82 posts / 0 new / Last post
  August 12, 2010 - 6:29am
xmiinc's picture
Kudos: 0

Thanks for this odinb! Just to be clear on one point: the card replaces the atv wireless card? One gives up wifi streaming for lower-res video in exchange for wired streaming of higher-res video, do I have that right? Also, is there info anywhere on how to install the CrystalHD card itself? Thanks...

"odinb" wrote:

As said above, AppleTV applications run in 720p max at this point, but you can still output 1080p from AppleTV.

There are differences in:

1 Source resolution.
This will be whatever your source is, DVDs are below 480p in resolution.

2 Application resolution.
There is currently a bug in AppleTV that stops application from running in resolutions higher than 720p.

3 Resolution output.
The AppleTV can still output 1080p to your TV, even if the application is limited to 720p.

AppleTV will decode everything up to 720p low bitrate material without the Crystal HD card. For high bitrate 720p and 1080p material, you will need the crystal HD card to decode.

Crystal'd ATV 4.1.3.2, 2009 Mac mini Intel Core Duo 2.26Ghz, 8Gig RAM, 500Gb 7200rpm Seagate, 6.4Tb LG-N4B1 NAS, D-Link DIR-655 Gaming router

August 25, 2010 - 12:28pm
iYaniv's picture

Please help me

should I buy the BCM970015 crystal HD card ?
the new has support?
or should I buy the old BCM970012?

August 25, 2010 - 1:30pm
max's picture
max
Kudos: 1
  "iYaniv" wrote:

Please help me

should I buy the BCM970015 crystal HD card ?
the new has support?
or should I buy the old BCM970012?

Both cards are supported, but the BCM970015 is the newer version.

August 26, 2010 - 6:08am
gsi095's picture

Hi,

I installed the Broadcom chip, have the latest XBMC 33XXX version and it has a radio button "allow Crystal HD....." but when I go through the Render options e.g. Auto, Software etc Crystal HD doesnt show up.

will auto use the CrystalHD or is there a problem

Dave

September 10, 2010 - 10:37pm
buzzworm's picture

Just installed the Broadcom Crystal HD card (bmc70015)
Am running Aug 29, 2010 build of XBMC svn.

It sees the card and plays 720p mp4 files beautifully.

But it completely chokes on 1080p files.

I have the settings set to the following:

a) --> Render Method. Change "Auto"
b) --> Allow hardware acceleration /CristalHD). Turn "on"
c) --> Adjust Display Refresh Rate to match Video. Turn "on".
d) --> SyncPlayback to Display. Turn "on".
e) --> A/V Sync Method. Turn "Audio Clock"
f) --> Allowed error in …… Turn "None"
g) --> Display 4:3 videos as. Turn Normal"
h) --> Video post-processing. Turn "Disabled"
i) --> Activate Teletext. Turn "what you want"

I'm wondering if I need to update the Cyrstal HD driver?

Some have mentioned reverting to 1.03. How would one do this and is this necessary?
The one I installed was from the ATV Flash 4.15 installer and is labeled 3.6.

soooo close to getting this to work!

thanks

September 27, 2010 - 9:03am (Reply to #66)
Anon's picture

who can answer buzzzworm?

PB

September 30, 2010 - 5:57am
jaidev's picture

Is the Crystal HD decoder card only used when streaming?  What about local 1080P video files stored on the ATV disk?

I have everything setup correctly and the Crystal HD enabled.  

When I play a locally stored a 1080P MOV file ( BBC Motion Gallery) via XMBC SVN it stutters and skips like crazy and hangs playback like it's not using the Crystal decoder at all.

When I stream the 1080P MOV video file from my NAS with XMBC it plays fine with no skipping/stuttering however every 15 secs the video pauses to Buffer more.. it will buffer to 100% and start playing again the playback is smooth, but then wil pause again after another 10-15secs to Buffer.

This is getting annoying, how come the locally stored 1080P file stutters and the same streamed one doesn't?  How can I get the locally stored file to use the Crystal decoder?

thanks

Jai

September 30, 2010 - 6:48am (Reply to #68)
jaidev's picture

Here's the real weird thing, If I  stream play the 1080P file which buffers every 15secs.  I then stop it and play the locally stored one, the locally stored one plays perfectly with no stutters and is smooth.

