444 posts / 0 new / Last post
  April 16, 2018 - 3:30pm
Iano's picture
Kudos: 0
  NC Bullseye wrote:

When set to pass through, 'Reduce Loud Sounds' option in Apple TV disabled, and connected via HDMI to your AV receiver what are you getting out? I'm just trying to get an idea of exactly what you're getting with your set ups.

Yes, set up as described you have described. I get no sound from right surround speaker with this for DD 5.1 and DD+ 5.1, but works fine for DTS. The only workaround is to select DD 5.1 in the Apple TV settings. Netflix works fine with PCM from all speakers, hence why I believe it's an issue with Infuse.

April 16, 2018 - 9:34pm
Sizhai81's picture

As mentioned before, the staff of infuse team confirmed that this issued caused by Apple and they have submitted issue report to Apple.

Iano wrote:

Yes, set up as described you have described. I get no sound from right surround speaker with this for DD 5.1 and DD+ 5.1, but works fine for DTS. The only workaround is to select DD 5.1 in the Apple TV settings. Netflix works fine with PCM from all speakers, hence why I believe it's an issue with Infuse.

April 17, 2018 - 12:47am
Iano's picture
  Sizhai81 wrote:

As mentioned before, the staff of infuse team confirmed that this issued caused by Apple and they have submitted issue report to Apple.

Actually they have not, this is a different issue, and is why the Infuse team have asked for sample video.

April 17, 2018 - 5:02am
iFrog's picture
Kudos: 2
  Iano wrote:

Actually they have not, this is a different issue, and is why the Infuse team have asked for sample video.

Would it help, if I sent them a TV episode with both a DD 5.1 and DTS 5.1 track included in the same file? This is how it was mastered on DVD, and it would be the standard audio tracks, not the lossless ones. The copy of Aladdin I sent as a test only has AC3 5.1.

EDIT: I uploaded the first episode of "Spider-Man The New Animated Series" for testing. It contains both a DD, and DTS 5.1 track, however the DD is the default. I have to say, I prefer watching TV shows from physical media over streaming, as none of the software solutions seem to let you select the same audio track for all episodes like playing from DVD, or blu-ray does.

April 17, 2018 - 12:08pm
xfreeezer's picture

So the beta 2 of TVOS 11.4 is out and still no improvement with the sound problem! It may be that this is a problem of Apple, but I bought extra Infuse because there is Dts Dts HD and nothing happens ... my hate is directed against Apple! They are just incapable I've already complained to Apple in writing and asked them to finally solve the problem otherwise I return the device because it does not do what it should!

April 17, 2018 - 12:20pm
iFrog's picture
  xfreeezer wrote:

So the beta 2 of TVOS 11.4 is out and still no improvement with the sound problem! It may be that this is a problem of Apple, but I bought extra Infuse because there is Dts Dts HD and nothing happens ... my hate is directed against Apple! They are just incapable I've already complained to Apple in writing and asked them to finally solve the problem otherwise I return the device because it does not do what it should!

I'm research the possibility of buying the NVIDIA Shield TV to replace my ROKU, so I have apple and google as my main streamers, and still have my UHD blu-ray player for physical media. Maybe Firecore could make a version of Infuse for Android TV, it would be a great app for the Shield TV, and since the Shield TV has USB 3 ports, it has an edge over the Apple TV when it comes to playing media directly from a hard drive, and it has the lossless codec support built in from ground up. Just a thought.

April 17, 2018 - 12:28pm
dgsgc's picture
Kudos: 8

Ok so I understand I have this problem because I’m not using an hdmi reciever.

I have been planning on getting a new soundbar (LG SJ9).

Am I correct in thinking if I use best available and auto, then connect my Apple to tv to the soundbar and then soundbar to tv I will then receive all audio formats, DD5.1 DTS, DD+ DTSHD etc?

April 17, 2018 - 12:36pm
iFrog's picture
  dgsgc wrote:

Ok so I understand I have this problem because I’m not using an hdmi reciever.

I have been planning on getting a new soundbar (LG SJ9).

Am I correct in thinking if I use best available and auto, then connect my Apple to tv to the soundbar and then soundbar to tv I will then receive all audio formats, DD5.1 DTS, DD+ DTSHD etc?

