444 posts / 0 new / Last post
  April 2, 2018 - 8:19am
iMrMuckle's picture
Offline
Joined: Dec 2011
Posts: 4
Kudos: 0

I have Infuse Pro on an Apple TV and found my commercial movies all have a added noise to the soundtrack. Anyone else with this problem after updating Apple TV software?

  April 2, 2018 - 11:44am
steve.waite's picture
Beta Tester
Offline
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 124
Kudos: 17
  james wrote:

There are a few issues we were hoping Apple would resolve before the release of 11.3, and unfortunately this is one of them.

We're looking into potential workarounds for this, but for now you can set to Infuse to Auto and the Apple TV to either Dolby Digital or Best Quality Available to at least have audio working. In fact, this will allow you to have higher quality audio in some cases.

Anyone going to try 11.4 beta to see if fixed.

  April 2, 2018 - 11:48am
sputnik65's picture
Beta Tester
Offline
Joined: Nov 2015
Posts: 15
Kudos: 1

Just updated to today's tvOS 11.4 beta... still NO JOY with DTS :-((((

  April 2, 2018 - 12:03pm
cesarleeds's picture
Offline
Joined: Dec 2017
Posts: 43
Kudos: 6

Are we sure this is a bug and not intentional?

I mean, iTunes movies have only Dolby Digital at best, maybe Apple doesn't want some other apps like Infuse providing something Apple itself actually does not.

It is so weird that such a gigantic company with vast resources can't fix something so simple these days that makes you think maybe they want it this way.

  April 2, 2018 - 12:07pm
sputnik65's picture
Beta Tester
Offline
Joined: Nov 2015
Posts: 15
Kudos: 1
  cesarleeds wrote:

Are we sure this is a bug and not intentional?

I mean, iTunes movies have only Dolby Digital at best, maybe Apple doesn't want some other apps like Infuse providing something Apple itself actually does not.

It is so weird that such a gigantic company with vast resources can't fix something so simple these days that makes you think maybe they want it this way.

Apple is well known to be stubborn.

  April 2, 2018 - 2:52pm
Ciesto's picture
Beta Tester
Offline
Joined: Dec 2015
Posts: 2
Kudos: 0

Hey!
Everyone with an Apple TV 4 (the one with an USB-C) you can still downgrade to tvOS 11.2.6. Right now Apple hasn't stop signing this version, but I think this will happen this week.
I just restored my Apple TV 4 to tvOS 11.2.6 to get DTS working again.

  April 3, 2018 - 12:32am
ionutm80's picture
Offline
Joined: Apr 2018
Posts: 21
Kudos: 2

No DTS sound here also and I have 2 Apple TV 4k boxes and I'm an Infuse Pro user. Only DD 5.1 possible right now (I don't have a receiver capable of handling LPCM). Hope you guys have a workaround soon.

  April 3, 2018 - 1:54am
Taucheranzug's picture
Offline
Joined: Dec 2017
Posts: 65
Kudos: 4

....that's exactly my situation! Firecore, please help!

  April 3, 2018 - 6:57am
HattiHitit22's picture
Offline
Joined: Feb 2018
Posts: 16
Kudos: 2

I bought Apple TV because of these features in Infuse. Now what can I do.

  April 3, 2018 - 7:01am
iMrMuckle's picture
Offline
Joined: Dec 2011
Posts: 4
Kudos: 0

Firecore sent me this and it helped for now:

We're looking into potential workarounds for this, but for now you can set to
Infuse to Auto and the Apple TV to either Dolby Digital or Best Quality
Available to at least have audio working. In fact, this will allow you to
have higher quality audio in some cases.[/quote]
Anyone going to try 11.4 beta to see if fixed.

  April 3, 2018 - 7:02am
Taucheranzug's picture
Offline
Joined: Dec 2017
Posts: 65
Kudos: 4

...you can wait and hope that the Firecore guys release a new Infuse version with a DTS workaround soon - that's what they announced!

  April 3, 2018 - 8:07am
NikG's picture
Beta Tester
Online
Joined: Jan 2018
Posts: 229
Kudos: 36
  HattiHitit22 wrote:

I bought Apple TV because of these features in Infuse. Now what can I do.

Lodge a complaint to Apple since they broke it not firecore

  April 3, 2018 - 8:20am
Taucheranzug's picture
Offline
Joined: Dec 2017
Posts: 65
Kudos: 4

Maybe Apple broke it but I'm confident that Firecore will find a solution and implement it way faster than Apple might change DTS passthrough back to what it was... James already announced a workaround...

