54 posts / 0 new / Last post
#1  November 14, 2018 - 1:42pm
chawagon03's picture
Kudos: 0

Wondering if anyone out there purely uses Infuse with only Google Drive (Unlimited). I'm currently trying to eliminate my needs of the Plex Server and just use infuse with drive as that sounds like it would deliver my needs.

Is anyone out there doing that? And if so, how is your experience so far?

November 14, 2018 - 3:02pm
danemacmillan's picture
Beta Tester
Kudos: 143

I've been doing this exclusively for all of 2018, after several years on Plex hosted in my home, managing hardware, and later on remote servers.

If you're tired of all the sysadmin nonsense that inevitably befalls anyone hosting a service, the experience with Infuse is mostly great, headache-free, and I've seen valuable improvements delivered throughout the year, which means the developers are focused and dedicated. The move to Infuse has reduced my bill to $10/mo for Google Drive, versus all variety of self-hosting, remote servers, etc.

You start to see slow downs the larger your content collection is with regards to indexing, opening up indexed libraries, and having new content appear, but they're not huge downsides.

• Infuse Pro Lifetime
  November 14, 2018 - 5:51pm
timstephens24's picture
Beta Tester
Kudos: 118

I'm too scared to add it and scan because I don't want the 24 hour suspension lol

Apple TV 4K --> Denon X6500H 7.1.4 --> LG OLED65C6P
======== SYNOLOGY DS1815+ DS513 ========
iPhone XS Max ||| iPad Pro 10.5

November 14, 2018 - 9:12pm
chawagon03's picture

Out of curiosity, what is considered a big library? I’m currently just shy of 20TB but could easily purge half of it.

November 14, 2018 - 11:42pm
elmerfreak's picture
  timstephens24 wrote:

I'm too scared to add it and scan because I don't want the 24 hour suspension lol

I'm scared too lol, I'm trying now, it will be nice if @james could give us some kind of guideness with the topic (API ban from Google)

November 15, 2018 - 3:58am
timstephens24's picture
Beta Tester
  chawagon03 wrote:

Out of curiosity, what is considered a big library? I’m currently just shy of 20TB but could easily purge half of it.

Most people would consider yours big. I'm around 31TB, but I use it as a backup also keep it on my Synology as well so I can only get about 10TB more before I need a new server.

November 15, 2018 - 8:20am
danemacmillan's picture
Beta Tester

For those of you scared about API bans, it seems the problems may be gone.

I was planning to create a new post about the 5.9 release, because I’ve been anticipating Infuse’s update to how they index content from GDrive, but I’ll mention it here: I’m super pleased with this release. You do not need to worry about API bans anymore. The indexing process is significantly faster. For reference, I pointed it to one of my content collections that contain 20k items, and Infuse detected all of the files in 20 minutes, which used to take hours, and then spent the next nine hours fetching metadata, which is perfectly acceptable given the size, and no slower than Plex would do it. Not a single ban; I know this because I was able to watch content when it was over, and furthermore, I used to have to endure two to three bans in order for my entire collection to get scanned in, because GDrive would ban me before Infuse could get even a third of the way through.

I’ve been very vocal about the banning and performance over this year:
- https://firecore.com/forum/topic/19783
- https://firecore.com/forum/topic/19647

I’m happy to say that 5.9 seems to have done away with them in their re-implementation of GDrive APIs.

For reference 20TB and 31TB are huge, respectively, but you will almost certainly not hit the ban at that size.

• Infuse Pro Lifetime
  November 15, 2018 - 9:09am
adamharlow's picture
  danemacmillan wrote:

The indexing process is significantly faster. For reference, I pointed it to one of my content collections that contain 20k items, and Infuse detected all of the files in 20 minutes, which used to take hours, and then spent the next nine hours fetching metadata, which is perfectly acceptable given the size,

I am intrigued by this because I tried a similar scan and after 20 min it is still just pinwheeling, no files found. I even removed and re-added my G-Drive to see what if any effect that would have. None.

It doesn't seem to be capable of indexing the files from G-drive incrementally, only all at once. Even on my ATV I scan the g-drive folder and same result. However if I dip into the folder view it pinwheels....loads all folders, and if I get back out it has to reload all folders again from scratch.

So for some reason I have the ability to see the folder view (Without metadata or complete file names) but I can't seem to get it to scan any of those items into the library.

November 15, 2018 - 9:51am
danemacmillan's picture
Beta Tester

Be aware that there’s no background processing of any kind, so if you leave the app or do something else in the app, like stream, the indexing stops. Essentially, when Infuse is indexing, keep it open on the indexing screen, do nothing else, and do not let the screen or device go to sleep.

• Infuse Pro Lifetime
  November 15, 2018 - 10:21am
elmerfreak's picture
  danemacmillan wrote:

For those of you scared about API bans, it seems the problems may be gone.

