824 posts / 0 new / Last post
  June 26, 2018 - 2:27am
KOKOtm's picture
Beta Tester
Kudos: 2

Tried out the public beta today. Sound output doesn't work quite well.

Infuse: I have to disable Atmos for sound, but still no bitstreaming, getting PCM. If i enable paththrough in Infuse, i just get static noise.
iTunes: Very weird here. Sometimes i just get stereo, or PCM, never Dolby Digital or Atmos. Have to play a little bit more with it.

June 26, 2018 - 6:56am
JarvisMeier's picture
Beta Tester
Kudos: 36
  Regan Erasmus wrote:

I watched the video and despite me having updated tot he TVos 12 i cannot see the same settings as in the video, i dont have the option to choose the atmos sound in "Surround Sound" tab. is there anything i am doing wrong? i have a ATV4 not the 4K

I believe Atmos is being limited to the Apple TV 4K.

June 26, 2018 - 7:00am
JarvisMeier's picture
Beta Tester
  KOKOtm wrote:

Tried out the public beta today. Sound output doesn't work quite well.

Infuse: I have to disable Atmos for sound, but still no bitstreaming, getting PCM. If i enable paththrough in Infuse, i just get static noise.
iTunes: Very weird here. Sometimes i just get stereo, or PCM, never Dolby Digital or Atmos. Have to play a little bit more with it.

Apple doesn’t do bitstreaming except for Atmos content which is ONLY working in iTunes and Vudu on the Apple TV 4K. If the sound track isn’t ATMOS then you will get PCM. Only a few movies on iTunes have an ATMOS track. Blade Runner 2049 is confirmed working. It may take a while for movies to get the soundtrack if you aren’t in Canada or the USA.

June 26, 2018 - 7:05am
mrrobotoplus's picture
Beta Tester
Kudos: 8

Anyone aside english people have Blade Runner in ATMOS?

June 26, 2018 - 7:13am
Sevenfeet's picture
Kudos: 0

Well the audio libraries for tvOS12 public beta 1 are still very rough. Atmos support is there, yes. But when I tried playing Blade Runner 2049 (which seems to be the test movie of choice at iTunes) it first began playing and then the screen froze during the Warner Bros. logo (while the audio continued to play). After some jockeying, I finally got the movie (audio and video) to play correctly. Volume for movies played this way (Atmos) are very soft.....probably 10 dbs too soft and certainly softer than the iTunes menu screen for the movie that plays clips of the soundtrack while it waits for a selection from the user.

My processor (Marantz 7703) is correctly seeing the stream as Atmos although there were occasions where switching over to Atmos was slow (a few seconds into the movie). And I can also confirm that it sending a multichannel PCM stream instead of a bit streamed Dolby Digital just like before if the movie does not have Atmos information.

June 26, 2018 - 7:29am
JarvisMeier's picture
Beta Tester
  mrrobotoplus wrote:

You’ll have to check to see if Atmos is provided in non English languages on the bluray. I’m going to guess that movies with English soundtracks are going to be priority number one for Apple. You probably won’t find Atmos I’m dubbed tracks.

June 26, 2018 - 7:34am
mrrobotoplus's picture
Beta Tester
  JarvisMeier wrote:

You’ll have to check to see if Atmos is provided in non English languages on the bluray. I’m going to guess that movies with English soundtracks are going to be priority number one for Apple. You probably won’t find Atmos I’m dubbed tracks.

yeah, that's make sense but what if I want to switch to English? I only get EN 5.1. In Netflix I get my own language but i can switch to english atmos anytime.

June 26, 2018 - 8:35am
munpip214's picture
Beta Tester
Kudos: 106

Anybody try the Dolby Atmos Experience demos on Vudu?
https://www.vudu.com/content/movies/details/Th... Experience%20(Bundle)/638505

Sorry, the link wasn’t working. Had to split up the line.

Apple TV 4, Apple TV 3, iPhone Xs, iMac 5k, iPad Pro, Airport Extreme, Airport Express, Synology DS916+

June 26, 2018 - 9:12am
Sevenfeet's picture
  munpip214 wrote:

Anybody try the Dolby Atmos Experience demos on Vudu?
https://www.vudu.com/content/movies/details/Th... Experience%20(Bundle)/638505

Sorry, the link wasn’t working. Had to split up the line.

The Atmos demos aren't working on Vudu. They play as multichannel PCM. There are a number of movies that do play on Vudu....more than iTunes. I've tried Coco, Blade Runner 2049, Black Panther, Star Wars: The Last Jedi, Justice League and I'm sure they are others. It seems to be more stable than trying Blade Runner 2049 on iTunes but the audio drivers still sometimes take several seconds to recognize and pass Atmos to the receiver/processor.

June 26, 2018 - 9:32am
astirling's picture
Beta Tester
Kudos: 37
  mrrobotoplus wrote:

I think it’s more limited than that. I’m in the UK and there is no atmos iTunes content at all. Blade Runner 2049 just plays in standard 5.1 PCM

June 26, 2018 - 10:13am
JarvisMeier's picture
Beta Tester
  mrrobotoplus wrote:

yeah, that's make sense but what if I want to switch to English? I only get EN 5.1. In Netflix I get my own language but i can switch to english atmos anytime.

