28 posts / 0 new / Last post
#1  January 24, 2018 - 10:27am
bluskye's picture
Kudos: 14

Using latest TVOS 11.2.5 and Infuse

The double tap up/down in library that brings you all the way to top/bottom back? Can I disable this? its quite annoying as I double tap quickly to move up and down the list of media.

January 24, 2018 - 11:42am
NC Bullseye's picture
Kudos: 385

Yes, it's back but don't forget now you can now scroll much faster up and down lists by swiping up and down. It took me a bit to get used to it but now it's much faster finding an item by first double tapping to start at the beginning or end which ever is closer and then fast swiping till you're close then single taps to zero in on the one you want.

More info here.

https://firecore.com/forum/topic/19360

•Just Another Infuse User• •Not An Employee Of Firecore• •Certified Curmudgeon•

January 24, 2018 - 2:08pm
bluskye's picture
Kudos: 14

Bummer, I wish there was an option to disable this, its a bit annoying at least for me

January 24, 2018 - 2:14pm
NC Bullseye's picture

I did change the "Touch Surface Tracking" in my ATV options to "medium" or "slow" (don't remember which) from "fast" and that made it much easier for me to select files faster with less overshooting.

January 27, 2018 - 9:24pm
Tom1102's picture
Kudos: 8

+1 on having an option to disable this. I’m also a fast tapper and was so happy when it was removed on the previous version

January 28, 2018 - 9:00am
allineedis's picture
Kudos: 3

+1 , also liked the old way better. Even setting the touchpad setting to slow does not help, I am still jumping up and down. I am too old for this Wink . Seeing that this is a split for the community, why not make it optional?

March 2, 2018 - 12:26am
ahti's picture
Kudos: 0

Please reconsider this. This behaviour should be both an option and not the default. It is a mechanism that is found no-where else on tvOS and is very off-throwing, especially to users new to Infuse. It is especially frustrating because you loose all progress in navigating to the item you wanted to find.

April 16, 2018 - 8:15am
Lexizilla's picture

+1
an option to disable /enable the double tab function would be great. When I use my CEC remote from my TV, the Double Tab funtion is irritating.

April 16, 2018 - 9:34am
NC Bullseye's picture
  Lexizilla wrote:

+1
an option to disable /enable the double tab function would be great. When I use my CEC remote from my TV, the Double Tab funtion is irritating.

Are you referring to a Consumer Electronics Control remote? If so what is causing the problem with double tap? What code are you sending to cause it and can't you edit that code in the remote so it doesn't cause your issue?

April 16, 2018 - 6:10pm
Tom1102's picture
  NC Bullseye wrote:

what is causing the problem with double tap?

Having the double tap is a problem on its own 😄 haha

I thought I would get used to the double tap but I never did. What drives me crazy is that it’s the only Apple TV app with this “feature”, so it’s not normal browsing behavior for the device.
Apple implemented “fast scrolling” and not “the double tap” for a reason, and even when I want to go all the way to the bottom, I find myself using Apple’s “fast scrolling” feature instead of this double tap. Even if you have an enormous library, two or three swipes should get you all the way down... I really wished this double tap would be reconsidered

April 16, 2018 - 8:44pm
NC Bullseye's picture
  Tom1102 wrote:

I thought I would get used to the double tap but I never did. What drives me crazy is that it’s the only Apple TV app with this “feature”, so it’s not normal browsing behavior for the device.
Apple implemented “fast scrolling” and not “the double tap” for a reason, and even when I want to go all the way to the bottom, I find myself using Apple’s “fast scrolling” feature instead of this double tap. Even if you have an enormous library, two or three swipes should get you all the way down... I really wished this double tap would be reconsidered

I guess I didn't phrase my question very well, I was trying to figure out what kind of remote you were using and what you were pressing to mimic the double tap.

One other thing, some favorites and libraries can be WAY more than two or three swipes. Wink

April 18, 2018 - 12:47am
Lexizilla's picture
  NC Bullseye wrote:

Are you referring to a Consumer Electronics Control remote? If so what is causing the problem with double tap? What code are you sending to cause it and can't you edit that code in the remote so it doesn't cause your issue?

It is not a universal remote. It is the remote from my LG TV, that use the CEC standard. There is no option to change someting.
Also it is not a cec remote issue, because on Apple TV Remote you have the same funktion. Double tab to fasten and you will scroll to the end of the list...

April 18, 2018 - 3:55am
NikG's picture
Beta Tester
Kudos: 37
  Tom1102 wrote:

Sorry to ask but Why are you double tapping? When I want to swipe down I single tap, I’ve never double tapped by mistake. Trust me that double tap is great when you have a large library.

