313 posts / 0 new / Last post
  November 27, 2019 - 12:51am
Pmh's picture
Pmh
Kudos: 2
  james wrote:

If you are seeing any issues in the 6.2.3 release, please send in a report from your device and open a support ticket so we can take a deeper look into what may be going on.

https://support.firecore.com/hc/en-us/articles...

Thanks!

Hi James, is the BETA on par with this release? My 6.2.3 still has the issue.

Samsung 78JU7500, Apple TV 4k, Sonos "5.1", Samsung K8500 UHD player (Wifi: Orbi)

November 27, 2019 - 3:18am
Taucheranzug's picture
Kudos: 6

...so we're seeing the buffering wheel of death STILL way more often than before?

I had it again yesterday while playing back an episode of "The Mandalorian". Running time approx. 30 mins, file size approx 6 GB, so definitely not even a very high bitrate. My ATV 4K is Gigabit cabled, connection type is NFS (to an iMac), so everything is set up perfectly.

Halfway through the episode, I got the buffering wheel. I restarted the ATV and the iMac, then everything went on just fine.

And this exact behaviour occurs WAY more frequently now than it used to! Though I can resolve it every time by restarting my devices, this alone is annoying. I didn't have to do that earlier, never had this kind of trouble, at least not to that extent.

Please help!

November 27, 2019 - 2:30pm
redhot38080's picture
Kudos: 0

Tested with infuse 6.2.3. Buffering still present.
My feedback:
Few seconds after having launched the movie, 20 seconds of buffering. Then few seconds after, once more long buffering. I continue to watch the movie 10 minutes without other buffering .

November 30, 2019 - 3:38am
redhot38080's picture

is the infuse team has understood and is working on the buffering issue that several customers are facing ? I noticed that there are several posts in the forum that discussing about quite same buffering issue.
Thx

November 30, 2019 - 8:25am
james's picture
Staff
Kudos: 1,206

We've been looking into a few reports in this area, and are working to track down what may be going on here. We haven't yet been able to replicate any of the issues here, so there may be some environmental factors that are contributing to this.

1. What type of videos are you seeing trouble with? (4K, 1080p, etc...)
  2. What type of device are you streaming from?
  3. Is this device connected to the router via Ethernet or Wi-Fi?
  4. Is your Apple TV connected via Ethernet or Wi-Fi?
  5. Does switching the Apple TV to Ethernet or Wi-Fi have any impact?
  6. What connection type are you using? (SMB, WebDAV, Plex, etc...)
  7. If using SMB, does adjusting the SMB version in Infuse have any impact?
  8. Was this previously working at some point in the past? (under an older version of Infuse or tvOS)
  9. Have you tried to play these same files on the same device with other apps?
  10. Can you send in a report (Settings > Submit Diagnostics) the next time this happens, and post the 5 digit code here?

Infuse 6 for iOS and Apple TV is now available!

November 30, 2019 - 11:52pm
redhot38080's picture

Hello,

Please find below my replies:

=> buffering issue only for 4K. When I start watching a 4K movie I met 2 or 3 long buffering (20s) steps then all seems working well without buffering.
    => streaming from Synology ds218+
    => Synology connected via Ethernet
    => Apple TV connected via WIFI
    => it s not possible to test Apple TV via Ethernet in my configuration.
    => I have tested SMB with different version , encryptions, ... and also with NFS
    => no impact
  8. Was this previously working at some point in the past? (under an older
    version of Infuse or tvOS)
    => difficult to say as I often watch hd movies and sometimes 4K movies. But TVOS 13.0 release could coincide
  9. Have you tried to play these same files with other apps?
    => yes tested with VLC and no buffering when I start watching a 4K movie.
    I have also checked on my Synology.
  10. Can you send in a report (Settings > Submit Diagnostics) the next time
    this happens, and post the 5 digit code here?
    => report send B7EZY

Thanks for the help

December 2, 2019 - 8:42am
J_Cortes's picture

hi all, sorry to hear many of you still having buffering problems, last night I just watched a 4k movie with no problem tough out the 120 mins or so... I will check tonight what infuse version I have, for sure 6.x; I upgraded to Infuse 6 some time early in the year, and I do not remember updating the app since then.