I’m going to assume if you switch to English you’ll get ATMOS however you’re going to have to wait until your iTunes Store gets the soundtracks. Apple is probably targeting areas in North America first. It probably has something to do with licensing for the new soundtracks.

June 26, 2018 - 10:35am
IMWhizzle's picture
Beta Tester
Kudos: 30

@James,

Now that the public beta is out. Is there more information about lossless Atmos support for UHD ISO, BD ISO or MKV files?

June 26, 2018 - 10:36am
Nitrox's picture

Is anybody getting DA showing on their receivers when playing content from a local library through Infuse connected to a Plex library?

June 26, 2018 - 11:54am
sdjaime's picture
  Nitrox wrote:

Is anybody getting DA showing on their receivers when playing content from a local library through Infuse connected to a Plex library?

It shows Dolby Atmos on my Denon receiver, but I get no audio.

June 26, 2018 - 12:03pm
mrrobotoplus's picture
Beta Tester
  Nitrox wrote:

I do

June 26, 2018 - 12:23pm
patrick.corrado's picture
  sdjaime wrote:

It shows Dolby Atmos on my Denon receiver, but I get no audio.

Same for me. Denon X1300W

June 26, 2018 - 12:40pm
IMWhizzle's picture
Beta Tester
Kudos: 30
  mrrobotoplus wrote:

I do

How is your experience with local content?

June 26, 2018 - 3:32pm
Regan Erasmus's picture

https://youtu.be/xVpDcB7Hv0Q

Can anyone else replicate this??? This is my exact setup and I can’t get it right

June 26, 2018 - 4:12pm
Bjarne.aksdal's picture
Beta Tester
Kudos: 1

What should the audio setting on Apple TV itself be for atmos to work in theory? On, off, auto? Atmos on off cause Smile but the other setting?

June 26, 2018 - 4:58pm
Rick98761's picture
Beta Tester
  Bjarne.aksdal wrote:

What should the audio setting on Apple TV itself be for atmos to work in theory? On, off, auto? Atmos on off cause Smile but the other setting?

In theory I would assume Atmos on would be what we want. I’m just dying for confirmation that we will be able to bitstream TrueHD Atmos. I could dump my shieldtv then. The only thing I would loose is DTS:X, which hardly anything uses.

June 27, 2018 - 6:50am
claire78's picture
Kudos: 3
  June 27, 2018 - 7:17am
  claire78 wrote:

How? 🤔

Well infuse was updated for me yesterday but the notes just referenced 11.4 improvements. Perhaps those improvements allowed the pass through option to work again? I will try again tonight after work. I did test it after the update and there was nothing with audio set to “Auto”.

June 27, 2018 - 7:59am
claire78's picture
Kudos: 3
  patrick.corrado wrote:

Well infuse was updated for me yesterday but the notes just referenced 11.4 improvements. Perhaps those improvements allowed the pass through option to work again? I will try again tonight after work. I did test it after the update and there was nothing with audio set to “Auto”.

I have already tested and same as before, movies don’t start. “An error occurred...”

June 27, 2018 - 8:02am
  claire78 wrote:

I have already tested and same as before, movies don’t start. “An error occurred...”

Well this is the same guy that showed off the DA logo on iTunes that I have never seen. So I think this confirms he is either using a time machine or has some mutant tech abilities.

June 27, 2018 - 8:19am
NC Bullseye's picture
Kudos: 356
  claire78 wrote:

How? 🤔

Did anyone who watched this actually HEAR any audio when he played the movie with Atmos? All I could hear was him talking. There have been other reports from different boards where their receiver always displayed "Atmos" but passed no actual audio or only passed static with tvOS 12 beta.

•Just Another Infuse User• •Not An Employee Of Firecore• •Certified Curmudgeon•

June 27, 2018 - 8:22am
  NC Bullseye wrote:

Did anyone who watched this actually HEAR any audio when he played the movie with Atmos? All I could hear was him talking. There have been other reports from different boards where their receiver always displayed "Atmos" but passed no actual audio or only passed static with tvOS 12 beta.

Good point, I watched with captions.

June 27, 2018 - 8:41am
Rick98761's picture
Beta Tester
  NC Bullseye wrote:

Ive gotten it to light up Atmos several times, but just hear minimal bass.

June 27, 2018 - 9:15am
  Rick98761 wrote:

Ive gotten it to light up Atmos several times, but just hear minimal bass.

I’ve had that happen. Also have had just stereo displayed with no sound. I have never gotten the error people see displayed.

June 27, 2018 - 10:59am
steelkeys's picture
Kudos: 6

I just installed iOS 12 beta on my Apple TV 4.. now passthrough is even more destroyed.. even Dolby digital sound makes the static noises when turned on..

June 27, 2018 - 4:25pm
redbaronf2001's picture

TVOS 12 Public Beta here - with Atmos enabled, I cannot play any files with Infuse. If I turn Atmos off, it works.