April 18, 2018 - 3:29pm
ahti's picture
  NikG wrote:

Sorry to ask but Why are you double tapping? When I want to swipe down I single tap, I’ve never double tapped by mistake. Trust me that double tap is great when you have a large library.

I my case, I most often will want to go to a movie/show that's like two or three rows down and a few to the left or right. I've found tapping the bottom edge of the trackpad repeatedly much faster and more accurate for these short distances than swiping, and I use it constantly on every tvOS app with the exception of Infuse, where I need to remind myself to leave a fair bit of pause between the taps to not completely loose my position. I encourage you to try tapping for "medium distances". It's really good.

I've also seen other users (used to traditional remotes) do the same thing in Infuse, only to get thrown off and frustrated by this "feature".

I also don't agree that the double-tap gesture is that big of an advantage over swiping for large libraries. Once the scrolling got into fast-scrolling mode, it took me 4 swipes to get through my music folder with 800 entries. In addition, the item you are searching for will rarely be on the bottom end, so the double-tap doesn't even get you where you want to go, in contrast to fast-scrolling where you can stop at any point, right where you want to go.

I think a good solution for finding the item you're searching for would be to 1. remove the double-tap and 2. show the first letters of items on the fast-scroll bar, like some other apps do.

April 18, 2018 - 4:10pm
NikG's picture
Beta Tester
Kudos: 37
  ahti wrote:

I my case, I most often will want to go to a movie/show that's like two or three rows down and a few to the left or right. I've found tapping the bottom edge of the trackpad repeatedly much faster and more accurate for these short distances than swiping, and I use it constantly on every tvOS app with the exception of Infuse, where I need to remind myself to leave a fair bit of pause between the taps to not completely loose my position. I encourage you to try tapping for "medium distances". It's really good.

I've also seen other users (used to traditional remotes) do the same thing in Infuse, only to get thrown off and frustrated by this "feature".

I also don't agree that the double-tap gesture is that big of an advantage over swiping for large libraries. Once the scrolling got into fast-scrolling mode, it took me 4 swipes to get through my music folder with 800 entries. In addition, the item you are searching for will rarely be on the bottom end, so the double-tap doesn't even get you where you want to go, in contrast to fast-scrolling where you can stop at any point, right where you want to go.

I think a good solution for finding the item you're searching for would be to 1. remove the double-tap and 2. show the first letters of items on the fast-scroll bar, like some other apps do.

Yeah the second option would be very welcomed in infuse having an A-Z scroll bar, would be so much easier and efficient to navigate to a movie in a large library, the double tap would then not be needed.

April 18, 2018 - 4:53pm
Tom1102's picture
  NC Bullseye wrote:

I guess I didn't phrase my question very well, I was trying to figure out what kind of remote you were using and what you were pressing to mimic the double tap.

One other thing, some favorites and libraries can be WAY more than two or three swipes. Wink

You phrased it perfectly fine, it’s just that I wasn’t the one with that special remote, I just wanted to add how much I’m hating this so called feature Smile

NikG wrote:

ahti couldn’t have wrote it any better. I have the same situation where I want to go just two or three rows down and I find myself all the way at the bottom.. I really find that pretty useless. If I open my Movies section and I want to go all the way down, I just touch once up and that’s it, I’m all the way down. I’m at around 1000 movies and fast scrolling three times gets me all the way down, it’s really not that complicated.. If I want to go somewhere in the middle, I fast swipe to the middle and then I tap a few times and search for what I’m looking for.. most times accidentally tapping too fast and going all the way down.. frustrating.
When I asked my parents why they weren’t using infuse anymore their answer was “it’s broken, it keeps jumping up and down on the movies list”. After I explained how this double tapping works they started using it again, but they’re used to fast clicking on a traditional remote, like ahti said.

ahti wrote:

Couldn’t agree more, remove the double tap and add letters. Let us fast scroll through the alphabet, get to the letter we want, and then tap as much and as fast as we want without going to the last item

(This next quote is from another post)

james wrote:

Just to confirm, based on user feedback this was removed in 5.6.1.

With the addition of fast scrolling the double-tap action became less needed and was often times problematic.

James first removed the double tap based on negative feedback and then added it back on another update because some people wanted it back...
If the community is so divided on this ”feature” (I consider it a bug) why not just have an option to enable/disable it?

July 4, 2018 - 12:50pm
allineedis's picture

Any chance still that this will be optional. Going nuts with this double tap thing. Pretty please!

