49 posts / 0 new / Last post
#1  April 22, 2018 - 1:38am
Christian1979's picture
Beta Tester
Kudos: 163

Hey 😉
I bought a 4K OLED TV yesterday... (before that I used a Full-HD TV)

And after a few Tests I really was „shocked“ about the performance if the AppleTV is set to 4K Output Resolution 😳

The Infuse-Interface is really stuttery and not smooth, the TV-Show Thumnails are loaded slowly (flashes during loading), the „All Movies“ Movie Posters are loading incredible slowly (if you scroll down, it loads the next posters but very slowly, you see always white Posters!) etc...

And the best joke:
With 1080p on my old TV I have NO Performance Issues in this form!

My question is:
Is this normal??? Do you also experienced this issues with 4K Output?

April 22, 2018 - 7:52am
danemacmillan's picture
Beta Tester
Kudos: 143
  Christian1979 wrote:

Hey 😉
I bought a 4K OLED TV yesterday... (before that I used a Full-HD TV)

And after a few Tests I really was „shocked“ about the performance if the AppleTV is set to 4K Output Resolution 😳

The Interface is really stuttery and not smooth, the TV-Show Thumnails are loaded slowly (flashes during loading), the „All Movies“ Movie Posters are loading incredible slowly (if you scroll down, it loads the next posters but very slowly, you see always white Posters!) etc...

And the best joke:
With 1080p on my old TV I have NO Performance Issues in this form!

My question is:
Is this normal??? Do you also experienced this issues with 4K Output?

I don't have a 4K display, but loading "TV Shows" library (not folder) posters have always been incredibly slow. By this, I mean to say that given two visible rows of six posters each, and one row of partially visible posters, it will take about 20 seconds to load every item in that current viewport, before I can then scroll down to the next batch of rows, only to wait another 20 seconds or so. This is not an exaggeration: sometimes it can take longer. This wouldn't be as grating if there were titles underneath everything by default instead of on focus, and a right-side track that indicated what letter of the alphabet I've scrolled to, but given the existing behaviour, it's very grating and a hindrance to discovering or seeking out content. "Movies" library posters, in contrast, are just present. There's no loading; they're just there, which is to say that it's fast.

• Infuse Pro Lifetime
  April 22, 2018 - 10:52am
NC Bullseye's picture
Kudos: 355

Is this only happening with the beta version? If not you may want to post this in the open forum for better exposure and ideas.

Either way, just be aware that when you take the 4K TV leap it's a whole new ball game. When I first got mine, I had issues with similar video problems. After hours of trouble shooting I found a few things causing them. First, the HDMI cable. You REALLY need to make sure your cables are rated 4K and are good I had two identical brand new cables and one worked flawlessly and the other had video issues. I could literally fix and then recreate the problem just by switching between the two cables. Second, there's a ton of settings on most 4K TVs that can cause issues. It took some tinkering to get the right balance of settings but it's great now.

I'm now a happy camper with mine but it's defiantly a learning experience.

•Just Another Infuse User• •Not An Employee Of Firecore• •Certified Curmudgeon•

April 22, 2018 - 11:17am
Christian1979's picture
Beta Tester

I have tried every combination of settings 😉
And I use a high speed cable from Belkin, so this could not be the problem...

But it seems this things come frome the native 4K GUI, it seems it’s poor performance in comparison to 1080p...
This happens to Infuse Beta and the App Store Release as well...

TV 4K (32 GB) • tvOS 13 • Infuse Pro 6.1 • Synology DS-216play • Unitymedia Connect Box • Sony MASTER Series AG9

April 22, 2018 - 11:24am
NC Bullseye's picture
  Christian1979 wrote:

I have tried every combination of settings 😉
And I use a high speed cable from Belkin, so this could not be the problem...

But it seems this things come frome the native 4K GUI, it seems it’s poor performance in comparison to 1080p...
This happens to Infuse Beta and the App Store Release as well...

Hate to tell you but the two brand new in the wrappers cables that only one worked were belkin cables.

Hope it all works out for ya.