I was planning to create a new post about the 5.9 release, because I’ve been anticipating Infuse’s update to how they index content from GDrive, but I’ll mention it here: I’m super pleased with this release. You do not need to worry about API bans anymore. The indexing process is significantly faster. For reference, I pointed it to one of my content collections that contain 20k items, and Infuse detected all of the files in 20 minutes, which used to take hours, and then spent the next nine hours fetching metadata, which is perfectly acceptable given the size, and no slower than Plex would do it. Not a single ban; I know this because I was able to watch content when it was over, and furthermore, I used to have to endure two to three bans in order for my entire collection to get scanned in, because GDrive would ban me before Infuse could get even a third of the way through.

I’ve been very vocal about the banning and performance over this year:
- https://firecore.com/forum/topic/19783
- https://firecore.com/forum/topic/19647

I’m happy to say that 5.9 seems to have done away with them in their re-implementation of GDrive APIs.

For reference 20TB and 31TB are huge, respectively, but you will almost certainly not hit the ban at that size.

Thanks! testing now Smile

November 15, 2018 - 7:30pm
timstephens24's picture
Beta Tester

I added mine and it took about an hour or so to scan everything in. The downside is every refresh takes about 6 minutes, so I'll stick with the Plex integration that takes about 15 seconds for a refresh.

November 16, 2018 - 8:56am
danemacmillan's picture
Beta Tester
  timstephens24 wrote:

I added mine and it took about an hour or so to scan everything in. The downside is every refresh takes about 6 minutes, so I'll stick with the Plex integration that takes about 15 seconds for a refresh.

Yeah, it's still timely to get post-index updates in. I typically have to wait about 45-60 minutes to get anything new in, which is why I've developed the habit of leaving Infuse open on my Apple TV every night before going to bed. Background processing would greatly improve this--pulling in updates while watching something would be great.

• Infuse Pro Lifetime
  November 16, 2018 - 2:27pm
james's picture
Staff
Kudos: 1,113
  danemacmillan wrote:

Yeah, it's still timely to get post-index updates in. I typically have to wait about 45-60 minutes to get anything new in, which is why I've developed the habit of leaving Infuse open on my Apple TV every night before going to bed. Background processing would greatly improve this--pulling in updates while watching something would be great.

Could you provide a bit more info about how these files are organized?

We've got a few things in progress for Infuse 6 that should allow us to index videos from Google Drive in a much more efficient manner, especially in cases where Infuse is having to traverse a large number of folders. AFAIK, these slowdowns only appear when you have hundreds (or thousands) of folders in Google Drive, but there may be other cases as well.

Infuse 6 for iOS and Apple TV is now available!

November 17, 2018 - 5:12am
danemacmillan's picture
Beta Tester
  james wrote:

Could you provide a bit more info about how these files are organized?

We've got a few things in progress for Infuse 6 that should allow us to index videos from Google Drive in a much more efficient manner, especially in cases where Infuse is having to traverse a large number of folders. AFAIK, these slowdowns only appear when you have hundreds (or thousands) of folders in Google Drive, but there may be other cases as well.

Gladly.

these slowdowns only appear when you have hundreds (or thousands) of folders in Google Drive

Would that be the entire contents of Google Drive, or the specific directories that are favorited in Infuse? If Infuse has to look at every directory in Google Drive, regardless of its favorited status (what Infuse is told to look at), then that number will be huge.

If it's specifically the directories that power the "TV Shows" library, then it is comprised of 2019 directories, all organized as "seriesname/season/episode.ext."

If it's all of the favorited directories being used for Infuse's indexed libraries ("Movies," and "TV Shows") then it's 5120.

If it's all directories in Google Drive, which includes more than just the media numbers above, then it's hundreds of thousands, but Infuse is not pointing at any of these.

To get these counts, I just ran find . -type d |wc -l.

• Infuse Pro Lifetime
  November 17, 2018 - 8:42am
james's picture
Staff
  danemacmillan wrote:

Would that be the entire contents of Google Drive, or the specific directories that are favorited in Infuse? If Infuse has to look at every directory in Google Drive, regardless of its favorited status (what Infuse is told to look at), then that number will be huge.

If it's specifically the directories that power the "TV Shows" library, then it is comprised of 2019 directories, all organized as "seriesname/season/episode.ext."

If it's all of the favorited directories being used for Infuse's indexed libraries ("Movies," and "TV Shows") then it's 5120.

If it's all directories in Google Drive, which includes more than just the media numbers above, then it's hundreds of thousands, but Infuse is not pointing at any of these.

To get these counts, I just ran find . -type d |wc -l.

Thanks! There's a very good chance the changes we have in progress will help with your library. Smile

November 17, 2018 - 9:01am
danemacmillan's picture
Beta Tester
  james wrote:

Thanks! There's a very good chance the changes we have in progress will help with your library. Smile

Awesome, I'm waiting patiently.

