413 posts / 0 new / Last post
  June 5, 2018 - 11:16am
iFrog's picture
Kudos: 2
  Taucheranzug wrote:

...yes, but it's still possible that Apple is changing the audio routines on a wider scale and that these first changes will already appear in the first Beta - who knows.

It also depends on how Apple is going to deliver ATMOS. Streamers such as ROKU deliver ATMOS from services such as VUDU over lossy audio instead of lossless Dolby TrueHD. From what I understand true lossless ATMOS is encoded as extensions of TrueHD, which require the stream to be sent as a Bitstream to the receiver vs PCM to work as the capability of the receiver to decode ATMOS is what Dolby relies on to enable the ATMOS soundtrack.

June 19, 2018 - 12:32am
ronald.vapelt's picture
Kudos: 5

Any news on this? There is a new beta release available and I am really hoping that things will change for the better and be able to use the best audio I can get on my equipment (i.e. passthrough/DTS). This is the ONE reason I have chosen Infuse!!

June 19, 2018 - 12:46am
astirling's picture
Beta Tester
Kudos: 27

The guys behind MrMC claim that Apple has told them this isn’t coming back.

June 19, 2018 - 3:01am
Taucheranzug's picture
Kudos: 4

Yep, in the meantime I've come to the same opinion. It seems that the DTS passthrough option was more like a "hack" (or an "exploit") that was cleverly used by Firecore - but not exactly a feature that was offered to every developer by Apple. Who knows, maybe Apple even wants to make sure that all developers are being offered the same possibilities in tvOS without the need to develop such a "hack" in order to be able to exclusively offer a feature to their customers. Bears a certain logic although I'd really like to see my DTS sign being lit again....

June 19, 2018 - 3:38am
iFrog's picture
  Taucheranzug wrote:

Yep, in the meantime I've come to the same opinion. It seems that the DTS passthrough option was more like a "hack" (or an "exploit") that was cleverly used by Firecore - but not exactly a feature that was offered to every developer by Apple. Who knows, maybe Apple even wants to make sure that all developers are being offered the same possibilities in tvOS without the need to develop such a "hack" in order to be able to exclusively offer a feature to their customers. Bears a certain logic although I'd really like to see my DTS sign being lit again....

I'll be curious to see what options come to developers after the release of iOS 12. Especially with ATMOS support being baked in. I don't have ATMOS capabilities personally, but I know it's something people have been looking forward to. By the way, is DTS going to disappear any time soon? (talking new stuff here ) It seems like whenever I buy a new 4k disc, it's a Dolby TRueHD track, and the DTS HD track, or standard DTS isn't present anymore. Granted, Standard blu-rays seem to still have a lossless, and standard DTS track. It feels like things are moving more toward Dolby consistency, due to ATMOS support. At least that's how it looks.

June 19, 2018 - 3:45am
Taucheranzug's picture

As far as I know, DTS HD tracks always have a standard DTS core by definition for downward compatibility.

June 19, 2018 - 3:56am
iFrog's picture
  Taucheranzug wrote:

As far as I know, DTS HD tracks always have a standard DTS core by definition for downward compatibility.

They do, my question was, do you think the DTS format has numbered days going forward. It seems like, at least for UHD content Dolby is becoming more standard, on steaming DTS is rarely (if ever used), I was saying, that The last DTS track I've seen on a new purchase, was with my blu-ray of "Sherlock GnomeS". Other titles purchased on UHD, or even blu-ray the lossless track has been TrueHD, with NOT DTS option. So, will the DTS vs Dolby debate even be relevant in a year or two. And will DTS turn into a legacy format for older content. I'm simply asking based on what I've seen on the new releases I've gotten, and the formats people seem to be embracing now.

June 19, 2018 - 4:23am
Nmeunier's picture
Beta Tester
  iFrog wrote:

They do, my question was, do you think the DTS format has numbered days going forward. It seems like, at least for UHD content Dolby is becoming more standard, on steaming DTS is rarely (if ever used), I was saying, that The last DTS track I've seen on a new purchase, was with my blu-ray of "Sherlock GnomeS". Other titles purchased on UHD, or even blu-ray the lossless track has been TrueHD, with NOT DTS option. So, will the DTS vs Dolby debate even be relevant in a year or two. And will DTS turn into a legacy format for older content. I'm simply asking based on what I've seen on the new releases I've gotten, and the formats people seem to be embracing now.

On the contrary, many UHD disc have DTS:X or DTS MA tracks instead of Dolby Atmos tracks and all movie have the two mix available for exemple Interstellar. You have more DTS tracks outside the US, because it cost less (Dolby asks for a license), so Starwars 8 is in DTS MA here in french and Atmos un English.

