209 posts / 0 new / Last post
  July 18, 2018 - 10:20am
NC Bullseye's picture
Kudos: 253
  hunter13coleman wrote:

Unfortunately, this issue has reared its nasty head once again... After being stutter free since syncing my shares via Plex through Infuse, last night, all of my 4K HEVC content was buffering every 2-3 minutes of play time. The issue does not surface when streaming through the Kodi Plex application where 4K content plays without any buffering. More-so, there isn't any buffering when playing off of the same WiFi network when using an NVIDIA Shield playing the same 4K files.

Given the abilities of other hardware devices playing the content smoothly and another software on the same ATV4K playing the files smoothly, I'm guessing the issue is something with the latest Infuse updates. I am also running into the issue while testing the beta application.

Do you have the beta and the release versions of Infuse loaded at the same time?

•Just Another Infuse User• •Not An Employee Of Firecore• •Certified Curmudgeon•

July 21, 2018 - 2:43pm
chaosngn's picture
Beta Tester
Kudos: 10

I've had VERY little buffering if any coming from my Unraid dedicated server, but I did watch Ready Player One the other night x265 4K and it was buffering quite a bit towards the end.

July 23, 2018 - 8:37am
cesarleeds's picture
Kudos: 6

I´m afraid i´m also experiencing this annoying buffering.

Never happened to me before, running 300mpbs and CAT6 cables, NFS protocol, Infuse Pro 5.7.5 (2154), Synology server, worked like a charm until recently.

No hardware change, speedtest is fine.

My BD player works fine, however Infuse does not.

July 23, 2018 - 8:51am
Taucheranzug's picture
Kudos: 4

Which network protocol are you guys using? Any SMB version or NFS? As I wrote previously, NFS is a lot better/faster than SMB and it's natively supported by Infuse. Just use the freeware app "NFS Manager" (compatible with High Sierra) and you're all set. It's also possible to configure NFS via your Mac's Terminal, but that's an annoying and tedious process. With NFS Manager, you're good to go in minutes.

July 23, 2018 - 8:58am
cesarleeds's picture
Kudos: 6
  Taucheranzug wrote:

Which network protocol are you guys using? Any SMB version or NFS? As I wrote previously, NFS is a lot better/faster than SMB and it's natively supported by Infuse. Just use the freeware app "NFS Manager" (compatible with High Sierra) and you're all set. It's also possible to configure NFS via your Mac's Terminal, but that's an annoying and tedious process. With NFS Manager, you're good to go in minutes.

Been using NFS since day one Frown

I remember i had some buffering issues with Blade Runner 2049 (once i removed the bigger HD track they were solved), but that was like some months ago, and that was actually it.

Have tried some modest 30gb-45gb files now, Boss Baby and Life Of Pi, and i get buffering ramdomly, here and there, no clear reason on why it is happening.

July 23, 2018 - 9:03am
NC Bullseye's picture
  cesarleeds wrote:

I´m afraid i´m also experiencing this annoying buffering.

Never happened to me before, running 300mpbs and CAT6 cables, NFS protocol, Infuse Pro 5.7.5 (2154), Synology server, worked like a charm until recently.

No hardware change, speedtest is fine.

My BD player works fine, however Infuse does not.

I saw this in another thread where things had gone south recently. Seems that Synology may have recently released an update that requires a bit of after tuning.

https://firecore.com/comment/89113#comment-89113

You may want to try restarting your ATV as well as your router too.

July 23, 2018 - 4:04pm
Feahnor's picture
Beta Tester
Kudos: 2

I’m also getting buffering randomly since a few weeks. I have all my content in a NAS connected using NFS (transfer speeds of more than 70 MB/s) and in google drive. I have a very stable 1000/300 fiber connection so that’s not the problem.

The same movies that now have this problem were fine a few weeks ago. All of them are 4K HDR films played in 4K and 1080p TVs.

