721 posts / 0 new / Last post
  June 19, 2018 - 7:24pm
aviationwiz's picture
Kudos: 1
  smhealey wrote:

If I understand correctly you are able under certain settings play local content and your receiver reports Atmos audio using plex addon in infuse?

If so, can you play the same local content directly in Infuse and have your receiver report Atmos audio?

That is correct - I just went ahead and tried it direct (as opposed to via the Plex Media Server), and it does display Atmos, though it's a bit glitchy - it occasionally cuts out, delay in starting to play audio, etc.

June 19, 2018 - 7:37pm
smhealey's picture
Kudos: 2
  aviationwiz wrote:

That is correct - I just went ahead and tried it direct (as opposed to via the Plex Media Server), and it does display Atmos, though it's a bit glitchy - it occasionally cuts out, delay in starting to play audio, etc.

That is interesting news. At least there is a path for a certain type of audio which might lead to other types. From your perspective this has another path for improvement.

June 19, 2018 - 9:32pm
bton's picture
Kudos: 0

With latest TVOS 12 beta 2 I could not play any movie in Infuse Pro. I got this error message when play any movie "An error occurred loading this content".

June 19, 2018 - 9:37pm
samwelnella's picture
Beta Tester

I was getting the same error. Turning off Atmos in the settings allowed me to play videos in Infuse again.

June 20, 2018 - 4:46am
dhruv's picture

Updated to tvOS 12 Beta 2, the implementation of Atmos is definitely a big change which will mean apps need updates. I couldn't get any of my local Atmos content to play with passthrough in Infuse (as expected given Infuse likely needs to be updated once we understand the new Audio APIs in the OS), however - very strangely - all my non-Atmos content (such as DTS films) would make my AVR light up with "Atmos" but inevitably played with no volume at all. This makes sense given they don't contain any Atmos metadata, but it's still odd that they were being interpreted as Atmos files by the ATV to begin with.

Also tested MrMC and the passthrough option was still decoding on the ATV and passing LPCM to my AVR.

Looking forward to seeing what devs uncover re: the implementation in the near future. Fingers crossed there is a public bitstream option that they can use.

June 20, 2018 - 9:37am
bobking's picture
Kudos: 3

All set to auto both in infuse and atv, play a 7.1 atmos true HD movie via SMB, the receiver displays Atmos LPCM 48k, if change infuse audio to passthrough, same as Atmos LPCM 48k...

June 20, 2018 - 9:41am
james's picture
Staff
Kudos: 982

Quick update.

Atmos support is at the top of our list, but unfortunately it doesn't seem like Apple has released any documentation for how apps can implement Atmos just yet.

https://developer.apple.com/search/?q=atmos&type=Reference&platform=tvOS

The wait continues...

Subscribe to Infuse Pro and get a free upgrade to Infuse 6 in early 2019!

June 20, 2018 - 9:48am
bton's picture

The weird thing is some people can play movies with Infuse in latest beta, others like me just get error.

June 20, 2018 - 9:51am
james's picture
Staff
  bton wrote:

The weird thing is some people can play movies with Infuse in latest beta, others like me just get error.

For now, if you disable Dolby Atmos you should be able to play videos normally in Infuse.

June 20, 2018 - 10:04am
bobking's picture
Kudos: 3
  james wrote:

Quick update.

Atmos support is at the top of our list, but unfortunately it doesn't seem like Apple has released any documentation for how apps can implement Atmos just yet.

https://developer.apple.com/search/?q=atmos&type=Reference&platform=tvOS

The wait continues...

Maybe fire a support request to Apple so they could give some resources to dev, but I highly doubt this... XD

June 20, 2018 - 10:09am
james's picture
Staff
  bobking wrote:

Maybe fire a support request to Apple so they could give some resources to dev, but I highly doubt this... XD

Already done. Wink

June 20, 2018 - 11:28am
OlivierQC's picture
Beta Tester
Kudos: 1
  bton wrote:

Thanks I will try

Egreat A11, Zidoo X20 PRO and Apple TV 4K with the great Infuse PRO

June 20, 2018 - 11:31am
gbastug's picture
Kudos: 4

My experience was this:

Launching Infuse and playing a UHD Atmos title rendered left and right audio channels only, though my processor indicated Dolby ATMOS/Dolby TrueHD - Bitstream 48000 Hz sampling rate....