ATV4k 32 - Panasonic 55EZ950 OLED - Synology 1815+ - Ubuntu Server

June 19, 2018 - 9:26am
simon_lefisch's picture
Kudos: 7
  Taucheranzug wrote:

Youre still getting the HD audio stream thru Infuse. The only difference is that Infuse is decoding to PCM vs the receiver decoding the bitstream. Granted its a bummer that native pass-thru isnt implemented on the ATV, but at least you can still get the HD audio stream.

Local Server:
Q9550 quad-core CPU
8GB RAM
250GB HDD (CentOS 7)
2x 4TB HDD (RAID 1, media drive)

VPS:
SSD Nodes (CentOS 7)
GSuite (media drive)

Clients:
2015 Shield TV (16GB)
Apple TV 4K
Fire TV (2nd gen)

June 19, 2018 - 9:34am
Taucheranzug's picture

No, not me, as my receiver is not able to process multichannel PCM input. It only works with DTS and Dolby Digital (via SPDIF) as it is an older model. So for me, the only choice is to set my ATV to "Dolby Digital". That way DTS 5.1 gets converted to DD 5.1 which my receiver can process. Yeah, it might be the right time to invest in a newer sound system, I know Wink

June 19, 2018 - 9:39am
iFrog's picture
  Nmeunier wrote:

On the contrary, many UHD disc have DTS:X or DTS MA tracks instead of Dolby Atmos tracks and all movie have the two mix available for exemple Interstellar. You have more DTS tracks outside the US, because it cost less (Dolby asks for a license), so Starwars 8 is in DTS MA here in french and Atmos un English.

Being from the US, especially with blu-ray I've seen more DTS MA as well, and even a good number of the (FEW) UHD titles I have as well. I think what's really made me question is, there seems to be a crowd raving about ATMOS, and internet streaming services typically don't use DTS anything. Then with the last couple UHD, and one or 2 standard blu-rays have a TrueHD track. So, I wasn't sure which direction things were moving, or if they're even really changing at all.

June 19, 2018 - 9:47am
iFrog's picture
  Taucheranzug wrote:

No, not me, as my receiver is not able to process multichannel PCM input. It only works with DTS and Dolby Digital (via SPDIF) as it is an older model. So for me, the only choice is to set my ATV to "Dolby Digital". That way DTS 5.1 gets converted to DD 5.1 which my receiver can process. Yeah, it might be the right time to invest in a newer sound system, I know Wink

My Sound bar systems give me standard DD, and DTS over optical / coaxial. For HDMI, it adds the ability for standard DD, DTS, DD+, and PCM 5.1. So I'm only missing the ability to had DTS MA and TrueHD sent as a direct bitstream. They really work well for a smaller environment such as an apartment (like me), and they don't demand a dedicated room by requiring wires to go everywhere etc. The bar(s) have the front 3 speakers, and there is a wireless sub that a left and right surround speaker plugs into for a true 5.1 setup.

June 19, 2018 - 11:10am
james's picture
Staff
Kudos: 779
  astirling wrote:

The guys behind MrMC claim that Apple has told them this isn’t coming back.

They are likely referring to a note from the VLC devs in which they claim Apple told them passthrough wasn't supported. I've seen the original VLC email (and Apple's response) and can tell you with absolute certainty they were asking the wrong question, and as a result the Apple rep simply directed them to submit a feature request.

As of today, our bug report with Apple is still open. We've submitted full technical details about the issue, and Apple asked for additional info in a follow-up - which seems to indicate the issue was introduced inadvertently, and they have at least some interest in fixing it.

If/when Apple actually intends to fix this is unclear, but at this point there is no reason to believe this change was intentional. It's also possible this change is part of larger, more sweeping audio related changes coming in tvOS 12, so we'll have to see what Apple introduces in the betas coming later this summer.🤞

Infuse 5.8 with live preview scrubbing is now available

June 19, 2018 - 1:20pm
sputnik65's picture
Beta Tester
Kudos: 1
  james wrote:

They are likely referring to a note from the VLC devs in which they claim Apple told them passthrough wasn't supported. I've seen the original VLC email (and Apple's response) and can tell you with absolute certainty they were asking the wrong question, and as a result the Apple rep simply directed them to submit a feature request.

As of today, our bug report with Apple is still open. We've submitted full technical details about the issue, and Apple asked for additional info in a follow-up - which seems to indicate the issue was introduced inadvertently, and they have at least some interest in fixing it.

If/when Apple actually intends to fix this is unclear, but at this point there is no reason to believe this change was intentional. It's also possible this change is part of larger, more sweeping audio related changes coming in tvOS 12, so we'll have to see what Apple introduces in the betas coming later this summer.🤞

Hey James! Are you guys playing around the new tvOS 12 beta 2 that landed today? I gave it a test to see if by a miracle was able to get again DTS and no joy 😞.. Although there are new surround settings with the ATMOS and "convert format" options.

Attachments: 
  June 20, 2018 - 12:31am
ronald.vapelt's picture

Thanks for your update, James. We keep our hopes up!