July 23, 2018 - 8:29pm
NC Bullseye's picture
  Feahnor wrote:

I’m also getting buffering randomly since a few weeks. I have all my content in a NAS connected using NFS (transfer speeds of more than 70 MB/s) and in google drive. I have a very stable 1000/300 fiber connection so that’s not the problem.

The same movies that now have this problem were fine a few weeks ago. All of them are 4K HDR films played in 4K and 1080p TVs.

Since this thread is over 8 months old with a few rev levels of Infuse since it started and over 180 posts have you tried any of the possible solutions discussed throughout the thread and if so, which ones so we can try to help narrow down the issue.

July 24, 2018 - 2:28am
Feahnor's picture
Beta Tester
  NC Bullseye wrote:

Since this thread is over 8 months old with a few rev levels of Infuse since it started and over 180 posts have you tried any of the possible solutions discussed throughout the thread and if so, which ones so we can try to help narrow down the issue.

Sorry, I forgot to tell I've tried every solution, but as I almost only use Google Drive nowadays most of them did not apply to my problem.

It only happens since ios 11.4 (or 11.4.1, I don't remember) and the last infuse update. If I try to play the same movie using kodi everything works fine. I'll try changing my ethernet cable but as it works fine with kodi I don't think that's the problem.

August 2, 2018 - 12:48pm
J_Cortes's picture
Kudos: 0

hi all, just bought a Samsung UHD TV and ATV4K, but I can get my BDMV files to play without buffering every 2 mins. I the ATV is connected to the withc with 5e cables, as well as my Seagate Central, both are Gigabit capable, reading this threat seems I need to try NSF as suppose to SMB, but I do no get the NSF option in the Infuse conf. menu. Is this something I need to configure from my windows PC? (i.e. managing the share from windows file explorer, windows options)
thanks.

August 2, 2018 - 12:51pm
NC Bullseye's picture
  J_Cortes wrote:

hi all, just bought a Samsung UHD TV and ATV4K, but I can get my BDMV files to play without buffering every 2 mins. I the ATV is connected to the withc with 5e cables, as well as my Seagate Central, both are Gigabit capable, reading this threat seems I need to try NSF as suppose to SMB, but I do no get the NSF option in the Infuse conf. menu. Is this something I need to configure from my windows PC? (i.e. managing the share from windows file explorer, windows options)
thanks.

Have you tried the different versions of SMB including the "Legacy" setting?

August 3, 2018 - 2:20am
Taucheranzug's picture

@J_Cortes:
Well, if your media server (whatever machine that is) supports shares via NFS (which for example all Apple machines do), then those NFS shares should turn up automatically in the "Shares" section of Infuse on your ATV, next to the SMB shares. To configure NFS shares and their permissions on a Mac, you can use the freeware app "NFS Manager" (just google it). Like I previously wrote, it actually IS possible to configure NFS via the Mac Terminal app, but it's much easier and faster with NFS Manager.
I don't know if Windows PCs support NFS at all.

Best

August 3, 2018 - 6:50am
J_Cortes's picture

My server is Seagate Central, it supports NFS, and last night I was about to begin trouble shooting (i.e. selecting Legacy SMB too, etc) decided to try the same (and only 4k HDR) movie before I move any setting, and boom.... the movie went like smoothly, I´m really puzzled by this, the other thing I remember from when the problem presented (buffering every other 2 mins, or more often) was that the ATV 4K was quite hot, not sure this is an indication that this 4k files are pushing the processor/RAM to the limit. any thoughts?
Julio.

August 10, 2018 - 11:14am
J_Cortes's picture

hi, I wanted to report on how this working for me. the SMB Auto setting was working intermittently, some times it would play just fine, other I get buffering every other minute, I selected Legacy and now works just fine. Hope this helps.

August 15, 2018 - 8:55am
ericywang's picture

Hi, I just would like to share my experiences.
SMB share just does not work well, even set to SMB legacy mode.
NFS network works (My NAS is Synology DS216play, and Apple TV 4K connects to NAS through 5G WIFI link), and settings for Synology NAS are:
a) control panel --> File Services --> NFS --> Enable NFS, Enable NFSv4.1 support, and Advanced Settings --> Read/Write packet size: both set to 32KB
b) control panel --> Network --> Traffic Control --> Create --> Select "Mac/Linux file sever (NFS)", and set Guaranteed Bandwidth to 20480, Maximum Bandwidth to 0, OK --> Enable the item and press "Save"

Then restart the NAS.

