890 posts / 0 new / Last post
  October 23, 2019 - 2:51am
eabitbol's picture
Beta Tester
Kudos: 2
  ShaGe wrote:

Hopefully! But Atmos support might not mean that it works via passthrough. It could just be Atmos metadata with the DD+ audio and ****could**** just be limited to Netflix and the iTunes Store for movies. Hopefully not, though! Fingers crossed for passthrough up to TrueHD and DTS MA.

Hi, i've been waiting for Dolby Atmos and DTS X support like forever... and of course i signed the petition for Apple since day 1... but even with iOS 13 i've seen no updates on this front.
I wanted to check on the passtrhru problem and some aof my friends told me that they had the same problem with a MiBox 3 (Android Tv... YUK) but that Kodi had solved the problem. So i reluctantly bought a Xiaomi MiBox 3 and installed Kodi and as soon as i enabled 'Passtrhu' all my Dolby Atmos and DTS X content started working like magic !!!
I'm a beta tester of Infuse so please guys, do eanble a passthru mode and allow us to at least try it, please !

On a related subject, i would like to have a way to know what's playing (video and audio) in Infuse. Most of the other software (including Netflix) offer an 'info' button that overlay the video resolution and the audio (2.0, 5.1, 7.1 or 7.4) and the Codec (AAC, Dolby Digital, DTS, Dolby Atmos or DTX X)
It woild really make mu day if you guys implemented this which seems quite esay to do.

Kind regards,

Elie

October 23, 2019 - 12:29pm
Joe Lighty's picture
Kudos: 0

On a related subject, i would like to have a way to know what's playing (video and audio) in Infuse. Most of the other software (including Netflix) offer an 'info' button that overlay the video resolution and the audio (2.0, 5.1, 7.1 or 7.4) and the Codec (AAC, Dolby Digital, DTS, Dolby Atmos or DTX X)

+1 to this request and also an update regarding the pass-thru situation would be greatly appreciated.

October 23, 2019 - 12:56pm
JarvisMeier's picture
Beta Tester
Kudos: 52
  Joe Lighty wrote:

+1 to this request and also an update regarding the pass-thru situation would be greatly appreciated.

Passthrough is still not supported by Apple.

October 23, 2019 - 1:52pm
naren's picture
  eabitbol wrote:

Hi, i've been waiting for Dolby Atmos and DTS X support like forever... and of course i signed the petition for Apple since day 1... but even with iOS 13 i've seen no updates on this front.
I wanted to check on the passtrhru problem and some aof my friends told me that they had the same problem with a MiBox 3 (Android Tv... YUK) but that Kodi had solved the problem. So i reluctantly bought a Xiaomi MiBox 3 and installed Kodi and as soon as i enabled 'Passtrhu' all my Dolby Atmos and DTS X content started working like magic !!!
I'm a beta tester of Infuse so please guys, do eanble a passthru mode and allow us to at least try it, please !

It woild really make mu day if you guys implemented this which seems quite esay to do.

Kind regards,

Elie

Infuse can't enable audio bitstreaming as Apple doesn't (and likely will never) provide the necessary APIs.

November 4, 2019 - 1:47am
hrabcakm's picture

I'm very sad from missing Pass-through support from Apple side. Infuse PRO is great application for playing and aggregating my local library. For me that was the main reason to give away my new Apple TV and come back to Nvidia Shield TV, which is great device but not fitting to my Apple Ecosystem as I would. Hope Apple will consider our suggestion and put this support back in some future Apple TV and tvOS revision. Can't see to much power to influence Apple Devs.

Fingers crossed.

Regards,
M.

November 4, 2019 - 2:02am
eabitbol's picture
Beta Tester

Hey @hrabcakm ,

It's funny that you say that because i just ordered an Nvidia Shield TV Pro because i'm fed up with Aplle's non response policy !
I'll keep my AppleTV and there's nothing out there in the Android world that compares with Infuse... but what can you do ?

Regards,

Elie

November 4, 2019 - 8:42am
JarvisMeier's picture
Beta Tester
  eabitbol wrote:

Hey @hrabcakm ,

It's funny that you say that because i just ordered an Nvidia Shield TV Pro because i'm fed up with Aplle's non response policy !
I'll keep my AppleTV and there's nothing out there in the Android world that compares with Infuse... but what can you do ?

Regards,

Elie

Im in the same boat and run a multi box environment. Right now nothing can touch the Apple TV in terms of interoperability with other iOS devices as well as apps in the streaming space. I have a separate Zidoo box for watching movies which might get swapped out for the new shield if it doesn’t have any weird frame rate or colour space issues.

November 7, 2019 - 11:38pm
hrabcakm's picture

Pray for pass-through. Smile

tvOS 13.3 Beta is out and it seems that there is no any hint for audio bit-stream support.

November 11, 2019 - 7:48am
JasKrau's picture

Forgive me if this has already been discussed, but with Apple TV+ being released this past week I noticed something. When I play any movie that contains Atmos/DTS-X from my Plex library, my Denon receiver displays Multi-In, which seems to be the norm for most people BUT, watching See and The Morning Show this past weekend, my receiver is actually displaying Atmos. I was under the impression that the Apple Tv couldn't do passthrough audio. Any idea why streaming from Apple TV+ shows Atmos, but anything else doesn't?

November 11, 2019 - 8:40am
archer75's picture
Kudos: 4
  JasKrau wrote:

Forgive me if this has already been discussed, but with Apple TV+ being released this past week I noticed something. When I play any movie that contains Atmos/DTS-X from my Plex library, my Denon receiver displays Multi-In, which seems to be the norm for most people BUT, watching See and The Morning Show this past weekend, my receiver is actually displaying Atmos. I was under the impression that the Apple Tv couldn't do passthrough audio. Any idea why streaming from Apple TV+ shows Atmos, but anything else doesn't?

