9 posts / 0 new / Last post
#1  December 3, 2018 - 8:18pm
gigatoaster's picture
Kudos: 1

Hello there

It's going to be one month since I use Infuse. I'm totally convinced so I took the yearly subscription and I'm happy so far. Just one thing, I had buffering once so I had to chose the "legacy" protocol for SMB.

I am considering now a Synology NAS DS718+ with 2x4TB or 2x8TB. Today, I download on my Mac mini with uTorrent 4K UHD HDR movies and I use an Apple TV 4K with Infuse and all works like a charm.

I have the following questions:

1. If anyone using Synology NAS + Apple TV 4K + Infuse...could you share your feedback, what you like, what you don't?
2. How noisy is the NAS and do you have recommendations regarding low-noise HDD?
3. Can I use 1 bay for the movies and the second for backing-up the first HDD? Would that be the recommended workflow and what setting-up shall I need to do?
4. Would it be possible to leave 1 TB for a Time Machine?
5. What protocol shall I use to avoid buffering on Infuse? Do I need to configure "SMB Legacy" on the NAS, too?
6. Shall I install a torrent client on the NAS directly or shall I still use the Mac mini and transfer the downloaded file once completed to the NAS?
7. Will 1 Gbps ethernet be enough for playback without buffering?

Thanks in advance for taking the time to read my message!

December 4, 2018 - 8:53am
coops's picture
Kudos: 12

I use a Synology NAS myself, and stram tv and movies to my Apple Tv4k over 5gHz wifi (the NAS lives upstairs, so noise isn't relevant - but it is quiet). !Gbs ethernet will be even better and no, you won't have to worry about any buffering.

QNAP is also well regarded, but both it & Synology have a good range of software they can run - your Synology has a Torrent downloader available from Synology themselves, and works fine.

To point #3 - no, you don't specify which bay or drive yo copy files to.... best to have at least two drives (may as well get 8Tb ones...) and set it up in a RAID array... there are different RAID setups you can choose (have a search and read) but I just sue Synology Hybrid setup - this has one disk tolerance for failure. Means IF one disk fails you don't lose any data - replace the bad disk, and rebuild the array and all will be well (this has happened once with a bad drive).

When using Torrent clients or, err, alternatives, you should be using a VPN - you can setup the Synology to always connect to internet through your chosen VPN provider.

Yes, you can do Time Machine backups to it - and many, many other things besides.
https://www.synology.com/en-global/knowledgebase/DSM/tutorial/Backup_Res...

December 4, 2018 - 11:06pm
gigatoaster's picture
Kudos: 1

Thanks for your reply. It looks like there are a lot of settings, judging by reading the article you mentioned.

I'll use mainly the NAS for storing the movies, I'll see later if I will use it as a second TM.

I think I'll buy it next month. If others have feedback on their usage, please don't hesitate!

December 5, 2018 - 8:50am
victorhamesse's picture
Kudos: 0

I've been a long time user of Netgear ReadyNAS units. Since converting to Apple hardware for my user stuff I've looked at Synology from time to time but never seen the advantages. I've just changed out all my Netgear NAS units for new versions and have now (6months ago) switched to using InFuse to stream to the Apple TVs (also new). Can't fault the Netgear NAS units at all. I don't use Time Machine but I do stream Audio (to Sonos units) as well as Video and using the NAS for file storage with backups from CCC.

Video goes direct from the NAS to the ATV - no Mac in the way.

I bought 3x ReadyNAS 424s with WD40EFRX drives.

December 6, 2018 - 9:20am
coops's picture

ps If your router (like an Asus) supports plugging in a hard drive and using it as a Network drive - you could try that first with one WD Red 8tb drive in an external case. The Synology is great for Raid protection and running apps continuously in the backgorund (liek torrent clients amongst many other useful functions) but if you don't need or want that, then a 'dumb' network drive would work fine for file storage and access.

December 6, 2018 - 11:52am
bluskye's picture
Kudos: 14

All the previous answers are wrong.

Old computer, NAS drives, and one of these:
https://www.freenas.org/
http://openmediavault.org/

December 6, 2018 - 4:31pm
NC Bullseye's picture
Kudos: 252
  bluskye wrote:

All the previous answers are wrong.

Little harsh wouldn't you say?

How about saying "another option is....."

•Just Another Infuse User• •Not An Employee Of Firecore• •Certified Curmudgeon•

December 7, 2018 - 8:27am
JarvisMeier's picture

Synology also has a cheap single drive NAS.

December 7, 2018 - 2:21pm
jedgarau's picture
Kudos: 5

“3. Can I use 1 bay for the movies and the second for backing-up the first HDD? Would that be the recommended workflow and what setting-up shall I need to do?”

I am not sure I would have the backup in the same place as the originals - it feels like tempting fate. All you need is for the power to do something freaky, a spillage or any number of other things and you could loose both at the same time. In terms of workflow, I use apps like carbon copy cloner because they are really easy to use and you can create any workflow you want