871 posts / 0 new / Last post
  July 12, 2018 - 11:34am
NC Bullseye's picture
Kudos: 371
  riddle wrote:

I am not sure but for me Dolby Atmos on Infuse PRO still dont works, i try it with PLEX but still nothink, my AVR is Marantz SR5012. I cant check Atmos on itunes becaouse in my country we dont have no Atmos track on Apple TV.

So far Atmos is not working for any third party app correctly. Most likely Infuse won't officially support it until The iOS is no longer beta and released with Atmos support available to third party apps.

•Just Another Infuse User• •Not An Employee Of Firecore• •Certified Curmudgeon•

July 13, 2018 - 7:46am
JarvisMeier's picture
Beta Tester
Kudos: 48
  riddle wrote:

I am not sure but for me Dolby Atmos on Infuse PRO still dont works, i try it with PLEX but still nothink, my AVR is Marantz SR5012. I cant check Atmos on itunes becaouse in my country we dont have no Atmos track on Apple TV.

It won’t work until the infuse team says otherwise.. some people have reported luck with Plex using Dolby plus Atmos tracks but as it is Dolby TrueHD with ATMOS are not supported by any player.

July 13, 2018 - 9:03am
steve.waite's picture
Beta Tester
Kudos: 17
  JarvisMeier wrote:

It won’t work until the infuse team says otherwise.. some people have reported luck with Plex using Dolby plus Atmos tracks but as it is Dolby TrueHD with ATMOS are not supported by any player.

And probably won't for many years, if at all, for example it took 10+ years to get frame rate switching, it's Apple after all....only my opinion.

July 13, 2018 - 10:11am
lazer's picture
Kudos: 0

Hi,

How many of you think you can realistically discern the difference between DD+ Atmos vs TrueHD Atmos (aka lossy vs lossless)?

I mean, do you think in a blind ear test, you would actually notice a difference?

This brings me back to the whole CD vs mp3 debate back in the day, and now, mp3s/streaming is the norm and nobody seems to really complain or care.

So I pose this question to the group.

Mind you, I'm a quality nut with an OLED LG and a full 5.1.2 atmos home theater setup

July 13, 2018 - 10:24am
redbaronf2001's picture
  lazer wrote:

Hi,

How many of you think you can realistically discern the difference between DD+ Atmos vs TrueHD Atmos (aka lossy vs lossless)?

I mean, do you think in a blind ear test, you would actually notice a difference?

This brings me back to the whole CD vs mp3 debate back in the day, and now, mp3s/streaming is the norm and nobody seems to really complain or care.

Mind you, I'm a quality nut with an OLED LG and a full 5.1.2 atmos home theater setup

I don't know that I could reliably discern which track is which in a truly blind test (all else being equal). But, it would be nice to have lossless since that is what we pay for on a disc. I, too, care about quality and compression algorythms have caught up with the times. Call it preference?

July 13, 2018 - 10:34am
archer75's picture
Kudos: 4
  lazer wrote:

Hi,

I can absolutely hear a difference. It's very noticeable in A/B testing. And of course it also depends on your speakers. I have large speakers all around on one tv and the other has small speakers. The difference is noticeable on both but less so on the smaller speaker system.

I also came across a test recently where they had various audio samples encoded in different bitrates and one was lossless. I can hear a difference on that too. But the difference in music is no where near as pronounced as it is with home theater.

July 13, 2018 - 10:39am
xinseo's picture
Beta Tester
Kudos: 5

On a side note, can True HD Atmos be converted to DD+ Atmos in case that is all that is supported by Apple TV for now?

July 13, 2018 - 10:44am
munpip214's picture
Beta Tester
Kudos: 113

I guess another question to ask is if the only way to get atmos was DD+, would you use it or would you still use lossless w/o Atmos?

Apple TV 4, Apple TV 3, iPhone Xs, iMac 5k, iPad Pro, Airport Extreme, Airport Express, Synology DS916+

July 13, 2018 - 10:52am
archer75's picture
  munpip214 wrote:

I guess another question to ask is if the only way to get atmos was DD+, would you use it or would you still use lossless w/o Atmos?

