444 posts / 0 new / Last post
  April 11, 2018 - 12:39pm
NC Bullseye's picture
Kudos: 358
  Iano wrote:

I've tried the workaround, but do not get any sound from the surround right speaker (all other speakers are working fine, it's a 5.1 system with Onkyo receiver). Any thoughts?

Are you able to get all speakers working on other input devices like radio, TV, or other than the Apple TV?

•Just Another Infuse User• •Not An Employee Of Firecore• •Certified Curmudgeon•

April 11, 2018 - 1:20pm
blacknighthawk's picture
Kudos: 1

I just get Multichannel on my Onkyo with this setting...

April 12, 2018 - 12:16am
raquo's picture

Yeah, that's what I get on my Onkyo too, and it's correct. In this case it's the Apple TV that does the decoding instead of the receiver, so the receiver gets all the channels just ready to go, but doesn't know what format it's in.

April 12, 2018 - 2:07pm
DTShasbass's picture
Kudos: 0

Hello everyone I created an account just to let you know that I caved and purchased another Apple TV 4K. It has tvOS 11.2 pre installed. I rushed to the settings menu and turned off automatic updates. I have beautiful DTS with that lovely bass. I would suggest doing the same because I think Apple did this on purpose and it’s not a bug.

April 12, 2018 - 2:09pm
Iano's picture
  NC Bullseye wrote:

Are you able to get all speakers working on other input devices like radio, TV, or other than the Apple TV?

They are all fine. Netflix works perfectly on the Apple TV with 5.1 output for example. I've tried a few more movies/content with Infuse and have narrowed down that the issue only occurs with DD 5.1 and DD+ 5.1 content. DTS does not have this issue.

April 12, 2018 - 2:36pm
iFrog's picture
Kudos: 2
  DTShasbass wrote:

Hello everyone I created an account just to let you know that I caved and purchased another Apple TV 4K. It has tvOS 11.2 pre installed. I rushed to the settings menu and turned off automatic updates. I have beautiful DTS with that lovely bass. I would suggest doing the same because I think Apple did this on purpose and it’s not a bug.

I was thinking along the same lines, but at the same time, if Apple didn't want the functionality, they could have just as easily thrown InFuse out of the App Store for violating policy. We'll just have to see as Apple has promised ATMOS support with the Apple TV 4k in a future update, and to do true ATMOS they would have to implement bit streaming as ATMOS doesn't work with PCM streams. If this does indeed come about then DTS and any other format should work again.

April 12, 2018 - 2:37pm
blacknighthawk's picture

I had a phone call with the apple support today about the passthrough issue and ask them if they plan to fix it and if not if they would change my Apple TV against one with tvOS 11.2. The guy told me he will forward my request to the development department and come back to me soon. Let's see what happens, I will keep you in the loop!

April 12, 2018 - 2:51pm
iFrog's picture
  blacknighthawk wrote:

I had a phone call with the apple support today about the passthrough issue and ask them if they plan to fix it and if not if they would change my Apple TV against one with tvOS 11.2. The guy told me he will forward my request to the development department and come back to me soon. Let's see what happens, I will keep you in the loop!

I'm with ya on seeing how things turn out. What I'm curious about is if people what the HD audio codecs so much, which I can understand, and I myself prefer DTS over DD myself. why not keep a dedicated device around as a secondary option ? Something that's designed ground up to handle these things such as a NVIDIA Shield TV, or a blu-ray player with with DLNA / Streaming functionality. It just seems to be a bit over confident to trust only one device. I myself like InFuse, and I also like the idea of one go to device to make things easier. I've also learned the truth about tech makes that impossible for all cases.

April 13, 2018 - 12:12pm
james's picture
Staff
Kudos: 1,114
  Iano wrote:

They are all fine. Netflix works perfectly on the Apple TV with 5.1 output for example. I've tried a few more movies/content with Infuse and have narrowed down that the issue only occurs with DD 5.1 and DD+ 5.1 content. DTS does not have this issue.

Would you be able to send in a sample video you are seeing this with so we can try and replicate the issue here?

https://firecore.com/upload

Infuse 6 for iOS and Apple TV is now available!

April 13, 2018 - 2:05pm
iFrog's picture
  james wrote:

Would you be able to send in a sample video you are seeing this with so we can try and replicate the issue here?