Attachments: 
  June 20, 2018 - 11:55am
IMWhizzle's picture
Beta Tester
Kudos: 27
  james wrote:

For now, if you disable Dolby Atmos you should be able to play videos normally in Infuse.

Must be soon. Netflix will also support Atmos so this missing documentation will surface soon I presume.

June 20, 2018 - 12:54pm
patrick.corrado's picture

I get video but no audio with Atmos tracks. As suggested by James, turning off Atmos fixes the issue.

I also noticed that some non-Atmos tracks are showing as Atmos and not playing (mostly DTS and TrueHD tracks). I believe someone else has this issue, as noted earlier in the thread.

June 20, 2018 - 9:05pm
JarvisMeier's picture
Kudos: 19

I don’t think I’ve seen this mentioned but the iTunes movies are showing up on my Sony receiver as “ATMOS - LPCM”. It looks like Apple isn’t doing pass through for their content.

June 21, 2018 - 4:05am
gbastug's picture

I don’t think that’s possible. Atmos must be bitstreamed. Perhaps that’s indicating you have DSU applied to a PCM signal.

The only iTunes titles I’ve found so far that plays as Atmos is Blade Runnder 2049, and it indicates bitstream on my processor.All channels are lit with no upmixer engaged.

June 21, 2018 - 6:11am
timstephens24's picture
Beta Tester
Kudos: 112
  gbastug wrote:

The only iTunes titles I’ve found so far that plays as Atmos is Blade Runnder 2049, and it indicates bitstream on my processor.All channels are lit with no upmixer engaged.

This is what I got too playing Blade Runner 2049. Just Atmos with all the channels lit up (and sound coming from them).

Apple TV 4K --> Denon X6500H 7.1.4 --> LG OLED65C6P
======== SYNOLOGY DS1815+ DS513 ========
iPhone XS Max ||| iPad Pro 10.5

June 21, 2018 - 10:03am
smhealey's picture
  gbastug wrote:

I don’t think that’s possible. Atmos must be bitstreamed. Perhaps that’s indicating you have DSU applied to a PCM signal.

https://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1505495519

Blade Runner 2049
Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle
Justice League
Paddington 2
Ready Player One
The LEGO Batman Movie
Transformers: The Last Knight
Mad Max Fury Road
John Wick 2

June 21, 2018 - 10:06am

I own John Wick 2, Justice League and Lego Batman on iTunes. On 12b2. No Atmos for me. I do get the Atmos track on Vudu for Justice League.

June 21, 2018 - 10:08am
gbastug's picture
  smhealey wrote:

https://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1505495519

Blade Runner 2049
Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle
Justice League
Paddington 2
Ready Player One
The LEGO Batman Movie
Transformers: The Last Knight
Mad Max Fury Road
John Wick 2

I have several of those titles in 4k in iTunes, and none stream Atmos currently except BR2049. Obviously it's only a matter of time before that changes, but since Atmos was never supported before a few days ago, I don't even know how a list like that is compiled...

June 21, 2018 - 11:09am
smhealey's picture
  gbastug wrote:

I have several of those titles in 4k in iTunes, and none stream Atmos currently except BR2049. Obviously it's only a matter of time before that changes, but since Atmos was never supported before a few days ago, I don't even know how a list like that is compiled...

That list was only 4k/UHD/HDR prior to release of Beta 2. It was updated on release day for Atmos and titles have been added since.

June 21, 2018 - 3:45pm
JarvisMeier's picture
  gbastug wrote:

I don’t think it’s DSU as all non-ATMOS tracks indicate LPCM without the Atmos logo. On my crappy Zidoo X9S Atmos tracks show as Dolby Atmos - TrueHD. The Dolby Atmos text only shows on the amp if it detects the added meta data. For reference the amp is a Sony STR-DN1080.

