm pretty sure that a 2013 Mac (which is five years old now) is actually not enough to decode HEVC when using 4K resolution!

May 4, 2018 - 3:37am
uspx's picture

oh waw, so it's really to time change my computer I guess, I'll just wait to see what's happening in june and I will get a new one, thanks a lot for this information !

May 4, 2018 - 7:59am
4kdude's picture

I tried several ripped 4k movies which are like ~18 gb , but only one 60gb movie, I will try others and update later.
but this particular movie did work with no problems. Of course wired connection is always better , but for those who cant have it, dont lose hope (:

And as for playing 4k video on macbook 2013, you cant do it. But you can stream from it to ATV 4K , and there shouldnt be any problems.
Maybe its something with your network settings. Try to reconfigure the shared disk.

May 4, 2018 - 8:24am
Taucheranzug's picture

Yeah, like I wrote - the personal "threshold" for my WiFi connection was HEVC MKV files playing at approx 60 Mbit/s (even though my WiFi connection itself was the latest 5G tech with some 800 Mbit/s, but that doesn't really mean anything when streaming). Of course, this is just the OVERALL bit rate; obviously there are peaks that can go significantly higher.
But up to that overall bit rate, my movies played just fine. Then I had a couple of movie files that went beyond that (or maybe had too many heavy bit rate peaks) - and the hiccups started which is a total no-go for me.
After I switched to cable (using the NFS protocol by the way which is still more efficient than the latest SMB), I've never encountered a single stutter again.

May 8, 2018 - 1:58am
4kdude's picture

Hi promised to update, I put on 3 other 4k HEVC movies. 2 worked fine (watched them for like 20 minutes) , but the third experienced buffering every 10 minutes or so as Taucheranzug said will happen. Maybe there are more bit rate peaks in this movie ,or something like that, though I feel as if they are consistent and not based on the image.
Anyway very disappointing that it happens no matter how strong your WIFI connection is.
Definitely something that needs to be fixed by infuse team

May 8, 2018 - 2:36am
Taucheranzug's picture

This is not something that can be fixed by Infuse or anybody else, this is simply one of the major drawbacks when using WiFi. WiFi was never meant for handling constant data streams over longer periods with a high density. WiFi was meant for portable devices such as smartphones, tablets or notebooks that need small amounts of data on punctual occasions.
Latencies, interferences and other troubles lie in the nature of the WiFi concept (no matter how high the nominal speed of your gear is) and have to be accepted as such. For constant data transfers at high speeds and preferrably without any kind of disruption, there is no alternative to a wired connection.

May 8, 2018 - 3:08am
4kdude's picture
  Taucheranzug wrote:

This is not something that can be fixed by Infuse or anybody else, this is simply one of the major drawbacks when using WiFi. WiFi was never meant for handling constant data streams over longer periods with a high density. WiFi was meant for portable devices such as smartphones, tablets or notebooks that need small amounts of data on punctual occasions.
Latencies, interferences and other troubles lie in the nature of the WiFi concept (no matter how high the nominal speed of your gear is) and have to be accepted as such. For constant data transfers at high speeds and preferrably without any kind of disruption, there is no alternative to a wired connection.

I understand what you are saying, but in case you are right then any 4k streaming device out there (shield tv, chromecast ultra, atv4k and others) should come with a warning "4k hdr content will only work on ethernet cable" . And im pretty sure that if Ill approach any of this companies customer service and ask them will 4k hdr content work smoothly on WiFi, they will all say YES.
So Im not sure the infuse team cant do a better job here, Im not saying 100% 3hours movie with no buffering, but if buffering occurs every 5~10 minutes then I dont know it seems too much even if wifi was not meant for consistent working...

