444 posts / 0 new / Last post
  May 15, 2018 - 4:13am
iFrog's picture
Kudos: 2
  astirling wrote:

I think it’s worth recognising that the Apple TV is primarily desigmed as a means of playing iTunes movies. And it’s hard to argue that it does a decent job of that. Furthermore, for ‘most’ users this is a non issue as they can still get DTS in all its glory by allowing it to be output with absolutely no loss of quality via PCM. If you’re primarily looking for a streaming box there are better options out there at far cheaper prices. The vero 4k does pretty much everything you need it to at half the price for example.

That was my primary reason for getting Apple TV(s) actually, so I could have access to my iTunes content on the TV(s). The fact that it supports apps now, and allows other providers support is a nice bonus feature, and one that I also waited for. Before the Apple TV 4 came out, I was either using a ROKU for streaming, or the apps on a Blu-ray Disc player.

I still use DLNA for locally streaming movies because typically the codecs I want support for, are natively supported.

I agree with the comment, that if your setup supports it multi channel PCM works well with lossless audio. For people who can't do PCM, I also agree that there are other defies out there that work better in those setups.

May 16, 2018 - 5:36am
veracocha's picture
Kudos: 0

What did say Apple Customer service for this issue ? Will they say it will fix next update or They say nothing ? , please inform the users !!!, If it not fix future , I'll sell my Apple TV 4k !

May 16, 2018 - 2:22pm
astirling's picture
Beta Tester
Kudos: 37

Apple TV does not officially support DTS passthrough so you’re unlikely to get any comment from Apple.

May 16, 2018 - 5:26pm
simon_lefisch's picture
Kudos: 9

Seems like peeps are expecting Apple to implement DTS/DTS-HD passthru. I very highly doubt this will happen anytime soon, if at all. Apple TV has never supported that format. My guess would be that most peeps watch their movies via iTunes purchases. Since DTS/DTS-HD has a higher bite rate (not to mention it holds both DTS/DTS-HD audio tracks in one stream), this will make the video file significantly larger and could cause a slow down when streaming. My guess is that Apple is trying to avoid that so users have a better streaming experience.

Local Server:
Q9550 quad-core CPU
8GB RAM
250GB SSD (CentOS 7)
2x 4TB HDD (RAID 1, media drive)

VPS:
SSD Nodes (CentOS 7)
GSuite (media drive)

Clients:
2015 Shield TV (16GB)
Apple TV 4K
Fire TV (2nd gen)

May 17, 2018 - 12:07am
raquo's picture
Kudos: 1
  simon_lefisch wrote:

Seems like peeps are expecting Apple to implement DTS/DTS-HD passthru. I very highly doubt this will happen anytime soon, if at all. Apple TV has never supported that format. My guess would be that most peeps watch their movies via iTunes purchases. Since DTS/DTS-HD has a higher bite rate (not to mention it holds both DTS/DTS-HD audio tracks in one stream), this will make the video file significantly larger and could cause a slow down when streaming. My guess is that Apple is trying to avoid that so users have a better streaming experience.

Hmm, you know they used to have DTS passthrough before right? That's what the thread is about.

May 17, 2018 - 12:16am
astirling's picture
Beta Tester
Kudos: 37

Never officially though. Infuse creators used some workaround to implement it and this route has been stopped. You won’t find any mention of dts on any Apple TV marketing or spec sheets.

May 17, 2018 - 3:15am
iFrog's picture

It's possible they used a Jailbreak type solution, to get passthrough working. I noticed on the main page of the Firecore forums there is a jailbreak section as well as the ATVFlash firmware which was for the older Apple TV boxes. Makes me wonder if InFuse was doing something to access the. audio hardware directly. The Hardware would support anything the software passed it, and in this case TVOS being the limiting factor here.

I mentioned jailbreaking because I remember a few years back, that was pretty big for iOS, but then apple started patching stuff that made it possible, and from what I see on a regular basis, is that it's slowed down.

Either way, I think it's up to Apple now to allow things to continue, or not, and Firecore can't do much until there. When I first came to investigate the problem, I had a feeling it was on Apple's side, but since I had just installed both TVOS, and a new update to InFuse, I wanted to be sure.