August 15, 2018 - 11:39am
kianrafiee's picture
Beta Tester
Kudos: 7
  timstephens24 wrote:

Try setting it up as an NFS Share on your iMac and see if you have the same problems (I'm guessing you're using SMB). You can use the following to creat an NFS share:
https://www.bresink.com/osx/NFSManager.html

This worked for me. I can now play 4K HDR REMUX files with ease! Just had to disable SMB and enable NFS on my Synology. Thanks so much!

August 18, 2018 - 1:01pm
rootMBX's picture
Kudos: 1

Still have this problem with 5.8.0 and SMB. Tried haneWIN NFS server, but movies would never start playing (spinning wheel) and metadata wouldn't complete downloading. Speed tests show that each of my wireless links to the main router get at least 300 Mbps (to internet)so bandwidth shouldn't be an issue.

Eventually, I spun up Server 2016 and setup the NFS server role; BDMVs load within 6 spins of the wheel now, while using SMB they took 10-15 and would buffer every 3-5 minutes. This 3-5 minutes seems to be a recurring theme in this thread.

A Windows user shouldn't have to go through such extreme measures. I hope you guys work out what's wrong with your SMB implementation because I'd really like to keep the app, it integrates well with tvOS, and, with a few more advanced controls to customize the Library (i've read some suggestions in the forums) it'll easily make the Apple TV the device of choice for NAS streamers.

A disclaimer should be posted. Instead of "4k HEVC BDMV supported" a footnote should be added that it is "not fully working with SMB at this time."

Ticket Number: 105703
Bug Report Code: NPQWV

August 18, 2018 - 8:45pm
atoulmin's picture
Beta Tester
  ericywang wrote:

Hi, I just would like to share my experiences.
SMB share just does not work well, even set to SMB legacy mode.
NFS network works (My NAS is Synology DS216play, and Apple TV 4K connects to NAS through 5G WIFI link), and settings for Synology NAS are:
a) control panel --> File Services --> NFS --> Enable NFS, Enable NFSv4.1 support, and Advanced Settings --> Read/Write packet size: both set to 32KB
b) control panel --> Network --> Traffic Control --> Create --> Select "Mac/Linux file sever (NFS)", and set Guaranteed Bandwidth to 20480, Maximum Bandwidth to 0, OK --> Enable the item and press "Save"

Then restart the NAS.

Thanks so much, this fixed all my buffering issues. So much better than using SMB

August 20, 2018 - 1:40am
Taucheranzug's picture

@rootMBX:
As said a couple of times in this thread - forget WiFi connections when dealing with 4K streaming. Even if you get your connection to work eventually, it is and always will be way too fragile to be reliable. believe me, I've been there. WiFi and 4K just don't go together. It's not only about max. possible bitrates, it's also about latencies and sustaining a strong connection. WiFi can't offer this as needed.
Change to cabling your gear (min for Gigabit connections is CAT5.e) and you'll see how stable a streaming connection can be. That will most likely solve all your problems.

August 20, 2018 - 3:20am
Feahnor's picture
Beta Tester
  Taucheranzug wrote:

@rootMBX:
As said a couple of times in this thread - forget WiFi connections when dealing with 4K streaming. Even if you get your connection to work eventually, it is and always will be way too fragile to be reliable. believe me, I've been there. WiFi and 4K just don't go together. It's not only about max. possible bitrates, it's also about latencies and sustaining a strong connection. WiFi can't offer this as needed.
Change to cabling your gear (min for Gigabit connections is CAT5.e) and you'll see how stable a streaming connection can be. That will most likely solve all your problems.