To test this I rebooted the ATV, started up XBMC and made sure the Crystal HD is selected in settings,video,playback.

I then tried playing the locally stored 1080P MOV and it skipped stuttered and stalled.  I stopped it.  I then played the streaming 1080P mov same file from my network drive this played fine except the pause and then buffering every 15secs.  I stopped the file.

I then went back to play the locally stored 1080P mov file on the ATV and this time it played perfectly no skipping no stuttering!!

WTF is going on here?  Do I need to kick start the Crystal HD with a streamed file before playing a local stored 1080P file?  This is insane!!!

October 2, 2010 - 10:58am
johnt.4760's picture

I just solved my mystery of why the Crystal HD wasn't getting loaded on my aTV.   Looking at the rc.local that was created by the installer, it became obvious that it  wasn't getting created correctly.   Here's what it looked like before I fixed it (notice the first line has /sbin/turbo_kext_enabler.bin appended to the end - this can't work; the enabler needs to be on its own line before anything else).

# Broken rc.local

/sbin/kextload -v /System/Library/Extensions/BroadcomCrystalHD.kext/sbin/turbo_kext_enabler.bin

/sbin/kextload -v /System/Library/Extensions/IOCDStorageFamily.kext

/sbin/kextload -v /System/Library/Extensions/IODVDStorageFamily.kext

/sbin/kextload -v /System/Library/Extensions/msdosfs.kext

/sbin/kextload -v /System/Library/Extensions/IOUSBMassStorageClass.kext

/sbin/kextload -v /System/Library/Extensions/AppleSMBIOS.kext

/sbin/kextload -v /System/Library/Extensions/IOSCSIArchitectureModelFamily.kext

/sbin/kextload -v /System/Library/Extensions/IOStorageFamily.kext

/sbin/kextload -v /System/Library/Extensions/cddafs.kext

/sbin/kextload -v /System/Library/Extensions/udf.kext

/sbin/kextload -v /System/Library/Extensions/IOBluetoothFamily.kext

/sbin/kextload -v /System/Library/Extensions/IOBluetoothHIDDriver.kext

/sbin/kextload -v /System/Library/Extensions/IOHDIXController.kext

/sbin/kextload -v /System/Library/Extensions/ntfs.kext

/sbin/kextload -v /System/Library/Extensions/smbfs.kext

So, to fix it, change that first line and break out the enabler portion into the new first line like so:

# Fixed rc.local

/sbin/turbo_kext_enabler.bin

/sbin/kextload -v /System/Library/Extensions/BroadcomCrystalHD.kext

/sbin/kextload -v /System/Library/Extensions/IOCDStorageFamily.kext

/sbin/kextload -v /System/Library/Extensions/IODVDStorageFamily.kext

/sbin/kextload -v /System/Library/Extensions/msdosfs.kext

/sbin/kextload -v /System/Library/Extensions/IOUSBMassStorageClass.kext

/sbin/kextload -v /System/Library/Extensions/AppleSMBIOS.kext

/sbin/kextload -v /System/Library/Extensions/IOSCSIArchitectureModelFamily.kext

/sbin/kextload -v /System/Library/Extensions/IOStorageFamily.kext

/sbin/kextload -v /System/Library/Extensions/cddafs.kext

/sbin/kextload -v /System/Library/Extensions/udf.kext

/sbin/kextload -v /System/Library/Extensions/IOBluetoothFamily.kext

/sbin/kextload -v /System/Library/Extensions/IOBluetoothHIDDriver.kext

/sbin/kextload -v /System/Library/Extensions/IOHDIXController.kext

/sbin/kextload -v /System/Library/Extensions/ntfs.kext

/sbin/kextload -v /System/Library/Extensions/smbfs.kext

After this, everything works fine for me.

-John

October 5, 2010 - 12:52am
budha's picture

New upstream version 3.8.0 was released a few hours ago; anyone got a chance to test it out and can share some impressions?

code.google.com/p/crystalhd-for-osx/downloads/list

Edit: version 3.8 was removed from the site for the moment; I have tried it out before that unsuccessfully (i've got firmware checksum errors when driver tried to initialize my 70015 board). PS: would be nice to be able to re-install a package by the way from the Maintenance application.