For those using wifi, again I strongly recommend using cable, or else perform test to check the stability not just rated speed.

December 2, 2019 - 11:59am
Pmh's picture
Pmh

So how do you check “stability”? Speed over WiFi is 250 Mbps, BTW - but perhaps this is not enough for Infuse’s buffering ahead...

Samsung 78JU7500, Apple TV 4k, Sonos "5.1", Samsung K8500 UHD player (Wifi: Orbi)

December 2, 2019 - 12:38pm
JarvisMeier's picture
Beta Tester
Kudos: 52
  Pmh wrote:

So how do you check “stability”? Speed over WiFi is 250 Mbps, BTW - but perhaps this is not enough for Infuse’s buffering ahead...

Are you streaming from a NAS or computer? If so download and run iperf3 on the desktop using the command:

iperf3 -s

Then using a laptop or other device capable of running iperf (Network Tools by HE works on iOS) perform a speed test to the IP of the server using the app or command line iperf3 using the command:

iperf3 -c ip.address.of.server -t 10 -P 10 (this will do 10 parallel transmissions for 10 seconds).

This will give you an accurate transmission rate from your wireless client to the server you have your media stored on.

December 2, 2019 - 1:30pm
J_Cortes's picture

Also, you may try coping a file from the NAS to your computer and see what is the real speed you are getting on wifi, do this at the time the buffering is presenting, so you consider potential (intermitent) interfernce with other wireless devices including neighboors. there are tools/apps you can use to see what channels/freq your router is operating, also to discover other potential near by devices https://www.ittsystems.com/wifi-analyzers-for-...

There is no easy path to troubleshot problematic wifi network, but trial and error, so you may want to swap devices, router and ATV to isolate bottle neck and find a robust solution.

December 2, 2019 - 1:33pm
Pmh's picture
Pmh

So what is your Mbps in WiFi?

December 2, 2019 - 1:40pm
JarvisMeier's picture
Beta Tester
  Pmh wrote:

So what is your Mbps in WiFi?

I’m using an Orbi Wi-Fi (RBK53) system running in AP mode connected to a Cisco gigabit switch. Wirelessly connected to the mesh wifi satellite I average 768Mbps

December 2, 2019 - 1:45pm
J_Cortes's picture

I do not use wifi, but wired, and interestingly, my router has only 1 port rated 1Gb, so by default my max speed is 100Mb, and with this I´m able to watch 4k without any buffering, my math tells me this speed is on the edge, a typical 4k movie will need transfer speeds of 50-80Mb, depending on codec used, if the container has more than one language audio, etc. So i know i´m on the edge, but this problem has not presented to me.

December 2, 2019 - 2:22pm
Cyterio's picture

I’ve been having issues with buffering also. It is effecting all of my Apple TV’s - which are all wired with CAT6 Ethernet.

Mine will play immediately when starting it and buffer for about 20-30 seconds about every 15-20 minutes. I’m generally playing my Blu-ray rips. Sometimes it errors out and sometimes it will buffer and continue playing the movie. I didn’t have this issue when I purchased this software, just recently over the last month has this started occurring.

I’ve tried the multiple versions of SMB with the same result on all. My movies are all housed on a Drobo 5C and connected to my PC/Network via USB C.

December 3, 2019 - 12:07am
redhot38080's picture

Same issue with my atv but I am using WiFi. I think we can stop troubleshooting network issue and we have to wait for a resolution from infuse team .