James, I had thought about sending at least one of the movies I've had issues with the other problems I've expressed on the thread I started, but wasn't sure if you could legally accept commercial movie uploads, even if you have a legal copy of the content yourself.

April 14, 2018 - 2:20am
Iano's picture
  james wrote:

Sure, will do.

April 15, 2018 - 8:13am
iFrog's picture
  Iano wrote:

Sure, will do.

How would I get the file to you? I clicked the upload link here ,and got a 404. Personally because of it being commercial media, I would prefer to use my google drive for this. Is there an email address I can send a share request to for Firecore support ?, or development directly?
Thanks

April 15, 2018 - 8:50am
Iano's picture
  Iano wrote:

Sure, will do.

Done.

April 15, 2018 - 1:30pm
iFrog's picture

I uploaded "Aladdin (1992).mkv" using the link originally posted by James, it uploaded to DropBox under Sample Videos. Is this the correct place for submitting video content for testing?

April 15, 2018 - 2:35pm
Regan Erasmus's picture

Just want to watch this thread

April 16, 2018 - 1:51am
Taucheranzug's picture
Kudos: 4

@James: with tvOS 11.3 out for almost 3 weeks now, can you give us some sort of update on where you are with trying to find a workaround for the passthrough issue?

April 16, 2018 - 1:53am
raquo's picture

As I understand it, it's not really up to the Infuse team to fix this. It's something Apple must do. Might be wrong though...

April 16, 2018 - 2:15am
Taucheranzug's picture

....yes, I know that, but James said from the start there was a chance for Firecore to find a workaround until Apple changes things in tvOS.

April 16, 2018 - 9:29am
NC Bullseye's picture
  Taucheranzug wrote:

....yes, I know that, but James said from the start there was a chance for Firecore to find a workaround until Apple changes things in tvOS.

Actually, back on the 29th of March James said that their "looking into potential workarounds" but then on April 4th he said

james wrote:

We're still looking into what options we have here, though it seems this may be an issue that can only be solved from Apple's end.

FWIW, with Infuse set to Auto and the Apple TV set to Best Quality Available, you'll be able to get the same quality (or better in some cases) audio. Infuse is certified for both Dolby and DTS audio, and the process through which audio is decoded from a compressed format (AC3, DTS, TrueHD, DTS-HD MA, etc...) to an uncompressed format (PCM) is consistent whether this takes place on the Apple TV or another certified device like an AV receiver. In fact, decoding compressed audio and outputting PCM is one of the tests that takes place during the certification process.

A bit more info on how this works can be found here.

https://support.firecore.com/hc/en-us/articles...

And later on the 4th

james wrote:

That makes sense, and it's a good example of why we like to provide options for how audio is sent from Infuse.

Rest assured, we're doing everything we can on our end to get this resolved. We're also waiting to hear back from Apple in response to our bug report, and maybe they will have some guidance which will prove to be useful.

So it looks as though the ball (either resolution or workaround) is in Apples court and Firecore is waiting for them to offer up the answer.

Sometimes the gears of evolution grind slowly Wink

April 16, 2018 - 9:41am
Taucheranzug's picture

....hmmm, to me, it sounds as if Firecore are still trying to find a way to get passthrough back on their own WHILE they also contacted Apple to get some input from them....!

April 16, 2018 - 9:59am
iFrog's picture

Based on my mental notes I've made when I first started researching InFuse's features. The passthrough setting never passed through the HD audio codecs from the start. it was for the standard codecs of Dolby and DTS. I remember reading that the Apple TV had to be set to Best Quality Available and Infuse had to be set to auto, to get the higher quality audio from the start, which would always turn out to PCM as the final output anyway.

If I'm correct in my assessment, Passthrough only was really beneficial to those without a direct HDMI connection, to get the other formats.l. With this said, it seems like the only people who lost a function are those that don't have a direct HDMI connection between the Apple TV, and receiver.

April 16, 2018 - 11:12am
blacknighthawk's picture

Could not agree with that. My Apple TV is connected to my Onkyo Receiver by HDMI and since the update to 11.3 passthrough isn't working correctly.

April 16, 2018 - 11:27am
Iano's picture
  blacknighthawk wrote:

Could not agree with that. My Apple TV is connected to my Onkyo Receiver by HDMI and since the update to 11.3 passthrough isn't working correctly.

Agree, I have issues too.

