55 posts / 0 new / Last post
  November 29, 2018 - 9:32am
danemacmillan's picture
Beta Tester
Kudos: 146
  aussetg wrote:

I'm going to try tonight, wow. Recently my rclone + cache setup stopped working for 4K and I have no idea why. Rclone is amazing but so finicky, the gf wasn't super amazed by the setup when I needed to do some maintenance every night before we could watch something without buffering haha.

And no I didn't know, I just saw the patch note and thought " hey maybe it works well ? ", I naively thought rclone was the best solution.

Let us know how it goes. One thing to keep in mind: just let Infuse do its thing when indexing. Especially if you have a sizeable collection. Infuse is not overly verbose in its feedback, so be sure to keep the app open at all times and do nothing else in the app. This is a downside to not have background processing, so you really do need to keep the app open and idle while it scans for content.

For reference, and this is relative to library size, you will see that Infuse will discover the number of files you have anywhere between five and twenty minutes; you'll see the file count jump suddenly. Once that is done, Infuse begins the longer process of matching those files with metadata. That process will take as long as any other metadata fetching operation on a fresh Plex Media Server install, so expect to sit there for many hours if you have a large number of files. It's important that you do not put the app in the background, or start doing something else in Infuse or another app. If you do that, Infuse will not be fetching anything. This is a pain point for myself and others, but Infuse is aware that it's not ideal.

Finally, Infuse is less robust in its metadata matching than Plex. If you're used to 98% of your content being matched in Plex by default, don't be surprised if you only see between 70%-95% matched. I more or less spent 2018, in small bouts when I had the time, auto-renaming thousands of files. In that time, and as recently as a couple weeks ago, I believe Infuse updated their scanning techniques to also account for directory structure of TV Shows; whereas previously the file itself needed to contain both the name of the show and the standard "S##E##" string. See https://support.firecore.com/hc/en-us/articles... for reference, as they just updated that document at least twice in the last two weeks, and added those new additions. In other words, you may by default see closer to 80%-96% matching instead. I'm pulling these numbers out of thin air, but it's just to get my point across that you need to ensure your files are named properly, as Infuse is less forgiving than Plex.

• Infuse Pro Lifetime
  November 29, 2018 - 9:37am
aussetg's picture
Kudos: 1

Thanks for letting me know because I would never have left infuse running ( or I would have had infuse burned in my OLED forever ), I'll disable HDMI-CEC and let it run overnight

November 29, 2018 - 9:42am
danemacmillan's picture
Beta Tester
  aussetg wrote:

Thanks for letting me know because I would never have left infuse running ( or I would have had infuse burned in my OLED forever ), I'll disable HDMI-CEC and let it run overnight

Good strategy. I do the same, but instead I turn off the projector and just keep the Apple TV running with Infuse open.

• Infuse Pro Lifetime
  November 29, 2018 - 10:23am
remotevisitor's picture
Kudos: 35

Don’t forget to change the Sleep setting for the ATV to its maximum 10 hours if you want to leave it running fetching metadata overnight. Change it back to normal once you are done.

November 29, 2018 - 11:08am
purdnost's picture
Kudos: 14

The university I attended offers free unlimited G Suite Google cloud storage to all students as well as alumni. I am considering using this resource to back up my movies and use with Infuse. One concern is that the domain administrator(s) would have access to all of my data. I feel like perhaps such a free account should only be used for school purposes. I've also distanced myself from Google this past year because of Google's privacy and data use practices.

I read somewhere that the data uploaded to Google cloud services can be encrypted on my end to protect my privacy. Google encrypts on their end, but that means they can also decrypt my data.

Interested in your guys' thoughts on this.

December 1, 2018 - 10:03am
danemacmillan's picture
Beta Tester
  tsondrup wrote:

The university I attended offers free unlimited G Suite Google cloud storage to all students as well as alumni. I am considering using this resource to back up my movies and use with Infuse. One concern is that the domain administrator(s) would have access to all of my data. I feel like perhaps such a free account should only be used for school purposes. I've also distanced myself from Google this past year because of Google's privacy and data use practices.

I read somewhere that the data uploaded to Google cloud services can be encrypted on my end to protect my privacy. Google encrypts on their end, but that means they can also decrypt my data.

Interested in your guys' thoughts on this.

If you intend to use this directly with Infuse, you cannot encrypt any of it; there is no support in place to be able to decrypt data.

