444 posts / 0 new / Last post
  August 9, 2018 - 11:31am
Deschain's picture
Kudos: 13

Correct. If your AV receiver has HDMI and can accpet LPCM, then you will have full audio quality from Infuse.

However, it would be nice with an update about the original issue Smile

August 23, 2018 - 7:42am
serif83's picture
Kudos: 0

Will the dts issue be resolved when iOS 12 comes up with dolby atmos?

August 23, 2018 - 7:55am
iFrog's picture
Kudos: 2
  serif83 wrote:

Will the dts issue be resolved when iOS 12 comes up with dolby atmos?

At this point in time, it doesn't look like it unless people who have been using the beta can comment. For now it looks like it's strictly a decode to PCM solution if you have a compatible receiver, and a transcode to Dolby digital 5.1 if not. I can't speak to watch options TVOS 12 has added, I haven't been using it. I'm just going by what I know of the current os, and the feedback from this thread.

I will say since James fixed the audio mapping issues, I've had no issues with the PCM solution on my supported configuration.

August 23, 2018 - 7:58am
raquo's picture
Kudos: 1
  iFrog wrote:

At this point in time, it doesn't look like it unless people who have been using the beta can comment. For now it looks like it's strictly a decode to PCM solution if you have a compatible receiver, and a transcode to Dolby digital 5.1 if not. I can't speak to watch options TVOS 12 has added, I haven't been using it. I'm just going by what I know of the current os, and the feedback from this thread.

I will say since James fixed the audio mapping issues, I've had no issues with the PCM solution on my supported configuration.

I have a PCM compatible receiver, but I get an audio delay when using that option. It works fine when downmixing to DD5.1.

August 23, 2018 - 8:10am
iFrog's picture
  raquo wrote:

I have a PCM compatible receiver, but I get an audio delay when using that option. It works fine when downmixing to DD5.1.

That's odd, I would expect the exact opposite because one is compressed, the other isn't, so in theory the compression would be more likely to cause a delay.

August 23, 2018 - 12:14pm
colossi's picture

Hy raquo... Try go to the receiver configurations and change the "Audio Delay" option (usually in the "Video Setup" options), and remember that this setting is stored separately for each input source.

August 23, 2018 - 2:15pm
raquo's picture
  colossi wrote:

Hy raquo... Try go to the receiver configurations and change the "Audio Delay" option (usually in the "Video Setup" options), and remember that this setting is stored separately for each input source.

Yeah, I guess that would work except I only have problems with Infuse. Thus Netflix and other apps would get an incorrect audio delay...

September 9, 2018 - 8:48am
Rivanov's picture
Translator

I notice a very slight video/audio sync issue when I watch a Dolby Digital Plus film. Settings are set to "auto" in Infuse and "Best Quality" on the Apple TV 4K itself.

In april someone mentioned this also, but I also have this problem. Is this something that can be fixed by Firecore?

September 17, 2018 - 4:07pm
Walkinyan's picture

Well... passtrough is back with Dolby and DTS ! Awesome

September 17, 2018 - 4:27pm
iFrog's picture
  Walkinyan wrote:

How did you get it working? I still get static. I have the Apple TV set to auto, and I said infuse to pass through. Have tvOS 12 public release installed As well as today’s release of infuse pro.

September 17, 2018 - 5:32pm
Walkinyan's picture
  iFrog wrote:

How did you get it working? I still get static. I have the Apple TV set to auto, and I said infuse to pass through. Have tvOS 12 public release installed As well as today’s release of infuse pro.

Apple TV set to “best quality available” and “reduce loud sound” on off + infuse set to Passtrough

September 17, 2018 - 5:34pm
Walkinyan's picture

Did you upgrade infuse right after the tvOS 12 installation ?

September 17, 2018 - 5:46pm
iFrog's picture
  Walkinyan wrote:

Did you upgrade infuse?