April 16, 2018 - 11:31am
iFrog's picture
  blacknighthawk wrote:

If you're talking about what I posted, I'm a bit lost on what you're referring to. My whole statement was to say that based on Firecore's documentation, HD audio only was passed through under the settings of best quality, and auto, and using passthrough would only pass through the codecs up to a certain sample and bitrate. So, what I was saying is I've only missed and noticed the feature not working correctly on my setup that's not directly connected to audio by HDMI from the Apple TV. On my setup, where the Apple TV has a direct HDMI connection, I haven't noticed a difference with Apple TV set to Best quality Available, and infuse set to auto.

April 16, 2018 - 11:34am
NC Bullseye's picture
  blacknighthawk wrote:

Iano wrote:

Agree, I have issues too.

When set to pass through, 'Reduce Loud Sounds' option in Apple TV disabled, and connected via HDMI to your AV receiver what are you getting out? I'm just trying to get an idea of exactly what you're getting with your set ups.

April 16, 2018 - 11:44am
iFrog's picture
  NC Bullseye wrote:

When set to pass through, 'Reduce Loud Sounds' option in Apple TV disabled, and connected via HDMI to your AV receiver what are you getting out? I'm just trying to get an idea of exactly what you're getting with your set ups.

I don't use Reduce loud sounds in apple TV's settings if I want to reduce sounds I put the sound bars in night mode.. As far as when I set to passthrough on either setup, I get white noise for DTS, and the sound of a reel to reel projector for Dolby digital 5.1. When I leave everything best and auto on the HDMI setup, all sounds play normally, however when playing standard Dolby, the channels get incorrectly decoded as PCM, so what should come out the center, comes out the front right.

That's why I started a separate thread for that, and sent a copy of a Movie this happens on to Firecore. The thing is, no one has confirmed they got it. I would like to know because it's a commercial movie. And I'm not into pirating content. I only sent it because I was told they have a license to test commercial content.

With that said, If I set the Apple TV(s) to Dolby digital 5.1 for surround sound and InFuse to auto, then I get DD 5.1, and it correct the issue that occurs when sending loosely audio as PCM multi channel.

For now, what I do is, if I want to watch something where the audio doesn't matter such as Netflix, I'll use the Apple TV for that, or the copy I have in iTunes. If I want to watch better quality and listen to higher quality audio, I'll use my Sony UBP-X800 UHD Blu-ray player.

April 16, 2018 - 12:00pm
sputnik65's picture
Beta Tester

Installed today tvOS 11.4 beta 2... DTS it's still DOA

April 16, 2018 - 12:06pm
blacknighthawk's picture
  NC Bullseye wrote:

With this setup I just getting a hissing noise out.

April 16, 2018 - 12:56pm
blacknighthawk's picture
  iFrog wrote:

I don't use Reduce loud sounds in apple TV's settings if I want to reduce sounds I put the sound bars in night mode.. As far as when I set to passthrough on either setup, I get white noise for DTS, and the sound of a reel to reel projector for Dolby digital 5.1. When I leave everything best and auto on the HDMI setup, all sounds play normally, however when playing standard Dolby, the channels get incorrectly decoded as PCM, so what should come out the center, comes out the front right.

I have exactly the same problems as described by iFrog, except the center speaker issue...

April 16, 2018 - 1:09pm
iFrog's picture
  blacknighthawk wrote:

I have exactly the same problems as described by iFrog, except the center speaker issue...

@blacknighthawk. I have Vizio SB3651-e6 (2017 model) on both TVs (bedroom, and living room setups). I originally through my issues might have been a receiver issue, but I don't think so since I have multiple devices for dealing with multi channel audio. and the Sony UBP-X800 also gives me the option to internally decode, and send as PCM, or send as a Bitstream. Streaming the same content to the Sony, or playing from a physical disc does not give the wrong audio processing as the Apple TV does via InFuse and having things sent as PCM. I'm not even sure if it's specifically an Apple TV issue either. Audio plays ok via Plex, even when the system settings are set to Best quality, which sends as PCM. The only reason I purchased InFuse for the Apple TV was for DTS passthrough, on standard DVD quality content. With HD Audio, it's harder to tell a difference, and with Plex on Apple TV, and the audio being sent as PCM to the sound bars doesn't really sound bad compared to low bitrate DD 5.1, and my main gripe with that has been that DD sounds more muddy.