I use Google Drive for storing media, unencrypted. Similar to you, I've distanced myself from Google services. Should Google decide they dislike the contents of the drive, I genuinely could not care if this data is lost. I've established long ago in my mind that media libraries are ephemeral. As I do not use Google for anything, and use Firefox containers to ensure that I only ever visit GDrive in a dedicated container, I also could not care that the only thing Google knows about this given profile with them is that there is media content stored in a GDrive and nothing more.

Should you intend to also store personal documents, I highly recommend you use a command line utility called rclone to encrypt the contents (this is what most people you've read about are using), but keep these files separate from the media files. This is going beyond the topic, but do not entrust GDrive with your sole backup of personal data; ensure that you have at least a couple of sources.

• Infuse Pro Lifetime
  December 2, 2018 - 3:09am
danemacmillan's picture
Beta Tester

Just an FYI for anyone reading this: the 5.9.2 beta that will release in the next couple of weeks has signficantly improved file scanning/discovery in GDrive. This also means adding new content to an existing library will happen much faster.

This is easily the most apparent update to file discovery times all year. I say this completely devoid of hyperbole. This is the update I've personally been anticipating all year.

• Infuse Pro Lifetime
  December 15, 2018 - 10:30pm
purdnost's picture

It's taking about an hour per movie to upload to Google Drive. Would upgrading to optical fiber internet help, or does Google throttle upload speeds from their end?

December 16, 2018 - 5:03am
invincible1914's picture
Kudos: 0
  danemacmillan wrote:

Just an FYI for anyone reading this: the 5.9.2 beta that will release in the next couple of weeks has signficantly improved file scanning/discovery in GDrive. This also means adding new content to an existing library will happen much faster.

This is easily the most apparent update to file discovery times all year. I say this completely devoid of hyperbole. This is the update I've personally been anticipating all year.

Just tried this out yesterday. It's awesome.

December 16, 2018 - 8:46am
danemacmillan's picture
Beta Tester
  tsondrup wrote:

It's taking about an hour per movie to upload to Google Drive. Would upgrading to optical fiber internet help, or does Google throttle upload speeds from their end?

Last I had my finger on the pulse, Google had capped uploads to about 750GB per day. I do know some people have had success uploading more when tweaking the number of uploads per batch, but you would need to do some reading; there is a lot of talk regarding rclone uploads to GDrive on various rclone communities and slack channels. Your personal upload speed will greatly affect how quickly you can upload, for sure.

• Infuse Pro Lifetime
  December 16, 2018 - 4:32pm
timstephens24's picture
Beta Tester
Kudos: 118
  tsondrup wrote:

If you have the option to get fiber, you probably should. I have 1Gbps up and down and Google Drive uploads are really fast. There is the 750GB limit per day in Google Drive so you can throttle the upload if you're going to hit that (it took me a few hours overnight every night to hit that while I was sleeping). There are ways around it with Team Drive (each Team Drive account gets 750GB) but I didn't need to rush backing up my stuff so I never used it.

Apple TV 4K --> Denon X6500H 7.1.4 --> LG OLED65C6P
======== SYNOLOGY DS1815+ DS513 ========
iPhone XS Max ||| iPad Pro 10.5

February 26, 2019 - 1:43pm
Soldiiier's picture

I'm considering doing this and moving away from my current WD My Cloud Home. I mistakenly bought this NAS thinking it was an upgrade on the previous generation. the specs and speed are good, but its not your typical NAS (needs system based user accounts for web access, and public folder is only accessible locally)

So I'm considering the move to Google drive, but I'm concerned with the performance, particularly as media files start to add up, and streaming over the internet vs locally.
I don't hold on to a lot of media, I generally delete the series when I'm done, but I have collected multitudes of "going to watch"

On my NAS I have about 3TB of stuff.

can anyone advise on their experiences?
Also what is with the API ban? Is it a velocity/frequency of requests that cause the ban?

Thanks in advance.

February 26, 2019 - 2:20pm
purdnost's picture
  Soldiiier wrote:

I'm considering doing this and moving away from my current WD My Cloud Home. I mistakenly bought this NAS thinking it was an upgrade on the previous generation. the specs and speed are good, but its not your typical NAS (needs system based user accounts for web access, and public folder is only accessible locally)

So I'm considering the move to Google drive, but I'm concerned with the performance, particularly as media files start to add up, and streaming over the internet vs locally.
I don't hold on to a lot of media, I generally delete the series when I'm done, but I have collected multitudes of "going to watch"

On my NAS I have about 3TB of stuff.

can anyone advise on their experiences?
Also what is with the API ban? Is it a velocity/frequency of requests that cause the ban?