June 21, 2018 - 4:04pm
gbastug's picture
  JarvisMeier wrote:

I don’t think it’s DSU as all non-ATMOS tracks indicate LPCM without the Atmos logo. On my crappy Zidoo X9S Atmos tracks show as Dolby Atmos - TrueHD. The Dolby Atmos text only shows on the amp if it detects the added meta data. For reference the amp is a Sony STR-DN1080.

ATMOS metadata is embedded in the TrueHD or DD+ bitstream, I don’t know that it can be processed anywhere but an Atmos receiver or processor and that means sending bitstream not unpacking it

From Dolby’s site:

“To get the best sound quality out of a television or home theater system, it's best if they receive a Dolby bitstream over HDMI. Additionally, there is NO way of sending Dolby Atmos over PCM over HDMI, so you have to send Dolby Digital Plus or Dolby TrueHD to get the Dolby Atmos experience.”

But I’m glad to learn more if someone can correct me...

June 21, 2018 - 5:15pm
JarvisMeier's picture
  gbastug wrote:

ATMOS metadata is embedded in the TrueHD or DD+ bitstream, I don’t know that it can be processed anywhere but an Atmos receiver or processor and that means sending bitstream not unpacking it

From Dolby’s site:

“To get the best sound quality out of a television or home theater system, it's best if they receive a Dolby bitstream over HDMI. Additionally, there is NO way of sending Dolby Atmos over PCM over HDMI, so you have to send Dolby Digital Plus or Dolby TrueHD to get the Dolby Atmos experience.”

But I’m glad to learn more if someone can correct me...

It doesn’t make sense to me either. I’m just reporting what I’m seeing. I didn’t think it was possible either. It kind of makes sense. PCM allows Apple to inject their own audio mix in with whatever is playing.. until Apple has more official documentation all we can do is speculate.

June 21, 2018 - 5:26pm
gbastug's picture
  JarvisMeier wrote:

It doesn’t make sense to me either. I’m just reporting what I’m seeing. I didn’t think it was possible either. It kind of makes sense. PCM allows Apple to inject their own audio mix in with whatever is playing.. until Apple has more official documentation all we can do is speculate.

I guess whats odd is my Trinnov prcoessor simply shows it as bitstream... I suppose it could be identifying incorrectly, but it would be the first time...

We are entering Pandora...

June 21, 2018 - 5:29pm
munpip214's picture
Beta Tester
Kudos: 90

This is my best guess. Apple Decodes the bitstream and separates the Dolby Atmos metadata from it to save for later. Then maybe it modifies the sound or injects new sound, or whatever. But after it’s done with that it has to re-encode to bitstream to send over hdmi. In the process it re-adds the Dolby Atmos metadata. My guess is that the re-encoded bitstream doesn’t have the correct tags for designating as Dolby or DTS anymore so the receiver just shows it as LPCM.

Apple TV 4, Apple TV 3, iPhone Xs, iMac 5k, iPad Pro, Airport Extreme, Airport Express, Synology DS916+

June 21, 2018 - 6:11pm
gbastug's picture
  munpip214 wrote:

This is my best guess. Apple Decodes the bitstream and separates the Dolby Atmos metadata from it to save for later. Then maybe it modifies the sound or injects new sound, or whatever. But after it’s done with that it has to re-encode to bitstream to send over hdmi. In the process it re-adds the Dolby Atmos metadata. My guess is that the re-encoded bitstream doesn’t have the correct tags for designating as Dolby or DTS anymore so the receiver just shows it as LPCM.

Yes but my processor correctly identified BR2049 as Bitstream and Dolby Atmos...

Attachments: 
  June 21, 2018 - 6:56pm

The Atmos material I have been getting says just “atmos” and there is a clear pause when switch out of the material suggesting it is changing signals.

June 21, 2018 - 7:31pm

Btw. I am also pretty sure any atmos we are getting likely unintentional. My guess is Companies like Vudu and certain studios are not providing Apple specific 4K encodes. Odds are most movies, they had atmos, probably already have the metadata in the encode.

Since the Apple TV defaults to selecting the best audio supported by local hardware, atmos is now activating in some cases. I would guess that an app like Vudu is just serving up data and the Apple TV takes of determining best picture / audio settings from what is offered. Since atmos is not an option, it is selectable. That said it is by no means optimized at this point.