April 22, 2018 - 12:17pm
NikG's picture
Beta Tester
Kudos: 37

I have an Oled LG B6 ‘All Movies’and ‘All TV Shows’ load mostly instant for me, although blank posters do show for a fraction of a second for TV Shows, maybe it depends on size of library? since I only have 250 Movies and 600 episodes.

The TVOS in general, for me, is not very smooth when scrolling, this isn’t just an infuse problem though you can see it in Netflix as well, a small stutter when scrolling. Also some people can be more susceptible to judder than others.

The Only annoying part I see in infuse is the default favourites icons artwork flashing up for a split second, when items are loading on the infuse homepage.

April 23, 2018 - 7:24am
steelkeys's picture
Kudos: 6

Make sure your Tv doesnt set itz hz to 24 or 30.. that will make the menu seem slow and stuttering..

ive tried it once and it made the difference when i went from setting 24 ghz in the apple tv settings and increasing the HZ.. to 50-60.. much faster in the menu, and then activate the "adjust automatically" then it will switch hz when you play some video

April 23, 2018 - 8:01am
bluetick's picture
Kudos: 0

I have an OLED C7 which is working perfectly with Infuse.

Everything is smooth and quick.. I am using a NAS with Plex to Infuse. Everything works almost instantly from pressing play to scrolling through a hundred films..

Backend is all over Cat6 with managed switch and bonding on the NAS.

April 23, 2018 - 8:05am
Christian1979's picture
Beta Tester

Yes but remember, I don’t mean the output frequency is stuttering!

I mean only the overall performance of tvOS and Infuse... 😉
With 1080p it seems the whole GUI is faster! (Loading All Movies, Loading TV Shows etc)

TV 4K (32 GB) • tvOS 13 • Infuse Pro 6.1 • Synology DS-216play • Unitymedia Connect Box • Sony MASTER Series AG9

April 23, 2018 - 9:53am
NikG's picture
Beta Tester
  Christian1979 wrote:

Yes but remember, I don’t mean the output frequency is stuttering!

I mean only the overall performance of tvOS and Infuse... 😉
With 1080p it seems the whole GUI is faster! (Loading All Movies, Loading TV Shows etc)

What’s your ATV 4K set to? It’s recommended to be set at 4K SDR 60 (match dynamic range and frame rate ON) for oled. Here’s a video explaining it.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?t=109s&v=pNgwkK1iyzg

March 25, 2019 - 8:06pm
Matisito's picture

Hi.
Same is happening to me after I upgraded my tv to 4K.

Did you solve this issue?

March 25, 2019 - 8:16pm
NC Bullseye's picture
  Matisito wrote:

Hi.
Same is happening to me after I upgraded my tv to 4K.

Did you solve this issue?

Welcome to the forum!

Have you tried the offered solutions such as trying new cables? Checking that the correct display options are set?

March 25, 2019 - 10:40pm
Christian1979's picture
Beta Tester

Hey 😉
I have not solved this issue...
I have tried new cables, but this doesn’t help!
But I have returned my 4K TV (by other reasons) and used an FullHD TV instead!
=> With FullHD Resolution it was a little bit faster 😂

This Problem exactly describes my „White Posters“-Issue which I have written on the Beta-Forum!

This Issue has something to do with the Memory usage of Infuse on the AppleTV!!!
With 4K Resolution it takes even more RAM than only FullHD!
And it would be funny to see what happens with a 4K Resolution and Infuse 6 🤣

James, you have to optimize the Artwork-Loading (Custom Artwork first) and the Memory usage to avoid White Flashes (White Posters) and reloading...

March 26, 2019 - 6:57am
Yasoo's picture
  Christian1979 wrote:

Hey 😉
I have not solved this issue...
I have tried new cables, but this doesn’t help!
But I have returned my 4K TV (by other reasons) and used an FullHD TV instead!
=> With FullHD Resolution it was a little bit faster 😂

This Problem exactly describes my „White Posters“-Issue which I have written on the Beta-Forum!

This Issue has something to do with the Memory usage of Infuse on the AppleTV!!!
With 4K Resolution it takes even more RAM than only FullHD!
And it would be funny to see what happens with a 4K Resolution and Infuse 6 🤣

James, you have to optimize the Artwork-Loading (Custom Artwork first) and the Memory usage to avoid White Flashes (White Posters) and reloading...