  April 3, 2018 - 1:19pm
HattiHitit22's picture
Offline
Joined: Feb 2018
Posts: 16
Kudos: 2
  NikG wrote:

Lodge a complaint to Apple since they broke it not firecore

I know, FireCore is not responsible for this.

  April 3, 2018 - 1:33pm
ronald.vapelt's picture
Offline
Joined: Dec 2015
Posts: 50
Kudos: 8

But hopefully Firecore can figure out a workaround before Apple fixes this; my guess is Firecore can fix it quicker than Apple can provide a fix!

  April 3, 2018 - 1:36pm
dgsgc's picture
Offline
Joined: Jan 2016
Posts: 62
Kudos: 8

Same issue here.

I understand firecore aren’t at fault here but as it stands we aren’t getting the features that we are paying for.

Suggesting we stick with DD 5.1 isn’t really what they have sold.

Hopefully they can figure out a workaround as a priority.

  April 4, 2018 - 2:25am
Taucheranzug's picture
Offline
Joined: Dec 2017
Posts: 65
Kudos: 4

...especially as they are still advertising Infuse's DTS capabilities on the front page of their web site... definitely no offense against the Firecore guys, I still love their product and their commitment, but that passthrough workaround should really be implemented quickly now....!

  April 4, 2018 - 2:30am
cesarleeds's picture
Offline
Joined: Dec 2017
Posts: 43
Kudos: 6

They fixed HDR for SDR tvs, be patient guys, surely they will come up with a solution soon.

We can still use Auto settings in the meantime, not like we have lost sound.

  April 4, 2018 - 2:31am
Sizhai81's picture
Offline
Joined: Apr 2018
Posts: 9
Kudos: 0

I thought the Firecore member should show the solution timeline

  April 4, 2018 - 2:45am
Taucheranzug's picture
Offline
Joined: Dec 2017
Posts: 65
Kudos: 4

...that would indeed help a lot! Something like an E.T.A. ....

  April 4, 2018 - 2:53am
ionutm80's picture
Offline
Joined: Apr 2018
Posts: 21
Kudos: 2

Guys let's all calm down and let Firecore work their magic tricks. I have never seen before such a reaction speed from other software providers. Chapeau bas for this! If it is doable they will probably come out with a solution soon.

  April 4, 2018 - 10:10am
james's picture
Staff
Offline
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 12,955
Kudos: 1,033

We're still looking into what options we have here, though it seems this may be an issue that can only be solved from Apple's end.

FWIW, with Infuse set to Auto and the Apple TV set to Best Quality Available, you'll be able to get the same quality (or better in some cases) audio. Infuse is certified for both Dolby and DTS audio, and the process through which audio is decoded from a compressed format (AC3, DTS, TrueHD, DTS-HD MA, etc...) to an uncompressed format (PCM) is consistent whether this takes place on the Apple TV or another certified device like an AV receiver. In fact, decoding compressed audio and outputting PCM is one of the tests that takes place during the certification process.

A bit more info on how this works can be found here.

https://support.firecore.com/hc/en-us/articles/217735707

Infuse 6 for iOS and Apple TV is now available!

  April 4, 2018 - 10:46am
dgsgc's picture
Offline
Joined: Jan 2016
Posts: 62
Kudos: 8

Sounds like a bit of a cop out when there are plenty of people who can’t use the pcm method you suggest but could before the update.

Again I’m not blaming you directly but this feels like an easy out, hope to be proved wrong and you deliver a work around ASAP.

  April 4, 2018 - 10:51am
james's picture
Staff
Offline
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 12,955
Kudos: 1,033
  dgsgc wrote:

Sounds like a bit of a cop out when there are plenty of people who can’t use the pcm method you suggest but could before the update.

Again I’m not blaming you directly but this feels like an easy out, hope to be proved wrong and you deliver a work around ASAP.

We've not had any reports of audio issues with Infuse set to Auto after updating to 11.3.

Can you provide a bit more info on what you're referring to?

Infuse 6 for iOS and Apple TV is now available!

  April 4, 2018 - 10:57am
dgsgc's picture
Offline
Joined: Jan 2016
Posts: 62
Kudos: 8

The same issue as the original poster and others. My reciever isn’t capable of lpcm so am only getting DD5.1, used to get DTS before the upgrade.

Your suggestion just results in an extremely loud hiss when trying to run it how it was pre update.

Obviously it’s not a major issue dealing with DD5.1 while it’s fixed but your posts sound like a pre-emptive excuse as to why we can’t get DTS as we did before. Sorry if I am misunderstanding you or doing something wrong.