Best quality usually sends PCM, No DTS with Apple TV unless the issue with infuse can be resolved. It also depends on what formats the sound bar can receive.
My Vizio sound bars can receive DTS DD and DD+ and PCM natively, but lossless codecs such as DTS HD and TrueHD for Dolby have to be sent as multi channel PCM. Also the sound bar I have can also do DD+ and PCM Multichannel over HDMI directly. If you connect the sound bar to a TV's ARC, or optical port, chances are you won't get lossless HD codecs that way, or even multichannel PCM. The two methods listed above optical, and ARC don't have the bandwidth to support lossless audio. so you need at least one device connected to the sound bar directly by HDMI for lossless audio to happen. Some TVs will send standard DD and DTS 5.1, and stereo PCM. It depends on your TV.

April 17, 2018 - 12:55pm
dgsgc's picture
  iFrog wrote:

Best quality usually sends PCM, No DTS with Apple TV unless the issue with infuse can be resolved. It also depends on what formats the sound bar can receive.
My Vizio sound bars can receive DTS DD and DD+ and PCM natively, but lossless codecs such as DTS HD and TrueHD for Dolby have to be sent as multi channel PCM. Also the sound bar I have can also do DD+ and PCM Multichannel over HDMI directly. If you connect the sound bar to a TV's ARC, or optical port, chances are you won't get lossless HD codecs that way, or even multichannel PCM. The two methods listed above optical, and ARC don't have the bandwidth to support lossless audio. so you need at least one device connected to the sound bar directly by HDMI for lossless audio to happen. Some TVs will send standard DD and DTS 5.1, and stereo PCM. It depends on your TV.

Thanks but I'm still confused. The SJ9 soundbar accepts LPCM/Dolby Atmos/Dolby TrueHD/DD+/DD5.1/DTS.

I won't be connecting via the TV and ARC, I will be going Apple TV > Sounbar > TV

If i use Best and Auto settings i understand i won't see DTS/DD on my soundbar but it will be sending the uncompressed versions of all of those audio types as LPCM, depending on whats audio format is in the source media in infuse?

April 17, 2018 - 1:02pm
iFrog's picture
  dgsgc wrote:

Thanks but I'm still confused. The SJ9 soundbar accepts LPCM/Dolby Atmos/Dolby TrueHD/DD+/DD5.1/DTS.

I won't be connecting via the TV and ARC, I will be going Apple TV > Sounbar > TV

If i use Best and Auto settings i understand i won't see DTS/DD on my soundbar but it will be sending the uncompressed versions of all of those audio types as LPCM, depending on whats audio format is in the source media in infuse?

You are correct, with Best quality and a direct HDMI connection, you will get PCM output. I am sorry for the confusion. I wasn't sure how you were connecting the setup, and I wasn't familiar with the sound bar so I wanted to cover all possible ground to give you the best answer possible for any number of different setups.

I will add, because you said the sound bar accepts ATMOS, the Apple TV isn't your device to use, until apple adds support. If you want ATMOS you need a 4k Blu-ray Disc player, or possibly a game console, or maybe a Shield TV.

April 17, 2018 - 1:09pm
dgsgc's picture
  iFrog wrote:

You are correct, with Best quality and a direct HDMI connection, you will get PCM output. I am sorry for the confusion. I wasn't sure how you were connecting the setup, and I wasn't familiar with the sound bar so I wanted to cover all possible ground to give you the best answer possible for any number of different setups.

I will add, because you said the sound bar accepts ATMOS, the Apple TV isn't your device to use, until apple adds support. If you want ATMOS you need a 4k Blu-ray Disc player, or possibly a game console, or maybe a Shield TV.

Thanks, glad i understand it all correctly now, not worried about Atmos at the moment, i understand apple have promised it for future so I can wait.

April 18, 2018 - 12:52am
colossi's picture

The only problem to use “Auto” all the time, is the Dolby Digital issue that appeared with the last versions of Infuse. The center channel plays at the left. The only way to correct this problem was to use the passtrough option to the receiver decode it normally, but now, we can’t. If Firecore solve this problem, the passtrough option isn’t necessary.

April 18, 2018 - 12:55am
dgsgc's picture

Can’t say I’ve had that issue on any Dolby digital tracks.

April 18, 2018 - 1:26am
Taucheranzug's picture
Kudos: 4

Me neither - and I play A LOT of DD 5.1 video files via Infuse"s "Auto" setting, now that passthrough is broken. ATV is always set to "Dolby Digital" as my AV receiver is not capable of playing multi-channel PCM. Haven't noticed any mixed-up channels yet.

