82 posts / 0 new / Last post
#1  January 9, 2010 - 4:42pm
james's picture
Staff
Kudos: 1,184

There's no official support for this card on the AppleTV yet, but we've made the latest SVN build of XBMC and required CrystalHD support files available for those who are too curious to wait.

[b]Installation/Setup Guide:[/b] http://support.firecore.com/entries/259315

January 10, 2010 - 3:30am
illiac4's picture
Kudos: 0

It is not working. Tried with two Crystal HD cards and it is no option under render to select Crystal HD.

January 10, 2010 - 7:21am
max's picture
max
Kudos: 1

You'll also want to run the Smart Installer if you haven't yet.
http://wiki.atvflash.com/index.php?title=Smart...

January 10, 2010 - 7:43am
dgilbert22's picture
  "guardianmax" wrote:

You'll also want to run the Smart Installer if you haven't yet.
http://wiki.atvflash.com/index.php?title=Smart...

If you have already run "Smart Installer" how can you tell if it has been updated and needs to be run again?

January 10, 2010 - 7:49am
max's picture
max
  "dgilbert22" wrote:

If you have already run "Smart Installer" how can you tell if it has been updated and needs to be run again?

If it's been ran once, it won't need to be ran again for CrystalHD to work. If you navigate to the Maintenance > Settings menu, it will give you a status when it was last ran (E.G. Last Ran: 1/8). If will also show if it's never been ran. (E.G. Last Ran: Never).

January 10, 2010 - 10:09am
illiac4's picture

Ok it is working now. After second reboot it has gave an option for Crystal HD.
Will you in the future offer the updates for CrystalHD driver, because Davilla will release a lot of bugfixies in the near future?

January 10, 2010 - 12:12pm
eliyoussefi's picture

Ok i did everything and I get these errors associated with it from xbmc log

12:04:35 T:2684407808 M: 20537344 DEBUG: SECTION:LoadDLL(libcrystalhd.dylib)
12:04:35 T:2684407808 M: 20504576 DEBUG: Loading: libcrystalhd.dylib
12:04:35 T:2684407808 M: 20381696 ERROR: CrystalHD: device open failed
12:04:35 T:2684407808 M: 20381696 INFO: CrystalHD: broadcom crystal hd not found
12:05:05 T:2684407808 M: 16576512 DEBUG: SECTION:UnloadDelayed(DLL: libcrystalhd.dylib)
12:05:05 T:2684407808 M: 16584704 DEBUG: Unloading: libcrystalhd.dylib
12:05:07 T:2684407808 M: 26599424 INFO: CrystalHD: device closed

January 11, 2010 - 6:42am
shirley's picture

I honestly believe for this to really hit the mainstream, support needs to be added for Perian. Allowing 1080p to be played through the Native ATV interface.

Lets keep fingers crossed for support of the card to make it into FFmpeg. I've just purchased an old ATV off ebay for testing Smile

January 11, 2010 - 7:38am
max's picture
max
  "shirley" wrote:

I honestly believe for this to really hit the mainstream, support needs to be added for Perian. Allowing 1080p to be played through the Native ATV interface.

Lets keep fingers crossed for support of the card to make it into FFmpeg. I've just purchased an old ATV off ebay for testing Smile

Things are definitely headed that way. Smile

January 11, 2010 - 7:44am
max's picture
max
  "illiac4" wrote:

Ok it is working now. After second reboot it has gave an option for Crystal HD.
Will you in the future offer the updates for CrystalHD driver, because Davilla will release a lot of bugfixies in the near future?

Yes, updates can be installed just as easily. Navigate back to the Install Extras menu. If the word 'Update' appears next to Crystal HD, simply click to install the update.

January 12, 2010 - 1:07pm
YinZhe's picture

Hi all,

I struggle with the CrystalHD installation... I have understood that under XBMC we must change the rendering video mode from "Auto" to "Crystal HD" under System -> Parameters.
I followed ATV procedure to install CrystalHd drivers and unfortunately I cannot select the "Crystal HD" rendering...

My question is "How can I ensure that the CrystalHD drivers are installed and well configured ?

Thanks for your help.

Source for the video rendering configuration information : "http://www.blogythefox.co.uk/2010/01/09/apple-..." Step 9.