  April 4, 2018 - 10:59am
cesarleeds's picture
Offline
Joined: Dec 2017
Posts: 43
Kudos: 6
  james wrote:

We're still looking into what options we have here, though it seems this may be an issue that can only be solved from Apple's end.

FWIW, with Infuse set to Auto and the Apple TV set to Best Quality Available, you'll be able to get the same quality (or better in some cases) audio. Infuse is certified for both Dolby and DTS audio, and the process through which audio is decoded from a compressed format (AC3, DTS, TrueHD, DTS-HD MA, etc...) to an uncompressed format (PCM) is consistent whether this takes place on the Apple TV or another certified device like an AV receiver. In fact, decoding compressed audio and outputting PCM is one of the tests that takes place during the certification process.

A bit more info on how this works can be found here.

https://support.firecore.com/hc/en-us/articles/217735707

James, you say we will get same quality or even better in some specific cases.

Can you name those?, I guess you are saying that for this type of format, XXX, you will get better audio quality.

And, is there any case where we will get worst quality?

  April 4, 2018 - 11:00am
dgsgc's picture
Offline
Joined: Jan 2016
Posts: 62
Kudos: 8
  james wrote:

We've not had any reports of audio issues with Infuse set to Auto after updating to 11.3.

Can you provide a bit more info on what you're referring to?

Just to be absolutely clear.

Prior to update I used passthrough and got DD5.1 or DTS depending on file.

Now if I use passthrough I get hiss.

Switch to auto and I get DD5.1 for everything

  April 4, 2018 - 11:06am
james's picture
Staff
Offline
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 12,955
Kudos: 1,033
  dgsgc wrote:

The same issue as the original poster and others. My reciever isn’t capable of lpcm so am only getting DD5.1, used to get DTS before the upgrade.

Your suggestion just results in an extremely loud hiss when trying to run it how it was pre update.

Obviously it’s not a major issue dealing with DD5.1 while it’s fixed but your posts sound like a pre-emptive excuse as to why we can’t get DTS as we did before. Sorry if I am misunderstanding you or doing something wrong.

Here's a bit of background on how the Auto feature works.

With Infuse set to Auto, it will send PCM to the Apple TV. The Apple TV then uses some fancy logic to determine the capabilities of the device your Apple TV is connected to. If it supports 8 channels of PCM, then that's what the Apple TV will send. If it only supports 2 channels (like some TVs), then it will send 2. If it doesn't support PCM, but supports Dolby then it will send the audio as Dolby instead of PCM.

  cesarleeds wrote:

James, you say we will get same quality or even better in some specific cases.

Can you name those?, I guess you are saying that for this type of format, XXX, you will get better audio quality.

And, is there any case where we will get worst quality?

Yes, Passthrough has always been limited to 6 channels of lossy 16-bit audio. This isn't an issue if all your content has normal AC3 or DTS, but if you are playing an 8 channel 24-bit lossless format like TrueHD or DTS-HD MA with Passthrough enabled, Infuse would send the lower-quality lossy audio via Passthrough. Enabling Auto/Best Quality Available allows Infuse to send the full lossless audio track. This is similar to how Apple's apps handle higher quality audio tracks like E-AC3, as described here. https://developer.dolby.com/blog/dolby-audio-support-on-apple-tv/

There are no cases where Auto would deliver lower quality audio.

Infuse 6 for iOS and Apple TV is now available!

  April 4, 2018 - 11:14am
dgsgc's picture
Offline
Joined: Jan 2016
Posts: 62
Kudos: 8

That is the issue, my situation and I assume the other people affected by this have older receivers where I have to use an HDMI splitter to send an optical connection to my reciever.

I assume the HDMI splitter is being detected as only capabale of DD5.1 which is all I get.

Before I could use passthrough which always sent whatever signal was on the video.

  April 4, 2018 - 11:21am
james's picture
Staff
Offline
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 12,955
Kudos: 1,033
  dgsgc wrote:

That is the issue, my situation and I assume the other people affected by this have older receivers where I have to use an HDMI splitter to send an optical connection to my reciever.

I assume the HDMI splitter is being detected as only capabale of DD5.1 which is all I get.

Before I could use passthrough which always sent whatever signal was on the video.

That makes sense, and it's a good example of why we like to provide options for how audio is sent from Infuse.

Rest assured, we're doing everything we can on our end to get this resolved. We're also waiting to hear back from Apple in response to our bug report, and maybe they will have some guidance which will prove to be useful.

Infuse 6 for iOS and Apple TV is now available!