April 18, 2018 - 3:09am
iFrog's picture
  colossi wrote:

The only problem to use “Auto” all the time, is the Dolby Digital issue that appeared with the last versions of Infuse. The center channel plays at the left. The only way to correct this problem was to use the passtrough option to the receiver decode it normally, but now, we can’t. If Firecore solve this problem, the passtrough option isn’t necessary.

The most likely cause of different results with incorrectly decoded audio is a combination of different hardware / firmware used in people's receivers. As I mentioned above, with my Vizio sound bars which are (full AV Receivers in a sound bar form factor) the center channel plays on the right front. However, with passthrough broken now, I can still correct the problem by setting the Apple TV to dolby digital 5.1, and leaving InFuse to Auto. So, the only thing that seems to be missing here, is the ability to listen to DTS audio directly without it being sent as PCM first (for those with multi-channel PCM support.)

For me personally, I never expected DTS support from Apple directly, and mainly got the Apple TV's for my iTunes content. It was nice to have it working in Infuse when it was though, because it was a nice bonus to have in one device. However, it's not a big deal to switch to a device that was designed for the lossless codecs either until this is fixed.

Going back to the original problem quoted here, The incorrect audio is almost certain an issue with InFuse, or Apple TV. As mentioned before, I have a Sony UHD Player, that supports streaming in addition to physical media, and settings to send audio as Auto, or PCM. Auto sends as a bitstream,and when set to PCM, can also pass multi-channel PCM from everything but Netflix and the audio plays normally.

April 18, 2018 - 3:41am
ronald.vapelt's picture

For me personally it is very important to be able to listen to DTS (my best possible sound quality for the equipment I am using) and the only reason I invested twice in Infuse!!

April 18, 2018 - 4:21am
iFrog's picture
  ronald.vapelt wrote:

For me personally it is very important to be able to listen to DTS (my best possible sound quality for the equipment I am using) and the only reason I invested twice in Infuse!!

I would agree when speaking about DVD, that DTS was usually better then the Dolby tracks. When comparing from a Blu-ray Disc, or UHD Blu-ray Disc, I haven't noticed as much of a difference between TrueHD, and DTS Master HD. As always though it seems to be source dependent.

April 18, 2018 - 5:44am
ronald.vapelt's picture

DTS is certainly much better compared to Dolby Digital, which I am now forced to use!

April 18, 2018 - 1:32pm
iFrog's picture

Since no one else has mentioned this, I thought I would ask, has anyone here tried connecting an iPad by HDMI to their setup to see if InFuse is able to pass through audio that way? I don't have a lightning to HDMI adapter, or I would test it myself. Just thought if it worked this way, it could be a work around until Apple TV is fixed for those insistent on using an Apple device to play their content.

April 18, 2018 - 3:29pm
Taucheranzug's picture

...seems like they just released a new version of Infuse... any changes to our passthrough issue...?

April 18, 2018 - 3:40pm
iFrog's picture
  Taucheranzug wrote:

...seems like they just released a new version of Infuse... any changes to our passthrough issue...?

No change here. That's why I posted the above question, since I can't test for myself about running InFuse from an iOS Device such as an iPad connected by lighting to HDMI to see if it's a work around until Apple TV is fixed. I have no reason to do it personally since I have other ways to listen to DTS audio. Just wondered if it was an option.

April 18, 2018 - 10:42pm
McLarenforever's picture

I’ve paid for infuse pro. To cover firecore licence to Dolby and DTS.
IT MUST WORK!!!
Otherwise Infuse is useless.
Auto IS NOT providing the best audio quality possible. It only provides LPCM and all speakers playing at same level without spatial effect. DTS is MUCH better and this feature MUST be reactivated... or refund

April 18, 2018 - 11:32pm
LazyOtto's picture

[Looks like I initially replied to the wrong topic since that one is marked "solved" and this one is still active.]

Passthrough is not working with Infuse Pro 5.7.

Sends the bitstream out as PCM to the Denon AVR. (Makes a dreadful, and loud, noise.)

Will try setting the ATV to DD out as a test, but even if that works that is not viable long term since would require manually changing, and every user remembering to change, every time using Infuse versus iTunes/Amazon/Netflix for best quality audio.