June 20, 2018 - 9:56am
james's picture
Staff
Kudos: 779
  sputnik65 wrote:

Hey James! Are you guys playing around the new tvOS 12 beta 2 that landed today? I gave it a test to see if by a miracle was able to get again DTS and no joy 😞.. Although there are new surround settings with the ATMOS and "convert format" options.

Yes, there is also an Atmos thread where this is being discussed as well.

https://firecore.com/forum/topic/20983

Infuse 5.8 with live preview scrubbing is now available

June 20, 2018 - 10:06am
sputnik65's picture
Beta Tester
  james wrote:

Yes, there is also an Atmos thread where this is being discussed as well.

https://firecore.com/forum/topic/20983

Awesome thanks!

June 27, 2018 - 11:02am
steelkeys's picture

I just installed the iOS 12 beta.. now even Dolby digital gives a static noises when going with passthrough. So now it's DTS and Dolby if using passthrough in the infuse sound setting..

I could surely use the lcpm or whatever it's spelled.. but if I use that.. my sound gets all fuzzy.. all talking primarely is on the right front speaker..

June 27, 2018 - 11:14am
iFrog's picture
  steelkeys wrote:

I just installed the iOS 12 beta.. now even Dolby digital gives a static noises when going with passthrough. So now it's DTS and Dolby if using passthrough in the infuse sound setting..

I could surely use the lcpm or whatever it's spelled.. but if I use that.. my sound gets all fuzzy.. all talking primarely is on the right front speaker..

DD has given static since TVOS 11.3 when using passthrough. The way to get around that is leaving inFuse set to auto and changing in the TVOS settings from auto to dolby digital 5.1.

June 27, 2018 - 11:50am
simon_lefisch's picture

I would leave Infuse set to auto and tvOS set to Best Quality Available (or whatevs it is). That way Infuse decodes the audio and sends it LPCM.

In the case of @steelkeys, note that tvOS is a beta so your bound to have issues. I'm sure sound works fine if you were on tvOS 11.4 (or whatevs the current build is).

Local Server:
Q9550 quad-core CPU
8GB RAM
250GB HDD (CentOS 7)

VPS:
SSD Nodes (CentOS 7)
GSuite (media drive)

Clients:
2015 Shield TV (16GB)
Apple TV 4K
Fire TV (2nd gen)

June 27, 2018 - 11:53am
steelkeys's picture
  simon_lefisch wrote:

I would leave Infuse set to auto and tvOS set to Best Quality Available (or whatevs it is). That way Infuse decodes the audio and sends it LPCM.

In the case of @steelkeys, note that tvOS is a beta so your bound to have issues. I'm sure sound works fine if you were on tvOS 11.4 (or whatevs the current build is).

The last issue in my post is not related to beta but overall an issue I'm seeing..

June 27, 2018 - 11:59am
simon_lefisch's picture
  steelkeys wrote:

The last issue in my post is not related to beta but overall an issue I'm seeing..

So you had the issue when you were on the official release? Strange since I have those settings on my ATV4K and have no probs with voices being on the right front speaker.

Local Server:
Q9550 quad-core CPU
8GB RAM
250GB HDD (CentOS 7)

VPS:
SSD Nodes (CentOS 7)
GSuite (media drive)

Clients:
2015 Shield TV (16GB)
Apple TV 4K
Fire TV (2nd gen)

July 10, 2018 - 4:32am
veracocha's picture
Kudos: 0

Any news for passthrough ? , people focus atmos but passthrough is more important for me ...

July 11, 2018 - 1:49am
ronald.vapelt's picture

For me too!

July 11, 2018 - 3:31pm
Iano's picture
Kudos: 0

And me...

July 17, 2018 - 3:28am
PhenixS1970's picture

passthrough (bitstream) would be great as it enables using the Dolby/DTS up-mixers for immersive audio (for not native Atmos/DTS-X streams).

Edit 'post in error as upmixing works on PCM as well' Wink

July 17, 2018 - 3:33am
ronald.vapelt's picture

I wonder if there is any update from the Infuse team and/or Apple on the bug report that has been filed by Infuse?

August 1, 2018 - 7:03am
Deschain's picture
  ronald.vapelt wrote:

I wonder if there is any update from the Infuse team and/or Apple on the bug report that has been filed by Infuse?

Obviously not....... Frown

August 8, 2018 - 1:04pm
saji2020's picture

Even though infuse or atv is converting DTS to DD ... is that making it low quality of DTS track or its same just encoded to DTS?

August 9, 2018 - 11:15am
JarvisMeier's picture
Kudos: 9
  saji2020 wrote:

Even though infuse or atv is converting DTS to DD ... is that making it low quality of DTS track or its same just encoded to DTS?

Infuse encodes to PCM which is the same quality as the original. If you are using an optical hookup to your amp then you probably have it set to decode to Dolby digital 5.1. All audio will be encoded to whatever DD supports (which is less than DTS). If you are worried about quality and you have an older non-HDMI amp/soundbar then it’s time to consider an upgrade.