435 posts / 0 new / Last post
  April 21, 2018 - 3:33pm
iFrog's picture
Kudos: 2

I logged on today to check the status. Just looked at the link posted from VLC development. Honestly, I don't remember VLC on Apple TV doing passthrough to begin with. At least it never did for me, like InFuse did. I'll stick around just to see what the final conclusion is, but since I have other devices I can do DTS and other formats with, the idea sucks, but it's not the end of the world, and personally I'm not surprised if Apple did this. Ever since Steve passed, they've been making choices that have slowly made me reconsider doing business with them long term. I'm glad I know how to move forward now.

April 21, 2018 - 9:14pm
Grifone1893's picture
Kudos: 0

I was very happy because the unit I bought 2 day ago was on 11.2, so disabling automatic updates was the first thing I did.
But this morning I found the ATV updated itself to 11.3, despite the setting...how's it possible? I'm pissed off.
There's some chance to return to 11.2 if I initialize the unit?
If I reset the unit to factory values (reset without update) it will return to 11.2?

April 22, 2018 - 2:21am
itimpi's picture
Kudos: 107

I do not believe that Apple provide any method for downgrading your TVOS version.

I AM A USER - NOT A FIRECORE EMPLOYEE

April 22, 2018 - 3:10am
iFrog's picture
  Grifone1893 wrote:

I was very happy because the unit I bought 2 day ago was on 11.2, so disabling automatic updates was the first thing I did.
But this morning I found the ATV updated itself to 11.3, despite the setting...how's it possible? I'm pissed off.
There's some chance to return to 11.2 if I initialize the unit?
If I reset the unit to factory values (reset without update) it will return to 11.2?

The only Apple Devices you can change the OS on, (as far as going back, or putting a different OS on) are Macs. If rumors are true and down the road Apple abandons Intel processors in favor of their own, and merges macOS into iOS,then that may not be possible any longer either.

I'm not sure of this, but maybe if it was an Apple TV 4, with the USB port vs 4k with no port, then you might be able to use iTunes to go back like iOS used to do, but you'd have your Blobs in place from the previous os version. I remember it being a common thing for iPhone uses, especially related to Jailbreaking, but not sure if it's really a thing anymore. I haven't heard or seen anyone talk about that in at least over a year now.

April 22, 2018 - 5:26am
Grifone1893's picture

Thanks for the answers guys!
I asked because if you go to your ATV 4K reset setting youl'll find 2 options:

1.Reset to factory default.
2.Reset to factory default and Update ( needs internet connection).

So I thought...if I reset the unit with option 1 (without update and internet connection) it will use the tvos I found two days ago (11.2.6).

Anyway, I still don't understand why my ATV updates to 11.3 itself (I'm absolutely sure I disabled automatic updates in system settings).

April 22, 2018 - 5:57am
iFrog's picture
  Grifone1893 wrote:

Thanks for the answers guys!
I asked because if you go to your ATV 4K reset setting youl'll find 2 options:

1.Reset to factory default.
2.Reset to factory default and Update ( needs internet connection).

So I thought...if I reset the unit with option 1 (without update and internet connection) it will use the tvos I found two days ago (11.2.6).

Anyway, I still don't understand why my ATV updates to 11.3 itself (I'm absolutely sure I disabled automatic updates in system settings).

There are two options yes:

Option 1: Reset Resets to factory defaults and erases your personal data.
Option 2: Reset and update, does the same as the first plus downloads and installs the latest version of TVOS as a clean install.
Neither option revert to an older version. As far as to why it updated even though you turned it off, possibly a bug, or maybe apple forces updates for security reasons.

I look at it this way for now, It was nice while I had it, and it would be nice to have it back, but if not, I still am able to use the Apple TV for the reason I purchased it for, and for the unique features like discussed here, I'll just use one of my other devices that supports DTS and DolbyTRUEHD playback.

I've used Apple products since a kid in the 80's. It's been nice to see what else is out there.

April 22, 2018 - 6:09am
Grifone1893's picture

Thx iFrog,
I asked because I found this (on AVSforums):

"you can “Reset” your device which takes you back to the original software and default settings. “Reset and update” will do the same thing but will also get you back to the last release"

So, this is where my doubts come from Smile

April 22, 2018 - 6:24am
iFrog's picture
  Grifone1893 wrote:

Thx iFrog,
I asked because I found this (on AVSforums):

"you can “Reset” your device which takes you back to the original software and default settings. “Reset and update” will do the same thing but will also get you back to the last release"

So, this is where my doubts come from Smile

In this case "last release" means the latest currently available for update / download that's public.
I'm actually surprised with the fuss people are making about this. I'm not surprised from the prospective of paying for the app, and a feature is broken now. Surprised that people put this kind of trust into Apple for this. Anyone who's been an apple consumer for the last 10 years should know Steve Jobs never liked Blu-ray, and therefore Apple as a company doesn't support the commercial format . Anything relating to lossless DTS, and Dolby, even ATMOS is all blu-ray related. As far as standard DTS, I'm not sure of their view on that, since it be stored on a standard DVD, which Apple has directly supported to some capacity for quite a few years.