April 19, 2018 - 2:27am
iFrog's picture
  McLarenforever wrote:

I’ve paid for infuse pro. To cover firecore licence to Dolby and DTS.
IT MUST WORK!!!
Otherwise Infuse is useless.
Auto IS NOT providing the best audio quality possible. It only provides LPCM and all speakers playing at same level without spatial effect. DTS is MUCH better and this feature MUST be reactivated... or refund

I understand your frustration. I originally signed up for this forum just to see what was wrong, when I first discovered the problem. In this case though, I believe it is Apple people need to be targeting here for a fix, rather then Firecore as it would appear, it's on their even what caused the problem to begin with.

April 19, 2018 - 2:40am
Taucheranzug's picture

I tend to agree here, but then, I feel that Firecore (as a developer and a company with many customers) has some sort of obligation to make sure that the advertised (and paid!) features of their software continue to work. Otherwise, they should officially announce that DTS support with Infuse is over now. It's not Apple claiming that their software can playback DTS, it's Firecore, so Firecore should try really hard to get in contact with Apple to either confirm that this passthrough problem will be resolved some time in the future or if passthrough support is coming to a permanent halt. So far I haven't heard any REAL statement about this apart from "we're doing the best we can to resolve this". It's been three weeks now.

April 19, 2018 - 2:54am
iFrog's picture
  Taucheranzug wrote:

I tend to agree here, but then, I feel that Firecore (as a developer and a company with many customers) has some sort of obligation to make sure that the advertised (and paid!) features of their software continue to work. Otherwise, they should officially announce that DTS support with Infuse is over now. It's not Apple claiming that their software can playback DTS, it's Firecore, so Firecore should try really hard to get in contact with Apple to either confirm that this passthrough problem will be resolved some time in the future or if passthrough support is coming to a permanent halt. So far I haven't heard any REAL statement about this apart from "we're doing the best we can to resolve this". It's been three weeks now.

I agree with you here, both companies involved have responsibilities here to resolve the issue. There is one question though. Was it an unwise move for both the paying customers, and Firecore as a developer to purchase and develop this kind of solution for a company like Apple to begin with, who hated Blu-ray from the start? It seems like as a more sound investment to for people to have invested in products that were designed for these features ground up. Apple TV never was, even though, it has the hardware to support it.

After watching this for a while, and what I know from Apple's history makes me wonder if they did this so they wouldn't get stuck with licensing fees for the audio codecs. I know this is simply speculation at this point. I will be interested to see how this turns out in the end though.

April 19, 2018 - 3:08am
xfreeezer's picture

I just bought because of the DTS-HD and TrueHD Infuuse 5 Pro! I want this to work now! If necessary, I give the app back and wants my money back! This is advertised on the website, otherwise this is unfair competition if not stated!
Any u815 China box with Kodi can do that!

Attachments: 
  April 19, 2018 - 3:26am
Taucheranzug's picture

One thing is for sure - Firecore WILL have to make a statement about this at some point. They cannot continue forever to advertise their product supporting DTS when this is simply not true anymore. I'm not sure about the legal consequences or if we as customers have any right to get our money back - Firecore might have a clause hidden deep within their conditions saying that their software features are subject to change when the ATV features change (or similar) which releases them from the LEGAL obligation to refund their customers.
I still like their product and will continue to use it even if DTS support comes to a full halt because I feel that Infuse is still way better than e.g. Plex with all its transcoding mess, but I must say that I'm beginning to feel disappointed by Firecore's obvious policy to keep us in the dark about the question IF there might be a solution to this at hand or not. As I already said, statements like "we're doing our best" or similar really don't help anymore after the three weeks that have passed now.

April 19, 2018 - 5:03am
raquo's picture
Kudos: 1

While I understand people's frustration here, I imagine dealing with a behemoth like Apple can't be that easy for a small developer like Firecore. Apple is famously tightlipped and they're probably not privy to any information about what is going on inside Apple, and thus can't really say anything about if or when it will be fixed.

April 19, 2018 - 5:11am
toegelr's picture

I use Infuse 5.6.11 on my ATV4K with 11.2.1 and Passthrough (DTS) is working.
Can i update to the new Infuse 5.7 and work Passthrough also like 5.6.10 or 5.6.11 ?

Or is it better for Passthrough DTS Sound i stay on 5.6.11 ?