December 3, 2019 - 12:51am
Pmh's picture
Pmh
  JarvisMeier wrote:

I’m using an Orbi Wi-Fi (RBK53) system running in AP mode connected to a Cisco gigabit switch. Wirelessly connected to the mesh wifi satellite I average 768Mbps

Wow! 768Mbps over Wifi on your ATV? Via Orbi with Wifi I "only" have around 250Mbps - only wired I manage to reach >800Mbps...

So please let us know your settings in Orbi, your NAS and the ATV as this would solve all the wireless problems people have here.

December 3, 2019 - 5:12am
Cyterio's picture

If it’s any help, I also noticed when I get the spinning wheel, there is a buffer on the playback timeline. If I had to guess, it looks like it has about 20-30 minutes preloaded ahead even when it stalls out. Sometimes it recovers and sometimes it locks up.

December 3, 2019 - 6:20am
JarvisMeier's picture
Beta Tester
  Pmh wrote:

Wow! 768Mbps over Wifi on your ATV? Via Orbi with Wifi I "only" have around 250Mbps - only wired I manage to reach >800Mbps...

So please let us know your settings in Orbi, your NAS and the ATV as this would solve all the wireless problems people have here.

I’m not using the Orbi as a router as it sucks for it. Orbi satellite is in the same room as the Apple TV. Cisco switch handles internal L3 routing with vlans. Synology is connected with two Ethernet connections in an lacp trunk to give more bandwidth. Internet routing is handled by an ubiquiti ER-X.

Wifi speeds weren’t tested with the AppleTV as there is no iperf app and using a Speedtest app only tests internet performance and my pipe maxes out at 175Mbps. Testing was done with a MacBook Air and an iPhone XS.

December 3, 2019 - 7:04am
Pmh's picture
Pmh
  JarvisMeier wrote:

I’m not using the Orbi as a router as it sucks for it. Orbi satellite is in the same room as the Apple TV. Cisco switch handles internal L3 routing with vlans. Synology is connected with two Ethernet connections in an lacp trunk to give more bandwidth. Internet routing is handled by an ubiquiti ER-X.

Wifi speeds weren’t tested with the AppleTV as there is no iperf app and using a Speedtest app only tests internet performance and my pipe maxes out at 175Mbps. Testing was done with a MacBook Air and an iPhone XS.

But still the ATV is connected wirelessly? There's a good speedtest app for tvOS - maxes out at 1000Mbps. Try it to give the wifi speed you achieve there.

December 3, 2019 - 1:12pm
JarvisMeier's picture
Beta Tester
  Pmh wrote:

But still the ATV is connected wirelessly? There's a good speedtest app for tvOS - maxes out at 1000Mbps. Try it to give the wifi speed you achieve there.

Speedtest apps on tvOS only measure ISP performance. My internet connection is only 175Mbps therefore it won’t go over that. The speed test app has to support iperf to test throughput from the client to the NAS. Since the AppleTV can’t do that I have to use other devices. This gives me the speed of the network not the AppleTV.

December 3, 2019 - 1:13pm
JarvisMeier's picture
Beta Tester

I should also not I never get the buffering issues however I’m using Plex Server on my NAS instead of SMB or NFS because I have a mixed client network with Apple and Android devices and plex is the only way to share one library between them all.

December 3, 2019 - 2:53pm
Pmh's picture
Pmh
  JarvisMeier wrote:

I should also not I never get the buffering issues however I’m using Plex Server on my NAS instead of SMB or NFS because I have a mixed client network with Apple and Android devices and plex is the only way to share one library between them all.

You still haven’t confirmed one thing: is your ATV connected wirelessly or not?

December 3, 2019 - 4:14pm
JarvisMeier's picture
Beta Tester
  Pmh wrote:

You still haven’t confirmed one thing: is your ATV connected wirelessly or not?

Wirelessly.

December 3, 2019 - 10:44pm
GermanInfuser's picture
Beta Tester

Hello,
i have the same problem with nearly all files. Everything works fine before the last update. I had no problems with 50GB movies over wired ethernet on an nfs storage. Now i can not Play an 18GB 1080p h264 movie without buffering every 90-180 seconds. At the moment i can not use Infuse to watch anything.