It's most likely due to licensing, and I know that was their reason behind blu-ray, so, since most apple consumers aren't into home theater and this doesn't matter to them, it's probably not worth their time and effort, and cost to support it. Hopefully this will change, I'm simply going by the history I've had with Apple up until this point.

April 22, 2018 - 6:36am
veracocha's picture

My apple tv 4k update itself to 11.3 (auto update was on) , so If I only "reset" to default settings , Can I back to 11.2 ?

April 22, 2018 - 6:39am
iFrog's picture
  veracocha wrote:

My apple tv 4k update itself to 11.3 (auto update was on) , so If I only "reset" to default settings , Can I back to 11.2 ?

Not without taking it into an Apple store, no.

April 22, 2018 - 6:39am
Grifone1893's picture
  iFrog wrote:

In this case "last release" means the latest currently available for update / download that's public.

Yes, if you use option 2 (Reset and Update).
But, if i'd use option 1 (just Reset)is it possible that the ATV will return to the same TVos (11.2.6 in my case) I found 2 days ago, when I bought it?

Sorry I'm a little confused and it's my fault, probably my bad english doesn't help.

Thx anyway iFrog, for all you answers.

April 22, 2018 - 6:45am
iFrog's picture
  Grifone1893 wrote:

Yes, if you use option 2 (Reset and Update).
But, if i'd use option 1 (just Reset)is it possible that the ATV will return to the same TVos (11.2.6 in my case) I found 2 days ago, when I bought it?

Sorry I'm a little confused and it's my fault, probably my bad english doesn't help.

Thx anyway iFrog, for all you answers.

It's OK, you're doing fine. Option 1 will simply erase personal data and return the Apple TV to factory defaults. It will NOT downgrade, or upgrade TVOS. Apple doesn't let you go backwards on mobile devices. iOS, TVOS, watchOS etc. Hope this clears things up.

April 22, 2018 - 6:48am
Sizhai81's picture

I'm just wondering why the infuse team didn't show any official answer even this post has been got more than 2 hundred responses so far.

April 22, 2018 - 6:54am
Sizhai81's picture

check the attached picture

Attachments: 
  April 22, 2018 - 7:05am
mrrobotoplus's picture
Beta Tester
Kudos: 7

The Infuse team must also update their website. From my side i just removed the annual subscription after years.

Attachments: 
  April 22, 2018 - 7:11am
Sizhai81's picture
  mrrobotoplus wrote:

The Infuse team must also update their website. From my side i just removed the annual subscription after years.

I bought the lifetime license and let's cross fingers

April 22, 2018 - 7:11am
iFrog's picture
  mrrobotoplus wrote:

What's the annual subscription? I paid $15 for InFuse pro from the App Store. Looked like a 1 time payment to me.

April 22, 2018 - 7:23am
mrrobotoplus's picture
Beta Tester
  iFrog wrote:

What's the annual subscription? I paid $15 for InFuse pro from the App Store. Looked like a 1 time payment to me.

You have monthly, annual and lifetime licenses or you can buy the actual version without the right to upgrade to the next major release.

Attachments: 
  April 22, 2018 - 7:23am
Grifone1893's picture
  iFrog wrote:

It's OK, you're doing fine. Option 1 will simply erase personal data and return the Apple TV to factory defaults. It will NOT downgrade, or upgrade TVOS. Apple doesn't let you go backwards on mobile devices. iOS, TVOS, watchOS etc. Hope this clears things up.

It does!
Now it's all clear.
Thx again.

April 22, 2018 - 8:03am
timstephens24's picture
Beta Tester
Kudos: 106
  mrrobotoplus wrote:

There's nothing wrong with that picture, they still support those formats. Infuse will decode those to PCM and pass the decoded tracks to the receiver with no loss in quality.

Apple TV 4K --> Denon X6500H 7.1.4 --> LG OLED65C6P
======== SYNOLOGY DS1815+ DS513 ========
iPhone XS Max ||| iPad Pro 10.5

April 22, 2018 - 8:49am
colossi's picture

I already know that, and it's a great feature that works really well. My only complain is that, when it decodes Dolby Digital tracks, the channels are swapped. The center channel plays at the left. The only way to play it right is changing the surround option in the Apple TV configuration from "Best quality" to "Dolby 5.1" option, and, when the movie ends up switching back again.