January 12, 2010 - 5:14pm
freechina's picture
  "YinZhe" wrote:

Hi all,

I struggle with the CrystalHD installation... I have understood that under XBMC we must change the rendering video mode from "Auto" to "Crystal HD" under System -> Parameters.
I followed ATV procedure to install CrystalHd drivers and unfortunately I cannot select the "Crystal HD" rendering...

My question is "How can I ensure that the CrystalHD drivers are installed and well configured ?

Thanks for your help.

Source for the video rendering configuration information : "http://www.blogythefox.co.uk/2010/01/09/apple-..." Step 9.

I followed instructions in OP and installed w/o a problem. Tested w/ phat mkv that stuttered before, not anymore! Grin
[url]http://www.blogythefox.co.uk/2010/01/09/apple-... link has good screen shots for H/W upgrade, but ATVflash users just need OP steps to get up and running.

Kudos to atvFlash team for making this a painless process! Where do I renew for another year?

January 14, 2010 - 10:36am
Xpo's picture
Xpo
  "YinZhe" wrote:

Hi all,

Thanks for your help.

I have the same problem - I followed the steds mentioned on the first page but I don't get the crystal setting i XBMC.

Any hints?

January 16, 2010 - 9:58am
zesty's picture

I have followed the instruction to a Tee , however my 1080p .ts and .mkv files are playing but very choppy. When I go to XBMC downloads all I can see is the xbmc 9.1.1 file to download , is this the latest build ? I keep reading about nightly builds but not sure where and how to download these . Any thoughts or suggestions .

January 16, 2010 - 10:57am
james's picture
Staff
Kudos: 1,184
  "zesty" wrote:

I have followed the instruction to a Tee , however my 1080p .ts and .mkv files are playing but very choppy. When I go to XBMC downloads all I can see is the xbmc 9.1.1 file to download , is this the latest build ? I keep reading about nightly builds but not sure where and how to download these . Any thoughts or suggestions .

You may need to update the xbmc/boxee itrem through the Maintenance > Manage Plugins menu.

Once updated the svn build will appear under the downloads menu.

Infuse 6 for iOS and Apple TV is now available!

January 17, 2010 - 10:52am
zesty's picture

You may need to update the xbmc/boxee itrem through the Maintenance > Manage Plugins menu.

Once updated the svn build will appear under the downloads menu.

Just says Xbmc installed. Do I need to enter some remote key combination to get the svn build.

January 18, 2010 - 7:05am
YinZhe's picture
  "YinZhe" wrote:

Hi all,

Thanks for your help.

Ok after some update/upgrade the cristalHD card stil doesn't work Frown and I haven't got any error messages.
My system is in french, I will try to change the different settings to english.. But I am not convinced...

But is there a way to test the card thru ATVflash ? I start to think that the card could be arrived broken...

Thanks for any help or idea...

January 19, 2010 - 1:15pm
grey's picture

[b]YinZhe[/b], are you 100% positive you're running latest svn build?

not 9.11 but one of the nightly builds?

January 19, 2010 - 7:52pm
max's picture
max

To have access to the SVN builds you must be running the latest version of XBMC/Boxee. You can update this item through the Maintenance > Manage Plugins menu.

Once updated, the XBMC SVN builds can be downloaded through the XBMC/Boxee > Downloads menu.

January 20, 2010 - 1:39am
YinZhe's picture
  "grey" wrote:

[b]YinZhe[/b], are you 100% positive you're running latest svn build?

not 9.11 but one of the nightly builds?

Thanks for your answer : Yes 100% sure I use the last nightly builds. I did a new update yesterday, with no error. XBMC works perfectly except for CrystalHD... The 720p/i or 1080p/i are still very sluggish, impossible to watch a movie... Neither in streaming nor copied locally on the ATV.

I have to underline that the ATVFlash product is very impressive, I can very easely update XBMC, and other software.

January 20, 2010 - 11:49am
jeaz's picture

I have the same problem, option doesn't appear in XMBC.

I've done a 100% fresh installation.

• I did a factory reset and updated to 3.0.1
  • atvflashed it
  • Followed the steps as described by OP (without any errors or problems)
  • Start XMBC, but the option isn't available under rendering.

Additional question - Does the Install Crystal HD option appear if the card isn't inserted?

