28 posts / 0 new / Last post
#1  September 25, 2018 - 9:49pm
JarvisMeier's picture
Beta Tester
Kudos: 44

Just an FYI but it appears the iPhone XS/Max are having choppy playback with 4K HDR video. James are you aware of this and if so have you sent anything to Apple?

For me it seems to affect local Infuse movies, iTunes, and Netflix HDR content. iOS Beta 12.1 doesn’t seem to fix the issue.

September 26, 2018 - 10:38am
JarvisMeier's picture
Beta Tester

And just like that it appears to have stopped in Infuse. I’ll need to do more testing to completely verify.

Massive stuttering still occurs in Netflix and iTunes but that’s not a problem that needs to be addressed here.

September 26, 2018 - 11:05am
NC Bullseye's picture
Kudos: 366

There have been others with similar problems not necessarily on iOS devices that was traced back to something else on the same network hogging bandwidth so many something else was eating bandwidth and causing the chop. Just a thought.

•Just Another Infuse User• •Not An Employee Of Firecore• •Certified Curmudgeon•

September 26, 2018 - 11:57am
JarvisMeier's picture
Beta Tester
  NC Bullseye wrote:

There have been others with similar problems not necessarily on iOS devices that was traced back to something else on the same network hogging bandwidth so many something else was eating bandwidth and causing the chop. Just a thought.

No it wasn’t a bandwidth issue. I checked my network monitor on my Cisco ASA and could verify no saturation.

I ran across this today https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/iphone-xs... and other users are having similar issues.

September 30, 2018 - 11:41am
JarvisMeier's picture
Beta Tester

This needs to be re-investigated. The stutter is back. It’s really apparent on any content that has a lot of zooming or panning. It’s like judder you’d see on a TV. I downloaded the videos to my phone and they judder as well. This only seems to affect 24p content. 60fps video seems to play back better.

September 30, 2018 - 3:56pm
wilk0076's picture
Kudos: 39

I’m seeing it, too. I have a hevc 24p hdr 4K file of Blade Runner 2049 and I transferred it local to my iPhone Xs Max and I’m experiencing that judder on nearly every scene that pans.

The picture is stellar, though!!

September 30, 2018 - 4:00pm
JarvisMeier's picture
Beta Tester
  wilk0076 wrote:

I’m seeing it, too. I have a hevc 24p hdr 4K file of Blade Runner 2049 and I transferred it local to my iPhone Xs Max and I’m experiencing that judder on nearly every scene that pans.

The picture is stellar, though!!

I’m thinking this might be either hardware or iOS related. It probably has something to do with the 120hz panel in the phone. It’s not just Infuse with the problem... even apples own iTunes content has the problem.

I’m wondering if the Infuse folks raise the issue with apple if it’ll get more traction for a fix.

October 1, 2018 - 12:35pm
NC Bullseye's picture
  JarvisMeier wrote:

I’m thinking this might be either hardware or iOS related. It probably has something to do with the 120hz panel in the phone. It’s not just Infuse with the problem... even apples own iTunes content has the problem.

I’m wondering if the Infuse folks raise the issue with apple if it’ll get more traction for a fix.

What brand and model of router are you using?

October 1, 2018 - 2:33pm
JarvisMeier's picture
Beta Tester
  NC Bullseye wrote:

What brand and model of router are you using?

Cisco ASA 5505 and ubiquiti UAP-HD. I also have a gigabit unifi switch. The judder happens on content that is downloaded and stored on my phone as well as with streaming from my NAS.

October 1, 2018 - 2:56pm
james's picture
Staff
Kudos: 1,133

We're seeing the same thing here with some files, and are looking to see if there's anything we can do on the Infuse side.

If it is in fact a system-wide iOS bug, then the fix will probably need to come from Apple.

Infuse 6 for iOS and Apple TV is now available!

October 2, 2018 - 8:09pm
james's picture
Staff
Kudos: 1,133

After a few quick tests, it looks like this may have been resolved in today's iOS 12.1 b2 release.

Infuse 6 for iOS and Apple TV is now available!