December 3, 2019 - 11:03pm
Pmh's picture
Pmh
  james wrote:

We've been looking into a few reports in this area, and are working to track down what may be going on here. We haven't yet been able to replicate any of the issues here, so there may be some environmental factors that are contributing to this.

--> .mkv-files over 20Gb
    --> Synology 1018
    --> Ethernet
    --> WiFi (>200Mbps)
    --> Yes, "unfortunately" solves the problem (>700Mbps)
    --> SMB
    --> Tried all settings, no impact
  8. Was this previously working at some point in the past? (under an older version of Infuse or tvOS)
    ---> Started with bigger .mkv's only now
  9. Have you tried to play these same files on the same device with other apps?
    ---> VLC gives the same bad result when via WiFi
  10. Can you send in a report (Settings > Submit Diagnostics) the next time this happens, and post the 5 digit code here?
    ---> Did already last week

So - at least in my setup - Infuse needs a lot of Mbps to run without those buffering stops - for now I kept the ATV wired but would prefer WiFi...

December 4, 2019 - 3:01pm
Daniel16399's picture
  Cyterio wrote:

If it’s any help, I also noticed when I get the spinning wheel, there is a buffer on the playback timeline. If I had to guess, it looks like it has about 20-30 minutes preloaded ahead even when it stalls out. Sometimes it recovers and sometimes it locks up.

I get buffering in the last 20% of the movie, when the rest of the movie is already preloaded. Heck, sometimes I get the spinning wheel during the credits! This is clearly not just an internet connection issue.

December 4, 2019 - 4:42pm
lors's picture

Iam using Plex media server and windows media server but on both i get buffering issues for files with like 66mbits bitrate and HEVC.
Using Apple TV 4K + latest version of Infuse via WLAN with constant 90mbits down. I did not expect buffering with so much free bandwith left.

December 5, 2019 - 4:16am
Taucheranzug's picture
Kudos: 6
  lors wrote:

Iam using Plex media server and windows media server but on both i get buffering issues for files with like 66mbits bitrate and HEVC.
Using Apple TV 4K + latest version of Infuse via WLAN with constant 90mbits down. I did not expect buffering with so much free bandwith left.

a) You're forgetting that a movie with an average bitrate of 66 Mbit/s can easily peak to a punctual bitrate of over 100 Mbit/s
b) You're also forgetting that it's not only a constant WiFi downspeed that matters. Read this thread. It's also about latencies, interferences and overall stability of your WiFi connection - things that you won't notice without a real thorough connection quality check.

Best

December 5, 2019 - 5:54am
lors's picture
  Taucheranzug wrote:

a) You're forgetting that a movie with an average bitrate of 66 Mbit/s can easily peak to a punctual bitrate of over 100 Mbit/s
b) You're also forgetting that it's not only a constant WiFi downspeed that matters. Read this thread. It's also about latencies, interferences and overall stability of your WiFi connection - things that you won't notice without a real thorough connection quality check.

Best

Thanks for clarification. Iam getting approx. 50-100mbits more Bandwith in the next weeks, if this doesnt help i will investigate further.

December 5, 2019 - 7:46am
james's picture
Staff
Kudos: 1,206

Hello all -

We've been working to track down this issue, and determine why it is affecting some people and not others.

To this end, we're creating a new beta group which will have access to a few specific builds. This will include a new beta of 6.2.4 with some enhanced logging and a speed test option, as well as access to a few previous versions of Infuse (6.2.0 - 6.2.2). Testing these older versions will hopefully allow us to narrow down if this is a new issue, and if it was introduced in an update of Infuse or tvOS.

If you are interested in joining this group, please drop me a quick PM and I can get you set up.

Thanks!

Infuse 6 for iOS and Apple TV is now available!