977 posts / 0 new / Last post
  February 11, 2020 - 2:38pm
davidahn's picture
Beta Tester
Kudos: 1
  bPlaTyPuS wrote:

Exactly. Perhaps Apple even receives money from the studios to block the passthrough... Or maybe they block it just to attract customers to their own streaming service.

which for me is a nonsense because anyway 95% of the people are using exclusively streaming services... and don't care about this passthrough feature. And I'm pretty sure that for Apple it's only 1 line of code to change to allow it.... so why are they not doing it? Just to increase the 95% to 96%. That's it.

I don't think they get paid to block it, but I do think they get threatening letters from the MPAA of either legal action or pulling material from the iTunes Store.

I agree they should unblock it. But since passthrough used to work. It's not accidental that it no longer works, it's by design.

Infuse Pro 5.7 on 4K Apple TV 11.3 · iPhone X 11.3
Plex Media Server on 2017 iMac quad-core i7 · 12 TB RAID 5
Samsung UN82MU8000 4K TV · Vizio M65-C1 4K TV · Sony VPL-VW600ES 4K PJ

February 12, 2020 - 12:02pm
james's picture
Staff
Kudos: 1,265
  davidahn wrote:

I am totally up for upgrading for this feature, in fact I’m waiting to buy more until the new ATV is released. But I fear you and I are much too tiny a niche for Apple to piss off the studios to benefit the few of us.

Personally, I don't think the studios have any impact here.

For Apple, their current setup using PCM works well since it allows then to inject UI and/or Siri audio, and this wouldn't be possible when using true passthrough. It would probably be possible to switch between PCM and passthrough depending on the content being played (not unlike frame rate switching). Or, a reasonable compromise would be to allow for more flexible integrations of Dolby MAT v2.0, as this would almost be the best of both worlds. Both would require a bit of work on their end.

Overall, when Apple was designing the Apple TV it's likely they were unaware of how popular this feature would be for those who use apps like Infuse. That's why we're trying to draw as much attention to this as possible by encouraging people to submit feedback as described in the first post.

Infuse 6 for iOS and Apple TV is now available!

February 12, 2020 - 2:11pm
davidahn's picture
Beta Tester
Kudos: 1
  james wrote:

For Apple, their current setup using PCM works well since it allows then to inject UI and/or Siri audio, and this wouldn't be possible when using true passthrough. It would probably be possible to switch between PCM and passthrough depending on the content being played (not unlike frame rate switching). Or, a reasonable compromise would be to allow for more flexible integrations of Dolby MAT v2.0, as this would almost be the best of both worlds. Both would require a bit of work on their end.

Overall, when Apple was designing the Apple TV it's likely they were unaware of how popular this feature would be for those who use apps like Infuse. That's why we're trying to draw as much attention to this as possible by encouraging people to submit feedback as described in the first post.

Thanks for the insight, James. I certainly hope Apple will allow passthrough soon!

While we wait for Apple to do something, is there any possibility of Infuse doing on-the-fly conversion of TrueHD Atmos tracks to E-AC3 Atmos? I'm much more concerned about getting Atmos working on ATV than I am about TrueHD.

Infuse Pro 5.7 on 4K Apple TV 11.3 · iPhone X 11.3
Plex Media Server on 2017 iMac quad-core i7 · 12 TB RAID 5
Samsung UN82MU8000 4K TV · Vizio M65-C1 4K TV · Sony VPL-VW600ES 4K PJ

February 12, 2020 - 2:34pm
JarvisMeier's picture
Beta Tester
Kudos: 62
  davidahn wrote:

Thanks for the insight, James. I certainly hope Apple will allow passthrough soon!

While we wait for Apple to do something, is there any possibility of Infuse doing on-the-fly conversion of TrueHD Atmos tracks to E-AC3 Atmos? I'm much more concerned about getting Atmos working on ATV than I am about TrueHD.

It can’t be done. Dolby does not make a converter to do this. There is also no open source codec that can do this either.

February 12, 2020 - 2:36pm
munpip214's picture
Beta Tester
Kudos: 128
  davidahn wrote:

I heard this is not possible because it requires the original Atmos master files that are used to generate TrueHD and E-AC3. There isn’t enough info to do a workable conversion.

Apple TV 4, Apple TV 3, iPhone Xs, iMac 5k, iPad Pro, Airport Extreme, Airport Express, Synology DS916+

February 12, 2020 - 3:46pm
blenky's picture
Kudos: 0
  james wrote:

I really wish there was Infuse on my Shield TV - no such restrictions there!

February 13, 2020 - 2:10am
liorreem's picture

You have Kodi on your Shield. What else do you need?

February 13, 2020 - 3:03am
blenky's picture
  liorreem wrote:

You have Kodi on your Shield. What else do you need?

Yes Kodi is excellent and is what I use but I love the simplicity and style of Infuse.

February 13, 2020 - 5:44am
archer75's picture
Kudos: 4
  blenky wrote:

I really wish there was Infuse on my Shield TV - no such restrictions there!

why not just use plex? Simple and it does it all.

February 13, 2020 - 5:49am
xinseo's picture
Beta Tester
Kudos: 5
  blenky wrote:

Yes Kodi is excellent and is what I use but I love the simplicity and style of Infuse.

Something dedicated like Infuse would definitely be smoother on the Shield but Kodi is usually great 99% of the times.

February 13, 2020 - 6:22am
nathank's picture

So e ac3 for which content local files of any Atmos source will do Eac3

February 13, 2020 - 6:23am
blenky's picture
  archer75 wrote:

why not just use plex? Simple and it does it all.

Used plex but not a fan. Kodi is great but would like option of Infuse. However don't want to derail this thread taking about android!

February 13, 2020 - 7:00am
archer75's picture
Kudos: 4
  blenky wrote:

Used plex but not a fan. Kodi is great but would like option of Infuse. However don't want to derail this thread taking about android!

really? Plex and infuse are soooo similar. Personally I can’t stand kodi.
But I also rarely use my shield as I prefer other devices.

February 15, 2020 - 7:44pm
nathank's picture

Can any one explain what e ac3 Atmos support in 6.3 is all about. Does it mean any local files with even truehd can be converted in the fly to e ac3 for Atmos play back one would get online streaming like Atmos out even with local files

February 15, 2020 - 7:57pm
NC Bullseye's picture
Kudos: 405
  nathank wrote:

Can any one explain what e ac3 Atmos support in 6.3 is all about. Does it mean any local files with even truehd can be converted in the fly to e ac3 for Atmos play back one would get online streaming like Atmos out even with local files

You may want to start a new thread about this since it's kind of off topic from the first post but if you read the last 5 or ten pages of this one you should get the rundown on what it is.

This thread is for getting people to put requests into Apple for better access to Dolby Atmos using apps like Infuse.

If you have questions on Atmos or other options and functions of Infuse a new thread would get you answers without alerting everyone who's posted in this thread that there's a new update when you post in this thread.

•Just Another Infuse User• •Not An Employee Of Firecore• •Certified Curmudgeon•

February 15, 2020 - 7:58pm
JarvisMeier's picture
Beta Tester
Kudos: 62
  nathank wrote:

If you read previous comments you’d see that it means if you have files that are eac3 with atmos they’ll play back as atmos. TrueHD will still be converted to PCM as it did in previous version.