901 posts / 0 new / Last post
  July 24, 2019 - 5:16am
Blade1001's picture
Offline
Joined: Jan 2018
Posts: 13
Kudos: 3

I've just seen the update log for the latest version (6.1.3) of Infuse 6.0 which includes the note:

"- Improved handling of Dolby Audio tracks"

Anyone know exactly what this is, and if there is any implication for Atmos tracks?

  July 24, 2019 - 5:37am
Andrewtst's picture
Offline
Joined: Aug 2018
Posts: 14
Kudos: 2
  Blade1001 wrote:

I've just seen the update log for the latest version (6.1.3) of Infuse 6.0 which includes the note:

"- Improved handling of Dolby Audio tracks"

Anyone know exactly what this is, and if there is any implication for Atmos tracks?

Not sure but definitely not yet support Atmos.

  July 24, 2019 - 6:36am
averyl.0468's picture
Offline
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 7
Kudos: 0

Not sure if i should get excited or if this is just more false hope... lol

  July 24, 2019 - 6:47am
Blade1001's picture
Offline
Joined: Jan 2018
Posts: 13
Kudos: 3

My gut instinct is if it fixed the Atmos problem, there'd be a much bigger song and dance about it!

  July 26, 2019 - 12:57pm
JarvisMeier's picture
Beta Tester
Offline
Joined: Dec 2011
Posts: 556
Kudos: 52
  xinseo wrote:

What does all this mean for TrueHD Atmos?

Nothing. TrueHD with Atmos gets converted to flac. Only eac3+Atmos is supported by some players on tvOS. MrMC has stated they might try to convert tracks on the fly but this is basically still just an idea as nothing has materialized I’m code (it might not even be possible).

  July 29, 2019 - 1:29pm
EssamB's picture
Beta Tester
Offline
Joined: Mar 2018
Posts: 94
Kudos: 19

I found this good article about Atmos and wanted to share it here;

https://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/dol...

  July 29, 2019 - 2:28pm
Cristian's picture
Offline
Joined: Mar 2018
Posts: 7
Kudos: 0
  EssamB wrote:

I found this good article about Atmos and wanted to share it here;

https://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/dol...

This article makes it easier to understand what atmos is. It is definitely worth waiting for atv to implement passthrough atmos, if they ever will do it...

  July 29, 2019 - 3:32pm
EssamB's picture
Beta Tester
Offline
Joined: Mar 2018
Posts: 94
Kudos: 19
  Cristian wrote:

This article makes it easier to understand what atmos is. It is definitely worth waiting for atv to implement passthrough atmos, if they ever will do it...

It also says that there are good audio tracks where you can't tell, just by listening, whether you are getting Atoms Wink

  July 30, 2019 - 4:24pm
blenky's picture
Offline
Joined: Apr 2019
Posts: 12
Kudos: 0
  EssamB wrote:

I found this good article about Atmos and wanted to share it here;

https://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/dol...

Atmos via streaming using Digital plus can never match the experience of Atmos via uncompressed True HD. The again not all Atmos tracks on UHD bluray are created equal. Quite a few don't much to a True HD track and IMO added just to warrant the extra cash you have to pay for UHD physical media.

I got an Apple TV to enjoy Atmos on Netflix and what I've experienced so far is marginally better than the Digital plus alone. Maybe someone could suggest something on Netflix which really shines in Atmos?

Also as this thread is to try and convince Apple to allow bit-steaming there is still DTS:X to consider. Not as popular but bloody good!

  July 31, 2019 - 2:34am
EssamB's picture
Beta Tester
Offline
Joined: Mar 2018
Posts: 94
Kudos: 19
  blenky wrote:

Atmos via streaming using Digital plus can never match the experience of Atmos via uncompressed True HD. The again not all Atmos tracks on UHD bluray are created equal. Quite a few don't much to a True HD track and IMO added just to warrant the extra cash you have to pay for UHD physical media.

I got an Apple TV to enjoy Atmos on Netflix and what I've experienced so far is marginally better than the Digital plus alone. Maybe someone could suggest something on Netflix which really shines in Atmos?

Also as this thread is to try and convince Apple to allow bit-steaming there is still DTS:X to consider. Not as popular but bloody good!

Try DARK on Netflix.
My receiver switches to DTS:X when it finds a TrueHD Atmos track!

  July 31, 2019 - 6:35am
archer75's picture
Offline
Joined: Jun 2018
Posts: 44
Kudos: 4
  EssamB wrote:

Try DARK on Netflix.
My receiver switches to DTS:X when it finds a TrueHD Atmos track!

Netflix doesn’t do TrueHD. Nor are you getting DTS:X as it doesn’t do that either. Nor does the ATV. I don't know of any streaming service that does lossless audio or DTS:X

What’s happening is you’re just getting DD or DD+ and your receiver is doing an upconvert with neural X.
Or it could be sending atmos but you have a setting on the receiver set wrong.

