67 posts / 0 new / Last post
  October 25, 2018 - 2:00pm
tr04's picture
Kudos: 4

I went ahead and re-encoded 4K77 and now it works flawlessly with AppleTV and iPhone. I used all the same settings (same bitrate, H.265, etc) so there should be no perceived quality loss compared to the original. Contains 5 english audio tracks and the subtitle track.

Here's a link for a .dlc file that contains all the links to download it (movie is ~88GB, 500MB splits).
* Link removed by mod *

Moderators, feel free to remove my post if it violates any policies.

October 25, 2018 - 2:20pm
RiotNrrrd's picture
Kudos: 1

I went ahead and re-encoded 4K77

Why would Star Wars 4K77 suddenly work on the Apple TV 4K with Infuse after a re-encode?

i.e., what is different about the re-encode vs. the original, jittery version? Lower bitrate?

October 25, 2018 - 2:58pm
tr04's picture
  RiotNrrrd wrote:

Why would Star Wars 4K77 suddenly work on the Apple TV 4K with Infuse after a re-encode?

i.e., what is different about the re-encode vs. the original, jittery version? Lower bitrate?

I don't know. It just does work now. I didn't apply noise reduction, no cropping, matched all the settings to the original file, kept the bitrate identical, etc. The resulting file size is the same.

edit: I did find one difference between the two files, but I'm 95% sure this wouldn't fix/cause any playback problems. My re-encode's video's profile is Main10 Level 5.0 while the original's is Main10 Level 5.1 (apparently Handbrake can't output HEVC at 5.1). However, every UHD Blu-ray is encoded at Level 5.1 and they don't have any playback issues on tvOS and iOS. ¯_(ツ)_/¯

Also good news, the new 4K83 release plays perfectly!

November 2, 2018 - 4:39pm
ozmbie's picture
Kudos: 2

"4K83" plays back for me, but I'm unable to scrub through the video. I was watching it for around 20 minutes before i stopped playback to do something else, and I'm unable to seek through the file. I guess I'll rewatch the first 20 minutes again haha.

April 10, 2019 - 10:29pm
José Maturana's picture

More info for anyone who might be checking in on this thread.

I have the exact same issue with the same file (Star Wars 4K77 2160p) on the same hardware (Infuse 6 on ATV4K, streaming from Mac Mini) and I am 99.9% sure the error is this: THE HEVC STREAM DOES NOT CONTAIN FPS INFORMATION.

If you inspect the file with any kind of stream analyser (eg. demux tool in tsMuxer) it reports "HEVC stream doesn't contain fps field". This would've occurred when the file was authored. In every single other MKV file in my media library, I am going to assume the fps field for the video stream says something along the lines of '23.976', thus ensuring buttery smooth playback.

My educated guess is Infuse is unable to determine the FPS as a result of the missing info in the HEVC stream. This is not an Infuse or hardware problem, but an issue with the file.

Question to the Infuse team is this: can we force an fps setting (or default it to 23.976fps) when fps info is missing from the video stream?

April 12, 2019 - 8:21pm
RiotNrrrd's picture
  José Maturana wrote:

If you inspect the file with any kind of stream analyser (eg. demux tool in tsMuxer) it reports "HEVC stream doesn't contain fps field". This would've occurred when the file was authored.

Interesting theory José, but MediaInfo recognizes it:

Video:
English, 89.4 Mb/s, 3840*2160 (16:9), at 23.976 (24000/1001) FPS, HEVC (Main 10@L5.1@High)

April 14, 2019 - 6:01am
José Maturana's picture

Dang. Right you are, RiotNrrrd. My MediaInfo says the same thing. Interestingly:

• I've tried this same file on VLC and MrMC also. Every app exhibits the same behaviour as Infuse.
• The 1080p version of 4K77 works fine. Looks and plays beautifully (but it's not 4k, obviously).
• The 4K83 release—which is ROTJ 35mm scanned by the same team—works fine in Infuse. It has a slightly lower bitrate than 4K77 and is encoded as HEVC Main 10@L5.0 High (4K77 is Main 10@L5.1 High).
• tsMuxer's stream analysis tool still reports the stream as missing the fps field. Suggests a potential encode issue?

Perhaps this file is just too much for the ATV4K to handle? Wouldn't surprise me if the next Apple TV handled this file without any issues (because upgraded CPU/GPU).

April 14, 2019 - 7:41am
slashtom's picture

Sorry I should have updated you guys

It’s the encoding of this film. If you use ffmpeg to simply re-encode this film using the copy command it fixes the issues.

My 4K Apple TV now plays it flawlessly over WiFi ac. Note the mbit is truly the highest I’ve seen at 85-95.

I also downloaded the dnr 4K version. Couldn’t handle the noise.

April 14, 2019 - 8:03am
tr04's picture

Just FYI everyone, 4K77 has been updated a few times (currently at v1.4) and everything newer than v1.0 plays flawlessly. 4k83 is also at v1.1.