May 17, 2018 - 8:00am
simon_lefisch's picture
  raquo wrote:

Hmm, you know they used to have DTS passthrough before right? That's what the thread is about.

Are you saying Apple TV used to support DTS pass-thru or Infuse? I'm pretty sure Apple TV never supported DTS. Infuse may have by using a "hack" like another post says, but as far as I know ATV never had it. That was the main reason as to why I never purchased an ATV in the past.

Local Server:
Q9550 quad-core CPU
8GB RAM
250GB SSD (CentOS 7)

VPS:
SSD Nodes (CentOS 7)
GSuite (media drive)

Clients:
2015 Shield TV (16GB)
Apple TV 4K
Fire TV (2nd gen)

May 23, 2018 - 2:22am
Nmeunier's picture
Beta Tester

Something makes me doubt, that Apple will put back passthru soon : they want to include in the soundtrack, the system sound of the OS. Confused

Because I bought a Atmos and DTS:X PreAmp, I decided to buy something else... so now I have a Minix U9-H, that works perfectly (autoframe rate, HDR, Passthru...), but I hope for a solution in the ATV4k Confused

ATV4k 32 - Panasonic 55EZ950 OLED - Synology 1815+ - Ubuntu Server

May 23, 2018 - 9:10am
simon_lefisch's picture

While pass-thru does not work on my ATV (just static), I am able to get HD audio with the "auto" setting in Infuse and "Best Possible" setting in the ATV settings.

Local Server:
Q9550 quad-core CPU
8GB RAM
250GB SSD (CentOS 7)

VPS:
SSD Nodes (CentOS 7)
GSuite (media drive)

Clients:
2015 Shield TV (16GB)
Apple TV 4K
Fire TV (2nd gen)

May 29, 2018 - 8:58am
iFrog's picture

This article likely suggests that TVOS 11.4 will also be released today. Which means we'll know for sure what direction Apple plans to take passthrough: https://www.macrumors.com/2018/05/29/ios-11-4-...

May 29, 2018 - 10:14am
steve.waite's picture
Beta Tester
Kudos: 17

I think we already know their take on it, By not fixing it since 11.3 beta 1, makes it pretty clear.....to me.

May 29, 2018 - 10:38am
iFrog's picture
  steve.waite wrote:

I think we already know their take on it, By not fixing it since 11.3 beta 1, makes it pretty clear.....to me.

I realize that's how it looks, and personally I've moved on from the issue. However, there needs to be a written statement from both Apple, and Firecore confirming the feature is gone. Then, the "Passthrough" features needs to be removed from InFuse as it is a dead feature now.

Since the feature still exists, and there is no official statement yet, it still gives hope it will be fixed. At least for the sake of those here who really put a lot of stake into the feature, and who were really upset demanding a resolution, at least a statement, and removal of the feature would be a good closure (If Apple has no intent on fixing it.)

May 29, 2018 - 1:10pm
toegelr's picture

Passthrough is not a Dead Feature ! My AppleTV 4K is on 11.2.1 and Passthrough ist working VERY WELL !
I have turn off automatic updates. When Firecore remove Passthrough i update Infuse also not.

May 29, 2018 - 1:29pm
iFrog's picture
  toegelr wrote:

Passthrough is not a Dead Feature ! My AppleTV 4K is on 11.2.1 and Passthrough ist working VERY WELL !
I have turn off automatic updates. When Firecore remove Passthrough i update Infuse also not.

Your setup is a minority at this point I'm sure, and if you're able to use the feature that's good. There are far more others though that have updated, and a few turned off automatic updates, and apple STILL forced the update on their boxes. In that regard "Passthrough" has become a dead feature as people who have upgraded, been forced to upgrade, or even buy an Apple TV now, can't use the feature anymore. That's why I suggested that if Apple has indeed killed off passthrough, Firecore remove the feature, so any new person who buys the app doesn't expect it to work. Not everyone has a setup who can do multi channel PCM, so they need to be considered as well.

May 29, 2018 - 1:48pm
ronald.vapelt's picture
Kudos: 8

I can confirm passthrough still doesn't work on the new Apple tvOS 11.4 Frown
I keep on hoping that it will return.. I want my best DTS sound back!!