Thanks in advance.

Performance on my end has been great! It's actually faster most times than when I had my hard drive because I don't have to wait for it to spin up. Movies load within seconds, but I think a hard drive may have a slight advantage when it comes to thumbnail previews when rewinding or fast-forwarding. I'm approaching 3 TB of movies and haven't noticed any lag associated with lots of content. It seems just as fast as when I started out loading movies to Google Drive. Anyway, really no issues so far. Happy with the performance, and it's convenient, being able to access the drive from anywhere.

February 26, 2019 - 2:45pm
Wassindabox's picture
Beta Tester
Kudos: 2

The ease of it outweighs the errors. I will say I have almost 20tb of data on my google drive (4k tips get big) and my mileage has varied. Thankfully, I have a gigabit internet connection to use but anytime I do big amounts of uploading (I’m still in process of getting everything to the cloud) it will choke on me with “an unknown error occurred.” From what I gathered it’s from loading the video thumbnails that’s causing google to stop me for a 12 or so hours then it goes back to normal. I’m extremely hopeful whenever infuse 6 drops (they’re saying Q1) that this iCloud based meta data support will rid the problem for me. I’m summery it really depends on how big of a library you have and how many devices you’re trying to playback on. I’m in a situation where I’m just grinding through the ruff patches but if I could do it again I would just use a local and with google drive working the mobile devices (they would use far less access)

February 26, 2019 - 3:34pm
Soldiiier's picture

Hmmm, I might run them in tandem for a bit and see if the Gdrive stuff really doesn't slow things down.
With 2 media files on Gdrive I definitely saw delay in scrubbing. My internet is pretty good (for AU standards)

February 26, 2019 - 3:38pm
Wassindabox's picture
Beta Tester
Kudos: 2

I think it has something to do with indexing the drive and google seeing too many calls

July 18, 2019 - 5:36pm
Putterix's picture

I moved all my movies to my G Suite google drive recently, now i get ban every second movie i watch. Is this because too many things loaded in short time or do i have to live with this? As far as i understand the download cap is 10TB for 24 hours so i should not get a ban for 2 movies.

July 18, 2019 - 6:05pm
invincible1914's picture
  Putterix wrote:

I moved all my movies to my G Suite google drive recently, now i get ban every second movie i watch. Is this because too many things loaded in short time or do i have to live with this? As far as i understand the download cap is 10TB for 24 hours so i should not get a ban for 2 movies.

If you just uploaded everything ... you just have to wait it out. Once you get to where you are just updating your library, you wont see that anymore. You must have some great upload speed or are using rclone.

August 2, 2019 - 12:09pm
Putterix's picture

Anyone else having issues watching movies from googledrive? every other day i get the message "an error occured loading this content".

August 13, 2019 - 2:52am
jl0810's picture

Hello - chawagon03 - I am having this EXACT SAME ISSUE. I just recently bought infuse too. Very frustrating as not a single Google Drive file will play! However the same file on Google Drive will run fine if I run it through Plex or Emby. So clearly this is an issue with the Infuse cloud integration. Can someone jump in from Firecore to fix please?

August 13, 2019 - 7:48pm
dtbratt's picture
Beta Tester

I have had issues with Infuse grabbing metadata from Google Drive? It can’t seem to match certain movies and it TV shows.

August 13, 2019 - 7:59pm
NC Bullseye's picture
Kudos: 383
  dtbratt wrote:

I have had issues with Infuse grabbing metadata from Google Drive? It can’t seem to match certain movies and it TV shows.

A little more info would help. Have you been able to do an edit and have it find the right show? Maybe provide an example of some exact file names that aren't matching?

•Just Another Infuse User• •Not An Employee Of Firecore• •Certified Curmudgeon•

August 13, 2019 - 8:03pm
dtbratt's picture
Beta Tester

Star Trek (2009) as well as some others would not match. Even if I manually did it. It would not find the metadata.

I removed them from the watched folder and did a scan. Then added them back in and ran a scan again and it seemed to correct the issue.

September 4, 2019 - 8:14am
dansoares's picture

I know it's a lot to ask, but wouldn't it be possible to add Rclone encryption support to Infuse?

I have 28TB of encrypted seed and would take months to decrypt.