30 posts / 0 new / Last post
#1  January 31, 2018 - 2:34am
vinz2k's picture
Kudos: 1

Hello,

When i try the mp4 or ts files included in the Masciola HDR Test patterns (Black Clipping), the results are totally wrong, all the bars are visible instead of being hidden.

The problem is not appearing with VLC or MrMC app or also Plex.

It looks like that the SDR Masciola Patterns are working correctly on Infuse, so it looks like it's a HDR problem.

The problem is discussed here also :
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/39-networking-media-servers-content-stream...

Here is the link of the Test patterns :
https://diversifiedvideosolutions.com/dvs_products.html#ultrahd_solutions

Can you resolve this issue ?

Thanks for your help,

Regards,

January 31, 2018 - 11:44am
james's picture
Staff
Kudos: 605

This will be resolved with the HDR related changes coming in 5.6.8.

https://firecore.com/forum/topic/13575

Infuse 5.7 with our all-new Plex integration is now available

February 1, 2018 - 12:47am
vinz2k's picture

Great thanks,

Do you know when it will be released ?

Regards

February 1, 2018 - 7:26am
HakanSengoz's picture
  vinz2k wrote:

Great thanks,

Do you know when it will be released ?

Regards

+1

February 13, 2018 - 11:10am
vinz2k's picture

Hello,

It’s a bit better (cause it’s still not a mess anymore) but there’s still some bars missing.

Like this :
http://i67.tinypic.com/246rl1x.jpg

Same on MrMC.

Do you think you could resolve this issue ?

Regards,

March 5, 2018 - 2:51am
jowi's picture
Kudos: 0

I'm experiencing the same issue, using latest Infuse app. Using the Masciola HDR black clipping 02 pattern, all bars below 86 are crushed. Changing brightness or adjusting gamma has no effect.

March 5, 2018 - 10:02am
james's picture
Staff

We're investigating a few option for resolving this, and hope to have more news soon.

Thanks.

March 5, 2018 - 11:11am
knightdriver's picture

I'm also experiencing the same issue, using latest Infuse pro app and latest Masciola HDR test patterns. Black clipping 01 or 02 pattern, all bars below 86 are crushed. Changing brightness or adjusting gamma has no effect. All bars below 86 never blink no matter how high you set brightness.

Hoping you guys are working on and close to a fix for this issue.

Thanks,

Knight.

March 5, 2018 - 11:19am
james's picture
Staff
  knightdriver wrote:

I'm also experiencing the same issue, using latest Infuse pro app and latest Masciola HDR test patterns. Black clipping 01 or 02 pattern, all bars below 86 are crushed. Changing brightness or adjusting gamma has no effect. All bars below 86 never blink no matter how high you set brightness.

Hoping you guys are working on and close to a fix for this issue.

Thanks,

Knight.

We have a good handle of what is going on here, but it seems tvOS 11.3 introduces a new set of related issues which we are working to resolve before a permanent fix for this can be implemented.

Stay tuned.

March 20, 2018 - 7:45am
mrrobotoplus's picture
Kudos: 5

Just for reference only. It seems that on 11.3 the airplay cms and grayscale accuracy is messed up. Tested with calman and mobile forge.

March 24, 2018 - 4:35am
mrrobotoplus's picture

James, i made new measurements for SDR with TED patterns and everything is way off in Infuse (grayscale, gamma, cms). The patterns are fine on my B7 on all other HDMI inputs an internal player. Also the Fire Stick TV with MobileForge is confirming this. Are you working on this topic already with the new beta, any improvements? Is the issue TvOS Beta related?

March 24, 2018 - 6:20am
mrrobotoplus's picture

Made some new tests and to me seems that YCbCr is broken. RGB High (which in ATV means 16-235) is the most accurate in 11.3 Beta. Infuse still crush blacks.

April 8, 2018 - 6:34am
BangoO's picture
Kudos: 3

Any idea when this is going to be fixed ?

April 9, 2018 - 2:09am
vinz2k's picture

+1 Smile

April 10, 2018 - 9:35am
BangoO's picture

James, can you please confirm you're aware of the crushed blacks issue when converting HDR sources to SDR ?
And if there is a fix coming ?

Thx !

April 10, 2018 - 10:26am
james's picture
Staff

Quick update.

We had a fix for this ready to roll out in February, but it had nasty side effects in 11.3 as unfortunately Apple introduced a number of bugs related to HDR that were not present in the 11.2.x versions.

We have reported these issues to Apple, and are hoping they get them fixed. We're giving them the benefit of the doubt, as it seems they had a fixed timeline to wrap-up and release 11.3 so it would sync up with their iPad event, and these issues may not have been a priority. Now that this deadline has passed, we remain optimistic they will work to address some of the bugs introduced in 11.3 - as many of these issues also affect some of Apple's native apps.

Once this happens, we'll be able to release an update that improves black level handling for both HDR and SDR screens.

