10 posts / 0 new / Last post
#1  December 26, 2018 - 5:44am
ssjandres's picture
Kudos: 0

Hi,

I'm loving Infuse so far. Everything loads super quickly (720p and even 1080p remuxes of 30-50 GB).

HOWEVER, when playing 4k mkv's, the loading animation is on for about 10-35 seconds before the mkvs start playing: it takes 10-35 seconds to load a new 4k mkv, to load after scrolling forward in the video, to load after skipping 10 seconds of video playback, to load after changing the audio channel, or adding subtitles. Playback is great after it starts: no buffering at any point. But any change that you do while playing or opening a new 4k file takes a while to load.

Is this behavior expected?

Some 4k mkv's are only 15gb, and they take >10 seconds, while some 1080p mkv remuxes are ~35gb and only take a second or less to load, to fast forward, to load subtitles, or change audio tracks.

Can I do something else to make 4k mkv's load faster? Is there a setting I'm missing that is making 4k playback particularly slow?

I'm using a Windows 10 PC with a core i7 8700k, an RTX 2080, and 16gb of ram to store my content. I use an Apple TV 4k to stream the content from the PC using Infuse (latest version). I have tried ethernet and wifi on both the PC and the Apple TV (all 4 possible combinations). I have a 300/300 Mbits connection, and I've made sure the speeds are really that fast, both for download and upload.

Thanks in advance for your help!

December 27, 2018 - 2:05pm
james's picture
Staff
Kudos: 1,279

Welcome to the forum!

One quick thing you can try is to adjust the SMB version as described here.
https://support.firecore.com/hc/en-us/articles...

For a bit of background, Infuse will use SMB3 by default, if supported by your source device. SMB3 also has optional full packet encryption, which can cause some slowness when streaming large videos. The way to avoid this is to disable the encryption options in Windows, or simply select SMB2 (or Legacy) in Infuse.

Infuse 6 for iOS and Apple TV is now available!

December 27, 2018 - 5:01pm
ssjandres's picture
  james wrote:

Welcome to the forum!

One quick thing you can try is to adjust the SMB version as described here.
https://support.firecore.com/hc/en-us/articles...

For a bit of background, Infuse will use SMB3 by default, if supported by your source device. SMB3 also has optional full packet encryption, which can cause some slowness when streaming large videos. The way to avoid this is to disable the encryption options in Windows, or simply select SMB2 (or Legacy) in Infuse.

Thanks for your response!

Unfortunately using SMB2 or Legacy did not reduce the loading times. I also played with the encryption options in Windows, but loading times didn't improve either.

If it's normal for large 4k mkv files (40-50gb) with HDR to take a while to start playing or to respond to changes in playback options, that's fine. I'm still loving the app.

I just thought I might have configured some of the settings incorrectly. It would be nice to be able to fast forward or rewind without having to wait ~30 seconds with these larger files to resume playing, but maybe Infuse 6 will work better?

Anyways, thanks again for your help!

December 28, 2018 - 2:15am
Magenof's picture
Kudos: 3

For me a 4k movie of about 70gb starts in 3 seconds, so I think its your setup. Also fastforwarding is really smooth.
Most of the time the problem is bad network or slow hard drives in these situations.

My setup:
NAS
Plex integration
AC5400 router for blazing fast wifi
Apple tv connected with wifi

December 28, 2018 - 5:12am
ssjandres's picture
  Magenof wrote:

For me a 4k movie of about 70gb starts in 3 seconds, so I think its your setup. Also fastforwarding is really smooth.
Most of the time the problem is bad network or slow hard drives in these situations.

My setup:
NAS
Plex integration
AC5400 router for blazing fast wifi
Apple tv connected with wifi

Thank you so much Magenof! I would've tried to be ok with the long loading times if you hadn't shared this.

So like I said, I have decent internet speed (300/300, which is more like 320/350 when testing) and pings are 2ms. The pc I used is pretty fast, and I even tried transferring a file to the NVME m.2 ssd to see if the hdd was the problem. But nothing.

I had NOT tried using the Plex server cause I thought: well, that's just extra steps to get the video; it cannot beat just reading it directly from Windows. But it turns out that using the Plex integration, the same videos that took 30 seconds to load, start in only 2-5 like you said. Scrolling back and forth through the video is also very quick (1-2 seconds).

Thanks again! This app is great and I rarely get answers so fast for my inquiries anywhere, so this is great as well!

(Also, while trying to figure out the problem, my upload speeds would only use 50-60 Mbps when loading or fast forwarding a 4k file. Using the Plex integration, they now can go up to 240 Mbps. I had tried different methods for not limiting the upload bandwidth through Windows, but it seems that didn't work. I think that the problem is Windows not allowing full upload speeds through their native sharing preferences. Might help if Infuse figures that out for people that just use a PC to store their media without the need to go through the plex server).