April 14, 2019 - 1:20pm
RiotNrrrd's picture
  José Maturana wrote:

Dang. Right you are, RiotNrrrd. My MediaInfo says the same thing. Interestingly:

• I've tried this same file on VLC and MrMC also. Every app exhibits the same behaviour as Infuse.
• The 1080p version of 4K77 works fine. Looks and plays beautifully (but it's not 4k, obviously).

The interesting thing to me is that my aging LG OLED 65E6P plays it (v1.0) perfectly off of a direct-attached USB stick. If a nearly 3-year-old Smart TV can play it ...

April 14, 2019 - 1:33pm
RiotNrrrd's picture
  tr04 wrote:

Just FYI everyone, 4K77 has been updated a few times (currently at v1.4) and everything newer than v1.0 plays flawlessly. 4k83 is also at v1.1.

Well, fudge ... I just checked Lime and all the sources are dead/no seeders. Nothing on Usenet either (except v1.0). Sigh ...

April 14, 2019 - 1:36pm
RiotNrrrd's picture
  slashtom wrote:

It’s the encoding of this film. If you use ffmpeg to simply re-encode this film using the copy command it fixes the issues.

I wonder if using ffmpeg copy just causes the fps information to be embedded as per José's assertion above.

April 14, 2019 - 1:47pm
tr04's picture
  RiotNrrrd wrote:

Well, fudge ... I just checked Lime and all the sources are dead/no seeders. Nothing on Usenet either (except v1.0). Sigh ...

Don't worry, it's very easy to get them. Just google for Project 4K77 or 4K83 and go the site that's creating it (should be the first search result). They have a forum and you sign up and you can find the downloads real easy.

April 14, 2019 - 1:59pm
RiotNrrrd's picture
  tr04 wrote:

Don't worry, it's very easy to get them. Just google for Project 4K77 or 4K83 and go the site that's creating it (should be the first search result). They have a forum and you sign up and you can find the downloads real easy.

Thanks. It has been several months so I forgot where I got 4K77 v1.0 from originally. And the versions on Usenet are old and incomplete now. (Wonder if L•c•sf•lm ordered some Cancels posted to destroy some of the parts ... puts on tin-foil hat)

April 14, 2019 - 5:49pm
José Maturana's picture

I'll have to hunt down these 1.1 and 1.4 releases for 4K77 and 4K83, respectively. Just like RiotNrrrd I've been unable to find anything but the 1.0 releases of each. Hopefully 1.4 is still being provided in non-DNR? On my projector the DNR looks awful.

April 18, 2019 - 8:29am
José Maturana's picture

UPDATE: Project 4K77 v1.4 plays without a single issue on Infuse. Happy days! Same goes for 4K83 v1.1. If you sign up to the forum linked to these projects, you’ll be able to find the relevant download instructions.

Silver lining: I tried a bunch of new media players to resolve the original issue of stuttering playback and ended up discovering the rather wonderful MrMC. Whilst its interface is not as slick as Infuse’s, its playback options (especially with regards to audio defaults) are light years ahead. I can finally boost volume for the centre channel and DEFAULT IT ACROSS ALL FILES. I’ve been wanting this feature on Infuse forever but it’s been completely ignored by Firecore devs here in the forums.

November 6, 2019 - 3:02am
MacBender's picture
Kudos: 0

4k77 v1.4 and 4k83 v1.1 both buffer for me after a few minutes on tv OS 13.2 / Infuse 6.2. Both work in Plex enhanced player. On the Plex player I see consistent network flows where with Infuse I get seconds of no traffic before the dreaded buffering strikes. Very spikey network graph.

November 8, 2019 - 8:23pm
feder240's picture
Kudos: 3

I'm having similar issues with a high bitrate (~65Mbps) file. I have a wired ATV 4K with a Synology NAS attached (SMB) and am seeing buffering every minute or so. Doesn't happen with ~35Mbps files. Anyone have any suggestions?

November 9, 2019 - 3:18am
robkewit's picture

Also on Synology here, with wired gigabit ethernet and a 4K tv and Apple TV 4K. RIght before each subtitle is displayed, there is a stutter, like a few frames are being dropped.
This does not happen on the tv's own player (LG E9).
This does not happen with VLC on the Apple TV.
So it's an Infuse problem.

November 9, 2019 - 6:11am
feder240's picture
  robkewit wrote:

Also on Synology here, with wired gigabit ethernet and a 4K tv and Apple TV 4K. RIght before each subtitle is displayed, there is a stutter, like a few frames are being dropped.
This does not happen on the tv's own player (LG E9).
This does not happen with VLC on the Apple TV.
So it's an Infuse problem.

Good suggestion about trying on VLC. I tried it on VLC and the problem is much more pronounced. I'm pretty sure it's not a networking problem, since I'm wired gigabit. Possibly an issue with tvOS? The latest iOSes have a memory management bug.

November 9, 2019 - 6:16am
robkewit's picture
  feder240 wrote:

Good suggestion about trying on VLC. I tried it on VLC and the problem is much more pronounced. I'm pretty sure it's not a networking problem, since I'm wired gigabit. Possibly an issue with tvOS? The latest iOSes have a memory management bug.