April 10, 2018 - 11:02am
mrrobotoplus's picture
  james wrote:

we'll be able to release an update that improves black level handling for both HDR and SDR screens.

In SDR not only black levels. Also RGB reproduction needs to be addressed.

April 10, 2018 - 11:08am
james's picture
Staff
  mrrobotoplus wrote:

In SDR not only black levels. Also RGB reproduction needs to be addressed.

We've also reported this issue to Apple.

Right now, Apple has very tight control over how HDR video playback is handed on the Apple TV, and as a result we're a bit limited in how we can work around issues present in tvOS.

Rest assured, these are a high-priority for us and we're doing everything we can to resolve what's going on.

April 10, 2018 - 11:59am
mrrobotoplus's picture

Cool, I hope to switch back to Infuse soon.

April 10, 2018 - 12:43pm
BangoO's picture

Thank you James.

May 11, 2018 - 1:50pm
BangoO's picture

Hi James, a month has passed, any idea when this will be fixed ? Thx !

May 16, 2018 - 9:35am
IMWhizzle's picture
Beta Tester

Has anyone tested the video quality with the forced 4K Dolby Vision setting?

May 16, 2018 - 12:42pm
ix400's picture
Beta Tester

I am also very interested in getting this fixed. Picture quality is the most important thing!

May 17, 2018 - 8:55am
jowi's picture
Kudos: 0
  IMWhizzle wrote:

Has anyone tested the video quality with the forced 4K Dolby Vision setting?

What setting is that, where can we find it? In Infuse or in Apple TV? I've browsed through the menu's but can't find it. Or is it some beta setting?

May 17, 2018 - 8:57am
IMWhizzle's picture
Beta Tester

If you own a Dolby Vision tv this option can be found in the video settings of the Apple TV menu.

May 17, 2018 - 1:59pm
BangoO's picture

Can we please stick to the original problem which is HDR sources on SDR TVs...
James, any news from Apple ?

May 17, 2018 - 2:52pm
knightdriver's picture

The original issue is actually HDR test patterns on HDR TVs/projectors not SDR TVs.

Knight.

May 18, 2018 - 12:30am
BangoO's picture

Well it is the same issue affecting all TVs, HDR or not.

May 18, 2018 - 1:39am
astirling's picture
Kudos: 9

I must admit to starting to get a bit concerned about the direction Infuse is heading. It seems that the focus is more on convenience and interface features now rather than picture quality. Crushed blacks and questionable upscaling have existed for quite some time and the message we’re getting is that they’re way down the priority list. Looking at the upcoming features in the suggestions forum, I can honestly say that there is not a single thing that interests me in any release up to and including 5.8. I’m starting to get more and more interested in MrMC now. The interface is dreadful by comparison but development seems pretty rapid and I have more confidence they’ll pay attention to image quality. Infuse looks incredibly slick but it counts for nothing if the video quality is poor / innacurate.

May 18, 2018 - 1:55pm
james's picture
Staff
  astirling wrote:

I must admit to starting to get a bit concerned about the direction Infuse is heading. It seems that the focus is more on convenience and interface features now rather than picture quality. Crushed blacks and questionable upscaling have existed for quite some time and the message we’re getting is that they’re way down the priority list. Looking at the upcoming features in the suggestions forum, I can honestly say that there is not a single thing that interests me in any release up to and including 5.8. I’m starting to get more and more interested in MrMC now. The interface is dreadful by comparison but development seems pretty rapid and I have more confidence they’ll pay attention to image quality. Infuse looks incredibly slick but it counts for nothing if the video quality is poor / innacurate.

I can understand your feelings, though if I am honest, all Apple TV apps are affected in the same way by the two issues you mentioned. These are more or less limitations of the current APIs made available by Apple, as opposed to shortcomings of the apps themselves. With regard to the items described in this thread, we rolled out a number of HDR related improvements in February as part of 5.6.8 and did in fact have a working fix in place in our beta pipeline to resolve the remaining issues with near black clipping. However, with the release of tvOS 11.3 Apple introduced a number of HDR related bugs which unfortunately rendered this fix unusable. We have, of course, reported these bugs to Apple, but have no idea if or when they plan to resolve them.

In spite of this, we have worked to address the most widely reported HDR-related issue Apple introduced in 11.3 (HDR > SDR conversion) and were able to release an update within a matter of days after 11.3 was released (AFAIK, this is something that has still not been addressed in other competing apps). We are also still working towards our plan B option to address the near black clipping issues described above. The work required on 11.3+ is quite a bit more involved and time consuming, but rest assured it's something we have not forgotten about.

Stay tuned! Smile

PS - We generally don't include details on playback improvements or fixes in the schedule for upcoming releases, as these are ongoing and don't always have a fixed timeline for getting completed. What you see in the roadmap tends to be predictable features which we are able build a schedule around, and each release gets a number of playback improvements as a bonus.