Just kindly reminder, what's the OLED TV, please ensure to use HDMI2/HDMI3 if you are using Sony TV, enabling the enhanced HDMI feature from TV setting.

On my ATV, the UI get not smooth if set to 4K@24fps, just like your issue. With 4K@60fps output it is pretty good.

March 26, 2019 - 7:07am
Christian1979's picture
Beta Tester

For clarification:
It’s not the tvOS itself or a low Output Framerate, what is here the problem 😉
It’s the Infuse GUI on tvOS, which need to be optimized for lower RAM consumption and better Poster-Caching in some Cases.

It seems the Infuse GUI on a 4K Output takes even more RAM than a FullHD Output...
And that is why „White Posters“ are flashing (or get refreshed) always again...

March 26, 2019 - 9:09pm
Yasoo's picture
  Christian1979 wrote:

For clarification:
It’s not the tvOS itself or a low Output Framerate, what is here the problem 😉
It’s the Infuse GUI on tvOS, which need to be optimized for lower RAM consumption and better Poster-Caching in some Cases.

It seems the Infuse GUI on a 4K Output takes even more RAM than a FullHD Output...
And that is why „White Posters“ are flashing (or get refreshed) always again...

how many apps have you open on ATV? may close some to keep only Infuse active and have a try......

March 26, 2019 - 11:09pm
Christian1979's picture
Beta Tester

I have only Infuse open 🤣

The flashing is often short (during Scrolling „All Movies“ etc) and maybe not everyone notice it at the first look.
But I remember on the 4K TV it was noticeably more flashing visible than with FullHD Output!

March 27, 2019 - 12:31am
Jecht_Sin's picture
Kudos: 18
  Christian1979 wrote:

if you're talking about the custom images, yes, there is an issue that I reported as well, at least for the favourites' icons. Infuse first loads the default ones, and then it loads the custom icons, causing the flashing. It's a small glitch in the code, it should replace the icons (forgetting about the default ones, just stored in case of resetting to default) and not reload the custom icons above the default ones.

Everything else with my 4K HDR Sony Bravia is as fluid in Infuse as in all other apps.Sure there might be some flashing here and there when first loading a poster, but remember that images for 4K displays may have up to 4 times the resolution (so they would take up to 4 times to load from SSD/flash memory).

Then I wouldn't worry about v6. It's supposed to optimise things, not to make them worse! Grin

Sure the first couple of release might have few glitches. But I imagine the whole experience will be superior, also in terms of performances.

March 27, 2019 - 2:51am
Christian1979's picture
Beta Tester

This is exactly what I mean Wink
The „Flashing“ on Favorites or Loading a TV-Show (Thumbnails), loading „All Movies“ etc…

This Bug has been introduced some time ago (before everything loads without „Flashing“!)…

But I think it’s easily to fix, like you said simply to load the „Custom-Artwork“ first instead of „Default-Artwork“ (White Poster, Favorites, colorful Genre-Artwork etc)! And some optimizations on the Code for Memory usage... Smile

March 28, 2019 - 12:23am
Jecht_Sin's picture
Kudos: 18

Yeah, a fix wouldn't take much. Once defined a custom image the code should point the new one since the beginning. But I suppose the developers have much more important things to care about, like the delivery of v6! Smile

July 5, 2019 - 2:47am
Christian1979's picture
Beta Tester

I use a Sony OLED AG9/A9G 4K TV now for some time Smile

But I really have to say:
I use not a 4K Output from my AppleTV 4K, I use 1080p and the TV upscale it to 4K...

Because with native 4K Output the Performance of the complete tvOS and all the Apps are really, really slow and sluggish!
For example:
Simply open a App and close it => The Open/Close Animation is choppy Wink

I experience a noticeably worse performance compared to the 1008p output!