  July 31, 2019 - 1:01pm
blenky's picture
Offline
Joined: Apr 2019
Posts: 12
Kudos: 0
  EssamB wrote:

Try DARK on Netflix.
My receiver switches to DTS:X when it finds a TrueHD Atmos track!

Season 1 of Dark was in Atmos - which I watched before I had the ATV. Season 2 is in DD5.1+. My AV switches to DT Neural X (by choice) when it receives PCM from the ATV,

  July 31, 2019 - 3:44pm
EssamB's picture
Beta Tester
Offline
Joined: Mar 2018
Posts: 94
Kudos: 19
  blenky wrote:

Season 1 of Dark was in Atmos - which I watched before I had the ATV. Season 2 is in DD5.1+. My AV switches to DT Neural X (by choice) when it receives PCM from the ATV,

Exactly Smile
I have caused some confusion with my quick short reply, sorry. When I referred to TrueHD Atoms, it was taken in the Netflix context while what I meant was the playback from my own video library; then my receiver switches to DTS Neural:X (and not DTS:X).

  August 29, 2019 - 12:29pm
bl4ck's picture
Offline
Joined: Aug 2019
Posts: 53
Kudos: 8

Done

  September 2, 2019 - 8:41am
saji2020's picture
Offline
Joined: Aug 2018
Posts: 31
Kudos: 3

I upgraded by AVR to Marantz SR5013 and have 5.1 PSB speakers setup, great sound for my room

When I play Netflix vids having Dolby Atmos through by ATV 4K hooked to AVR and then to TV, I do get Atmos signal to my AVR however I noticed it doesn’t gives details of input audio signal like how many channels it has just says Atmos, I suspect Netflix is sending Atmos signal on 5.1 channels itself .... is my understanding correct ? Someone can explain me better pls ?

Also ATV 4K sends all other 5.1 or 7.1 dts Dolby etc as PCM signal to AVR which AVR reads as multichannel....so is ATV decoding Dolby or dts signal first and then sending as bit stream ? And if so then is the quality lost as opposed to sending pass through Dolby or dts signals ?

  September 2, 2019 - 2:34pm
saji2020's picture
Offline
Joined: Aug 2018
Posts: 31
Kudos: 3

Also I just noticed that MRMC does atmos just like Netflix , EAC3Atmos / 6

Can’t this be implemented in Infuse ?

  September 3, 2019 - 2:53am
EssamB's picture
Beta Tester
Offline
Joined: Mar 2018
Posts: 94
Kudos: 19
  saji2020 wrote:

Also I just noticed that MRMC does atmos just like Netflix , EAC3Atmos / 6

Can’t this be implemented in Infuse ?

I’m sure infuse could integrate that; in fact the native player in tvOS 13 can pass through atmos EAC3 (Check Plex, e.g.) but most media have atmos with TRueHD and this isn’t implemented yet in any player I know under tvOS.

  September 3, 2019 - 4:07am
saji2020's picture
Offline
Joined: Aug 2018
Posts: 31
Kudos: 3

MRMC is able to do Atmos with dolby digital plus with TVOS 12.4 itself, works perfect

not sure why Infuse cannot implement at least this until TRUE HD pass through is enabled by apple

we definitely need the Atmos with DD+ enabled pls....

Infuse team : Can you pls implement the Atmos which works with DD+ tracks, like Netflix and MRMC also does Atmos with DD+tracks, it even works in TVOS 12.4

  September 3, 2019 - 4:44pm
EssamB's picture
Beta Tester
Offline
Joined: Mar 2018
Posts: 94
Kudos: 19
  saji2020 wrote:

MRMC is able to do Atmos with dolby digital plus with TVOS 12.4 itself, works perfect

not sure why Infuse cannot implement at least this until TRUE HD pass through is enabled by apple

we definitely need the Atmos with DD+ enabled pls....

Infuse team : Can you pls implement the Atmos which works with DD+ tracks, like Netflix and MRMC also does Atmos with DD+tracks, it even works in TVOS 12.4

Based on my personal experience, Neural:X up-mix is very close to Atmos.

  September 4, 2019 - 1:34am
saji2020's picture
Offline
Joined: Aug 2018
Posts: 31
Kudos: 3
  EssamB wrote:

Based on my personal experience, Neural:X up-mix is very close to Atmos.

very close but not Atmos, where we can have real atmos and if other apps can implement then Infuse should also.

  September 4, 2019 - 1:49am
Blade1001's picture
Offline
Joined: Jan 2018
Posts: 13
Kudos: 3
  saji2020 wrote:

MRMC is able to do Atmos with dolby digital plus with TVOS 12.4 itself, works perfect

not sure why Infuse cannot implement at least this until TRUE HD pass through is enabled by apple

we definitely need the Atmos with DD+ enabled pls....