I'll just throw it out there, but can this also be the reason why my "TV Shows" indexed library loads so slowly? https://firecore.com/forum/topic/19793

• Infuse Pro Lifetime
  November 19, 2018 - 11:21am
DonJuanZA's picture
Beta Tester
Kudos: 3

If people here are mentioning 20TB and 30TB as huge, what would you like to call my current 152TB GDrive (pure media)...

Biggest issue I see with direct GDrive connection, every single file on my GDrive is encrypted... And as much as some people say it doesn't matter, I don't trust the company that has you as a product...

November 19, 2018 - 1:23pm
posthaste's picture
Kudos: 1

I searched for Google Drive pricing and found the following:

https://one.google.com/about

$99 / month for 10 TB
$199 / month for 20 TB
$299 / month for 30 TB

And I see guys in this thread posting about multi-terabyte Google Drives and thousands of files. I don't even see an unlimited option on that page. What am I missing? Because the prices seem exorbitant for the equivalent hard drive space you can have at home.

Thanks for enlightening me.

November 19, 2018 - 2:23pm
chawagon03's picture

Google g-suite.

November 19, 2018 - 3:43pm
timstephens24's picture
Beta Tester
  DonJuanZA wrote:

If people here are mentioning 20TB and 30TB as huge, what would you like to call my current 152TB GDrive (pure media)...

I'd call that "asking for the service to get changed" lol

November 19, 2018 - 6:23pm
jakeadams's picture
Beta Tester

Like others in this thread, I also use Google Drive Unlimited and Infuse and haven't encountered any problems with API Bans or buffering. I have been doing this for about 3 months now. I don't use the Plex Integration, I have Google Drive connected directly to Infuse.

However, I am currently in the process of looking for a backup of my Google Drive. I have about 15TB worth of 1080p/4K REMUX MKVs and I don't want my account to get banned/terminated. I don't use any of the sharing link features in Google for my files - Infuse is the only thing used to access/read. I have GSuite.

Does anyone have experience with Google Drive backups or suggest another method? I was thinking about getting a Synology DS918+ but still haven't decided if I want to download and stream my movies off of the NAS. I just want to make sure I don't lose any of my movie files since I have spent years collecting.

Any help/feedback is appreciated. I'd love to hear how other Infuse Pro users are accessing their videos. Thank you!

Jake Adams

November 20, 2018 - 5:13am
DonJuanZA's picture
Beta Tester
  timstephens24 wrote:

I'd call that "asking for the service to get changed" lol

The reason Amazon pulled their service is because of some numpty running a script and pushing a petabyte of data, onto a service which they charged $60/year for... Google is not stupid, they make pricing per month and per user, along with limiting daily upload amounts, and they can comfortably run with that... Remember, you are the product, more they can extract out of you the better...

Hence the encryption....

November 20, 2018 - 12:49pm
invincible1914's picture
  chawagon03 wrote:

Wondering if anyone out there purely uses Infuse with only Google Drive (Unlimited). I'm currently trying to eliminate my needs of the Plex Server and just use infuse with drive as that sounds like it would deliver my needs.

Is anyone out there doing that? And if so, how is your experience so far?

I switched from Plex Cloud to Infuse Pro for sharing my Google Drive with my family earlier this year. I still use Plex and local storage at home. The Google drive is essentially a backup for me... but they love it (And I'm only talking about a handful of people who I know would appreciate the movies.) I guess if I was to list some pros and cons:
Pro's:
It's awesome. Everything plays like a champ. My folks don't have to be tech savvy. I can easily manage metadata using iCloud sync. (Also, by it being Apple TV only, it keeps them from using underpowered equipment like $30 Roku sticks or logging right into the app on their tv.) It travels so well. Going out of town, just take the Apple TV/iPad and you're good. I can also download movies through infuse right to my iPad before getting on a plane. The game changer though is with this setup I don't have to worry about maintaining a server. Plex cloud had so many issues, but it did introduce me to this convenience. Discovering infuse took it to the next level

Con's:
(Before listing these, just want to state that I love infuse and understand that something like this isn't going to be perfect. I appreciate the work that the developers put in.) Library updates take awhile. If you ever lose everything, it does come back; however it takes awhile. And there used to be the Google 24 hour ban when this happened, but it doesn't seem to be happening anymore. Some movies of certain file formats takes take a LONG time to start playing. I have no idea what's the difference or what causes this. Some mkv files start right up, but thers load for about 3 minutes or so for me before starting up. I've heard someone say it takes 10 minute, but I have never been able to duplicate that long a load time on my end. I just tell my folks that that is just the trade off for not having to deal with buffering during the movie. Another thing to look out for is you have to have rock solid bandwith, especially if a lot of devices are connected to your net at once and you absolutely must have unlimited data. From what I can tell, watching a 12Gb movie uses 12GB of data plus all the uploading you will be doing. Also, uploads to Google Drive are slow. The last con i can think of is that there are no extras and trailers for the movies and tv shows. I would just sync plex to infuse and use that if it had that. My wife likes to look at trailers while deciding what she wants to watch.