That's strange then, I think Infuse uses VLCKit under the hood?
Also I think the subtitle-caused stuttering is another issue.
I recorded the problem:
https://sensiblesoftware.be/good.mov
https://sensiblesoftware.be/bad1.mov
https://sensiblesoftware.be/bad2.mov

(Edited my post cause I misinterpreted feder240's post.)

November 9, 2019 - 6:56am
feder240's picture
  robkewit wrote:

That's strange then, I think Infuse uses VLCKit under the hood?
Also I think the subtitle-caused stuttering is another issue.
I recorded the problem:
https://sensiblesoftware.be/good.mov
https://sensiblesoftware.be/bad1.mov
https://sensiblesoftware.be/bad2.mov

(Edited my post cause I misinterpreted feder240's post.)

Yes mine is not related to subtitles. I can try turning on subtitles and see if I'm seeing anything similar. Mine is more of a general buffering problem every minute or so. Just ran SpeedTest on my AppleTV and I'm getting almost 500Mbs, and since everything is local I assume I'm getting at least that streaming from my NAS.

November 10, 2019 - 7:52pm
José Maturana's picture
  MacBender wrote:

4k77 v1.4 and 4k83 v1.1 both buffer for me after a few minutes on tv OS 13.2 / Infuse 6.2. Both work in Plex enhanced player. On the Plex player I see consistent network flows where with Infuse I get seconds of no traffic before the dreaded buffering strikes. Very spike network graph.

Coincidentally, I just watched 4k77 v1.4 again last week and had no issues.

However, I did get two instances of buffering for another 4k film—Ghostbusters (1984). Both buffers happened right before the end credits, which I thought was strange considering the entire film had played with absolutely no issues up to that point.

My setup, in case it helps:

• Mac Mini 2011 running Mac OS High Sierra 10.13.6 (latest version)
• 4k77 mkv file lives on a 5TB Seagate USB3 drive (1 of 3 drives), connected to the Mac Mini via USB2
• Running latest version of Plex
• Mac Mini wired directly to Apple Airport Extreme via CAT6 LAN cable
• Airport Utility reports connection of 866 Mb/s from Airport Extreme to Apple TV
• Assuming the network speed from Mac Mini to Airport Extreme is ~1Gbps
• No other network activity I was aware of at the time

Did you manage to sort your playback issues out?

November 10, 2019 - 8:03pm
JarvisMeier's picture
Beta Tester
Kudos: 52

USB2 might be your bottle neck. 4K movies might be peaking the bandwidth especially if they’re full BD ISO or remux. If you are running time machine backups to USB as well these might be eating up USB bandwidth.

November 10, 2019 - 8:13pm
MacBender's picture

i hope the Infuse team look into how it buffers very high btirate content on the Apple TV. I'd expect my network graphs to show very consistent transfers as the app keeps it's buffers full. But it doesn't - it's like Infuse forgets to ask for more data in time. The fact that the Plex enhenced player works and can consistantly transfer data rules out a ton of variables about my network and Plex server.

November 10, 2019 - 10:05pm
José Maturana's picture
  JarvisMeier wrote:

USB2 might be your bottle neck. 4K movies might be peaking the bandwidth especially if they’re full BD ISO or remux. If you are running time machine backups to USB as well these might be eating up USB bandwidth.

This might very well be the case. All my files are remuxes, so they're running high-ish bitrates. Definitely no time machine backups happening on my movie drives or any kind of concurrent read/write activity I'm aware of. And unfortunately, that Mac model doesn't have USB3 inputs—just plain old vanilla USB2. That said, I've never had issues with Dunkirk 4k, Ghostbusters II 4k or MI: Fallout 4k and those are all very demanding movies from a bandwidth/throughput sense. Maybe it's just a random combination of factors that happened to hit at that moment of Ghostbusters I? Who knows.

November 11, 2019 - 11:38am
reggi's picture

Hi guys! I have same problem. I use infuse 5 pro. When I play 4k hdr movies with Mmrc it works, but with infuse with stuttering. I have a synology Nas and I can say it is not network problem, because with mrmc it works. I have old movies I watched before without problem but now doesn't works...

November 11, 2019 - 11:49am
JarvisMeier's picture
Beta Tester
Kudos: 52
  reggi wrote:

Hi guys! I have same problem. I use infuse 5 pro. When I play 4k hdr movies with Mmrc it works, but with infuse with stuttering. I have a synology Nas and I can say it is not network problem, because with mrmc it works. I have old movies I watched before without problem but now doesn't works...

Are you on tvOS 13? If so that might be why. There were changes made in infuse 6 to specifically make it compatible with tvOS 13.

November 11, 2019 - 12:01pm
reggi's picture

Yes im on tvos13. When im upgrade infuse 6 it will work? When yes I will upgrade.. thanks.

November 11, 2019 - 2:14pm
james's picture
Staff
Kudos: 1,187
  reggi wrote:

Yes im on tvos13. When im upgrade infuse 6 it will work? When yes I will upgrade.. thanks.

Yes, Infuse 6 has been optimized for iOS and tvOS 13, and will allow your HDR videos to play smoothly, as before. Smile

Infuse 6 for iOS and Apple TV is now available!