Atmos is supported for streaming content. This is lossy on DD+. It does not support lossless atmos/truehd for local rips.

November 11, 2019 - 8:44am
JasKrau's picture
  archer75 wrote:

Atmos is supported for streaming content. This is lossy on DD+. It does not support lossless atmos/truehd for local rips.

Fair enough, makes sense.

November 14, 2019 - 11:12am
xazac's picture
Beta Tester

If I connect my Apple TV directly to HDMI-IN on Samsung Soundbar HW-Q90R will I get Dolby Atmos on Infuse?

I played some content from AppleTV+ and my soundbar showed “Dolby Atmos” on his display but it doesn’t when I play from Infuse.

Thanks.

EDIT:
Have you guys reported this feedback to Apple as explained on the first post?
I reported it on September 17th and Feedback.app says there are no similar reports.

Attachments: 

LG OLED 65E9PLA, Apple TV 4K, Soundbar Samsung HW-Q90R, NAS Synology DS418

November 14, 2019 - 12:45pm
eabitbol's picture
Beta Tester

Hi,

Unfortunately NO !
It's not the Samsung (i have the very same soundbar) and it's not Infuse... Apple disabled Atmos and DTS HD from local files since TVOS 12.4
I'm using the latest betas of both TVOS and Infuse Pro and it's not possible.
On the othe hand, every movie you purchase on the Apple Movie Store( or any TV Series from AppleTV+) that has Atmos will play beautifully on the Q90.
I was so tired of waiting from Apple to listen to customers that i went out and bought an Nvidia Shield TV Pro which now shares the input of the Q90 with my Apple TV.
The Nvidia plays anything you throw at it but Kodi or Plex cannot compare to my beloved Infuse Pro... so i switch boxes depending on the movies and sound i want.
Kind regards,
Elie

November 14, 2019 - 12:53pm
xazac's picture
Beta Tester
  eabitbol wrote:

Hi,

Unfortunately NO !
It's not the Samsung (i have the very same soundbar) and it's not Infuse... Apple disabled Atmos and DTS HD from local files since TVOS 12.4
I'm using the latest betas of both TVOS and Infuse Pro and it's not possible.
On the othe hand, every movie you purchase on the Apple Movie Store( or any TV Series from AppleTV+) that has Atmos will play beautifully on the Q90.
I was so tired of waiting from Apple to listen to customers that i went out and bought an Nvidia Shield TV Pro which now shares the input of the Q90 with my Apple TV.
The Nvidia plays anything you throw at it but Kodi or Plex cannot compare to my beloved Infuse Pro... so i switch boxes depending on the movies and sound i want.
Kind regards,
Elie

Hi Elie,

Thank you for your reply.
I saw about NVidia Shield TV Pro but I dislike the fact that it still has HDMI 2.0b (since I have a LG OLED TV with future proof HDMI 2.1).
It also has no WiFi 6 nor HDR10+. And there is no Infuse for Android of course.

So I will NOT buy a Shield, I wish Apple will hear our feedbacks.

November 14, 2019 - 1:12pm
blenky's picture
  xazac wrote:

Hi Elie,

I saw about NVidia Shield TV Pro but I dislike the fact that it still has HDMI 2.0b (since I have a LG OLED TV with future proof HDMI 2.1).

Does the ATV have any of those things that the new Shield does not have? Apple will never enable passthrough - why should they bother. If you want lossless audio from local sources the new Shield is an excellent choice. Like Elle I switch between the ATV and Shield depending on what I'm watching. The ATV is king for streaming and the Shield is king for local files, The Shields AI upscaler is awesome as well. If there was Infuse for Android the ATV would go bye bye!

November 14, 2019 - 3:59pm
JarvisMeier's picture
Beta Tester
  xazac wrote:

Hi Elie,

The Apple TV also doesn’t support HDR10+. Your LG oled also doesn’t support HDR10+. The new shield does support Dolby vision single layer as well as Atmos pass through. The Apple TV is also HDMI 2.0a and not 2.1. 2.1 is really only needed for dynamic refresh and 8K. Dynamic refresh is really only useful on gaming consoles that support it.

Hardware wise the shield is finally on par with the Apple TV 4K. When it comes to pure media playback I’d hedge my bets on the new shield.

November 15, 2019 - 6:54am
xazac's picture
Beta Tester
  blenky wrote:

Does the ATV have any of those things that the new Shield does not have? Apple will never enable passthrough - why should they bother. If you want lossless audio from local sources the new Shield is an excellent choice. Like Elle I switch between the ATV and Shield depending on what I'm watching. The ATV is king for streaming and the Shield is king for local files, The Shields AI upscaler is awesome as well. If there was Infuse for Android the ATV would go bye bye!

Okay, I will reconsider it.

Which player do you use/suggest on that device?
I tried Kodi on a Mi Box S running Android TV this morning and I really dislike it. It's so messy and so Windows-style. Bleah.

I really don't want to use any other player than Infuse.

November 15, 2019 - 7:23am
xinseo's picture
Beta Tester
Kudos: 5
  xazac wrote:

I tried Kodi on a Mi Box S running Android TV this morning and I really dislike it. It's so messy and so Windows-style. Bleah.

MrMC works well. Kodi with a nice enough skin is decent too.

November 15, 2019 - 9:48am
blenky's picture
  xazac wrote:

The thing is there is no Android player that is as simple and elegant as Infuse. The nearest is MrMc. Its based on Kodi but stripped back to remove clutter. Even so there is a bit of a learning curve to get the best out of it to ensure you get optimal video and sound quality. Another alternative is using Plex. That has a minimal clean interface but you need to have a Plex server running either on the Shield (if you get the Pro) or an external source such as a NAS.