May 8, 2018 - 3:19am
Taucheranzug's picture

The thing is that 4K streaming is not always the same. Take Netflix for example. The bit rate of Netflix 4K movies or shows rarely goes beyond 20-25 Mbit/s (that's also their stated requirement for watching UHD material). Probably, you won't encounter any problems with your WiFi gear there. Same applies for amazon Prime of course.
The above mentioned hiccups occur at much higher bit rates. So it's safe for the companies to say that their devices ARE capable of playing back 4K material via WiFi - and as those companies are commercially orientated, they won't tell you that you can encounter any problems unless absolutely necessary (as we all know)....

May 8, 2018 - 9:25am
4kdude's picture
  Taucheranzug wrote:

The thing is that 4K streaming is not always the same. Take Netflix for example. The bit rate of Netflix 4K movies or shows rarely goes beyond 20-25 Mbit/s (that's also their stated requirement for watching UHD material). Probably, you won't encounter any problems with your WiFi gear there. Same applies for amazon Prime of course.
The above mentioned hiccups occur at much higher bit rates. So it's safe for the companies to say that their devices ARE capable of playing back 4K material via WiFi - and as those companies are commercially orientated, they won't tell you that you can encounter any problems unless absolutely necessary (as we all know)....

yes I get what youre saying, youre right..
im not such a tech savvy , especially when it comes to networks, so maybe my expectations were a bit too high.
I will try using Ethernet connection and hopefully this will solve the problem

May 8, 2018 - 9:35am
Taucheranzug's picture

...it WILL, believe me - as you long as you use Gigabit gear. You'll need a router with Gigabit LAN ports (watch out, many current superfast WiFi routers only have 100 Mbit/s LAN ports, check the documentation/technical data of the resp. device!) and you need Ethernet cables with at least category 5e (CAT.5e, CAT.5 is not enough) or above for a Gigabit connection! And your server must have a Gigabit network adapter too of course. Then you're all set!

May 8, 2018 - 2:30pm
4kdude's picture
  Taucheranzug wrote:

...it WILL, believe me - as you long as you use Gigabit gear. You'll need a router with Gigabit LAN ports (watch out, many current superfast WiFi routers only have 100 Mbit/s LAN ports, check the documentation/technical data of the resp. device!) and you need Ethernet cables with at least category 5e (CAT.5e, CAT.5 is not enough) or above for a Gigabit connection! And your server must have a Gigabit network adapter too of course. Then you're all set!

Ill give it a try. Thank you for your patience and willingness to help (:

June 7, 2018 - 7:18am
Esspee's picture

Please help, this is driving me crazy. I am getting intermittent spinning wheels, some movies are unwatchable. I’m using my time capsule and ATV4K hardwired.

At first thought it was a bit rate issue but then I was successfully able to stream a 70mbps movie but got the wheel every 2 minutes with a 50 mbps file. I’ve also tried smb and SFTP, but no nfs support.

Anybody know what could be the real issue? I’ve already reached out to support. They said to try the new update, but same thing.

June 7, 2018 - 7:30am
Taucheranzug's picture

Are you sure that your cabling meets at least the CAT.5e standard which is the minimum needed for Gigabit Ethernet connections. If it's only CAT.5 (100 MBit), then you could run into trouble as bit rate peaks in movie files can be significantly higher.
Of course, your router and switch(es) must also be Gigabit gear for the same reason if you want to stream 4K movies. Also, what do you mean by "no NFS support"? Infuse on the ATV has NFS support and as you are obviously using Mac hardware (Time Capsule), your server machine has NFS support as well! Try NFS, it's still much better/faster than any SMB version!

June 7, 2018 - 9:10am
Esspee's picture

Thank you, just to be safe I will buy a new 5e Cable and see if that helps. I didn’t know airport could do NFS, time to look into that. Thanks so much.

Edit: Apparently lots of sites say that time capsule does not support NFS. I wish there was a workaround. I’ll still test a new ethernet cable

June 7, 2018 - 9:16am
Taucheranzug's picture

Just a suggestion - don't buy CAT.5e anymore these days, treat yourself better and buy at least CAT.6 !

June 7, 2018 - 9:18am
Esspee's picture

Yeah I saw those on Amazon and was wondering if they are compatible. I’ll order one of those, thanks!