December 31, 2018 - 2:41am
Jecht_Sin's picture
Kudos: 18
  ssjandres wrote:

So like I said, I have decent internet speed (300/300, which is more like 320/350 when testing) and pings are 2ms. The pc I used is pretty fast, and I even tried transferring a file to the NVME m.2 ssd to see if the hdd was the problem. But nothing.

Your internet connection speed is nearly irrelevant. And so it should be the speed of your PC (the SMB server). My NAS has less computing power of a low range smartphone and it still does the job.

(Also, while trying to figure out the problem, my upload speeds would only use 50-60 Mbps when loading or fast forwarding a 4k file. Using the Plex integration, they now can go up to 240 Mbps. I had tried different methods for not limiting the upload bandwidth through Windows, but it seems that didn't work. I think that the problem is Windows not allowing full upload speeds through their native sharing preferences. Might help if Infuse figures that out for people that just use a PC to store their media without the need to go through the plex server).

This instead is interesting. It means the local connection is good (Plex does its job), but you have performance issues sharing via SMB. Unfortunately I am no Windows expert (I own a Mac), but for starting I'd see if it is possible to clean up all SMB configurations on Windows side. You should google this a bit (search for "Windows SMB slow" or something similar). This may help: https://www.tenforums.com/network-sharing/2806...

December 31, 2018 - 5:04am
ssjandres's picture
  Jecht_Sin wrote:

This instead is interesting. It means the local connection is good (Plex does its job), but you have performance issues sharing via SMB. Unfortunately I am no Windows expert (I own a Mac), but for starting I'd see if it is possible to clean up all SMB configurations on Windows side. You should google this a bit (search for "Windows SMB slow" or something similar). This may help: https://www.tenforums.com/network-sharing/2806...

Hi Jecht_Sin, thanks for your response!

Disabling the Large Send Offload did not work, but I'll try to look for Windows slow SMB solutions.

Are there any benefits to not using the Plex Server? Are the upload speeds that I'm seeing not taking up any bandwidth of my internet upload speed in either case (windows SMB or plex server)?

Thanks again for your help!

December 31, 2018 - 5:14pm
JarvisMeier's picture
Beta Tester
Kudos: 66
  ssjandres wrote:

Disabling the Large Send Offload did not work, but I'll try to look for Windows slow SMB solutions.

Are there any benefits to not using the Plex Server? Are the upload speeds that I'm seeing not taking up any bandwidth of my internet upload speed in either case (windows SMB or plex server)?

Internet upload speeds are only relevant if you are watching remotely away from your home network. Wi-Fi speed on your home network is more important for fast viewing. Most routers supplied by your ISP have crappy wifi. I recommend hard wiring your Apple TV into an available Ethernet port.

January 1, 2019 - 12:52am
Jecht_Sin's picture
Kudos: 18
  ssjandres wrote:

Are there any benefits to not using the Plex Server?

It depends. In your case, since your Plex and SMB servers are in the same PC, you might be better off using Plex. But if you have your files stored in a NAS and the Plex server in a PC (or worse, laptop you take away from home) it may become a pain. Then I don't remember if Infuse just uses Plex to share the videos (resources), or if it keeps the Plex library structure. Also SMB once it works you can use it and forget about it.

Are the upload speeds that I'm seeing not taking up any bandwidth of my internet upload speed in either case (windows SMB or plex server)?

What JarvisMeier (and I, previously) said. Your internet speed for local use is nearly irrelevant. It should be mostly used for iCloud/Trakt login/synching, video scrubbing, downloading subtitles. And sure, if you upstream your video (via Plex - I don't believe Infuse has that functionality) to a remote location outside your LAN. But for local usage (thus in the LAN) you are better having the best connection between your PC and the ATV. Personally I have all wired to a 8 ports 1Gbps ethernet HUB, which covers all devices in my room.

My NAS CPU is slow, but a 4K HDR video with high bitrate won't take more than a couple of seconds to start via SMB. Then each protocol (SMB, Plex, webDAV, NFS, etc) behaves as it likes. For some reasons Plex was usually snappier the times I tested it. With my NAS NFS instead is a nightmare and I gave up on it. I was using webDAV, but eventually I reached the conclusion that SMB was the most supported by Infuse (and my NAS), the speed and latency were decent (and more consistent) so I decided to stick with it.

Again, in your case something might be wrong with your SMB server/connection. Always keep the ATV and servers wired together if you can. WiFi can be a huge pain in the neck, especially for LAN connections where you want max speed like in this case.

January 1, 2019 - 9:52pm
JarvisMeier's picture
Beta Tester
Kudos: 66
  ssjandres wrote:

The other you could try is an iperf from a wireless device to your file server. That’ll give you raw TCP and UDP performance numbers for your network configuration.