But I will say that using infuse though Google Drive is not perfect but it's so clean and convenient. No servers to maintain. You don't have to worry about hard drive failure. You will also have a very user friendly interface that anyone can figure out. I think you would like it. Everybody who I've setup this way loves it.

November 28, 2018 - 9:45am
james's picture
Staff
  danemacmillan wrote:

Awesome, I'm waiting patiently.

I'll just throw it out there, but can this also be the reason why my "TV Shows" indexed library loads so slowly? https://firecore.com/forum/topic/19793

Seeing some pretty encouraging results here for 5.9.2. Smile

250 Google Drive folders:
- 2 minutes in Infuse v5.9.1
- 2 seconds in Infuse v5.9.2

1000 Google Drive folders:
- 7 minutes in Infuse v5.9.1
- 12 seconds in Infuse v5.9.2

November 28, 2018 - 9:57am
invincible1914's picture
  james wrote:

Seeing some pretty encouraging results here for 5.9.2. Smile

250 Google Drive folders:
- 2 minutes in Infuse v5.9.1
- 2 seconds in Infuse v5.9.2

1000 Google Drive folders:
- 7 minutes in Infuse v5.9.1
- 12 seconds in Infuse v5.9.2

This is great news! It just keeps getting better!

November 28, 2018 - 11:39am
Wassindabox's picture
Beta Tester
Kudos: 2

I’m actually in the process of moving about 18tb of media to infuse (coming from pled over to infuse). The process to move files is painfully slow lol. Anyone got suggestions for decent speed file uploads ? I’m not expecting it to be 10 megs a sec upload but 2-4 megs upload would be nice and should keep me under the 75 gigs a day limit.

O.s I love love love what you guys are doing with infuse. You guys are always active on the forums, quick to respond to questions, actively pushing out updates. I started with a one year plan to test the waters but I’m going to end up with a lifetime because you’ve impressed me so much.

November 28, 2018 - 2:31pm
invincible1914's picture
  Wassindabox wrote:

I’m actually in the process of moving about 18tb of media to infuse (coming from pled over to infuse). The process to move files is painfully slow lol. Anyone got suggestions for decent speed file uploads ? I’m not expecting it to be 10 megs a sec upload but 2-4 megs upload would be nice and should keep me under the 75 gigs a day limit.

O.s I love love love what you guys are doing with infuse. You guys are always active on the forums, quick to respond to questions, actively pushing out updates. I started with a one year plan to test the waters but I’m going to end up with a lifetime because you’ve impressed me so much.

I used GoodSync when I did mine but I probably had 10TB then and it took months to upload everything.Around 600k/sec . When I updated my cable plan it got faster... a little under 1.2MB/s which is about an hour for a 4.5GB upload.

November 28, 2018 - 3:28pm
timstephens24's picture
Beta Tester

I have a fiber connection, so it was a pretty easy backup for me on gigabit :p. There's really nothing you'll be able to do if your upload speeds from your ISP are slow.

November 29, 2018 - 8:48am
aussetg's picture

Anybody tested 4K videos?

Is the need for Rclone + cache gone ...? Is it christmas ?

November 29, 2018 - 9:07am
danemacmillan's picture
Beta Tester
  aussetg wrote:

Anybody tested 4K videos?

Is the need for Rclone + cache gone ...? Is it christmas ?

4K is a non-issue.

You didn't know? It's been Christmas all year! If you're coming from that--having to mount your GDrive with rclone (possibly even PlexDrive), incessantly tinkering with cache settings--that's all gone. With Infuse I actually get to just watch my stuff instead of playing sysadmin all day and night; it's unreal. You're in for a treat. The Infuse team in just the last couple minor releases have significantly improved their content scanning and indexing, and they're not even done. It's really fantastic. You've joined us at a great time.

• Infuse Pro Lifetime
  November 29, 2018 - 9:14am
aussetg's picture
  danemacmillan wrote:

4K is a non-issue.
[....]
If you're coming from that--having to mount your GDrive with rclone (possibly even PlexDrive), incessantly tinkering with cache settings--that's all gone..

I'm going to try tonight, wow. Recently my rclone + cache setup stopped working for 4K and I have no idea why. Rclone is amazing but so finicky, the gf wasn't super amazed by the setup when I needed to do some maintenance every night before we could watch something without buffering haha.

And no I didn't know, I just saw the patch note and thought " hey maybe it works well ? ", I naively thought rclone was the best solution.