June 7, 2018 - 9:32am
NC Bullseye's picture
Kudos: 178
  Esspee wrote:

Yeah I saw those on Amazon and was wondering if they are compatible. I’ll order one of those, thanks!

Just for reference you may want to look at Monoprice also. I've had good luck with all of their cables.

I don't work for them, just a satisfied customer for years.

•Just Another Infuse User• •Not An Employee Of Firecore• •Certified Curmudgeon•

June 7, 2018 - 10:25am
Esspee's picture

Mono price cat6 cables on the way Grin

I am very excited, hoping for a seamless experience. I doubt bit rate has anything to do with it so I hope this is it.

June 8, 2018 - 6:32pm
Esspee's picture

Hi all, sad to report that the cables did not help. I guess the issue is bitrate Spikes, and I can’t do anything about that. Thank you guys for your help.

June 9, 2018 - 2:07pm
Magenof's picture
Kudos: 2

I got a TP-Link archer c5400 and apple tv 4k is connected to it with wifi, get 400mbits connection and can play all 4k (which are 80mbit/s) movies from my NAS. Definitely not an infuse problem but your network. Have you tried plex, smb2 or nfs connection?

June 9, 2018 - 4:53pm
Esspee's picture

Yes the problem might be that my connection caps at 100 down. Unfortunately that’s the maximum speed I can handle here. Hopefully it goes up soon.

June 22, 2018 - 7:45am
mattstevens's picture

Could someone please provide some guidance on what is most likely to yield the best results for me?

I have an Airport Time Capsule on one side of the room, and a Mac Mini, and a ATV4K on the other near my TV. It is difficult to run an ethernet cable between the Airport and the Mac Mini / ATV; but obviously the latter two devices can be connected via ethernet if this is advantageous. I can plug in external HD's to the Airport, or the Mac Mini.

I am trying to achieve playback of 4K Bluray Remux files in MKV format via the ATV4K. But, despite a few different configuration attempts, can only get the files to run for approximately 1 minute or so without buffering.

June 22, 2018 - 8:00am
Taucheranzug's picture

Forget ANY network setup that is not done with cables (CAT.5e at least, better CAT.6 or above) ONLY. Wireless at any component is simply not good enough for 4K because it's not only about top max speed but also about latencies and other issues. Second, use the NFS network protocol instead of any SMB version throughout your whole setup, all Macs and iMacs are capable of it. Infuse even supports it as an inbuilt feature.
You should see a huge improvement by just following these two rules!

June 22, 2018 - 5:16pm
mattstevens's picture

Many thanks for your response. Apologies if this is a silly question, but if I host the files on my Mac Mini on external HDD's connected to said computer, then connect the Mac and AT4K to the Mac Mini via ethernet with a Cat6 cable, will the ATV source content over the ethernet connection from the Mac, or will it try to access the drives over wireless (effectively then sending the files via wifi from the mac, to the router, then back to the ATV)?

June 22, 2018 - 9:42pm
movie lover's picture
Kudos: 10

The aTV4K will preference the ethernet connection over any WiFi connection automatically.

AppleTV4 (32 GB), tvOS 11.4, Infuse Pro 5.7.3, NFS streaming from Netgear ReadyNAS

June 23, 2018 - 9:31pm
mattstevens's picture

Thanks again all! All is working flawlessly now.

What appeared to be the problem was a combination of things... part of the cause was extremely low transfer rates from the old USB 2.0 HDD I was using was connected through a USB 2.0 hub. I moved the file to a USB 3.0 drive, and connected that drive direct to the USB port on the back of the Mac. I also upgraded to a cat 6a cable. These two things resolved buffering, but I was still getting choppy playback. The choppy playback issue was resolved by changing the input audio method on the TV to bitstream instead of PCM.

So now the setup is MKV Remux File on external HDD > USB 3.0 > Mac Mini > NFS share > Cat 6a > ATV4K > HDMI > Samsung Q9FN > HDMI > Yamaha Amp.