June 4, 2019 - 1:12pm
james's picture
Staff
Kudos: 1,207

Infuse 6.0.8 includes updated navigation controls, which are more consistent with other apps.

1. Double-tap to jump to top/bottom has been removed.
  2. The option to scroll 'over-the-top' and 'under-the-bottom' remains. This means you can quickly get to the bottom by tapping up from the top row, or get to the top by tapping down from the bottom row.

Infuse 6 for iOS and Apple TV is now available!

June 4, 2019 - 5:39pm
msanchez1536's picture
Kudos: 1
  james wrote:

Infuse 6.0.8 includes updated navigation controls, which are more consistent with other apps.

2. The option to scroll 'over-the-top' and 'under-the-bottom' remains. This means you can quickly get to the bottom by tapping up from the top row, or get to the top by tapping down from the bottom row.

Thank you! This was always very confusing when handing my Siri Remote to a guest.

June 4, 2019 - 10:32pm
allineedis's picture

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

June 5, 2019 - 9:43pm
NeonKitten's picture
Kudos: 2
  james wrote:

1. The option to scroll 'over-the-top' and 'under-the-bottom' remains. This means you can quickly get to the bottom by tapping up from the top row, or get to the top by tapping down from the bottom row.

This is a superb solution - it solves the double-tap problem for us who navigate via quick taps, and retains the quick top/bottom functionality without the need for a toggle in options.

Thinking outside the box there James, nicely done Smile Thanks!

June 12, 2019 - 7:06pm
MojoMarner's picture

Any chance of bringing back the way double tap used to work and make it optional? This new method drives me crazy and isn't as useful for me at all.

June 12, 2019 - 8:39pm
NC Bullseye's picture
  OldSchoolHeel wrote:

Any chance of bringing back the way double tap used to work and make it optional? This new method drives me crazy and isn't as useful for me at all.

I would think that it's doubtful that it will resurface but you'll probably get more traction if you start a new thread in the suggestions section with your request since this thread is marked solved as to the original post.

Have you used the fast scroll? It really covers some ground if you want to get to a section of a long list.

June 13, 2019 - 12:24pm
MojoMarner's picture
  NC Bullseye wrote:

I would think that it's doubtful that it will resurface but you'll probably get more traction if you start a new thread in the suggestions section with your request since this thread is marked solved as to the original post.

Have you used the fast scroll? It really covers some ground if you want to get to a section of a long list.

Thanks for the reply. I have tried the fast scroll, but it requires me to already be on either the top or bottom of the list. It creates more steps than the way things previously functioned.

June 13, 2019 - 12:49pm
NC Bullseye's picture
  OldSchoolHeel wrote:

Thanks for the reply. I have tried the fast scroll, but it requires me to already be on either the top or bottom of the list. It creates more steps than the way things previously functioned.

The fast scroll will work anywhere in the list not only top or bottom. That is when you swipe up and down on the right hand side of the touch pad instead of in the middle. You'll get a row of dots on the right of the list and it will scroll very fast. I can cover a 700+ list in just a few seconds of swiping on the right side.

June 13, 2019 - 3:05pm
MojoMarner's picture

I didn't know that feature existed. I can't get it to work with my remote cover on, but it works with the cover off. The cover is more important to me than that feature, so I'll keep it off.

Do you know of a way to quickly scroll through TV show episodes? I have some things that have hundreds of episodes per season and it takes forever to get to the newer episodes. Thanks.

June 13, 2019 - 3:28pm
NC Bullseye's picture
  OldSchoolHeel wrote:

I didn't know that feature existed. I can't get it to work with my remote cover on, but it works with the cover off. The cover is more important to me than that feature, so I'll keep it off.

Do you know of a way to quickly scroll through TV show episodes? I have some things that have hundreds of episodes per season and it takes forever to get to the newer episodes. Thanks.

I have a silicon cover on my remote too and it does take a few extra swipes on the touch pad for me to get it in the turbo blur mode but it's still doable. I just swipe with the edge of my thumb on the right side against the silicone That should work when you have a list of episodes too.

June 13, 2019 - 6:02pm
MojoMarner's picture
  NC Bullseye wrote:

I have a silicon cover on my remote too and it does take a few extra swipes on the touch pad for me to get it in the turbo blur mode but it's still doable. I just swipe with the edge of my thumb on the right side against the silicone That should work when you have a list of episodes too.

I think my cover may obscure more of the touch surface than yours. If I swipe on the top through episodes, it will go quickly, but when there are 334 in a group, it still takes awhile. That's why I wish a grid view was available for episodes in a season. I'm just a small town kid with big city dreams of the return of double tap and grid view in episodes.