May 29, 2018 - 1:52pm
toegelr's picture

Maybe on any new AppleTV 4K Boxes ist not 11.3 or newer, my AppleTV 4K that i change at Apple has 11.2.1 and 11.3 was out for weeks !
"You" must be careful on setting up a new box and turn off the automatic update immediately. And yes Apple forces to upgrade your Box, but i click off the Messages to upgrade every Day Frown

May 29, 2018 - 2:00pm
serif83's picture

Apple has nothing to solve. He keeps us around on firecore

May 29, 2018 - 2:07pm
iFrog's picture
  serif83 wrote:

Apple has nothing to solve. He keeps us around on firecore

What do you mean by that? The issue is on Apple's end, not Firecore's. The same issue broke the same feature on MrMC, which isn't even related to Firecore. Two apps from two separate developers had the same feature broken with the same update.

May 29, 2018 - 2:09pm
simon_lefisch's picture

While I'm totally cool with using my Shield TV to get DTS audio (natively thru the Plex app), it would be cool for ATV to have DTS/DTS-HD pass thru so I can keep everything in the Apple eco-system.

Local Server:
Q9550 quad-core CPU
8GB RAM
250GB SSD (CentOS 7)

VPS:
SSD Nodes (CentOS 7)
GSuite (media drive)

Clients:
2015 Shield TV (16GB)
Apple TV 4K
Fire TV (2nd gen)

May 29, 2018 - 2:18pm
iFrog's picture
  simon_lefisch wrote:

While I'm totally cool with using my Shield TV to get DTS audio (natively thru the Plex app), it would be cool for ATV to have DTS/DTS-HD pass thru so I can keep everything in the Apple eco-system.

That was my main frustration, never being able to settle on one device to do everything. It doesn't matter if it's Apple, or another vendor. they all have hangups, and shortcomings, and they all have their strong points as well.

May 29, 2018 - 2:49pm
james's picture
Staff
Kudos: 1,113

Unfortunately it doesn't seem like Apple got around to addressing this in 11.4, but on the bright side we should see the first build of tvOS 12 next week. Who knows...maybe they'll surprise us with full passthrough and Atmos. 🤞

Infuse 6 for iOS and Apple TV is now available!

May 29, 2018 - 6:12pm
iFrog's picture
  james wrote:

Unfortunately it doesn't seem like Apple got around to addressing this in 11.4, but on the bright side we should see the first build of tvOS 12 next week. Who knows...maybe they'll surprise us with full passthrough and Atmos. 🤞

Putting aside iTunes compatibility, when it comes to local streaming of my movies. It really doesn't matter to me who's hardware and software I use at this point, as long as it's stable, and has the features I need.

June 1, 2018 - 12:24am
racer's picture

Anyone tried beta 11.4.1 ?

June 1, 2018 - 2:00am
iFrog's picture
  racer wrote:

Anyone tried beta 11.4.1 ?

Haven't tried 11.4.1, but last night when I tested with the latest release of Infuse, I got different behavior when setting the audio output to Passthrough. For HD Audio, I still got PCM 5.1, and for standard DD 5.1 I got the usual static. Previously both through passthrough gave some sort of white noise / static.

June 4, 2018 - 5:25pm
iFrog's picture

Well, today, Apple confirmed ATMOS coming in iOS 12, so we'll just have to wait and see how it will affect the settings in InFuse when all is said and done, and it's released.

June 5, 2018 - 1:32am
Taucheranzug's picture
Kudos: 4

...maybe even earlier when the first beta versions will be released...

June 5, 2018 - 5:12am
iFrog's picture
  Taucheranzug wrote:

...maybe even earlier when the first beta versions will be released...

Well, developers should have gotten the first release yesterday, so I'm sure Firecore will be in touch at some point.

June 5, 2018 - 10:43am
itimpi's picture
Kudos: 112

There has already been comments from developers that the ATMOS support is not in this first developer beta.

I AM A USER - NOT A FIRECORE EMPLOYEE

June 5, 2018 - 11:08am
Taucheranzug's picture
Kudos: 4

...yes, but it's still possible that Apple is changing the audio routines on a wider scale and that these first changes will already appear in the first Beta - who knows.