Yes, I installed the version of Infuse released today along with TVOS 12. As far as the reduce loud sounds settings, I leave those alone so I don't kill the dynamic range.

I set the Infuse Audio output setting to Passthrough, I have the Apple TV 4 Set to Best quality, but under TVOS 12, it's labeled as auto. Still got static when playing a DVD MKV with a standard DTS track.

In the setup in which I tested this, I am able to get PCM 5.1, which I use for the lossless HD audio codecs, but the sound bar can also receive standard Dolby , and DTS 5.1. It worked prior to TVOS 11.3. I'll check my sound settings again in TV OS, but I think based on your post above, I have the right settings.

By the way sorry about the weird sounding reply above, I tried to dictate that on the iPad while the mouse battery recharged, and Apple's decision still isn't perfect.

September 17, 2018 - 6:05pm
iFrog's picture
  Walkinyan wrote:

Did you upgrade infuse right after the tvOS 12 installation ?

I went back and remade the settings just to double check. Use Best Quality Available in TVOS Video and Sound settings
Reduce Loud Sounds to off (default)
In InFuse audio output settings set to passthrough got static on DTS audio. Set Audio back to Auto in Infuse output and got PCM 5.1 as expected.
Version Of InFuse installed is Infuse Pro 5.8.2 (2246). TVOS 12 version is whatever build number apple released today.

I only need the passthrough on the Apple TV 4k, which is NOT directly connected to an HDMI audio input. That one goes through a TV, but the TV can process standard DD and DTS 5.1, which isn't lossless like PCM, but it's still better then everything being transcoded to Dolby digital.

September 18, 2018 - 1:49am
Deschain's picture
  Walkinyan wrote:

Well... not for TrueHD or DTS-HD MA, on my ATV 4K (latest Infuse and tvOS 12).

September 18, 2018 - 4:37am
iFrog's picture
  Deschain wrote:

Well... not for TrueHD or DTS-HD MA, on my ATV 4K (latest Infuse and tvOS 12).

Passthrough was NEVER for the lossless codecs, that's where the PCM output was for. Passthrough, was for the standard DD, and DTS codecs, as it was always stated that that lossless HD codecs weren't supported, and for those formats, set Infuse to Auto, and the Apple TV to best quality available.

That part works fine for me on my Apple TV 4, which has a direct HDMI connection to the audio device. Passthrough was mainly designed for systems that couldn't use HDMI connections , but were able to receive standard Dolby and DTS. With that said, if you were to use Passthrough on a title with a DTS MA, or TrueHD track, they would play, but as standard Dolby Digital, or DTS. The lossless part was done by sending them as PCM, when it came to Infuse.

Once, the issues were fixed with audio channel incorrect mapping, I've been able to use Infuse with PCM audio without issues, for both HD, and standard content.

In my case, the only setup Passthrough would benefit, is for the Apple TV 4K and my 4K setup because of the HDMI spec differences and having to compromise either video or audio quality. There was a link on AVS forum to a device from Monoprice that fixes that issue where it has both HDMI specs in one box and converts them. Has anyone here used one? If they work, I might get one, and that would solve my Apple TV 4k not being able to do PCM.

The other advantage for me at this point, I don't use Infuse to stream UHD content, so the UHD content I watch on Apple TV is Dolby audio already, or stereo. If I want to watch with Lossless audio, will just watch on the setup that supports it, which is 1080p.

September 18, 2018 - 4:46am
Iano's picture

So the audio channel mapping has been fully resolved?

September 18, 2018 - 4:55am
iFrog's picture
  Iano wrote:

So the audio channel mapping has been fully resolved?

From my experience, Yes. James even sent me a private message asking If I wanted to test to give feedback before the release of Infuse that fixed it was public. I said I would wait and see. When it was released, I tested a known problem movie, and it worked perfectly, so I let him know. Since then, I haven't seen the same issue.