April 22, 2018 - 8:54am
mrrobotoplus's picture
Beta Tester
  timstephens24 wrote:

There's nothing wrong with that picture, they still support those formats. Infuse will decode those to PCM and pass the decoded tracks to the receiver with no loss in quality.

I keep reading this but unfortunately doesn't work to all of us. I get no more than DD 5.1. Passtrough was the only option for me to get DTS and TrueHD as stated in the homepage. At least they need to provide a disclaimer and a HW compatibility list.

April 22, 2018 - 2:19pm
timstephens24's picture
Beta Tester
  mrrobotoplus wrote:

I keep reading this but unfortunately doesn't work to all of us. I get no more than DD 5.1. Passtrough was the only option for me to get DTS and TrueHD as stated in the homepage. At least they need to provide a disclaimer and a HW compatibility list.

What's the setting on your Apple TV? Sounds like you have it set to 'Dolby Digital 5.1' instead of 'Best Quality Available' and you might be confused on how passthrough worked. Infuse (and any other app on the Apple TV 4/4K) never passed through TrueHD (or DTS-HD MA). In order to get lossless audio from TrueHD or DTS-HD MA you need to set your Apple TV to 'Best Quality Available' and Infuse to 'Auto', then Infuse will decode to PCM and send it to your receiver.

April 22, 2018 - 2:23pm
mrrobotoplus's picture
Beta Tester
  timstephens24 wrote:

In order to get lossless audio from TrueHD or DTS-HD MA you need to set your Apple TV to 'Best Quality Available' and Infuse to 'Auto'

Those are my settings.

April 22, 2018 - 2:24pm
timstephens24's picture
Beta Tester
  colossi wrote:

I already know that, and it's a great feature that works really well. My only complain is that, when it decodes Dolby Digital tracks, the channels are swapped. The center channel plays at the left. The only way to play it right is changing the surround option in the Apple TV configuration from "Best quality" to "Dolby 5.1" option, and, when the movie ends up switching back again.

I can't recreate that issue, but I've read other people saying similar. I would recommend uploading a sample to https://firecore.com/upload and creating a new thread about your issue. After you play the video with that issue, you should also go into settings and 'Submit Diagnostics' and that will give you a 4 digit code you can put in your post as well.

April 22, 2018 - 2:25pm
timstephens24's picture
Beta Tester
  mrrobotoplus wrote:

Those are my settings.

What does your receiver show?

April 22, 2018 - 10:29pm
Magenof's picture
Kudos: 3

Why do people have such an issue with LPCM? Even Apple themselves give you this when you choose best quality in settings and play a movie from the itunes store. LPCM is just the unpacked version of whatever audio is on your file, shouldn't sound any different.

So you have no surround because either you have a wrong setup ATV - TV - AVR (hook ATV directly to AVR) or you have an AVR which doesnt support LPCM (which seems unlikely).

April 23, 2018 - 2:10am
Taucheranzug's picture
Kudos: 4

Who knows, maybe Apple change their mind again soon, wouldn't be the first time. On that videoLAN link, it says "disabling passthrough for now", not "forever". So for the time being, I will stick to the "Auto" setting in Infuse and to "DD 5.1" in the ATV settings and will have my DTS movies played back as DD 5.1. I'd prefer to see the DTS lamp lit again, but really - there are worse things when dealing with hard and software.

April 23, 2018 - 5:01am
iFrog's picture
  Magenof wrote:

Why do people have such an issue with LPCM? Even Apple themselves give you this when you choose best quality in settings and play a movie from the itunes store. LPCM is just the unpacked version of whatever audio is on your file, shouldn't sound any different.

So you have no surround because either you have a wrong setup ATV - TV - AVR (hook ATV directly to AVR) or you have an AVR which doesnt support LPCM (which seems unlikely).

I don't have an issue with LPCM, in fact it's what I use when playing a physical disc to get lossless audio, and it works great for the setup I have. My main issue when dealing with InFuse is having standard DD 5.1 sent as PCM, the channels are incorrectly decoded, and play wrong. In this case, it's NOT PCM's fault, it's either Infuse, or the Apple TV.

April 23, 2018 - 5:17am
timstephens24's picture
Beta Tester
  iFrog wrote:

I don't have an issue with LPCM, in fact it's what I use when playing a physical disc to get lossless audio, and it works great for the setup I have. My main issue when dealing with InFuse is having standard DD 5.1 sent as PCM, the channels are incorrectly decoded, and play wrong. In this case, it's NOT PCM's fault, it's either Infuse, or the Apple TV.

I can't recreate that issue, but I've read other people saying similar. I would recommend uploading a sample to https://firecore.com/upload and creating a new thread about your issue. After you play the video with that issue, you should also go into settings and 'Submit Diagnostics' and that will give you a 4 digit code you can put in your post as well.