October 10, 2010 - 11:09am (Reply to #71)
Anon's picture

Hi, where did you locate the rc.local? And did you do the modifications through terminal? Hope you can answers this one for me. Cheers!

October 12, 2010 - 11:54am (Reply to #72)
Anon's picture

Found rc.local and checked it, but no problems there... Still haven't figured out how to get this working. 1080p doesn't work at all and the complete ATV is more buggy than ever. It crashes all the time; NitoTV and Boxee or XBMC....

October 17, 2010 - 7:17am
fivehimself's picture

I've got it up and running, but if I check the info on my TV it shows "1280x720 @60Hz"... When I switch to my bluray player the info shows "1920x1080 @60Hz". So although my ATV is now playing a 1080p .mkv, it looks like it's still downscaled to 720. Or is that not the case? Can't get this information out of the debug info from with XBMC.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

October 19, 2010 - 3:47am (Reply to #74)
Anon's picture

Hi all, I've been follwing this thread with interest as I have installed my crystal hd card and cannot enable it in xbmc, there is just no option. Judging by all the sucess others are having I'm wondering if I have a faulty card. I am 53 years old and definitely not tech savvy, can someone please help me with some info on identifying if my card is faulty please.

Cheers

Rob

October 19, 2010 - 3:51am (Reply to #75)
fivehimself's picture

Hi Rob,

I'm not that techy also, but got it (partially) to work.

Are you sure that you have the kernel extention running when starting XBMC? I noticed some times that the card is not visible from within XBMC. Adding the extention to rc.local (through NitoTV interface) and restarting finder did the trick.

Just follow the steps that are in the FAQ on this website, that did it for me.

October 21, 2010 - 6:44pm (Reply to #76)
buzzworm's picture

So after installing XBMC DHARMA BETA 3 all is well!

Plays 1080P beautifully :)

October 31, 2010 - 3:00am
Anon's picture

Hi all,

I cannot seem to find instructions on how to "install the CrystalHD" card in to the Apple TV.  Do they exist?  Can someone point me to a guide on the internet that shows this or is it that easy you don't need a how to guide?

November 2, 2010 - 2:28pm (Reply to #78)
budha's picture

check the instructions over here (worked fine for me): 

http://www.bluefish.net.nz/2010/02/apple-tv-an...

ps: remember to let it heat up before starting your little moding experience, so it will be easier to uncover the corner screws.

November 15, 2010 - 4:15am
Anon's picture

I bought and installed the bmc70015 to an older 40GB Apple TV that had a external 250GB USB hard drive hanging off it. Install of card, drivers and XBMC recognising it worked fine however streaming playback of 1080p stuttered, buffered etc and some 720p was also bad.
So I decided to test by installing another Crystal Card in a 160GB Apple TV I had with no external storage. All 1080p streamed perfectly.... Got me thinking, the hard drive is probable used during streaming as a temporary buffer for playback so could the issues on the 40GB model with external HDD be due to slow performance accessing the HDD via USB?
I removed the external HDD and reverted to using the internal storage on the 40GB ATV and sure enough 1080p and below worked perfectly!
So I'm now thinking of dumping the external storage via USB idea and upgrading the internal HDDs to larger capacity instead to ensure faster disk access via the PATA interface whle streaming HD movies. Hope this helps a few!

December 6, 2010 - 6:29am
tdansmith's picture

Is anyone else having difficulties playing 720p content on xbmc with the CrytsalHD card enabled? I've followed the installation guide to the letter, and it does appear to be an improvement but the playback is very variable. I was under the impression that the card would allow (almost) flawless 720p playback while offering limited support for 1080p, but about 50% of my 720p content is barely watchable. After rebooting yesterday ALL 720p files worked faultlessly (indicating that the hardware is ok?), but most of the time this isn't the case.

If other people are experiencing similar issues then I'll stop searching as the hardware obviously isn't up to the job, but it was my impression that the hardware should be far better than my experience so far.

Any thoughts gratefully received!

PS I have the BCM70012 card if that's relevant.

February 16, 2015 - 9:41pm
lhcsummer's picture

I will provide you some more valuable things