Good question. I sometimes use infuse for my TrueHD track and let the receiver do it's processing for fake atmos rather than switch to another device for real atmos. Sometimes one sounds as good as the other. It all depends.

But to answer your question I would stick the lossless without atmos. Not a lot of movies seem to be mixed well to really take advantage of what atmos offers. Some movies are. But most just seem like lazy sound editing imo.

July 13, 2018 - 11:36am
JS.9125's picture
Kudos: 10
  xinseo wrote:

On a side note, can True HD Atmos be converted to DD+ Atmos in case that is all that is supported by Apple TV for now?

Yes it can. But you need Dolby Media Producer Suite and a Mac and 1300$ for a license. Not really an option for me.
https://www.dolby.com/us/en/professional/conte...

July 13, 2018 - 11:52am
xinseo's picture
Beta Tester
Kudos: 5
  JS.9125 wrote:

Yes it can. But you need Dolby Media Producer Suite and a Mac and 1300$ for a license. Not really an option for me.
https://www.dolby.com/us/en/professional/conte...

Well, not for individuals but i was thinking maybe Infuse could implement something like that.

July 13, 2018 - 11:56am
JS.9125's picture

If the Apple TV 4K is powerfull enough to trancode, it could be an option.

July 13, 2018 - 1:23pm
JS.9125's picture

Have just bought an Nvidia Shield for testing. It can play TrueHD Atmos via Plex as passthrough.
I'm not a big fan of Android, but for now it will do the trick. Really hope for an Infuse solution in the future Smile

July 13, 2018 - 3:11pm
CucNZ's picture

just as a side bar on the whole what will be and WHAT should be supported ,dilema

X box one s/x just got an Alpha update to test added Dolby Vision Support
atm it will be just for online streaming like netflix

but if they did the right thing and opened it to local content/gaming/and online streaming, then it would be a good push for Apple etc to do likewise

July 13, 2018 - 3:21pm
JS.9125's picture
  CucNZ wrote:

just as a side bar on the whole what will be and WHAT should be supported ,dilema

X box one s/x just got an Alpha update to test added Dolby Vision Support
atm it will be just for online streaming like netflix

but if they did the right thing and opened it to local content/gaming/and online streaming, then it would be a good push for Apple etc to do likewise

I agree. If Apple are going to allow TrueHD Atmos passthroug. They would have the best media player on the marked.
Dolby Vision requiere a license. LG TV has is, ass well as the ATV. It is better than HDR10

July 13, 2018 - 11:52pm
astirling's picture
Beta Tester
Kudos: 37
  JS.9125 wrote:

I agree. If Apple are going to allow TrueHD Atmos passthroug. They would have the best media player on the marked.
Dolby Vision requiere a license. LG TV has is, ass well as the ATV. It is better than HDR10

I would agree although I’m not too sure that Apple are all that fussed in ensuring that the Apple TV can be the best streamer of local content as there isn’t really any money there for them. Their primary focus will be on making the best streamer for iTunes content. And they’ll be quite happy for Netflix and vudu to be great on their device as well as they’ll get a cut of any sales. Currently there is no service streaming lossless atmos content so Apple are unlikely to be too fussed if their box doesn’t support it.

July 15, 2018 - 4:25pm
JarvisMeier's picture
Beta Tester
Kudos: 48
  astirling wrote:

I would agree although I’m not too sure that Apple are all that fussed in ensuring that the Apple TV can be the best streamer of local content as there isn’t really any money there for them. Their primary focus will be on making the best streamer for iTunes content. And they’ll be quite happy for Netflix and vudu to be great on their device as well as they’ll get a cut of any sales. Currently there is no service streaming lossless atmos content so Apple are unlikely to be too fussed if their box doesn’t support it.

You nailed it 110%. Apple has never marketed the Apple TV as a media box for playing your legally or gray market obtained movies. Any Atmos will be hacked by third parties (or maybe converted to DD+ through Plex?).