That’s not really true. With a good router and a strong 5g signal you can stream 4K no problem. I do it constantly at home. 2 ms of latency, almost 300 mbps sustained. You just need good hardware.

August 20, 2018 - 3:55am
Taucheranzug's picture

...that's exactly what I thought when my setup was initially WiFi based, just as yours. But wait until you see the "buffering wheel of death" for the first time when watching a movie.
It all depends on the bitrate. While you will probably never encounter any problems with streaming 4K movies via e.g. Netflix, you might very well get in trouble if you play a 2 hour / 70 GB movie in 4K off your computer/NAS because there, the bitrate is A LOT higher as in Netflix movies and requires an even stronger and more stable connection. Just try it with a couple of movies and report back here!

August 20, 2018 - 4:07am
Feahnor's picture
Beta Tester
  Taucheranzug wrote:

...that's exactly what I thought when my setup was initially WiFi based, just as yours. But wait until you see the "buffering wheel of death" for the first time when watching a movie.
It all depends on the bitrate. While you will probably never encounter any problems with streaming 4K movies via e.g. Netflix, you might very well get in trouble if you play a 2 hour / 70 GB movie in 4K off your computer/NAS because there, the bitrate is A LOT higher as in Netflix movies and requires an even stronger and more stable connection. Just try it with a couple of movies and report back here!

I only stream bdremux since some months ago. No problems here.

August 20, 2018 - 4:15am
Taucheranzug's picture

Wait unti you have three or four guests for a movie night and see what happens if all four are constantly using your WiFi for their WhatsApp and Facebook business while watching your movie.... ;-))
Just sayin, it's exactly this kind of things that can easily mess with your router's WIFI signal. There's nothing better and more stable than a solid cable wiring.

August 20, 2018 - 5:16am
Feahnor's picture
Beta Tester
  Taucheranzug wrote:

Wait unti you have three or four guests for a movie night and see what happens if all four are constantly using your WiFi for their WhatsApp and Facebook business while watching your movie.... ;-))
Just sayin, it's exactly this kind of things that can easily mess with your router's WIFI signal. There's nothing better and more stable than a solid cable wiring.

I know cable is better, but WiFi works fine with my setup even with people streaming Netflix or from plex at the same time. You just need a good router. My nas is connected to it by Ethernet, one Apple TV uses also Ethernet (is 30 cm away from the router), and the other Apple TV is at the bedroom streaming by WiFi using nfs. No problems at all. I had problems with my old router though.

August 20, 2018 - 5:30am
Taucheranzug's picture

...ah, ok, so you're using ethernet for all connections after all, with the exception of one ATV. That's of course cool.
Also, you made the right choice by using NFS. From what I hear in the forums (here as well), most people tend to have difficulties with SMB (which I experienced too).

August 20, 2018 - 6:38am
Feahnor's picture
Beta Tester
  Taucheranzug wrote:

...ah, ok, so you're using ethernet for all connections after all, with the exception of one ATV. That's of course cool.
Also, you made the right choice by using NFS. From what I hear in the forums (here as well), most people tend to have difficulties with SMB (which I experienced too).

I use Ethernet for the NAS and Apple TV, but all the other devices (four phones, two tablets, three computers, two consoles) are WiFi. No problems at all.

August 20, 2018 - 6:50am
Taucheranzug's picture

...yes, and that's exactly what WiFi was meant for - phones, notebooks, tablets etc.
For these things, I use WiFi too of course. But for nothing else. Consoles, TV sets, all computers of course, Apple TVs, satellite receivers etc. are all wired - everything that doesn't "move" ,-)

August 20, 2018 - 7:06am
Feahnor's picture
Beta Tester
  Taucheranzug wrote:

...yes, and that's exactly what WiFi was meant for - phones, notebooks, tablets etc.
For these things, I use WiFi too of course. But for nothing else. Consoles, TV sets, all computers of course, Apple TVs, satellite receivers etc. are all wired - everything that doesn't "move" ,-)

That’s was true for the original WiFi. Nowadays it’s three to six times as fast as Ethernet 100 if you have a good setup.