824 posts / 0 new / Last post
  July 24, 2019 - 5:16am
Blade1001's picture
Kudos: 3

I've just seen the update log for the latest version (6.1.3) of Infuse 6.0 which includes the note:

"- Improved handling of Dolby Audio tracks"

Anyone know exactly what this is, and if there is any implication for Atmos tracks?

July 24, 2019 - 5:37am
Andrewtst's picture
Kudos: 2
  Blade1001 wrote:

I've just seen the update log for the latest version (6.1.3) of Infuse 6.0 which includes the note:

"- Improved handling of Dolby Audio tracks"

Anyone know exactly what this is, and if there is any implication for Atmos tracks?

Not sure but definitely not yet support Atmos.

July 24, 2019 - 6:36am
averyl.0468's picture
Kudos: 0

Not sure if i should get excited or if this is just more false hope... lol

July 24, 2019 - 6:47am
Blade1001's picture
Kudos: 3

My gut instinct is if it fixed the Atmos problem, there'd be a much bigger song and dance about it!

July 26, 2019 - 12:57pm
JarvisMeier's picture
Beta Tester
Kudos: 34
  xinseo wrote:

What does all this mean for TrueHD Atmos?

Nothing. TrueHD with Atmos gets converted to flac. Only eac3+Atmos is supported by some players on tvOS. MrMC has stated they might try to convert tracks on the fly but this is basically still just an idea as nothing has materialized I’m code (it might not even be possible).

July 29, 2019 - 1:29pm
EssamB's picture
Beta Tester
Kudos: 14

I found this good article about Atmos and wanted to share it here;

https://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/dol...

July 29, 2019 - 2:28pm
Cristian's picture
  EssamB wrote:

This article makes it easier to understand what atmos is. It is definitely worth waiting for atv to implement passthrough atmos, if they ever will do it...

July 29, 2019 - 3:32pm
EssamB's picture
Beta Tester
  Cristian wrote:

This article makes it easier to understand what atmos is. It is definitely worth waiting for atv to implement passthrough atmos, if they ever will do it...

It also says that there are good audio tracks where you can't tell, just by listening, whether you are getting Atoms Wink

July 30, 2019 - 4:24pm
blenky's picture
  EssamB wrote:

Atmos via streaming using Digital plus can never match the experience of Atmos via uncompressed True HD. The again not all Atmos tracks on UHD bluray are created equal. Quite a few don't much to a True HD track and IMO added just to warrant the extra cash you have to pay for UHD physical media.

I got an Apple TV to enjoy Atmos on Netflix and what I've experienced so far is marginally better than the Digital plus alone. Maybe someone could suggest something on Netflix which really shines in Atmos?

Also as this thread is to try and convince Apple to allow bit-steaming there is still DTS:X to consider. Not as popular but bloody good!

July 31, 2019 - 2:34am
EssamB's picture
Beta Tester
  blenky wrote:

Atmos via streaming using Digital plus can never match the experience of Atmos via uncompressed True HD. The again not all Atmos tracks on UHD bluray are created equal. Quite a few don't much to a True HD track and IMO added just to warrant the extra cash you have to pay for UHD physical media.

I got an Apple TV to enjoy Atmos on Netflix and what I've experienced so far is marginally better than the Digital plus alone. Maybe someone could suggest something on Netflix which really shines in Atmos?

Also as this thread is to try and convince Apple to allow bit-steaming there is still DTS:X to consider. Not as popular but bloody good!

Try DARK on Netflix.
My receiver switches to DTS:X when it finds a TrueHD Atmos track!

July 31, 2019 - 6:35am
archer75's picture
Kudos: 4
  EssamB wrote:

Try DARK on Netflix.

Netflix doesn’t do TrueHD. Nor are you getting DTS:X as it doesn’t do that either. Nor does the ATV. I don't know of any streaming service that does lossless audio or DTS:X

What’s happening is you’re just getting DD or DD+ and your receiver is doing an upconvert with neural X.
Or it could be sending atmos but you have a setting on the receiver set wrong.

July 31, 2019 - 1:01pm
blenky's picture
  EssamB wrote:

Try DARK on Netflix.

Season 1 of Dark was in Atmos - which I watched before I had the ATV. Season 2 is in DD5.1+. My AV switches to DT Neural X (by choice) when it receives PCM from the ATV,

July 31, 2019 - 3:44pm
EssamB's picture
Beta Tester
  blenky wrote:

Season 1 of Dark was in Atmos - which I watched before I had the ATV. Season 2 is in DD5.1+. My AV switches to DT Neural X (by choice) when it receives PCM from the ATV,

Exactly Smile
I have caused some confusion with my quick short reply, sorry. When I referred to TrueHD Atoms, it was taken in the Netflix context while what I meant was the playback from my own video library; then my receiver switches to DTS Neural:X (and not DTS:X).