Infuse team : Can you pls implement the Atmos which works with DD+ tracks, like Netflix and MRMC also does Atmos with DD+tracks, it even works in TVOS 12.4

I'm not clear what you are suggesting here? Are you saying you want Infuse to somehow transcode our lossless TrueHD Atmos rips to lossy DD+? Or are you saying you already have ripped titles with DD+ included?

Personally all my rips are TrueHD Atmos only, and I'd take lossless LPCM with an upmixer over lossy DD+ with Atmos metadata given the choice.

  September 4, 2019 - 2:12am
saji2020's picture
Offline
Joined: Aug 2018
Posts: 31
Kudos: 3
  Blade1001 wrote:

I'm not clear what you are suggesting here? Are you saying you want Infuse to somehow transcode our lossless TrueHD Atmos rips to lossy DD+? Or are you saying you already have ripped titles with DD+ included?

Personally all my rips are TrueHD Atmos only, and I'd take lossless LPCM with an upmixer over lossy DD+ with Atmos metadata given the choice.

not suggesting any complex Smile
we know how Netflix and apps like MRMC does Atmos ... by DD+Atmos tracks (and not Dolby True HD tracks), so all I am asking is Infuse also implement that,
with this any files with DD+Atmos can be played as real Atmos and not PCM

leave the True HD tracks as per current implementation as lossless PCM as its ATV limitation for now

hope I am clear ?

  September 4, 2019 - 2:20am
EssamB's picture
Beta Tester
Offline
Joined: Mar 2018
Posts: 94
Kudos: 19
  Blade1001 wrote:

I'm not clear what you are suggesting here? Are you saying you want Infuse to somehow transcode our lossless TrueHD Atmos rips to lossy DD+? Or are you saying you already have ripped titles with DD+ included?

Personally all my rips are TrueHD Atmos only, and I'd take lossless LPCM with an upmixer over lossy DD+ with Atmos metadata given the choice.

Agree; this is what I do currently!

  September 5, 2019 - 8:40am
lazer's picture
Offline
Joined: Mar 2016
Posts: 28
Kudos: 0
  EssamB wrote:

I found this good article about Atmos and wanted to share it here;

https://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/dol...

Good article but, isn't this statement incorrect: "but Plex on an Apple TV 4K will only handle Atmos over Dolby Digital Plus"

Anyone here confirm that Plex can actually do that on an AppleTV? I thought the whole issue was that Apple wouldn't allow that?

  September 5, 2019 - 10:38am
JarvisMeier's picture
Beta Tester
Offline
Joined: Dec 2011
Posts: 556
Kudos: 52
  lazer wrote:

Good article but, isn't this statement incorrect: "but Plex on an Apple TV 4K will only handle Atmos over Dolby Digital Plus"

Anyone here confirm that Plex can actually do that on an AppleTV? I thought the whole issue was that Apple wouldn't allow that?

I don’t know about plex but MrMC does it.

  September 5, 2019 - 10:57am
Andrewtst's picture
Offline
Joined: Aug 2018
Posts: 14
Kudos: 2
  lazer wrote:

Good article but, isn't this statement incorrect: "but Plex on an Apple TV 4K will only handle Atmos over Dolby Digital Plus"

Anyone here confirm that Plex can actually do that on an AppleTV? I thought the whole issue was that Apple wouldn't allow that?

Not Plex but MrMC do support Atmos in DD+

  September 5, 2019 - 11:12am
EssamB's picture
Beta Tester
Offline
Joined: Mar 2018
Posts: 94
Kudos: 19
  Andrewtst wrote:

Not Plex but MrMC do support Atmos in DD+

In fact, when I play the Atmos EAC3 demo media with Plex client using the native player under tvOS 13, my AVR shows atmos in the display, so, it seems that Plex tvOS 13 can pass through EAC3 Atmos, True HD is not!

  September 5, 2019 - 11:14am
migzy_1's picture
Offline
Joined: Mar 2019
Posts: 12
Kudos: 0

stop wasting your time with the apple tv and go get a nvdia shield that supports everything thrown at it

  September 5, 2019 - 11:42am
archer75's picture
Offline
Joined: Jun 2018
Posts: 44
Kudos: 4
  migzy_1 wrote:

stop wasting your time with the apple tv and go get a nvdia shield that supports everything thrown at it

Except dolby vision. And it doesn't play atmos in Netflix.

And the shield has poor image quality next to the ATV4k. I have a shield. I use it to collect dust.

  September 5, 2019 - 12:05pm
slashtom's picture
Offline
Joined: Jun 2018
Posts: 10
Kudos: 1

Guys this is very simple.

Can we get DD+ version of atmos (yes lossy) the reason for this is because people are starting to rip 4k UHD movies with Dolby Vision and DD+ Atmos, yes it's lossy but I'd rather watch a film in DV and DD+ Atmos versus DV and LPCM 5.1 or HDR10 and LPCM 7.1 Lossless.