January 20, 2010 - 12:29pm
grey's picture

no, the option should be there ONLY if card is installed in your aTV instead of WiFi card.

YinZhe, have you changed the render method to CrystalHD in XBMC options ?

January 20, 2010 - 12:51pm
jeaz's picture

Well, that's a relief at least, since then I know my card is working. Now I just need to work this out.

Could it be that there's some issue with the latest XBMC svn?

January 20, 2010 - 11:40pm
YinZhe's picture
  "grey" wrote:

YinZhe, have you changed the render method to CrystalHD in XBMC options ?

Hi,

This is my issue, the option does not appeared in XBMC :?
I have to admit that I haven't any more ideas to solve this now... In my eye there is now 2 solutions :
1 - The CrystalHD card is arrived broken, but I do not think so because I have no error messages, and the drivers are installed.
2 - My ATV is different in term of hardware (Motherboard ?) regard some other. I bought it less than 6 months ago... And the development and testing are done on another hardware model...

Any hints to help ?

Thanks.

January 21, 2010 - 4:10am
Jannik's picture

I have exactly the same problem. Cannot choose CrystalHD in the render menu, and there are no errors in the log.

I have followed the procedure from the OP.

Eagerly awaiting your replies! :geek:

January 21, 2010 - 7:29am
jeaz's picture

Ok, an update here.

I reinstalled XBMC (just redownloaded it from Downloads) - no change.
Then went back to NitoTVs kext settings and redid the add kext. This time I did a software reboot (from NitoTVs menu) instead of hardware, and voila - it suddenly appeared under XBMC.

Sure, the performance isn't perfect, but it at least works now.

A follow up question to others who get it to work?

Do you experience any occasional lag or "choppyness" and do you play it from a USB drive hooked to the aTV or over the network (lan/wlan)

January 22, 2010 - 12:04am
disco_biscuit's picture

I've got mine streaming over lan, it plays 720p rips fine but is very choppy with anything 1080p especially mkV files i find.

Hopefully the next update will sort this out :mrgreen:

January 22, 2010 - 7:20am
YinZhe's picture
  "jeaz" wrote:

Ok, an update here.

I reinstalled XBMC (just redownloaded it from Downloads) - no change.
Then went back to NitoTVs kext settings and redid the add kext. This time I did a software reboot (from NitoTVs menu) instead of hardware, and voila - it suddenly appeared under XBMC.

Sure, the performance isn't perfect, but it at least works now.

A follow up question to others who get it to work?

Do you experience any occasional lag or "choppyness" and do you play it from a USB drive hooked to the aTV or over the network (lan/wlan)

I followed your update... And still the same... No "CrystalHD" option under "video rendering" in XBMC... Frown

January 23, 2010 - 5:12am
inhocsigno's picture
  "YinZhe" wrote:
  "jeaz" wrote:

Ok, an update here.
I followed your update... And still the same... No "CrystalHD" option under "video rendering" in XBMC... Frown

I can get this rendering option as long as I launch XBMC immediately after adding "BroadcomCrystalHD.kext"
to rc.local in Kernel Extension Manager [b]without restarting[/b] the AppleTV.

I'm not sure this can be a right way to get the card work but you might want to try it.

January 24, 2010 - 3:13am
YinZhe's picture
  "inhocsigno" wrote:
  "YinZhe" wrote:
  "jeaz" wrote:

Ok, an update here.

I can get this rendering option as long as I launch XBMC immediately after adding "BroadcomCrystalHD.kext"

I'm not sure this can be a right way to get the card work but you might want to try it.

Tried with non success... Frown

January 24, 2010 - 3:30am
inhocsigno's picture
  "inhocsigno" wrote:

Well, this is a follow-up to my own comment above.

I get the message shown below on the Apple Tv shell when the rendering option of crystal HD does not
show up:

bash-2.05b# dmesg | grep -i crystal
BroadcomCrystalHD::startBroadcomCrystalHD: Found HW and started driver SW.
ERR:/Users/davilla/Documents/crystalhd-for-osx/trunk/crystalhd/driver/darwin/crystalhd_hw.c:2061:
Insufficient Memory For RX

It appears the lack of sufficient memory on Apple Tv may be the culprit of this rendering option problem.
Restarting Apple Tv after limiting the number of running applications solved it.