September 18, 2018 - 7:07am
Walkinyan's picture

Well sorry everybody, the noise came back today with passthrough.... I don’t understand how can it work and then the next day it doesn’t work anymore?

September 18, 2018 - 7:20am
iFrog's picture
  Walkinyan wrote:

Well sorry everybody, the noise came back today with passthrough.... I don’t understand how can it work and then the next day it doesn’t work anymore?

Could have been a Fluke, It was a nice gesture at least, that hopefully it was fixed. I think when it truly is fixed, we'll hear reports from more then one person. and probably from James, or another Firecore staff member. What I might do, since I don't use the Apple TV 4K for 4K much, I might just retire the Apple TV 4, and use the 4K model as a 1080p device, it has a faster processor, and more storage, so it won't be a complete waste. I'll get the highest quality audio possible that way too.

September 18, 2018 - 1:34pm
ronald.vapelt's picture
Kudos: 8

I was glad I read the news that it was finally fixed but unfortunately it didn’t work for me either. The first time I tested it after the iOS 12 upgrade though it was a different sound than the static noise the second and successive times. I am hoping that since iOS 12 is now officially released the Infuse team will put some new effort in fixing this issue or push Apple to look into this again! I have said it before the one and only reason for buying Infuse (already payed twice) was the fact that this software was the only one supporting DTS sound with passthrough audio. If this won’t be fixed I will certainly not spend any more money in it and so please Infuse team fix this!

September 19, 2018 - 1:31am
LukeTheR's picture

I’ve a aTV 1080p upgraded to tvOS 12
Yesterday. Passthrough doesn’t work. Latest version of infuse installed and switched off Reduce Loud Sounds setting. But nothing. Only noise, no sound. 😔

October 2, 2018 - 12:19am
ronald.vapelt's picture

Is there any news on this topic! It has been a long time since we heard from the Infuse team on this subject and for me it is still an HOT issue! An update please!!

October 2, 2018 - 5:57am
xfreeezer's picture

All death no passthrough I now have TVOS 12 on it still only whistles...
Where is please my promised achievement?
The website says!
HD quality audio

Hear every detail with added support for 24-bit Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD MA audio.

October 2, 2018 - 6:12am
Deschain's picture
  xfreeezer wrote:

All death no passthrough I now have TVOS 12 on it still only whistles...
Where is please my promised achievement?
The website says!
HD quality audio

Hear every detail with added support for 24-bit Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD MA audio.

You do have HD quality audio, just not passthrough, but LPCM which is the same lossless quality.

To get passthrough, you need to direct your anger towards Apple...

October 2, 2018 - 11:32pm
ronald.vapelt's picture

For me the only decent audio is using passthrough and also the one and only reason I invested in this product (twice)! If this won’t be solved I am very disappointed!

October 2, 2018 - 11:55pm
raquo's picture

Yeah, and "auto" doesn't work for me since then I get an audio delay instead. Don't know why.

October 3, 2018 - 12:03am
astirling's picture
Beta Tester
Kudos: 37
  ronald.vapelt wrote:

For me the only decent audio is using passthrough and also the one and only reason I invested in this product (twice)! If this won’t be solved I am very disappointed!

Why is it the only decent audio for you? If your device supports pcm you’re hearing the same audio as passthrough. As has been said in the post above yours though, the fix for the issue lies with Apple rather than firecore so you may be better served raising your issues with them.

October 3, 2018 - 1:23am
ronald.vapelt's picture

Guess what.. my audio equipment does not support PCM and thus the highest quality audio is DTS (much better vs DD) which in my case can only be achieved using passthrough!

October 3, 2018 - 1:35am
Deschain's picture
  ronald.vapelt wrote:

Guess what.. my audio equipment does not support PCM and thus the highest quality audio is DTS (much better vs DD) which in my case can only be achieved using passthrough!

Probably time to get a new AV receiver or dump the ATV, since no one knows when/if Apple will allow for passthrough from local media.