I really, really hope in September/October an announcement for a new updated AppleTV 4K with faster Processor, more RAM etc!
The current 4K Model is simply overwhelmed to render a smooth GUI as 4K Output Frown

July 21, 2019 - 1:25am
jetbootjack's picture

First off let me say I have a specific setup - I run a Plex server (and have all meta data fetching in infuse turned off) and watch video on a 4K Apple TV connected to a latest model SONY 4K (Android) tv. All my connections are power line wired. My server is quite beefy (i7 9700k) - so supports several clients at once.

However the Apple UI is buttery smooth in all Apps including Infuse. All poster art, fan art and thumbnails are instantly displayed in Infuse (and Plex client too) and navigation is super snappy - and The system is set to 4K output.

Whilst I cannot decode your issues, rest assured ATV deals with 4K content and displays just fine, both in Infuse and in general.

sTeVE

July 21, 2019 - 7:16am
JarvisMeier's picture
Beta Tester
Kudos: 34

Like wise my Apple TV performance is also butter smooth on both of my Apple TV’s (one connected to OLED LG TV and the other connected to non-HDR 4K LG LED TV). Performance issues are usually down to poor tv refresh rates or some other weird miacobfiguration on the TV. I’ve seen really weird UI stuff when motion smoothing is enabled on TVs.

July 21, 2019 - 7:44am
NikG's picture
Beta Tester

Maybe the Op should consider that they might have a faulty Apple TV 4K, because the general consensus here is that TVOS set to 4K is fast and smooth when navigating, I see no reason to bring out a new Apple TV! the hardware has enough power to cope with a 4K GUi.

I’ve personally never seen a really slow and sluggish TVOS as you described, and I’ve seen many Apple TV 4Ks on different setups, therefore it is strange hearing from your experience.

July 21, 2019 - 9:55am
XxZombieMedicxX's picture
Kudos: 1

I have the same laggy experience as the OP. I bought a mid-range LG 4K TV and when switching the AppleTV 4K to it, there was an immediate difference in performance. The UI is stuttering and laggy. When the AppleTV 4K was connected to a Samsung 1080p TV, the AppleTV 4K was very fast, fluid, and super smooth. Animations didn't stutter and it was an even better experience from the non-4K Apple TV.

I tried setting adjustments in the AppleTV 4K that was recommended such as turning off the HDR on the AppleTV and setting the match content and frame rate to on. But it didn't make any difference. The 4K AppleTV should definitely have enough power to render its UI smoothly if it can handle playback of high bitrate 4K movie downloads.

I was thinking of calling AppleCare to see if they have any suggestions since my own search for a solution online has turned up no fix. I am running TvOS 13 beta and still no improvement.

July 21, 2019 - 10:15am
bluetick's picture

This is sounding more like a TV issue / setting than Apple TV setting.

Have you tried resetting your TV to factory defaults? change the HDMI port etc?

I have an OLED TV and zero issues with interface or playback.

July 21, 2019 - 10:51am
XxZombieMedicxX's picture
Kudos: 1

I been through all of the TV settings and read the TV's manual. I am going to try a different HDMI port though. Content playback is completely normal in all apps used. Not sure why the UI is not behaving well.

July 21, 2019 - 11:27am
Christian1979's picture
Beta Tester

I use 4K SDR Output and I see a big difference in Performance...

In Infuse for example the Posters are Loading much slower, and I see White Posters...

I have tested everything!
I use a Belkin High Performance HDMI cable, but this not make an improvement!

I think all users get this slower Performance with 4K Output! But they don’t notice it really, because they have no comparison with the 1080p Performance 😉

July 21, 2019 - 11:29am
NikG's picture
Beta Tester
  XxZombieMedicxX wrote:

I been through all of the TV settings and read the TV's manual. I am going to try a different HDMI port though. Content playback is completely normal in all apps used. Not sure why the UI is not behaving well.

Have you tried another 4K TV? make sure you set the ATV 4K to 4K SDR match content and dynamic range on.

July 21, 2019 - 11:34am
Christian1979's picture
Beta Tester

Yes 😉 i have tested 3 different Models (from different manufactures) 😉

On all I get the slow Performance with the 4K Output!

July 21, 2019 - 11:35am
Christian1979's picture
Beta Tester

I don’t use HDR and don’t use content matching... My AppleTV is set to 50hz 4K SDR only