October 3, 2018 - 9:32am
JarvisMeier's picture
Beta Tester
  james wrote:

After a few quick tests, it looks like this may have been resolved in today's iOS 12.1 b2 release.

Ive done some testing too and though it seems a lot better I do notice some slowdown stutter on panning shots. Disabling True Tone auto brightness improves it even more. I think it’s safe to say that this is definitely an apple issue and not an Infuse problem.

Side note: thanks for the quick feedback and attention to this issue. I wish other companies (aka Zidoo) provided the same level of support.

October 3, 2018 - 9:45am
NC Bullseye's picture
  JarvisMeier wrote:

Ive done some testing too and though it seems a lot better I do notice some slowdown stutter on panning shots. Disabling True Tone auto brightness improves it even more. I think it’s safe to say that this is definitely an apple issue and not an Infuse problem.

Side note: thanks for the quick feedback and attention to this issue. I wish other companies (aka Zidoo) provided the same level of support.

Thanks for all of your testing! Sorry about the goose chase but wanted to try and help with the tidbits I've gleaned here in the forum. Now to add another gremlin to the possibilities.

I'll have an iPhone X when the XX is released. LOL

October 7, 2018 - 11:01pm
tr04's picture
Kudos: 4

It’s not a hardware or software issue. It’s the OLED display. Google “OLED stutter” and you’ll read of people seeing it for the first time.

OLED pixels can change color/state nearly instantly. LCDs displays, on the other hand, are slower to change and sort of fade between colors/states. Some motions like panning look smoother on LCDs because the frames are blending together and make a nice motion blur. OLEDs can easily keep up with a rapidly moving scene so it’ll look stuttery.

There may be something Apple can do about it to lessen the effect, but it may just be something to get used to as OLED becomes more common.

October 8, 2018 - 9:14am
JarvisMeier's picture
Beta Tester
  tr04 wrote:

It’s not a hardware or software issue. It’s the OLED display. Google “OLED stutter” and you’ll read of people seeing it for the first time.

OLED pixels can change color/state nearly instantly. LCDs displays, on the other hand, are slower to change and sort of fade between colors/states. Some motions like panning look smoother on LCDs because the frames are blending together and make a nice motion blur. OLEDs can easily keep up with a rapidly moving scene so it’ll look stuttery.

There may be something Apple can do about it to lessen the effect, but it may just be something to get used to as OLED becomes more common.

To some degree yes but if I disable auto brightness on the phone the stutter almost completely disappears. This is only for 24p content. 30fps and 60fps content plays back perfectly without having to do any tweaks. So the issue is with how Apple is handling 24p content in iOS.

October 8, 2018 - 9:34am
wilk0076's picture
Kudos: 39
  tr04 wrote:

Except I did not have this issue on any videos I watched with my previous iPhone X. Now that I have the XS Max, I notice it quite a bit. Both phones have OLED.

October 8, 2018 - 12:41pm
JarvisMeier's picture
Beta Tester
  wilk0076 wrote:

Except I did not have this issue on any videos I watched with my previous iPhone X. Now that I have the XS Max, I notice it quite a bit. Both phones have OLED.

turning off auto brightness in accessibility settings should fix the problem. This points to a software or processor issue.

October 9, 2018 - 3:19pm
JarvisMeier's picture
Beta Tester

iOS 12.1 beta 3 might have fixed the issue.. I’ve only had enough time to test on two problematic movies and they re playing back much better

November 16, 2018 - 5:09am
blesio's picture
Beta Tester
Kudos: 7

I don't know if this helped. Almost all videos I play have choppy playback, and I'm not playing HDR videos, normal mkv, fullhd clips. I did not have the same issues on iPhone X.
Could it be that the display is not capable of synchronizing to the video content, in sense that if you have 24fps content then the screen refresh should also be lowered to 24Hz, like on the AppleTV. This is really strange. If Apple doesn't fix that soon I will probably return the phone, this is my main multimedia consumption device and it's very frustrating.