It’s a little unfortunate if this is the case because the ATV plays back video content buttery smooth.

July 17, 2018 - 11:09am
DpadHero's picture

4th beta for developers out now:

https://www.macrumors.com/2018/07/17/apple-see...

July 17, 2018 - 11:15am
JS.9125's picture
  DpadHero wrote:

4th beta for developers out now:

https://www.macrumors.com/2018/07/17/apple-see...

Nice. Not in Denmark yet, through 😊

July 17, 2018 - 11:16am
JS.9125's picture

LOL. Now it is 😊

July 18, 2018 - 12:03pm
matseprak's picture
Kudos: 2

New public beta available. Can’t play HD sound through infuse anymore. Everything is played as Dolby Digital 😢

July 18, 2018 - 12:33pm
munpip214's picture
Beta Tester
Kudos: 113
  matseprak wrote:

New public beta available. Can’t play HD sound through infuse anymore. Everything is played as Dolby Digital 😢

What settings do you have? Atmos and surround

Apple TV 4, Apple TV 3, iPhone Xs, iMac 5k, iPad Pro, Airport Extreme, Airport Express, Synology DS916+

July 18, 2018 - 12:35pm
matseprak's picture
  munpip214 wrote:

What settings do you have? Atmos and surround

No such options available in this beta. Turned off convert audio. Should be sent as LPCM but it isn’t.

July 18, 2018 - 12:41pm
Bjarne.aksdal's picture
Beta Tester
Kudos: 1

What about your audio settings in Infuse? What do you have them on?

July 18, 2018 - 12:44pm
matseprak's picture
  Bjarne.aksdal wrote:

What about your audio settings in Infuse? What do you have them on?

Auto as always. Tried pass through but no difference.

July 18, 2018 - 12:48pm
Sevenfeet's picture
Kudos: 1
  matseprak wrote:

No such options available in this beta. Turned off convert audio. Should be sent as LPCM but it isn’t.

Most likely it’s still not working properly and Apple knows it’s not working. Rather than face a new avalanche of bug reports that what they know isn’t working, they are just turning off the feature from the UI pending a future date where it will be more ready for prime time.

July 18, 2018 - 12:51pm
patrick.corrado's picture

Check your set-up again or restart your apple TV and receiver, I am on the developer version of that beta and have the Atmos option still. Of course, I have also never gotten Atmos audio through Infuse (only Vudu). In fact, like many in this thread, all my audio played in Infuse registers as Atmos on my Denon, but no sound is heard. I have to set the AppleTV to downmix to DD to get any sound in Infuse. BTW - Infuse folk - I would really like an update to at least address that issue!

July 18, 2018 - 12:54pm
matseprak's picture

Restarted the receiver and option was there 😀
Strange. I rebooted Apple TV but wasn’t enough.

July 18, 2018 - 12:56pm
VelimirSaban's picture

So, with new beta no uncompressed, multi-channel LPCM sound from Infuse, right? OK, I will not update then.

July 18, 2018 - 1:17pm
astirling's picture
Beta Tester
Kudos: 37
  Sevenfeet wrote:

Most likely it’s still not working properly and Apple knows it’s not working. Rather than face a new avalanche of bug reports that what they know isn’t working, they are just turning off the feature from the UI pending a future date where it will be more ready for prime time.

I kind of agree apart from the fact that there’s nothing really to suggest it isn’t working properly. In fact reports from people with acess to the early developer betas gave positive feedback on the range of atmos content available on iTunes at that time.

Apple pulled the content prior to the public beta which led people to believe it wasn’t working. Apps such as infuse require an update to support atmos and this has been recognised by the developers on here yet people still fire up the latest Apple beta and claim it’s not working.

My guess is that it is working fine but Apple have been getting inundated with bug reports because people have expectations that apps such as infuse will support it. In these circumstances I could understand them turning it off until launch when they will redeliver content via iTunes.