November 16, 2018 - 8:05pm
JarvisMeier's picture
Beta Tester
  blesio wrote:

I don't know if this helped. Almost all videos I play have choppy playback, and I'm not playing HDR videos, normal mkv, fullhd clips. I did not have the same issues on iPhone X.
Could it be that the display is not capable of synchronizing to the video content, in sense that if you have 24fps content then the screen refresh should also be lowered to 24Hz, like on the AppleTV. This is really strange. If Apple doesn't fix that soon I will probably return the phone, this is my main multimedia consumption device and it's very frustrating.

Playback is better with the latest 12.1.1 beta 3 but not perfect. Try turning off auto brightness. It’ll fix your playback issues.

November 17, 2018 - 2:22am
blesio's picture
Beta Tester

Turning off auto brightness does not change anything for me.

November 17, 2018 - 10:22am
JarvisMeier's picture
Beta Tester

I recommend following the macrumors forum thread I posted above. Ignore anything posted by Sinonson81. He appears to be kind of an idiot.

December 19, 2018 - 12:40am
Simonson81's picture
Kudos: 0

This is almost 3 mos 1/4 of the phones cycle and this idiot has narrowed down the issue is is I face the pmc power management chip in device sold in the USA the duel sim that’s sold over seas does not have this issue I’m talking about the 2 physical sims variant and it’s in fact a hardware issue as the dual physical sim intl version has diff pmc all
Other chips are identical almost so this is only difference and def the issue.

February 17, 2019 - 1:34am
blesio's picture
Beta Tester

Hi, just had a thought, can Firecore incorporate something like Fluid Motion or other kind of video smoothing playback like the TVs have? Or maybe it can switch the FPS on the phones display like the TVs also can? I think that either of these could potentially resolve the problem. The refresh rate of the Display would be optimal, I can see that from the TV, I don’t see any of the problems that I see on the phone. If this is not possible then maybe upping the frame rate of the video to match the phones display refresh rate?

Kind regards

February 17, 2019 - 5:00pm
JarvisMeier's picture
Beta Tester
  blesio wrote:

Hi, just had a thought, can Firecore incorporate something like Fluid Motion or other kind of video smoothing playback like the TVs have? Or maybe it can switch the FPS on the phones display like the TVs also can? I think that either of these could potentially resolve the problem. The refresh rate of the Display would be optimal, I can see that from the TV, I don’t see any of the problems that I see on the phone. If this is not possible then maybe upping the frame rate of the video to match the phones display refresh rate?

Kind regards

It’s not a refresh rate problem. People have narrowed it down to some sort of HDR brightness adjustment conflicting with the system auto brightness setting.

February 18, 2019 - 12:04am
blesio's picture
Beta Tester

You are wrong, there are two problems. One problem is the the one you mentioned, and this is really a performance issue where you get maybe 5-10 FPS during playback in non regular intervals when you have automatic brightness turned on.
The other problem is that Infuse is not able to sync the display refresh to the movie FPS which results in non fluid movie playback. This was not so much visible on the LCD since they had pixel lag or as you could call motion blur due to pixel lag. While on pled it’s more apparent. I can see a big difference while playing films that have other FPS than 30 or 60 like the mentioned 24 FPS or even 25FPS. Like I previously wrote, INFUSE for ATV is able to switch the TV to the appropriate refresh so that the TV is in ideal sync with the movie. If infuse is not able to change the refresh rate of the iPhone display it could use some motion smotheness technique to match the displays refresh rate.
Maybe I’m wrong but I can see this problem on all movies, not just HDR ones.

February 18, 2019 - 12:35am
timstephens24's picture
Beta Tester
Kudos: 118

The iPhone doesn't support ProMotion like the newer (last 2 generation) iPad Pro's. It also doesn't support resolution switchining like the Apple TVs. I don't think there's anything anyone can do to change the refresh rate on the iPhones, but you can always submit a ticket to Apple.

Apple TV 4K --> Denon X6500H 7.1.4 --> LG OLED65C6P
======== SYNOLOGY DS1815+ DS513 ========
iPhone XS Max ||| iPad Pro 10.5

February 21, 2019 - 5:53pm
JarvisMeier's picture
Beta Tester

The iPhones have locked refresh rate. Motion blur is common on OLED screens however the original topic that I posted about here isn’t about motion blur from OLED. If you go to the Mac Rumors link I posted it’s a much different problem that the community has managed to pin down.